Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gochujang grilled shrimp served on a bed of tasso and Hatch chili cheese grits. The cheeses used are: Cougar Gold Smokey Cheddar from Washington State University, fresh grated Parmesan, and a couple of slices of sharp white cheddar. White grits from Nora Mill Granary in Georgia.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210307_194417.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.08 MB ID:	1000813
    Last edited by 58limited; March 7, 2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like that turned out very nice!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd call that a true classic Texas, southern dish but the ingredients were sourced nation wide so Ill just call it a USA special !!!

Santa Maria Tri Tip served with Santa Maria Pinquito Beans from Rancho Gordo. Tri Tip was cooked up on the Kettle and the beans in the DO on the cook top. This was my first go with both Pinquito Beans as well as Rancho Gordo. Love the beans and the tri tip was perfect!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9782DCD2-128E-4670-9CCA-727D74F77960.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1000817

Name:	2A03CE33-A484-4028-80FD-6746DA71E7EF.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1000818

Name:	D18E6158-4198-4F15-B91A-37003D819D06.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1000816

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Those beans really...look...good! Recipe please?

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John - thank you! I’ll post up a recipe for them soon.

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! I think pinquito beans are one of my new favorite type of beans.

It was an incredibly busy weekend and I didn't have any time to cook anything tonight. Nevertheless we got really hungry, so I whipped up some cheese grits with bacon. 15 minutes. Maybe it was because we were very hungry, but we both really enjoyed these bowls
    Attached Files

Comment

Well it’s been awhile since I’ve posted in here. It’s not from a lack of cooking things worth while but I either just want to eat or (usually) my photography skills are just. not. there. I mean you gals and guys are so impressive in all you do, but then being able to take a picture that does it any justice 🤯. So I’m working on it.
      Kids requested wings for dinner so off to the grocery store I went to pick some up because it’s not every day they can agree on what to have. While I’m there I see some beef back ribs which aren’t my most ideal find but it reminds me I just got some HBBR that I need to try so those went in the basket too.

Here you see the ribs giving my kettle some love because since the WSCG came around I generally use that for smoking but I wanted to use that for wings later. Felt really good firing up ol’ reliable for smoking again and I know the kettle felt good getting called to action. It’s pecan incase you’re wondering.

Name:	C76B9C7C-DF26-4A99-A80F-241627BDBEB4.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	1000859

Fast forward

Name:	B7C85A49-7DAE-45F4-ADC8-71ECDE31ABC8.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1000860

Name:	A8A7F5CB-18DE-4DC3-94DC-BEDE2E5A35BC.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1000862
      Side note, I always enjoys the moment of opening up the lid for the first time, many hours later, and seeing how randomly these ribs tighten up and expose the bones. Never nice and uniform like pork but always pretty.
      Side-side note, I was initially intrigued/concerned about the dominating cumin flavor I tasted in the HBBR right out of the bottle but it took a back seat over the course of the cook and the end result was great. It was only a first go but I think it will join the permanent ranks of things I keep on hand.

And let’s not forget the wings which were, as always, adored by all.

Name:	9FC9F028-5282-408C-B28C-7B7D58679678.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1000861

Cheers

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking wings. Need to make me some Vortex wings real soon.

Not the best picture, but it was my first cook with the SnS. And not only that, I made the Alabama white BBQ sauce. I used the recipe from peace love and BBQ. I even bought Dukes Mayo online. I’m not in love, it was very thin. But, maybe I need to use another recipe. I will keep trying. Paired with grilled zucchini and roasty potatoes.

Name:	6454FBF8-101A-4F76-90A5-95390DC7D819.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1000875

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the white sauce from this site/book. I don’t recall it being thin, but it’s definitely not think like Duke’s. But that chicken skin looks great!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly it wasn’t the dukes recipe. It was actually Big Bob Gibsons recipe as shown in Peace, Love, BBQ by Mike Mills. It was 1-to-1 mayo:acv.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I meant the thickness of Duke’s Mayo

Pork belly Bánh mì and Korean BBQ chips.

Name:	OCPTdQ366OuVjRpBFtz5wKFNSZQIZR8yI4UALy4bTdlAyRXAkY91f8O4L6Xskafo7k7dZFaHAY3mhXJcSTdKjyC6q4V4Ecx2366SM8HG7LS-zZqajkOpman3JWs3blits4_0y5YiJ84GuUdg_oXYBoSuk9t9e3ACdy2fIUc2_9am-HhnCqD-Doeom_y0Q1PC_2foiZ8r31M7jmotet18zjYykH58_7rEWvWTHfArMZxUUNj6ggpssOOSMXHGZuC
Views:	293
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1001079

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that's just awesome. Love me some Viet sammies !!!

SheilaAnn great minds must think alike. I also made Alabama White Sauce Chicken yesterday. I do it a little different then it’s supposed to be done but we like it. I actually marinade my chicken in the sauce and also dip it in the sauce right before I serve it. That’s why I make two separate batches of the Alabama White Sauce. I also don’t "Smoke" my chicken. I cook it over a single layer of coals on my Weber 22” flipping frequently so as not to burn the chicken.

