Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dtax View Post
    Ok - I know this is cheesy but could not resist today at the store. Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Extra cheddah

Comment

A special Valentine's Day breakfast for my dear wife. An omelet stuffed with spinach, topped with creme fraiche, smoked salmon, caviar, and a little fresh basil. Some avocado and steamed asparagus on the side. Chocolate dipped strawberry for something a little sweet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210214_174623635.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	989985

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking for a best friend you prepared to treat in the same way? I am available.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!

• Burkester
        Burkester commented
        Editing a comment
        That really looks like a special Valentines Day breakfast!

Awesome job!

Cast iron indoor grill. Pork chops and you can guess the rest. Green beans sautéed with garlic confit. It was a monster chop. It will pair nicely with eggs tomorrow! 2015 Justin Savant was poured.

Name:	A49D7811-6088-4F6C-832E-C690F8F11D68.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	990011

Comment

Wow. All these great cooks! With the deep cold here, I haven't cooked outdoors in over two weeks. I am such a whimp. 😒

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John Promises...Promises

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Afraid of a little competition? I might just have to post my bologna sandwich pics.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Been lookin' fer a good bolony (sammich) recipe, figured that would be right up yer alley.

Cold weather fare:

SnS Grill's recipe for Smoked Queso:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SnS_queso.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.24 MB ID:	990101

Beer Braised Venison Roast. This is a very hearty dish, great for cold weather. When it was done I broke the meat up instead of leaving it as a whole roast. I used a Pecan Porter from the local brewery. I added a few parsnips, some celery, and a little red wine to the recipe and I used venison stock instead of beef stock. https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/be...venison-roast/

Searing
        Click image for larger version  Name:	braised_venison1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.67 MB ID:	990100
        Start of a 3 hour simmer
        Click image for larger version  Name:	braised_venison2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.37 MB ID:	990102
        Done! Yum!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	braised_venison3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.16 MB ID:	990099

Not shown - I also made a batch of Texas Red Chili using this recipe: https://youtu.be/EyFxUt_O6Is

I used ground venison and brisket and I used venison stock instead of beef stock. Made some great Frito pies with it. Also made some good nachos with the chili and the smoked queso.
        Last edited by 58limited; February 15, 2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Hooray for the Frito pies!

• Burkester
          Burkester commented
          Editing a comment
          That whole meal looks delicious!

I followed @glitchy’s lead and used up the scraps from our New Years fillets from the freezer.
        Wrapped them tight with bacon, dry brined for 5hours, rubbed with Cow Crust.
        Took them to 115 on the Weber kettle and then seared in the iron pan.
        Made an excellent Valentines Day meal.

Thanks @Glitchy!

Name:	55CEA53B-C1A6-4767-B6B7-2AF49E0F08B7.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	990111

Name:	021D587F-3C70-4518-A72F-1898FFFFE0BD.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	990113

Name:	2A074F78-ED6C-40B7-BF04-E9E46BB187CF.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	990114

Name:	C3AB04A6-22FB-412B-B828-3E4DFFCB4F81.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	990115

Name:	97492E1D-16FD-404D-86A6-0473CD974D81.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	990112

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Beautiful.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          How’d you like the cow crust with the cast iron sear? Still looking for the right cast iron steak seasoning. I have some carne crosta to try next, but didn’t dare for our usual grilled steak fave of Montreal Steak in the pan.

• Burkester
          Burkester commented
          Editing a comment
          I liked it. Been making the cow crust paste with water instead of oil. It really lets the flavor sink into the meat and doesn’t burn. (Meathead is right!) I have been adding some coarse sea salt after the sear to get a little salt to hit your tongue with the crust.

Name:	PXL_20210130_161523862.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	990130

Comment

12 lbs of venison becomes 5.2 lbs of jerky. Sweet Chipotle seasoning from Walton's. I added an extra cup of brown sugar because it just wasn't sweet at all when I made it with beef a few months ago. This batch is perfect: spicy with a hint of sweetness. I dried it in my gas oven on the lowest setting and with the door cracked 1 1/2 inches. Dried in two batches.

Name:	venison_jerky1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	990195

Name:	venison_jerky2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	990194

Comment

Beet Cured Salmon. Laid it down Friday. Used this recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/beet-cured-salmon-22902973

Name:	0E4CED8B-E7FC-458F-BEF1-5B9101130532.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	990232

Name:	9427B5D7-7EF0-4034-A46B-30A88F0A1A32.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	990233

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs the beets really don’t lend flavor at all, just that beautiful ring of color. The flavor comes from great salmon, the cure (salt, sugar, lemon zest) and the layer of dill.

