Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Bones

"Still goin' ~500° fer each round of flax seasonin', brother?
    Any different with th' Crispbee?
    Always learnin', 'til I dirtnap, one day...
    Still usin' th' kamado, as well?"

Bones,
    With this piece, I have to use the oven. Little Boy won't fit in the KEG. For the first few coats, I still use flax oil. I haven't found anything better. However, I throw Crisbees on because it works well too, and it throws a gorgeous black sheen on the iron. That color is different than the bronze color that you see when you season with Flax Oil. That is why your Field Skillet came to you with a brownish tint. Finex is the same way.

I like my Cast iron to have a jet-black sheen to it. That is where the Crisbee leaf lard comes in. Leaf lard has more lignin in it than the standard Crisbee, and that what you need for solid base layers. Flax oil has more still, but I don't care for the bronze color it imparts to the iron, as much.

When using Crisbee, I run the kamado a bit cooler, around 425-450 F. The best part of seasoning in the Kamado, is the cooling time. The slower the pan cools, the more time that lattice (seasoning) has to bond together. This delayed cooling is the real advantage of using the kamado.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem. It's just a fun hobby. Mudkat

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! I use the Akorn for seasoning now. Have you ever used grapeseed oil? My last few pans, I used it, and it works really well. I am going to try one of those pucks though.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have used grapeseed oil a few times, it does work very well too. Great to hear you are using your Akorn for seasoning. Thunder77

My first piece of CI. May it grow and multiply...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	402062

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats and Welcome to the Brother/sisterhood! You are going to love that chef’s skillet. Great for sliding eggs right out of the pan!!!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good one!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you like this so far.

Name:	C9C41BB3-BC15-4ED2-998B-9838A93C4EB2.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	402172Click image for larger version

Name:	41C49893-B345-4684-A8DD-F273C706EFB8.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	402171 LI just picked up a new addition to the collection. The Lodge 14” Baking pan. (P14P3) it fits perfectly into the 18.5 inch KEG. The sides are low profile and the bottom is really thick. I reckon this will be perfect for searing up some steaks in beef love or duck fat.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet it would work well for pizza. I am not really on that Pizza train, but you should buy one and give it a shot! Craigar

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Jill has put me on restrictions for buying for myself since Christmas is just around the corner, so it is at the top of my Christmas list. Maybe I will order one and just have her wrap an empty box.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan to me! Craigar

Just picked up another Griswold number 8 today. Good price and good condition. Will need bath and seasoning. But I have a question. Which one is older. My previous one has small griswold emblem on bottom with no 8 amd 704 I. One today has large emblem and cast iron skillet in large letters. Click image for larger version

Name:	1509411746008417421529.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	403892

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice find Richard P

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      Mudkat Thanks.

Spinaker thanks for info. The large logo one is a bit thiner than small logo and lighter. Will post pics after bath in the other post. Thanks again.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      that was very typical of those older castings. Very desirable by smaller users.

Found this skillet for 2 bucks. Rust appears to be surface. Number 10 on handle but inscribed with 11 3/4 inch skilet on back and an s on lower side of handle. Will post pics after bath. This one might be
    Interesting. Never really know what you will get till after bath.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	1509450434811-1836599054.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	404008Click image for larger version

Name:	1509450524874343075757.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	404009

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      So it was cast in about 1952-1957. That S is a production mark by the casting mold. Richard P

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker It is a shame when even dealers let the old cast iron just sit in the rain and fill up with water. Lots of the old kettle pots froze and cracked in the bottom because of neglect. See them all over the place around here especially in the mountain areas used as flower pots because of the cracked bottoms. Shame.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, that stuff really sucks. i saw a Cast iron cauldron the other day that was totally ruined because some one wanted to plant a huge set of flowers in it. The soil froze in the winter and cracked the huge vessel right down the middle. Total shame. Richard P

All I can say is WOW !

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Junp in on the fun!

