Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caribbean Pork Roast - pork roast with pineapple, sweet potato, red onion, and flavored with pineapple juice, cinnamon, and cumin. Yummy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210721_194446.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1064394

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds incredible, looks it as well!

Thanks Richard. Again annoying. Is it me? Someone's help me out here.

Name:	20210721_185157.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1064399Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_190635.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1064400Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_190713.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1064401

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Can see them now, looks fantastic!
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 21, 2021, 07:48 PM.

And, if you would rather just have sugar for dinner, I present to you: Cookie Dip. Perfect for the next time you have little (or big) kids around who need a dip for apple slices, pretzels, or graham crackers.

Name:	IMG_20210716_044635.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1064403

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you certain that's not tuna fish with M&Ms?

• skipsdaughter
      skipsdaughter commented
      Editing a comment
      I was mixing it together at 3:30 in the morning, so it could be...

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      hehe...I had the same initial reaction: what are those odd colored things in the tuna fish salad?

I give you fish tacos, Michael-style: tilapia filets seasoned with cumin, cayenne, and salt go on the grill until they hit 145 F. Then they are chopped up and placed in steaming-hot doubled-up corn tortillas, then layered with red onion, radish slices, cilantro, and diced habanero, then topped off with a garlic-lime crema and drizzled with fresh lime juice. Yum.

Name:	IMG-4897.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1064407

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you sure you are not Michael_in_Baja? I may be stretching creative license here…. Baja fish tacos are traditionally battered. (I think..)

But dayum! Great looking fish tacos! Now I want tacos.

Wing night last night. Fired up the Vortex with wings seasoned with some avocado oil and KC Royale.

Name:	762A0C19-183C-4D2F-943D-87FF5AF2E437_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1064754

I was going to grab some Thai chili sauce from work, but I forgot, so I made my own.

Name:	E187F2C4-A503-4581-9DBC-4F0536EDA8E7_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1064755

Came out pretty dang good for my first time making that sauce.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Love seeing that grill action shot with all those wings, nice!!!

My wife took over burger duty tinight...

Name:	20210721_153840.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	1064808Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_153804.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	1064807

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking plate!

I *wish* I could get my wife interested in the grill(s), and have tried to tell her that the gas grill and griddle are both just like the stove - turn a knob and its on. After 31 years of marriage she has yet to do any outdoor cooking. Just as well, as she might take it over from me if she got into it!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife's the same, she'll go hungry rather than cook on our gasser.

• Slieb845
      Slieb845 commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris smokin fool She is a great cook. and now that she knows the grill can be used in many ways like an oven or grill she has taken interest. I am officially worried about a future takeover...

More experimenting with Indian Cuisine: Madras made with the last of my Tejas Chocolate Craftery & BBQ leftovers. Turned out great!

Name:	madras.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	1064887

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey....I think we have the same cutlery.
      I've tried to do Indian cuisine, sends my stomach doing backflips.
      don't know why I can't handle it.

Sam inspired me to actually use the Instant Pot for something AND to splatter hot oil all over the new gasser. Shredded beef flautas or rolled tacos. Taquitos, unbeknownst to Sam, use corn tortillas…or at least that’s my understanding.

Followed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QerxkwRlqhQ
    Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris These might have been hard in DO trying to get them in seam held closed with tongs. Though the pic does not show the skillet is too big and the burner grate is turned sideways to raise it and it’s still using shelf to balance. I’ll need to find something that fits better if I fry more. Kinda bummed as that’s my favorite skillet.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy That's a bummer that the cooking grid for sitting pots on is below the level of the side table. I guess if its all flush when closed, it would have to be, but still seems to be a design flaw if a standard sized skillet is too big.

Another option is to just put the skillet inside the grill, on the cooking grate, the way Meathead describes in his frying on a gas grill article. Then all the spatters don't matter, as they are inside the grill, and your skillet will for sure fit.
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 23, 2021, 12:43 PM.

