Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Patrol interviews 5 experts (from Smithey, Field, Stargazer etc) regarding best seasoning oil to use.

Verdict: Grapeseed

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/03/19/be...-iron-skillet/

Also, how long does Lodge take to ship? Ordered 4 days ago and no shipment notification yet.
    Last edited by Larry Grover; March 20, 2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You should have it by now. Or at least have a shipping notification. Give them a call. They will be able to help you.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Grapeseed is all I use now to season my pans.

Finally have a 12" CI skillet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4198.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	653950

Got it seasoned up on the stovetop with a bunch of coats of avocado oil and a couple coats of tallow.

And some hog fat, of course.

Name:	IMG_4199.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	653951

Barely even got yelled at for buying it, too.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	E124DF99-00A7-4DA6-91E2-1ECC75B3FDBF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	660032 Arrived today. 5 quart

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      ... 👍 ...

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great for baking bread as well!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! That'll come in handy at the Meatups! Jambalaya rules!

Name:	F1490B69-7F30-4B04-A8A8-E8C402990B6F.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	660073

Comment

Name:	13621131-2AC0-4482-A846-10FCC264279A.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	660114Click image for larger version

Name:	698FDD09-BC23-4F93-A9AC-BB1D35F8DC78.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	660115

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Purrty.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        How are you liking that DO?

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        This DO is clearly overkill. I got it on sale and I’m not sure I’d get it again. It’s good and looks nice but I don’t think I’d justify recommending it for value. If someone wanted only one and the 10” skillet to match the lid I’d say yes. Otherwise you could buy lodges in several sizes.

Picked this up, so cruddy couldn't tell what brand it is. After a week of lye bath followed by one day of electrolysis it stripped down well but still dont see any markings.

The only identifier is #8 on the top of the handle. Appears blank on the back side. Its heavy and the walls are thick so I'm thinking it was 1940's to 50's? It's smooth on the inside but more pebbly (like a Lodge) on the outside.

Also, it has a crack but appears to have been repaired and it holds liquid. Would you guys still consider this a user? Also how should I go about knocking out that last bit of stubborn carbonized seasoning? I'm thinking wire wheel...or back in the lye? I also have a Griswold with the same issue. I already tried Barkeepers Friend with 00 steel wool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190329_155152.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	660334Click image for larger version  Name:	20190405_082127.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	660335Click image for larger version  Name:	20190405_082030.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	660336Click image for larger version  Name:	20190405_082424.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	660337
      Last edited by Larry Grover; April 5, 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a Wagner. probably cast in the 30's. The heat ring on the bottom is a pretty good indicator of this. Wagner often made pans for other companies and did not stamp them or cast them with ID markers. If it is cracked, it is also warped. I would not consider it a user, but you can certainly hang it for decoration. I have done that with quite a few of my "spinners".

• Larry Grover
        Larry Grover commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Thanks for the info, what a bummer because I had big plans for this one. I guess I'll season it up and give it a proper retirement as decoration.
        Last edited by Larry Grover; April 5, 2019, 05:36 PM.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You can still use it. But it would probably be better for the grill or camp fire.

Skillet Row:

Name:	IMG_4217.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	660600

She didn't like it when I pointed out the fact that now that all the cast iron doesn't live in the oven I have room for more...

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        very nice!

Got the new Lodge dual-handle griddle. I gave it the Kent Rollins 80-grit mouse sanding for 10 minutes. Then applied four coats of seasing: 2 Crisco & 2 Crisbee's Larbee Puck.

Cooked up some ground beef & onions followed by bacon & eggs. The eggs stuck a little but it scrubbed out easy.

I like that Larbee sheen....
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it! I got one as well! What a great new pan. That Chef's series is pretty cool.

Name:	cast iron2.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	661317 I'm an accumulator not a collector. Here are pictures of 2 pieces my Mom just gave me. They belonged to her mother. Grandma was happy to get the pot because it would fit in one of the eyes on her wood stove. She used the griddle for a pot lid.Click image for larger version

Name:	cast iron.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	661315Click image for larger version

Name:	cast iron1.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	661316

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very Nice! I love the really old ones, where you can see the gate mark on the bottom. This is where it was actually knocked off the casting. So Cool! Thanks for sharing.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are sweet ol pieces, an havin em be yer Granny's is icin on th cake!

I got my Gran's #8 Piqua Favourite, only heaven knows how many scores of thousands of meals have been prepared in it!

No matter what you're making in a Lodge. Just add water.

Name:	20190406_184259.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	661865

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Would that be nice!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        What? are you waiting for Arthur to come along and pull the lid off for you?
        What's in the "oven".

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! He who is able to lift the lid rules all of the Shenandoah Valley!

Here's what's under the lid.

Attached Files

Comment

I just got this brand new set for $60 at a garage sale. I'm waiting until I finish refurbishing my bigger smoker to season them on it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Great score!

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Say what!!! sweeeeet!

While I'm admiring everyone's CastEyeCandy, I'll ask you all: If I hang my pieces out on my porch with their cooker friends, will they rust from the Florida humidity?

Comment

Originally posted by JPGators17 View Post
          While I'm admiring everyone's CastEyeCandy, I'll ask you all: If I hang my pieces out on my porch with their cooker friends, will they rust from the Florida humidity?
          More than likely. However, if you use them daily and keep them well oiled, you will probably be fine. If you have condensing moisture on the iron, and you don't use it much, it will flash rust.

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I figured. I doubt I would have them in rotation enough to prevent it, so as pretty as the scene would be, it's not worth the risk. Thanks Spin!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            NP! JPGators17

Recently added the Lodge 3qt Dutch oven. I’ve started baking bread and this is my workhorse for that. Thinking of buying another.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here