Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke up early to bake some fresh bread for the office. We made our October goal for patients helped so I thought it would be a good thank you to the team members.
    Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      In Covid times making goal for patients is an accomplishment worthy of thanks. Congratulations!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice! What kind of bread is it?

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 just regular Tartine country loaf

I’ve been doing a decent amount of bread baking recently. Here’s a sourdough loaf. Fermented all day, then all night as it sat in the fridge slowly rising.

I bought a few bags of organic bread flour in anticipation of another shutdown! It was very scarce for a while this year!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is beautiful!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful loaf!

Thanksgiving Afterthought Bread: After SWMBO decided that she wanted to do the entire meal unassisted, I was left to scrounge around in the cupboard to see if there might be something not too "Thanksgivingy" that I could contribute without stepping on any toes. Not surprisingly I settled on the only thing possible with only 24 hrs. notice and just the very few ingredients on hand ... Forkish’s White Bread with Poolish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA561796-9E57-4B71-9F5B-A330390D4440.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	946549

It turned out pretty well and no toes were harmed in the process ...
    Last edited by MBMorgan; November 27, 2020, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pass the butter please

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice. I missed it when you posted it...

Made some "Hokie" bread! Used a stencil that I got for my birthday!

RonB you will appreciate this creation!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job Scott!

Feeling a bit Forkish the other day, so I made the Harvest Wheat with poolish from FWSY.
    Attached Files

Comment

More fun with stenciling!
      Attached Files

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        That doesn't look Very Terrible at all, Scott.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        What are you using for the stencil? Plain flour?

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 white rice flour

Failure then Redemption...

I've had a recipe for Brioche for a while and decided to take a whack at it yesterday. It never came together and remained a sticky mess. I went waaaay past the recommended time for kneading with no luck. So I tried it again today after watching the video again and reading the comments. It still took much longer than the time in the recipe. BUT it was worth it - this is great bread.

It was also difficult to shape because there is so much butter in it that the dough wouldn't stick to itself.

Here's a link to the video and recipe:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210124_160634[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.39 MB ID:	979666

Notice how flaky the roll is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210124_161134[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	979667
      Last edited by RonB; January 24, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 - Yes that's a ton of butter, but it does work. I looked at the linked video again and noticed that when she stopped the mixer, the dough tried to flow down to flat again instead of remaining a ball and that's what mind did.
        I made French toast from the loaf tonight and it was great. My wife said it didn't need anything else, but then she put cinnamon, raspberries, and syrup on it. I'm glad I made it, but not sure I will do it again...

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a brioche recipe in the Joy of Cooking that has never failed me. I can PM it to you.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 - thanks. The recipe is online and I bookmarked it.

Some nice loaves tonight. 80% hydration with great open but still fairly uniform crumb. A good compromise between a dense uniform crumb and an irregular pattern of huge holes.
      Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great to me.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Real nice bread!

Bread using King Arthur White Whole Wheat

Anyone ever use this flour before? I hadn’t seen it until a few weeks ago.

Our unbleached white whole wheat flour is milled from hard white spring wheat for milder tasting baked goods. Buy now at King Arthur Baking Company.

Makes good bread!
      Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 I either wasn’t paying attention, or it finally came to Charlotte!

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Great bread scottranda! Yes, I use that KA White Whole Wheat Flour often.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Yowza! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Black garlic sourdough bread. Used a modified Forkish recipe and method for Field Blend #1. Substituted white for the rye. Used half AP and half bread flour. Autolysed two halves of the recipe separately, one half got 40 g chopped black garlic and two teaspoons activated charcoal (for color). Folded each half 3 times then combined the two with the fourth fold. I am really happy with the result. Very mild black garlic flavor, great crumb and crust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	black garlic whole.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	988115

Name:	black garlic sliced.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	988116

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks amazing! Very creative

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks really fun!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Wowzer! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Gearing up for another bake.

Name:	CCE63514-5BEA-449C-95D6-BDD667CCF240.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	988771

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Healthy looking starter!

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully you show us what you are up to.

Have you tried the tangzhong method of making bread?

If not, and you like making bread, you should. Here's a link to a King Arthur blog on how to do it, and what type of recipe to convert:

You love your grandma’s homemade sandwich bread recipe, but wish it was just a bit more tender and less crumbly. You’ve found a recipe online for cinnamon rolls but are bummed at how quickly they harden up and become dry once they’re out of the oven. Want to make your favorite yeast bread and rolls reliably soft and tender? Tangzhong is the solution.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I have. I made their "perfectly pillowy cinnamon rolls" that uses tang zhong method. Really makes a difference!

1-2-3 sourdough pain de campagne. 70% AP flour, 20% whole wheat, and 10% rye. 68 % hydration dough, with 2% salt.
      Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin' good!

I made some dough for baguettes Sat and baked two mini-baguettes, (not too many ) , today. I forgot to add steam so they were not as crisp as I wanted, but they were still good. And maybe a little to much hydration as they were stickier than they should have been. You can see scores did not form properly either - another sign of a wet dough. The recipe I used came from a Cook's Illustrated magazine I bought in '16. It's a really good recipe with lots of detail. The recipe and a video are supposed to be on their website, but it's a paid site, so I haven't been there. And because it's on a paid site, I don't think I can post it here.

In France, bakers bake baguettes three times a day because their shelf life is only about four hours. So instead of four baguettes, I plan on making eight min-baguettes. We can eat a whole one and not worry about waste, (although waist is another matter...). The secret to airy baguettes is to be very gentle with the dough and handle it as little as possible. Too much handling will make the bread more dense than it should be.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210222_172623[2].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	994037

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210222_173651[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	994038

And the dough bubble from Hell:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210222_144210[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	994039
      Last edited by RonB; February 22, 2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful crumb!

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, you convinced me. Going to dive in on baguettes very soon. Probably starting with the King Arthur Classic Baguettes recipe. Just watched their videos on it. Looks like fun.

This starter is so incredibly strong. I had not fed it since Sunday, just sitting on my counter. This is the wake up feeding. Just fed it again for a morning beginning.

Name:	2FAFF8CC-FD04-4E16-8B47-99FCF595EAB5.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	999766

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here