Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt of home made smashburgers, will definitely try again and next time not forget the salt :-)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-05 17.40.48.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	999598

Name:	2021-03-05 17.52.10.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	999596Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-05 19.18.11.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	999595Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-05 19.26.26.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	999597

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummy !!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Smashin!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Happy Hour last night had me with lump on the mind, so did Fogo grilled shoulder tender steaks and air fried red potatoes. First time I recall ever having these steaks, not sure if I will again. Very tender, but different flavor. Daughter loved them, wife was on my side.
    Attached Files

Comment

How much have I learned on this site? So much that on a cook that was filled with bone-headed mistakes, we ate like champions tonight. So thanks again to all of you who take us to school day in and day out. That is much appreciated.

Back in February, I bought a really cheap Sam's Angus packer:

Name:	2021-03-04 20.15.17-1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	999685

I'm told here that wet aging in the cryopack for 30 days is safe, so I went for just a day or two under 30 from the "Processed On" date. And in breaking it down last night, that's where the mistakes began.

First of all, it was a two band aid breakdown (okay, to be honest that's probably about average for me). But as I was working on the actual separation after removing much fat, I started to get the feeling that one end of the flat was going to turn out far too thin, so I made a deviation in the separation cut to aim for a more uniform thickness across the flat. The poor bit of point that got cut off was incredibly awkward-looking. I dry brined at about 3/4 strength because I planned to use @Henrik's Bonafide Beef Rub and wanted to allow for its salt.

And then I got started this morning before drinking enough coffee. Always a mistake. Almost forgot to use cooking spray to bind the rub (it went on after the first bit of rub on the flat). I like lots of smoke, so in went hickory, mesquite and oak in good supply. So here's the start of the cook, where you can see the embarrassing part of a point.

Name:	2021-03-05 08.47.30-1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	999686

If you have eagle eyes, you've already spotted the next, and biggest, mistake: no heat deflector or drip pan (with or without water). I didn't realize this mistake until a couple hours into the cook and then just decided to roll with it.

I cooked at a 275 pit temp and took the piece of point off at 190 to rest a couple of hours and vacuum seal for later burnt ends.

And of course, with probably only a half hour of good cook time needed to finish the flat, the supply of lump burnt out. I just didn't shake enough into the cooker while coffee-deprived. Oh well, after fiddling a few times, there was no choice but to chuck some more chunk in and finish up.

Despite all that, when the flat hit 203 internal, it probed butter-soft all over. And Hank's rub gave it the kind of bark we all prefer on our meteorites:

Name:	2021-03-05 17.37.05-1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	999687

On slicing, it was clear that the lack of a heat deflector let the bottom side get too hard and so there was some tearing of meat in struggling to cut through that final crust. That probably could have been remedied or at least reduced somewhat by flipping the meat part way through the cook.

Despite all that, the flavor was through the roof, the smoke ring killer and moistness was acceptable.

Name:	2021-03-05 18.27.33.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	999689

Served up with some drunken pintos I had frozen a few weeks back.

Name:	2021-03-05 18.32.46-1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	999688

You folks rock. With all these mistakes, the cook could have been hopeless but the methods you teach provide wide safety margins. And it was super-cheap, too. You probably noticed this was less than $3 a pound. But you've taught me that marbling in more important than grade and this Angus looked as good or better than the prime they had on hand. Add in the aging and Hank's rub and you get to flavor that just can't be beat.

Comment

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I could make mistakes like that 😁, looks awesome mate.

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd love to eat your mistakes Jim White .

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Nicely done recovering and putting a great meal on the plate! Looks great to me

Comfort food. American Chop Suey. Kenji's Recipe.

Sweating the veg

Name:	IMG_0736.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	999693

Ready to Serve

Name:	IMG_0738.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	999694

Comment

Cooked up some St. Louis Ribs on the Monolith. Turned out fantastic. Rubbed them with some Plowboys and glazed them the last 30 minutes with Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple BBQ sauce.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking ribs! Good job.

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        That color is amazing! Good job!!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with JakeT those are some sexy lookin wibs.

