Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Cast Iron Pieces !!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's mine...This does not include the dutch ovens I have...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	418606

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I second that Spinaker!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking CI there clb239 !

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice Collection of CI, there!
      Lookin' forward to additional pics, like Spinaker done said...

Newly assembled baker's rack, so some of my CI can live out in th' open...
    Some hang quite nicely, thanks to Spinaker
    Thanks, Brother!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4240.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	421491Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4237.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	421492Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4238.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	421493Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4241.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	421494Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4242.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	421495Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4243.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	421496Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4244.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	421497Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4246.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	421498Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4247.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	421499Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4248.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	421500Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4249.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	421501
    Ain't done yet, but this will get me started...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 10, 2017, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work Bones! They look great!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice collection @Mr. Brones

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Wowser! That’s an incredible display. Well done!

Mr. Bones

Whoa brother! That collection is right up there with Spinaker 's! I wanna to do that too. I'll have to buy a lot more CI to fill it though!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Do I see that Crisbee's Larbee puck shine?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't procured/tried any Crisbee's Larbee pucks, yet.
      Them are all seasoned with bacon grease, and/or shortenin'...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 30, 2018, 09:01 PM.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Nice Bones. Real nice.

Comment

Man I have a long way to go with my cast iron. Only have a few pieces. Nice collections guys.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        That is where it all starts, my friend.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cast iron tends to multiply like Tribbles, or Smokey Joe's...

Look what just came in the mail today! My first Stargazer Cast Iron Skillet. I bought this one unseasoned, as I like to put my own layers of seasoning on. I waited about a month to get my skillet. I am going to give it it's first round of Flax oil seasoning, tonight.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1092.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	422211Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4899.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	422212

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
        Sgt Tyree commented
        Editing a comment
        Been looking at the Stargazer for the past couple of days. Like the polished interior both bottom and sides. Anxious to hear your evaluation of it. Grillgrate makes a pan insert for indoor use but they only make it for a 12". I've been hounding them to make one to fit a 10" pan for RV and general travel. Your thoughts on using anodized aluminum inserts against the CI bottom?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        That Stargazer is a Beauty, brother!
        I wish more manufacturers offered unseasoned CI...

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a thing of beauty!

Sgt Tyree
      It is an impressive skillet. About as heavy as a Lodge 10.25". Interior of the pan is polished very nicely. The exterior of the pan is more like a Lodge pan than a, say, nice, smooth Filed Skillet. However, this is not any indication as to how it will cook. I don't mine the rougher exterior. It is a gorgeous piece of cookware, especially after a nice coating of Flax.

The aluminum should not matter at all. I use my cast iron pieces all the time on my GGs. Just give them a wipe, as you always would after cooking and you will be good to go!

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
        Sgt Tyree commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker : The GG rails go inside the pan in this case rather than on top of them. My reason for asking is GG warns against high temps if you use their griddles on top of the rails. They say it will carbonize the seasoning. Was just wondering about their inside the pan model. Stargazer looks amazing btw.

The handles I have appreciated more & more. I have yet to get the ting hot enough not to grip it. And, the other handle is great for my wife to work the whole skillet & I like it for cleaning. I just plop it with a handle on each edge of my sink (double sink) & go to work. I seasoned mine also with flax oil. Frying eggs in it is slippery. I’m going to sell my 10.5 Lodge. This is definetly the work horse.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't sell the Lodge. It is still good!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Put yer old Lodge to work outdoors, in/on yer cookers...
        Both yerself, an' yer Lodge will be happier with that, than parting ways.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        I third that! You can always find ways to use more skillets!

Question, has anyone attempted to polish a new Lodge or other to lose that texture and give it the old school finish? I'm thinking of taking an orbital sander to one and see how is goes.

