Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple Monday loaves. Not sure what’s up with the second one. It’s not wrong, but it ain’t right either. Maybe I scored too deep. Got wider than it is long.
    Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good to me

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, damn good says I.

Football, bread, preparing ice fishing house
    Attached Files

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin lots of toast, PBJ sandwiches, grilled cheese, Cubanos (with leftover pulled pork). Me and my wife eat a solid loaf the week it’s baked and we give some away or cut the second loaf into slices and into the freezer for weeks when I don’t bake.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      jhapka are you using a sourdough starter?

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin yes I started it in November 2019

Figured I’d do more than just result photos today. Starter on Friday night. Levain at 7a and 2p Saturday. Levain before and after mixing into the water of the dough. Stand mixer, pre rounds, final shapes in the basket. Shower capped and in the fridge Saturday night at 8:30p. Baked today at 10:30a.
    Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Very well done.

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB thanks, I love the process. Wish I could bake every day instead of once a week

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent. Love this photo progression.

2 Batches of 2 over 2 days... these were cold proofed overnight outside at 26-30F with mixed results. Measured internal temp was 35F when returned to inside. 3 of the 4 were baked direct from cold; the 4th was baked after additional proofing at room temp for 4 hours. The additional room temp proof made for the best loaf. The others were just too cold resulting in some lack of spring and weird uneven pregnant bulges. I think it better to proof in fridge, or maybe in garage where it is cold, but not as outside. I'm still striving for results as Richard Chrz but realize that may never be acheiveable, as he is the master.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221215_081144.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1346371 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221215_081331.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1346372 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_183650.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1346373 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221216_1119371.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1346374

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory that was the final proof... about 10 hours outside.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Still, those are really nice looking boules

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So, I’ve temped quite a bit of dough with cold fermentation, it takes a pretty decent amount of time for the dough to cool down to below 40. Winter here as well, so you may benefit by starting earlier and giving your dough more time on the counter. My current schedule has changed, various of reasons, but Winter is definitely one of them. I used to start around 11 with an autolyze, final mix at noon, counter until evening then throw in fridge to final bulk. Now, I start at 8 am, shape around 6 pm

Snowflake stencil for the cold snap we are about to have!
    Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work!

I baked a lot last week. Between sourdough pizzas & bread, I went through just about 60 lbs flour.

a few of my bakes.

I did my standard loaves, garlic Romano loaves with garlic confit oil, cranberry walnuts, chocolate sourdough loaves, & baguettes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ED371ED2-07BA-4974-A514-421391A76E1F.jpg Views:	6 Size:	505.1 KB ID:	1351669
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9A397A2E-7BB1-4578-B117-9B9116A08221.jpg Views:	6 Size:	6.20 MB ID:	1351672
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1DD72519-F28E-429D-B6C1-7AB0B5A3FE9F.jpg Views:	6 Size:	7.79 MB ID:	1351671

Click image for larger version  Name:	4BC05DED-FBF1-49BB-BBA9-5FCB1CDFCC41.jpg Views:	6 Size:	5.04 MB ID:	1351670

Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 27, 2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I want your bread (and skills) so bad.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude...

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Just Beautiful!

I added some flaxseed meal/ground into my standard loaf. Came out well! I really want to do more seeded loaves.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another from a recent bake. I have 9 loaves about to get shaped in the next 20 minutes.

Name:	B169A4B1-BDB4-418B-815D-A1866776D0EE.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	1352322

Comment

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      I got it Richard...

You build a small room right next to the oven and rent it out...

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      The oven spring you get is amazing every time.

First seeded loaf. Flaxseed meal, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and some honey. Delicious!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful bake.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, ditto what I said about Richard's oven spring. That is amazing.

For you guys using a baking steel, what oven temp do you typically use?

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz thank you

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I use whatever the recipe calls for. Another trick is to use a large aluminum disposable roasting pan. Cover the dough with it as soon as you place it on your steel, (or stone). This allows shapes other than round or multiple smaller doughs.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB

Today's bake. Did things a little different. 550g flour - 300g KA AP, 200g Cairnspring Expresso bread flour, 50g of Turkey Red whole wheat. 80% hydration (all water aside from 50g milk), 90 minute autolyse, followed by a 4 hour bulk at 80F and then into the fridge overnight.

I then removed it from the fridge, preshaped and shaped and let it proof for about an hour at 80F, then into a clay baker with the oven at 470F.

20 minutes covered to let the bread steam, then I removed the baker lid and let it bake for another 30 minutes. Forgot to brush off some of the rice flour from the banneton liner, hence the snowy look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1140 (1).jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1353460
    Last edited by rickgregory; December 30, 2022, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn good shaping for an 80% dough

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin - it got good height. I'll do a side/crumb shot after it cools.

Garlic Romano loaves. 2 as baguettes, and my favorite, the Fougasse. I have not cut the baguettes yet.

Name:	4ED287E7-12B2-4FAF-B734-C66BB5E92D8E.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	1355161

Name:	B7B0241F-1125-47A8-B7F6-CB41A326E387.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	1355162

Name:	88837657-6039-494B-952D-041DCD6FBB54.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	1355160

Comment

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Once again into the breach...

Wonderful outcome...

Once again an awesome job.

Comment

Inspection on the baguettes. Although I am happy taste and texture, I have so much room for improvement on this bake. One of these days I am going to understand the key to consistency in this bake.

edited to add, for me, my hunt is in the scoring, but my shaping and proofing to the sizes I’ve worked with have been way too everywhere on the dart board. I’ve learned some cheats, but I know they are hacks, not the actual knowledge,

Click image for larger version  Name:	502A7F70-8371-4CC4-B7A8-2D53179FD2F8.jpg Views:	19 Size:	920.8 KB ID:	1355581
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 3, 2023, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Richard Chrz did you turn me onto Open Crumb? If not, I highly recommend it. It does a lot of explaining. And while reading this (I’m 2/3rds through), I mentally kept comparing the information to your bakes.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory yes, 2nd edition.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn - very good book. Not for beginners but lots of info. I was just re-reading some of it the other day as the loaf I made was OK but not quite as even and open as I'd like.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have it, but not sure if I had or someone else had, the small bits I read, I’m certain it is a good book and look forward to reading it all. It was likely his book that helped me solidify my wants for going with the lessons learned, as I felt aligned with what he was saying. So I’m still approaching all of my main bread experiments blindly though, so no books or links for me to cheat myself out of the lesson, 😂 So it is the slow process for me still. Lol very slow…

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here