It is finally time to get this awesome piece in the bath and back to being a gorgeous piece of cookware. I bought this piece for almost nothing in Colorado last spring. I found it in a small antique store outside of Denver. Part of me wishes that is was used by some old cowboy before heading into the mountains.
    I am lucky I have the electrolysis bath, because I can't imagine trying to clean that coil handle, by hand. That would take some serious elbow grease, as would the interior of the Waffle maker.

Name:	Griswold No.8 Waffle maker.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	404199Click image for larger version

Name:	Griwold Waffle Maker NO. 8 : Open.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	404200

Comment

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      All I can say is awsome. Have seen some around but were total wrecks and not worth any effort to try and fix. Can not wait to see it when finished.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't wait for this one!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys. It will take some TLC for sure, but it should be pretty great when it is done. kmhfive Richard P Mudkat

Spinaker Found this today. Feel like this is not a Wagner but some kind of knockoff maybe. Its does not have smooth inside bottom normally on a wagner but it is intersting and I like the shape of the handle. Made in USA?
    Is this a true Wagner? Do not know, but for price it will make it to collection. If under $25 and unique it usually comes home. This one will look better when cleaned.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_123053.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	415445

Name:	20171125_123146.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	415446

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      As Bones mentions, This is a true Wagner.

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, Spinaker Thanks for info.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Brother that is great!

Spinaker Well I finally got rusty pan out of bath and it turned out pretty good and shallow pits are not as deep as they look in pic. Probably alot smoother than botton of new lodge. What do you think.
    From this

Name:	20171104_113716.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	415460

To this. Still needs seasoning

Name:	20171105_163715.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	415461

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wahoo!!!!! You did a great job!!! It looks great. give it a few more rounds of seasoning and it will be looking even better. Often I use my several pitted pieces for searing steaks or decoration. They look great.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good, sez this amateur!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Cast Iron rescues are awesome! Great work!

This reminds me......I need to get on that Waffle Maker.............

Comment

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker May need to do that if nothing more important comes along. Waiting for colder weather here season some I have cleaned.

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
    Spinaker Found this today. Feel like this is not a Wagner but some kind of knockoff maybe. Its does not have smooth inside bottom normally on a wagner but it is intersting and I like the shape of the handle. Made in USA?
    Is this a true Wagner? Do not know, but for price it will make it to collection. If under $25 and unique it usually comes home. This one will look better when cleaned.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_123053.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	415445

Name:	20171125_123146.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	415446
    A little info on your pan. No unfortunately, it was not made in 1891.

Comment

• Richard P
      Richard P commented
      Editing a comment
      lonnie mac Thanks for link. Knew it was not old but different.

wow that looks like a cast iron kitchen accessory store. which one does your lady use on ya lol......do you get fined at the weigh station .....ha ha ha nice irons you got there Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, thanks!

Currently have a dutch oven in e-bath that was my mothers, not sure how old it is. The only mark on the bottom is an A in a diamond. Anybody have any idea what brand or how old it is. Any info would be helpful.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I will look it up when I get home tonight. I will be able to tell you what it is. In the meantime, do you have any pictures of it?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, I believe it is a Favorite Piqua. I am guessing that once you get the rust and seasoning removed, you will be able to read "miAmi" in the diamond. I will be able to give you more details, once I get home.

• Georgia rookie 903
      Georgia rookie 903 commented
      Editing a comment
      hey @IronBulldog , if no one else on here can tell ya try https:// thePan-handler.com unfortunately this site will take a long time according to what I read
      Last edited by Georgia rookie 903; November 25, 2017, 08:15 PM.

Not before i put it in the bath. It has a cast handle on the pot and the lid is an 8 1/2 D. I couldnt find that makers mark on any sites i looked at. I will post pics tomorrow when it comes out of the bath it was pretty carboned up.

Comment

I was thinking Favorite Piqua as well.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 8.07.06 PM.png
Views:	204
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	415622

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. That is a Piqua. Circa 1916-1935.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here