Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought myself a Lodge 5 qt deep skillet yesterday, half price at Amazon. Can't wait to try out some fried chicken in it.

Comment

I have some great, new iron coming in this week!

1) My Stargazer 12" will be arriving tomorrow.
    2) My Lodge 10.5" square skillet and 2-5" square skillets.
    3) The New Lodge Fish Fryer is on the way too!

Gonna be a great week for Cast Iron!

Comment

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I think in your case MCS = more cast iron syndrome. Some nice adds to your collection.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      That 12” stargazer is dead on perfect. I find excuses to cook in it.

That fish pan looks great, but I can’t quite see what to use it for apart from frying a full length filet from a sea monster.

Thanks Spinaker I bought this fish pan during my shift right after service.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!!!! Can't wait till you get it. You are the frying king, brother!

Thanks to Spinaker putting up a post for Lodge having a sale, I just got these today. Click image for larger version

Name:	346723DA-1623-49E9-87F7-65F804452DD6.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	642481

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      One giant pancake!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Wowie gazowie! Judging by the picture you use it to put other pans and accessories in it. 😀

I want one of those pancakes HawkerXP!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Pizza!!!

I think I might need that 😃 pan?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah you do. 👊👊

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't say if ya need one, or not, but I LOVE mine!

Having so much trouble resisting. Think Spinaker got us all hooked on this. Got the three pans from Smithey in one cart and the lodge fis pan in another. May have to pull both triggers.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      You didn't know. Spinaker has stock in all CI companies. HAHAHA

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Do it up! The more the better. (or something lie that)

The new Stargazer made it yesterday! This is a first production run pan. The casting date is stamped on the helper handle, which makes this piece unique.

The pan is beast. I think the handle is probably 9" long, and feel great in my large hands. My first impression of the cooking surface is how smooth it is. It does not appear to be satin like many of the new pans that are coming out, as ion late. I have already done a few high temp bakes at 500 F for 5 hours. I am using Flax for these initial rounds, but I will work in a tallow round to darken the seasoning up.
    Overall, it seems like it is going to be a great pan, and I LOVE the handle, just like on my NO 10.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	54EA19C6-3062-4C87-8C6F-E120CF4583A3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	643363Click image for larger version

Name:	0E5DAF3C-D1D4-4834-AD3D-0FBF2EAB059E.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	643364Click image for larger version

Name:	B993E371-04DD-4B11-B67D-E9A29AE53B83.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	643365

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Run it just like you would a flax round, like we talked about last night. I just like the tallow because of the black sheen it will give the pan.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine is smooth but not glasslike. It is holding a single seasoning round perfectly.

I think it is their "satin" finish, but maybe not what others would call "satin". I call it the best surface ever that I didn’t have to do anything to. You can see my seasoned 12 a few posts back.
      Last edited by Polarbear777; March 2, 2019, 10:54 PM.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Darn, that shine man!!

Welp, I'm spoiled.
    This birthday present came today from my family; the Finex 12" Williams Sonoma edition with Copper Handle. I was beyond astounded; I had no idea they knew I'd been eyeballing this thing for over a year, and the price tag put it way out of my "reasonable" purchase league.
    I've got a 12" lodge pan I polished and beat up daily and the pizza pan I use on a regular basis that I'd never part with, but this baby's about to take the place of honor in my kitchen. Can you say heirloom?
    I'll post more pics of use later after more seasoning....whew..

Name:	IMG-6793.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	644617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6794.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	644618 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6795.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	644619 ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my goodness! That is a piece of art right there!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice, congrats!

• Flavorsavor
      Flavorsavor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you all! I've had some interesting experiences with this pan, I'll start a thread this weekend

Name:	A66BE778-D361-483F-85E2-4116A583C927.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	644761 I figure a zoomed in shot of the SG12 is in order. If you are looking for a 12” pan, I don’t see how it’s possible to beat this as it’s also not as expensive as many.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I am going to rip my first cook tonight, on my new No. 12!

Well folks, the New Lodge Fish Pan has arrived! I always love an unboxing of new Cast iron, and this was nothing different. I love the Legacy Series box and they also included a small cook book with some history of the Fish Pan. How cool is that?!? (Okay, I admit, I am probably more into this than most.)

Name:	IMG_3708.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	645783Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3709.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	645784

At first glance, the iron is thinner to help trim weight. (This is still a hefty pa n, though)The inside of the pan is expansive and should allow ample room for a big Minnesota Walleye fish fry! The wire handles that come with the pan are robust and should work great for moving the pan around. They fit right into the handles that are casted onto the pan. The casted handles are a throw back to the original design, which I love.

