Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new lodge "cook it all" and the old lodge #14 beast of a DO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9FF3BCA-A94A-417A-A997-40382621A5C4.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	589344

Name:	A467E685-25C4-4D8E-A0E6-DDCAB5E80A64.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	589346

Name:	B24360F4-6487-4CF5-AB75-4EFBB150D83A.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	589345

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha, Yeah not sure how I let that happen.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you have the chance to give this a whirl?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven’t used it yet. It’s a bit odd for the stuff I know how to cook well, so it may have to wait for some inspiration.

I do like to cook with coals above and below my DOs, so I’m thinking pizza may be worth a shot it this.

This guy sells on CL in STL. When I need something, I have his # in my cell. I don't know how, but he always gets it..

Comment

texastweeter
    (I moved the discussion of your gem pan to this thread so we don't high jack the Butter Pat thread, I hope you don't mind)

You are in luck! You found a true gem, my friend! This pan does appear to be real, although you can see tell there was considerable corrosion. So great job on your restoration! The condition makes it a bit tough to identify if it is a fake or not. However, it appears, to me, to be real.

Somethings to look at.... The small feet on the under side of the pan should be about 1 inch long. This is a classic style of Grisowld gem pans. Additionally, the handles on each end should be roughly D-shaped. This appears to be the case, but in a mint pan, this feature is pretty pronounced. (see photo below) Your pan is also stamped with the "U.S.A" logo. Which means it was cast by Griswold after 1950. (Probably, shortly before they sold the name and trademarks to Wagner in 1957.)

As for a dollar value? In mint condition, like the one below, you be looking at $150, to a serious collector. Something tells me that you are not really concerned with how much your pan is worth. To me, it's more about owning a piece of history!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8125.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	590689Click image for larger version  Name:	761-c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	590690

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as worried about value, well making crispy cornbread sticks is PRICELESS! Thank you my friend!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah they were pretty bad. Had to scrub the beejesus out of them with potatoes and salt, plus a pass through the oven on self clean before 4 coats of canola for seasoning, then bacon grease. They are servicable now.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem! Again, great work on your restoration. If you have any other vintage pieces, I would be cool to see what you have. texastweeter

COPCO 7101. Anyonk know anything about this piece? History, date? Its a saucepan with dual spouts, and a wooden handle. Do i have to season it on the range, or can i wrap the handle in a damp dishwrag, then heavily in foil and season in oven as normal?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by texastweeter; November 19, 2018, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      They usually make tea pots and kettles. With a wooden handle, you don't want to season it is an oven. You best best is to use a grill and keep the handle off to the side. Oil, heat the pot upside down, allow it to smoke. Not sure on the year, But I would bet that it is not too old. Probably in the 20-30 year range, maybe newer. Wooden handles do not stand up to time very well.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, came from an estate sale aling with a skillet that i will post here in a bit that i had to clean up and reseason as well. I think it is an old BSR, which are FANTASTIC even if not worth much Spinaker the sauce pot was almost pristine, just covered in dust. A good wash and scrub and one coat of seasoning, and it looked new.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Copco (as seen on the bottom of the pot) is still around and they primarily make drink ware, although they no longer make cast iron products. They are made in Denmark, which is pretty cool. If you look close on the back, you can see this.

Yeah i saw that, and a search of the old interweb brought back exactly ONE copy of this pot sold at auction for an undisclised amount. Everything else i found was enamel on new stuff.

Comment

My wonderful girlfriend got me a present and it was not sent discreetly. So I got to open it early. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_133416.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	610883

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You are gonna love that grill! They are fantastic. I like to use it for frying too. Use a No. 10 skillet to cover thicker cuts. It is also fun to cook with it along side another grill, for sides and what not. Excellent for steak skewers over high fire.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife gave me one for my b-day and we use it as Spinaker suggests. We leave it on the patio table and use it every time we are in the backyard having a cocktail. It come in handy as a hand warmer and for smores. 😎

Originally posted by Slieb845 View Post
      My wonderful girlfriend got me a present and it was not sent discreetly. So I got to open it early. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_133416.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	610883
      Secret Santa burgers for lunch as we speak:

Name:	20181223_143825.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	611717

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        DANG!!!, Brother

Droolin, down here in Kansas Territory!!!

Enjoy them sweet lookin burgers, yall...

I love cast iron and have pretty much gone to cooking on it exclusively. I do still use my stock pots for making stock and boiling pasta though. I have Lodge, Field, Stargazer, cheap foreign stuff, and vintage of various makes including a Griswald griddle that has been passed down in the family for decades - the logo dates it to 1919-1921. I've got skillets, a wok, gem pans (I love ginger gems), an Æbleskiver pan, casseroles, an oyster cooker, Dutch ovens, and a big 35 lb Bayou Classic Jambalaya pot with lid and flat bottom given to me by a friend - I use it on the stove for deep frying.

I would have to dig it all out from various cabinets and closets to photograph it - a major undertaking that I don't have time for right now. I am lusting after the Marquette Castings No. 13 but the price is too high for now.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I love my Marquette. I used it to sear up some PR!