Just a simple cheese burger.... Well I lied. Mixed some porchini powder in the ground beef. Seasoned with Red boat fish sauce salt.....

Name:	PXL_20210306_003752595.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	999755

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper that neon special.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest the color is awesome .... and it’s melted just right!

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh mami the umami

Wife & I took a chance on ordering some bone-in ribeyes from the local farmers market as part of an order we put in there. These are farm grown, grass-fed animals with no steroids or antibiotics or corn diets or anything like that so we wanted to check it out. When we first got the steaks in I was struck by how thin they were and how much fat they had on them which is a bit different than what I usually get at the grocery store or butcher but it was also clear they were pretty good quality meat

I went ahead and cooked them, and I fixed some brussel sprouts to go along with them. They were really really tasty, we both really enjoyed supper tonight it was fantastic
      Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        BradNorthGA I am guessing the steaks cooked to your desired temp. I learned that grass fed cooks faster! The hard way.....

• BradNorthGA
        BradNorthGA commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn yeah they cooked incredibly fast! Glad I kept up with the internal temp the whole time
        Last edited by BradNorthGA; March 6, 2021, 01:29 PM.

Hollowed out a pineapple and used the juice to make a custom teriyaki sauce. Marinated some flattened chicken breasts and grilled them over high heat. Grilled pineapple chunks as well as some tiger shrimp. Cooked up some jasmine rice and made a bowl of shrimp, rice, chicken, and a bit of fresh cilantro. Topped it off with grilled lemon asparagus from my zebra lemon tree in the backyard. Great meal
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Gorgeous presentation!

Smoke roasted Ora king salmon over mesquite in the Buckaroo.
      ​​​​​​

Name:	PXL_20210306_022224687.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	999787

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Any photos of the finished product? Looks intriguing.

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper - sadly no. We ate it too quickly. It was fabulous.

From earlier in the week. Prime Tri-Tip from the Alpine Butcher

Reverse Seared WSCG

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	999839

Catching the Flames

Name:	IMG_0727.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	999838

Ready to eat

Name:	IMG_0729.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	999840

With sauteed cabbage and baked potato

Name:	IMG_0732.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	999837

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent pics, great quality, as is the food

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Love some tri-tip .... and that looks outstanding.

Pulled a rack of duroc ribs from the freezer. Seasoned with Oak Ridge smokey chile and lime overnight then smoked with peach wood. Im not sure about this rub. The ribs were amazing but i dont feel like it imparted much chile or lime.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1437.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	1000003Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1438.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	1000004
      Last edited by grantgallagher; March 6, 2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Just a simple grilled burger with sharp white cheddar and oven baked fries.
        Attached Files

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats pretty much my perfect burger

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple, perfect. glitchy How do you do your oven fries?

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr. Pepper We open the bag and put them on a sheet in the oven, LOL. Usually we use the air fryer, but the basket was in the dishwasher and it was running. I don’t usually mess with homemade fries, the diced potatoes a few posts up were homemade though,

Gettin' there!
        I smeared mustard on it, rubbed it down with a brown sugar, Memphis Dust mix, smoked for a couple hours. I just sprayed it with Sunny D, sprinkled some more brown sugar mix, wrapped her up, and back in the smoker til it hits 140°
        Attached Files

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Ham? Looks good!

Broke in my new 8 in cs, bacon grease and prime New York
        Attached Files

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! Is that the 8” that was linked recently on sale on amazon?

• Brewmaster
          Brewmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes

A fiend of mine gave me a meat grinder. First time making Sausages:

Roughly three pounds of Homemade Italian Sausage (top photo) and three pounds of Bratwurst (bottom photo)

Name:	IMG_5550.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1000110Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5553.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1000111

Comment

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Plumpy goodness!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          First time? Nicely done. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Share recipes if you like! I just did a batch of Italian myself, but I didn’t pipe them as I use it loose more often than not.

You do need a sausage pricker, though. Or a long sewing needle. You will want to pierce where those air pockets are so the skins don’t split wide open during cooking.
          Last edited by SheilaAnn; March 6, 2021, 04:55 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here