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, very nice!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks really cool.

Baby Back Ribs

Had our neighbors over on Saturday to catch up on what's going on. Did a couple racks of BB ribs on my Jambo (JT). Dry brined for 4 hours and then dusted with my rib rub (minus salt) 15 min. before going on JT. Used pecan and cherry splits and my target temp was around 275d. Wrapped in butcher paper for about 1 hour and then cut and served dry with sauce on the side.

Ribs came out tender with a competition bite. A tad dark for me, but good flavor. Was very happy with the outcome.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TripleB; February 15, 2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• theroc
              theroc commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought I smelled something good the other day....

We got a fondue pot as a wedding gift. After almost five years, we finally remembered we had it and used it for the first time for Valentine's Day. We decided on a cheese fondue. When thinking of what we could dip in it, I remember I had some turkey breast that I had smoked a few weeks ago sitting in the freezer. The recipe we used calls itself a classic Swiss fondue. I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly went well with some bread, apples, and turkey. It was simple to make and a great way to do something different with leftover smoked turkey breast.

I stacked a few pieces for the photo, but for the most part these were all eaten individually.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	990275

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	990274

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m a BIG fan of fondue! Great way to share a meal, and cheese fondue is way better than the regular fondue. Traditional cheese fondue calls for bread, it’s a way of eating up stale bread, but I’m open to all suggestions:-)

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              I have had meals with several fondue pots. One with oil for beef. A few with cheese and different sauces. And of course, one for chocolate.

• snowswamp
              snowswamp commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! I believe my spouse and I are one of the few couples who did NOT get a fondue pot as a wedding present. I thought it standard, like a Kitchen-Aid mixer, matching salt/pepper mills, and candle sticks. 😀

My high schooler had made fries in a middle school class and has been asking for a while to make them at home. So we finally did, fish n chips. We used salmon and Kent Rollins beer battered fish recipe (for the fish only, we didn’t batter the fries). We also double fried the... fries and kept everything warm in the oven at 190 F while we worked through it all. I tried hush puppies with the left over batter using a 1/4 cup scoop. They puffed up huge and didn't cook through; a bit doughy. Next time I’ll make them smaller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FA1417AF-4E79-4867-B73D-472E89D04414.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.99 MB ID:	990336

Click image for larger version  Name:	9EBB2BF7-7532-4A10-89AF-B4E9D3609677.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	990337
            Last edited by snowswamp; February 15, 2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Wanted to try something a little different and the store had BOGO on some pork tenderloins. Rubbed in bone sucking sauce rub, then glazed with the SC bbq sauce. Never tried it before, and while it is good... I think particular one is more a sweet honey mustard with a hint of vinegar. It would be great with some chicken nuggets!

Name:	0215211840.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	990397

Name:	0215211559_HDR.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	990394

Name:	0215211754.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	990396

Name:	0215211811.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	990395
              Served simple with some sauce to dip and kraut with a bit of the rub sprinkled on.

Comment

Name:	9262541D-614F-4460-AC00-611B4F1CA52F.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	990405Click image for larger version

Name:	CB1C6A84-E7D4-4795-89A0-F5A080A6359B.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	990404Click image for larger version

Name:	09DA3E1B-38FD-4CED-8A52-8BE428A1A5EC.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	990406Click image for larger version

Name:	02165CCA-1D17-4429-BC60-BBACDE7AE892.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	990403

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bolo with homemade pasta?

• JakeT
                  JakeT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SheilaAnn I guess it didn’t pick up what I wrote for some reason. You got it exactly! I smoked at 325* for an hour then finished it’s reducing on the stovetop. I think the smoke may have stolen a bit of the show to be honest. Not all of it. But a bit. Very tasty regardless!

Kids, wife, and I all off school and work today for Presidents Day. Cold outside. Decided a pot of chili was in order. Used some leftover brisket flat from the packer I smoked on Friday. Mmmmmmmm.

The wife likes beans and tomatoes, so it’s now "chili stew." I’ll be honest...I like it like this too, but I won’t call it chili with all the extra stuff. Still delicious. Click image for larger version

Name:	69D9A87F-1C05-4372-ACAC-18C0A07BF65E.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	990408

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here