Found these on th doorstep. today...now, since I'm on Holiday, I slept in til a (relatively) leisurely 0715, but I Suwannee, ain't nobody ever ding-donged my doorbell, or knocked...Santa can be purty sneaky, sometimes, I reckon...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181225_222347.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	613053
      Loop De Loop
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20181225_222354.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	613054
      These will be Suh-Weet, in my cookers, since they lack th 'Rat-Tail' Handle of a normal skillet, meanin they'll fit, better...

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice I recently picked up a 12" double handled lodge and have been using it all the time. I think I'm going to need one size up a couple down.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Fire 'em up Mr. Bones! All loops no handle = cover on pit!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah Bones!!!! I love it. Those are some great pans for the Grill and the kitchen. Happy Holidays, brother!

This Marquette is an amazing skillet. I can't get over how amazing the cooing surface is. I was having trouble griping this roast without it sliding on the cook surface. This baby is a searing machine!

Name:	IMG_3257.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	613318

Name:	IMG_3255.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	613317

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful piece of artwork, Brother!

That's yer new #13?, iirc?

Very Cool, Indeed!

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! Mr. Bones

The 12.

Name:	DC89D164-FAED-4AAA-B49C-0F28E39246AC.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	614136

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Mine should be on the way! It's gotta be a beast!

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not as heavy as you’d expect. For the price I’d say it’s hard to beat stargazer stuff. Some of these modern pans are just crazy priced.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool looking piece of CI!

Whats the best way to clean cast iron? I cooked cheese burgers on the grill in my cast pan and its a nasty cheesy mess. I am fairly newer to cast so advise would be nice, lol.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, Bones has it.

Hot-arsed water, plastic scraper, if needed, nylon scrubbie, then re-oil yer pan, an re-season it, if it looks hurt, finish-wise...

What Kinda CI pan ya got? We'd LOVE to see pics...

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also. Don’t let it sit in the first place scrape the big stuff off with your spatula. Clean immediately or as soon as you can handle it. Dried-on stuff is a pain.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        If you need grit to get some stubborn stuff off you can use a little bit of salt. Once that baby is well seasoned you won't need to worry about it again!

I added a few CI pans to the Arsenal this week. My wife and kids got me an 8” and 10” lodge as well as a 12” pan that has Pioneer Woman brand on it. I’m sure it’s basically a lodge. But the cooking surface looks pretty good, a bit smoother than the two lodge pans.

Got those seasoned and then fried up some of my bacon in them! A little bit of stick to them but cleaned out and rubbed down again and back to the oven.

So these are added to my other two 12” pans, a lodge and an Emeril pan, that is about 15 years old and fries eggs like nobodies business! As well as my CI griddle that cooks some mean smash burgers and my round 10” griddle type pan. Not sure if the enameled stuff counts here? Have a few of those that I love!

I told my wife recently I should have never bought the fancy stainless pans a few years back and just got CI....well she is helping with that!

maybe one of these days I’ll take the leap and get that Finex 12” I’ve been eyeing ever since I joined this site!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a great Collection, Brother!

Enameled definitely counts, in my World of CI...

To Everything, There Is A Season...

(AKA Bless Th House With Clouds Of Lignan...)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20181227_201939.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.48 MB ID:	614246
      Bein's how I noticed that there was a distinct lack of smoke in th house, (@0% ) here, I reckoned it might be an propitious occasion, upon which to embark in some Cast Iron Cookery Seasonin...

Always a nice Win-Win way to both warm up th Ol Homestead, an accomplish some Culinary Good, without actually havin to do too much.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20181227_201958.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	614247
      Some evenins call fer jus such a regimen...

Conceivably, Bourbon could be included, in this activity, if one had such an inclination...

As Fate would have it, this very night, an accomplished connoissuer of fine delectables happened by, to offer some sagacity, experience, an preferences...Certainly, my Good Fortune, at this point......
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20181227_202004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.25 MB ID:	614256 My landlord's recent placement of a non-serviceable/non-silenceable detector in my kitchen, ~6' from my stove, means that I kinda haveta fudge around th Seasonin Rituals that I used to enjoy, an embrace, so, I kinda haveta approach it, a bit more gently...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20181227_213901.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.79 MB ID:	614257
      So, 350°, fer half an hour; lotta smoke, set off th kitch detector, momentarily...made th fool mistake of openin th oven door. Bad Choice, respiratory-wise.

Yes, th Lignan-soaked paper towel was removed, prior to any actual Seasonin...

400° half hour...almost no smoke, can almost see th stove, now, from where I sit, an type this missive...
      450° half hour, with my Avacado Green range hood still rollin on "Low", fer th last solid hour, plus...
      When we achieve completion of 450°, here shortly...

500°, 1 Hour, comin up...we're in th Countdown...

Workin on th last bit of 500°, before I go to bed...

500°, Oven "OFF", Check!

Load a pic or two, then Sleepy Sleepy Time...
      After alla this workup, I wanna make it count...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 28, 2018, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice write up brother!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here