Per batch of my sauce I start with one cup of Mayo and 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar. I’ll get a touch more vinegar from the horseradish and mustard I add but not too much more.

Name:	06BB5E59-1E41-4EA7-B2D2-1062740F8367.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1001096

Name:	591574E5-0561-4F53-8F0C-39338FAF823B.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1001094

Name:	F26138DF-2794-47AB-ACAF-63DE0E2D5515.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1001099

Name:	75D0B621-C3E5-49B0-B9CA-2932D0AC4BA8.jpeg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1001098

Name:	38499CBE-EDFC-44A2-B8C1-A1357120708F.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	1001097

Name:	69F15D1F-D6E7-457B-9809-19B0911D785D.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1001095

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delicious.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

Maple Bacon using Meathead's recipe. Super tasty (the ends I sampled), and really excited to fry some up tonight!
      Attached Files

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ill take it just like that!

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good one. I'm finishing up my last batch in the next few days.

My friends, I went from having no idea how to cook shrimp four days ago to absolutely nailing it.

I give you blackened shrimp over brown rice and carrots, with a garlic-butter sauce!

So, sosososo...so good.

I did it in a cast iron pan. (Eventually I will grill these things, but meetings kept me confined to a very quick cook.) I had seasoned the shrimp with pimenton (smoked paprika, Steven Raichlen trick for fast-cooking foods that can't absorb smoke), salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and cayenne.

Two minutes per side in a 450 degree skillet and the shrimp were perfect, absolutely perfect. I brushed on some garlic-butter sauce (two minced garlic cloves swimming in 3 tbl of salted butter).

Name:	IMG-4591.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1001149

I mean, just look at this lovely blackened shrimp!

Name:	IMG-4592.JPG
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1001148

It has been awhile since I've cooked something myself that is on par with or exceeds a restaurant. Wow.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with everyone. I need to try this.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya done good.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Well you sure took to that like a duck to water. Well done!

Grabbed a whole chicken a few days ago and needed to break it down and freeze/cook things. Did a nice seared chicken breast with garlicky pasta but wanted to try something different with the thighs and drumsticks. So... 10 hour chicken confit:

Name:	IMG_0609.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1001156

Salted the night before and left to cure in the fridge, then washed of the cure and into a 205 degree oven for 10 hours in olive oil laced with peppercorns (white and black) and a few garlic cloves. I plucked those out and put the in the fridge. Oil was strained and is in a jar waiting to use to season some potatoes.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        those are going to be delicious.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Done duck confit but never chicken. Done right that's a great way to cook foul.

Reverse seared some filets on the MAK using cast iron. Whipped up a little garlic butter for the first time ever and will definitely be doing that again.
      Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great, you should try bleu cheese butter! I always have a "log" in the freezer for slicing off what we need. 😋

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn I’ve never gotten into the stinky cheeses, I need to try it some day. I even ask for ranch with my buffalo wings.
        Last edited by glitchy; March 9, 2021, 10:28 PM.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        GRRRREEEEEAAAAATTTTTT!

Chicken quarters on the Santa Maria grill attachment for the Weber Kettle. Marinated the chicken in Italian dressing and basted with a combo of dressing and Woodys bbq concentrate throughout the cook. They turned out delicious. So much fun cooking over oak wood!
      Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Great cook! And I didn’t need to see the Santa Maria grill attachment this morning! MCS MCS MCS!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks exactly like my last cook, did chicken the same way !!

• kjbarth
        kjbarth commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome! Need to get me one of those.

Last time we put in an order with our local regional farmer's market (where you pick out the products online and then pick them up on a specific day of the week) I took a chance on some pork chops from an all-natural farm

They were really small, wife & I were laughing at how small and "cute" they were but the meat looked good so I was eager to fix them. I did them in a cast iron, with baked potato on the side

Small as they may have been they were really delicious there was nothing left on either of those plates except for the bone. For dessert we had some dragon fruit with hot sauce (hot sauce not shown)
      Attached Files

Comment

• BradNorthGA
        BradNorthGA commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I don't know how common it is but it's pretty good. Put a few drops of hot sauce on a dragon fruit slice, spread it around, then eat it
        Last edited by BradNorthGA; March 9, 2021, 07:46 AM.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Seen dragon fruit in the store on a pretty regular basis. Never tried it but maybe I'll give it a go. Can't be any worse that Durion

• BradNorthGA
        BradNorthGA commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman dragon fruit has a great texture but the taste is somewhat bland (hence the hot sauce)

Teriyaki burgers with pineapple on them. Done on the blackstone.
      Attached Files

Comment

Matar paneer and roasted cauliflower.

Name:	Resizer_16152698427040.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	1001422

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous plate. Indian food is not one of my favorites but your plates always look sooo tempting !!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman I can't get enough matar paneer. I keep branching to other dishes but so far matar paneer is still my favorite Indian dish.
          Last edited by Attjack; March 9, 2021, 01:36 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here