• grillinglousiana
      grillinglousiana commented
      Editing a comment
      yes i made them also..i did use eye of round in the pressure cooker first..fryed them in cl on one of my hibachi s...sam can come up with some real neat meals..and mostly simple to make

The other night I wanted fajitas, but did not want to go to the trouble of making my regular recipe. We like it a lot, but it's more work than I wanted. So I went online and looked at a bunch of recipes and found one for oven roasted fajitas. Fairly simple too - make a rub and rub the chicken. Slice up some various peppers and onions and put them in a rimmed baking sheet. Then place the chicken on top of the the veggies and roast in the oven. I wanted to use my Kettle, so I used a disposable pan and added a little chicken broth to the veggies so they wouldn't burn. They turned out good, but not the best although my wife really liked them.

Tomatoes are starting to come in nicely, so I made some pico de gallo to go with the fajitas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210721_184021[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	1064953

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210721_185025[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	1064954
    Last edited by RonB; July 22, 2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Stupid simple. Italian hot sausage. Grilled pepper and onion done on Kettle. Amped up with a sprinkle or 2 of FlatIron UC Biber on pepper and onion. Of course oil, salt and pepper.

Name:	20210722_200057.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1064958

Comment

Tossed a coupla pork butts on the Keg this morning, found them last week for a great price.
        Seasoned with my dry rub and a few shakes of Hogwaller.
        Smoking on Jealous Devil lump and pecan.
        See how the Keg behaves today, hope to keep in the 280-300 range.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by smokin fool; July 23, 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Well, last night was a "brew day" for me and my son-in-law, starting around 4:30pm, and about 5pm SWMBO asked if I was going to feed her dinner or just brew. She is laid up still healing from a broken leg and somewhat dependent on me to cook or fetch food! . I whipped out a bowl of chicken legs that had been coated in Lawry's Chicken and Poultry Rub since lunch, and headed out to the grill. Weber Genesis II got some loving due to expediency while we waited on a 60 minute mash step in our brew day.

I brushed them in a mix of Sweet Baby Ray's and Tabasco brand Sriracha, which took them over the top. Served with a garden salad, this was a quick and easy dinner for the wife, me, and the son-in-law aka brewing assistant aka guy who picks up heavy stuff when paid with beer. Also probably today's lunch.

FYI we like some char on our BBQ chicken, so that is somewhat intentional... Just dropped the chicken on to preheated Grillgrates on high, then turned the heat to medium for the next 30 minutes or so, turning the legs 4 times during the cook.

FYI the brew day ended around 9:30pm, at which point about 10 gallons of Belgian Dark Strong was in two fermenters in a temperature controlled fridge, with yeast pitched and airlocks in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5735.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	1065175Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5737.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	1065174
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 23, 2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Those legs look amazing. I see you strategically placed them over each burner. Char on BBQ chicken is the best, IMO. Nice touch to add the sriracha to the SWRs sauce. You're making me hongry.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc I wasn't being strategic at the time, but now that you point it out, I'll take credit for being so thoughtful in my cooking! . With that full set of Grillgrates I don't think it would have mattered much if I hadn't. I thought of mixing sriracha into BBQ sauce recently when I was wishing I had spicy BBQ sauce in the pantry and only had the regular type. The sriracha is thick just like the BBQ sauce, so doesn't make it running like regular hot sauce would.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Way to rock a cook, Jim! Love that chat on the chickenses!

Low country FOIL
          Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice twist to the Low Country Boil!

• SmokeRN
            SmokeRN commented
            Editing a comment
            Watch the foil packs, once it starts to puff up, you flip it. The smell of the aromatics are also a good indicator. Puffed up for five minutes after the flip and it should be ready.

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! Something more for me to try.

Looks delicious.

Comment

Did sous vide, pork belly burnt ends last weekend (my first attempt). Came out good. Cooked a little unevenly in the sous vide, I think the container might have been too small. Used the KC sauce off the free site, and it was fantastic. No pics of the actual cook, just the results. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210720_122535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	1065276
            Last edited by Murdy; July 23, 2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here