Name:	IMG_3711.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	645781
    The under side of the pan is simple, but that is how I want it as it will sit flat across a variety of cooking surfaces. In the past, the fish pans had little feet on them, which makes it tough to use indoors.

Name:	IMG_3710.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	645780
    Finally, and this is what I am most pumped for, is that it sits right on top of the Lodge SMG! This will make for some really fun fish fries this summer, I can't wait to fill this baby up with peanut oil and drop in some Walleye, Bluegill and Crappie!

Name:	IMG_3713.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	645782
    All in all, I am really pumped to get this Legacy Pan. It is one that I will have forever, and it should get a ton of use! What a great addition to my collection!

Thanks for reading, I will post some pictures as soon as I get the oil going and drop in some fillets!

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Pork rind coated pork chops? Is that legal?

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call! (larry) Grover

Oh, you know it! It is soooo good! @Craigar

Thanks! klflowers

Recently picked up my first piece of Cast Iron. A Lodge Logic 10.25 pre-seasoned skillet $14.90 at Walmart. Per the instructions of YouTube cast iron cooking guru Cowboy Kent Rollins I sanded the pre-seasoning off and built it back up myself from scratch using Grape Seed Oil. I cooked on it for the first time today with good results. But I realize there is a lot to learn.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4f0.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	646942

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      From you I expected a monster burger. :0

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      That does sound good! But we are meat free until Orthodox Easter on April 28th. The first cook on this thing was a Breakfast skillet with taters, onions, cheese, and eggs.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to The Club! This is just the beginning.....

Well it happened again! I picked up some new iron yesterday. I went with the new square Lodge 11" griddle. Which I plan on using on my grills a lot! I love the beefy handles and the smooth surface. I am not a fan of ribbed griddles or grill pans so this will be perfect.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LC11SGR_N.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	650883
    I also picked up a Lodge Shallow 9" Griddle. This round with a throw back to the old round griddles of years past. The cooking surface is slightly elevated and the handle comes up at a steep angle, making it nice when you are sliding various skillets in and out of your oven. These are also great for serving food.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	L8NG3_N.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	650884

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s it Spinaker I have to intervene. I have arranged for you to be placed into a CI rehab treatment plan. 😂😂😂

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s it Spinaker I have to intervene. I am arranging for you to be sent to a CI rehab facility. Hopefully this treatment program will help you at this time of need. 😂😂😂

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol Steve B! Don't you know it's too late, Spinaker is a lost soul. We almost had him, but he slipped through the net...😂😂😂

Jut an update. The entire Chef's Series from Lodge is 20% off today. A great chance to get some more iron on the cheap!

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, man, you're killin' me.

• Larry Grover
      Larry Grover commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I ordered the 11" griddle, what a great design! I love the double handles, and they honored an additional 15% off for signing up for their e-mails. $33.95 with shipping so great deal.

Working on my electrolysis tank for some vintage stuff I bought.

Larry Grover Yes!!! I too love this design, Larry. It should be perfect. It kind of reminds me of the old Griswold Colonial Breakfast skillets. (Only without the dividers and handle) Here is one I salvaged and restored a few months ago. This is a 1934 Casting. I don't really cook with it, but when my niece comes over, she always wants to eat out of it, and I cannot say NO!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3762.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	651287Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3763.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	651286

I am looking forward to seeing your E-Tank results as well!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a terrific piece!

• Larry Grover
      Larry Grover commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a sweet piece and interesting handle. The 3 vintage pieces I acquired is a Griswold #5, BSR chicken fryer and an unknown skillet (too cruddy on bottom to see markings but it has a heat ring.)

I'm thinking two step process here. Lye tank for stripping then electrolysis for rust. Got the idea from a collector who said sometimes pieces are in such bad shape she leaves it in the lye for months. Occasionally removes & scrubs then finishes in electrolysis.
      Last edited by Larry Grover; March 18, 2019, 01:27 PM.

Not the best surface, but a nice design with probe port and it just happens to fit almost perfect on the pk360.

Name:	9D1357C9-2BD1-461C-A110-BF30DA7C1DA7.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	651661

Name:	9822F7C3-F996-4B85-91B1-D9B1ABA23109.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	651660

Name:	5818BB5E-3B68-4A89-90DD-1EE9D6B39B02.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	651663

Name:	50EC2B75-CC3E-4811-AE59-BCB826B91D13.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	651662

Name:	B75D8A3A-AA74-4F28-A7AD-6141C28FA7EF.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	651664

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here