Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the best helper ever for steak samie night.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F61FFACF-6C54-4260-B46C-381C19321AE5.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	988236

Comment

When it’s one tick on the positive side of nil, you don’t always feel like cooking out of doors.

Bacon wrapped tenderloin - AKA tenderloin scraps they can’t sell as filet mignon jammed in bacon. Still mighty tasty despite the cooking process.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      If you’re gonna insult me at least larn to spel. It’s "Wimp"

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Eye faled spelin. Byt i waz poplr az hel inn hi scool.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      funny as hell😂😂
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 12, 2021, 09:00 AM.

Today was another #BBQDriveBy. Got started on it yesterday by making a couple of loaves of King Arthur New England Anadama Bread. Also made a batch of Mango Sweet Chili Sauce, although this batch got mostly sweet red peppers and just a tiny bit of jalapeno since one recipient doesn't go very spicy.

Name:	2021-02-10 16.41.35.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	988320

Today started with making a batch of old fashioned bbq beans.

Name:	2021-02-11 15.05.32-1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	988321

The star of the show, though, was pork loin that had been dry brined overnight with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

Name:	2021-02-11 16.51.26.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	988322

Here is everything packed up to go to two recipients, along with some of our sweet KC-style sauce.

Name:	2021-02-11 17.28.51-1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	988323

And it's just a great feeling to get back home and enjoy the bounty.

Name:	2021-02-11 18.56.16 (2).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	988324

Had a scare part way through the cook when my pit probe crapped out on me. I was able to find an old one that still worked, so I didn't have to fly "blind" for very long. Can't believe how dependent I am on watching the cook that closely...

Comment

• Old_Bikes
      Old_Bikes commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks mouthwatering good!

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      I lived in Gloucester MA for a while and Anadama bread was very popular there. Made great french toast.

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Way back in the days that I was actually still working a job and there were kids in the house, we had a bread machine. Anadama was one of the recipes in the book that came with the machine and we made a lot of it. It's probably been 15 years or so since I made any, and this was so nice to enjoy again. And yes, I did have some killer toast with the last two slices.

Cleaning out left over ingredients from the fridge.

I had two chicken thighs, 1/2 can tomato puree, and the garlic rice left from the Tikka Masala cook the other day. I based this loosely on Troutman's Country Chicken Recipe: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...by-step-recipe . I seasoned the thighs with SPGO then sifted some flour onto all sides. I did this on my cutting board so the excess seasoning and flour was easy to scrape off into the dish later.

I browned the chicken in oil, removed it, and then sauteed some shallots in the oil. I added some dried wood ear mushrooms that I reconstituted and coarsely chopped and sauteed another minute. I added 1/2 c sherry and cooked it down then I added the seasoned flour from the cutting board. I cooked it a minute or so and added the tomato puree followed by about 2 c chicken broth and a large clove of garlic - pressed. I added a bay leaf and some fresh rosemary, added the chicken back, and simmered 30 minutes. I thickened it with a little corn starch and served over the leftover garlic rice. Yum! Really hit the spot on this cold rainy evening.

Name:	country_chicken.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	988407

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      This is such a delicious dish. It appears you did it justice my friend !!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really good indeed!

I've been itching to make another pizza on the Big Green Egg using my pizza stone, and I had set yesterday to be the day. I made the dough the day before, had all my stuff ready to go, and was ready to do it when I got home from work yesterday

Well it turned out it was pouring rain, so using the Big Green Egg was out. Rather than ditching the entire plan for pizza I used the pizza stone in the oven instead. Not ideal but it definitely still worked and the pizza was great. As you can see, the first pizza turned out a little lopsided but the second one was more round. Both of them were extremely good and were devoured quickly
    Attached Files

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      PIZZA!

When the world shut down last March my job doubled - I was working 70-80 hour weeks. That continued for the rest of the year, slightly tapering off as we got closer to winter. My pit got zero use during that time.

A couple weeks ago I re-broke-in my offset stickburner with a few racks of baby backs. It was nice to get back out there again and smell the wood burning.

Picked up a Prime packer from Costco (aged 30 days) and that is today’s dinner!

Yesterday I chopped wood and got the pit ready. This morning there was a little rain, so my cook started a little later than planned, but we’ll still be on track for dinner!

While the pit was heating up I trimmed the brisket and hit it with Dalmatian rub (50/50 coarse kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper).

This is easily my first brisket in a year, and I couldn’t be happier!

...I’ll try to remember to take after photos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1BCD8B28-1DB7-425B-B6BC-28400590F58E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	988575Click image for larger version  Name:	D5160B88-9F3F-4C9C-B8F5-5E7817204E4A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	988573Click image for larger version  Name:	E7BEC029-9DBE-4B46-A5B4-3C1EC9000B47.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	988572Click image for larger version  Name:	2887B9B3-D45D-457A-A98E-DCBE1F17305A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.25 MB ID:	988574

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a nice looking brisket.