Comment

Sgt Tyree ,

Oh, apologies, I did not see that they had those. Personally, I would not put that in one of my pans. I supposed it would even out the heat, a bit. Grill Grates usually have sharp edges too, and this can scratch or damage the seasoning, or worse, the pan. I don't use any steel or metal in my cast iron pans. I only use high-temp silicone spatulas or poly-scrapers to cook with. I know a lot of people use metal in their pans, I choose not too. I can't tell you how many vintage skillets I have passed on, because the inside is scuffed, scratched or gouged by metal utensils. I would think the edge of the Grill Grates will have sharp edges, just as the panels do.
        This is not a knock on Grill Grates. I have 4 sets of Grills Grates. I like them. But they have their place, and in my Cast Iron pans is not one of them.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
          Sgt Tyree commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker ; Thanks. Yes come to think of it the sharp edges would be a worry. Plus they would most likely slide in the pan. The pan insert doesn't have holes in it so heat buildup between the pan and the insert would be a worry. Guess i'll just repurpose the money for that purchase towards a Stargazer. That pan just looks wicked awesome.

Jon Solberg

Oh yeah. I am doing one right now for a Xmas gift.

Start at 80-Grit. Then go too 100, 120 and 150. I went to 220 on one pan. Too slick, the seasoning was a bear to get to adhere. But they preform great!

Here is the one I am working on now. As you can tell by the band down the middle, I had this one on the KBQ fire for a while. Eggs slip and slide on this baby!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7305.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	422886

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lotta Elbow Grease invested into that one, brother!
          Beautiful job, as always!
          I wanna do this to my Lodges...

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          You are a trip Spinaker ! I enjoy your work my friend!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks dudes! Mr. Bones Mudkat

I ran across this on Lodge and thought about this thread. They have built a foundry that increases their manufacturing capacity by 75%. Demand must be good. http://www.lodgemfg.com/story/lodges...now-up-running

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have heard the new foundry is very impressive it’s just down the street from the original. really cool 👍

Back in service after a long break. A Chicago Hardware Foundry Co cast iron chrome plate griddle 999. Easy-Off clean up.

Its a family piece but the history is not clear. Its going to be the front line tortilla cooker going forward.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2092.jpg Views:	1 Size:	313.0 KB ID:	448478Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2093.jpg Views:	1 Size:	350.0 KB ID:	448479

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet!!! You are going to love that. Wow! that is in excellent shape! My sister in law uses a #10 Griswold that I gave her, all the time for tortillas and she loves it. Nice pick up.

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at the tread on that piece! It looks perfect for tortillas.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon, that is jus a Suh-Weet griddle, my friend!

My first CI pan. I was talking about cast iron a while ago and my daughter in law says she was given one that she never uses and I can have it...deal! I'm going to give it the Ebath treatment and season it up. Can anyone identify who made this pan? Will it work on an induction stove top with that edge all around the outer edge?Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1985.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	464107Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1984.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	464108

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like it will work with induction. Main thing would be that the body is CI.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lookin forward to yer restoration, Barry!
          BSR made lotsa great CI stuff, very underrated!

Originally posted by Barry Friesen View Post
        My first CI pan. I was talking about cast iron a while ago and my daughter in law says she was given one that she never uses and I can have it...deal! I'm going to give it the Ebath treatment and season it up. Can anyone identify who made this pan? Will it work on an induction stove top with that edge all around the outer edge?Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1985.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	464107Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1984.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	464108
        That is a BSR or Birmingham Stove and Range. Cast after 1967-1968. BSR started to put "MADE IN USA" on all of their skillets. These newly designed "Century Skillets" were the first to have the Made in USA mark in the BSR line. In addition, this was also one of the first pans to be cast in BSRs new DISA cast machines. These automated machines were known to produce skillets at a much higher rate. Actually, they made BSR the top producer of cast iron for a short period of time. Cool find!

Check out this thread on doing an E-bath for your Cast iron.

You will be just fine on an induction cook top.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it up, Barry. We would love to see the results.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          oops! reposted, above. Sry!

• Barry Friesen
          Barry Friesen commented
          Editing a comment
          Well the pan hit the bath this weekend and it worked well. I was amazed at the amount of rust/gunk on the surface when I was done. The pan didn't appear to have much rust on it but it looked very different after the bath and a light scrub to remove the last of the seasoning!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here