Spit roast butterflyed pork neck stuffed with proscutio ham, pamesan & spinach. Always know its good when the wife goes for a 2nd helping of pork
    Attached Files

Comment

• Burkester
      Burkester commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t see that cut every day! I bet it’s super tender.

Nice job!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Grand!

• Old_Bikes
      Old_Bikes commented
      Editing a comment
      A cut I have not seen or tried. It looks great!

Got a chicken from the farmer's market to put on the Big Green Egg today. Yesterday rain ruined my grilling, and I ended up making the pizzas indoor in the oven

I wasn't gonna let rain hold me back again today, and it was raining on & off. So I set up a high-tech, state-of-the-art rain deflection system (umbrella popped up against a ladder)... problem solved.

Chicken turned out amazing, had some broccoli on the side. Wife raved about it, big success. Followed one of the recipes on this site:

Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      High tech, state of the art rain deflection system? 😂😂

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great. Your chicken looks so prim and proper, sitting there waiting to be carved.

Kathryn

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      I have an umbrella with a couple of broken ribs I've saved for just this occasion.

A real quicky. Feltman hot dog done in Ninja Foodi. Deli Mustard sauerkraut. On right sized K. A. Classic Baguette along with tator tots.

Name:	20210212_191620.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	988843

Comment

Today was try to use up some leftovers in the fridge. So I tried to do some carnitas-style with the leftover pork tenderloin. This was okay, but I forgot that the reason pork butt crisps nicely it is already cooked north of 200 degrees. While I did brown up the tenderloin slices, I ended up cooking them too much.

No problem that Tapatio, bacon (leftover), and sour cream (leftover) can't fix or at least mask.

Name:	IMG-4517.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	988862

Comment

Lemon Chicken with fennel and tomato.

Name:	Resizer_16131914997380.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	988907

Comment

• kjbarth
          kjbarth commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, that looks delicious!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc we both liked the results. It was an easy recipe and the cold pan technique for the chicken is a keeper.
          Last edited by Attjack; February 13, 2021, 10:57 AM.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          And thanks for reminding me to add it to Paprika I should really be using the app more often to give it a fair assessment.
          Last edited by Attjack; February 13, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Slow-roasted Ora king salmon with stir-fried tatsoi and mushrooms. First tatsoi from the garden this season.

Name:	PXL_20210213_031119669.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	988912

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks super good!
          Perfectly flaking of the Salmon..
          Last edited by Elton's BBQ; February 13, 2021, 04:30 AM.

Name:	20210212_175519-02.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	988942 Bone-in porkloin pre-smoked on beechwood.
        Cooked on the kettle and served with baked potatoes and salad om the side.

Name:	20210212_180651-02.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	988943Click image for larger version

Name:	20210212_181353-02.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	988944Click image for larger version

Name:	20210212_201356-01.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	988945Click image for larger version

Name:	20210212_202632-01.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	988946Click image for larger version

Name:	20210212_203346-03.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	988947

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks holehogg
          Oh btw.. do you have a good recipie for biltong?
          Last edited by Elton's BBQ; February 13, 2021, 05:25 AM. Reason: Fat finger fubar

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm spoilt and buy excellent premixed biltong rubs with salt added. I'll PM you a basic method and a good starter rub that you can add some of your own preferred favourite spices.

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks holehogg

It was a late Friday at work. Did a tri tip rubbed with Malcolm’s AP on the gas grill.

Name:	2701CC19-A955-4C75-A486-60A39325E16C.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	988983

Name:	4AE189C8-F9FB-439F-8625-0251CD229099.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	988984

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Very Nice!

For what ever reason i decided to try something different..i am going to call it WHAT THE HELL..
        in a lodge dutch oven i have bell pepper/tomatoes/jalapeno/ potatoes/ cumin/chill sauce/salt pepper/crushed red peeper i rerun thru a coffee mill..with chicken stock..cranked up green egg to 400 fir about 30 minutes/ trun down to 200..added chared cut up with the bones also of t bone steaks..let it stay on pit around 3 hours...pass it around and see what my neighbor thinks..
        Attached Files

Comment

• Burkester
          Burkester commented
          Editing a comment
          You can’t go wrong with long, slow cooking in a cast iron dutch oven. Start with good ingredients, put the lid on and let the magic happen!

I bet it came out great!

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll take that bone!

• grillinglousiana
          grillinglousiana commented
          Editing a comment
          i cooked it for 4 1/2 hours after i ran temp down to 175 ..reduce almost all the liquid.
          it was very tastey...i did foget to take a photo..i get kinda forgetful at times..plus Emily stoped by and droped off some pre made dough from trader joes..she was asking for me to make some more calzones....i cooke the steak on my PK over B&B charcoal...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here