Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m the Burkester, I’m a PBC chicken addict, is this where the meeting is tonight?

Yep, it’s been 5 straight weeks of chicken on the Pit Barrel!

Tonight it was dry brined with Pit Barrel Pit Rub for 5 hours, cooked over B&B oak lump at 350-375 for an hour an 45 minutes. Also hung a couple skewers of zucchini and red bell pepper the last half hour. Perfect every time. The family loves it. I guess it could be a worse addiction!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4461C468-E948-4192-8E9E-13ECDB24ED79.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	989346Click image for larger version

Name:	2BC7A560-515D-49B9-8CED-A9E6423A2B51.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	989345

Name:	DB0CD82A-44AD-4426-8781-21E7463335B3.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	989348Click image for larger version

Name:	486A57B3-28EA-4AF1-BB81-E6C550A7D705.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	989347
    Attached Files

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep coming back. One day at a time!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I like commitment. Way to go 👊!

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Impressive dissecting.

One of my favorites - Paella with chicken and a seafood medley. I’m at the lake house this weekend, and like the rest of the country the weather turned to crap. Had 25-30 mph winds this afternoon, so had to cook this on the stovetop and oven. Didn’t have the Smokey flavors the charcoal and wood grill provides, but still turned out great!

Name:	001BE33D-0D58-4282-97B5-296C3C873736.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	989365

Name:	7CE47D6E-863E-4608-B179-1D8527B1F0C5.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	989364

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Once in the summer I was making paella and I didn't like the look of the weather, so I turned on the oven. Got everything inside just in time to avoid the thunderstorm. Nothing wrong with giving the indoor equipment some love. That food looks great.

Panhead John around here it's cook in the cold or only cook 6 months of the year.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Love a good paella, yours looks excellent!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Spectacular, Sir!

Dr. Pepper Here's my recipe for salt-cured pork belly. It's pretty simple. Because it has no nitrates/nitrites, it's hot smoked to prevent spoilage or biotoxins. You need ample fridge space and some wire racks - stainless steel or the salt will rust them.
    1. Cut pork bellies to size so they fit on your wire racks and remove any ragged edges
    2. Rub with a thin coat of maple syrup and sprinkle liberally with coarse kosher salt. How much salt? I don't know - a little more than you think. Sometimes I add other seasonings (black pepper, cayenne, etc.), but honestly I really like the maple syrup and salt, plus I'm lazy.
    3. Put in the fridge on wire racks so air can circulate - use drip pans or you'll have a mess.
    4. After 2-4 days, repeat the syrup and salt
    5. After 3-4 repeats, slice off a small chunk. Fry it and taste it to see if you have reached the desired saltiness and texture - should be more like bacon than like a pork chop. If it's not there yet, continue with syrup/salt and dry curing until it's good. Usually 3-4 repeats over 10-14 days is about right.
    6. Smoke at low temperature (200-225 is ideal) until it hits 150-155 F internal temperature. I don't find that the type of wood is critical, but others get very excited over their special blend of apple or hickory or whatever.
    7. Put it back in the fridge to firm up. As tempting as it is, don't dive in while it's still hot.
    8. Vacuum seal (or wrap well if you don't have a sealer) and freeze whatever you won't be using within a week or two. Because of the lack of preservatives, it will mold/spoil if left in a ziploc or sealed container in the fridge. But it keeps well unwrapped in the fridge - it slowly dries out, but is good for a week or more. Or if you continue to let it dry, it can get pretty hard but is stable unrefrigerated - great for camping if you just wrap it in some paper. (I think this is safe - do your own research.)
    9. Because it's precooked, you can eat it as-is -- it's pancetta. You can slice it and cook it like bacon. Dice it in an omelet. Put it on pizza. Sauté with brussels sprouts. Generally go crazy with it.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey I haven’t been there in a couple years, but I do recall an iHop. My old insurance agent is also down there.

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey sorry to report that IHOP shut down several years ago. The other one near me - Tustin marketplace - also shut down. A couple Denny's gone, too. Irvine Company doesn't like traditional, affordable, family-friendly restaurants taking up their valuable space - it's got to be trendy and overpriced.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      The IHOP in downtown HB is still on the corner or Orange (I think orange) and main across from the old post office. Too bad. Although I don’t eat at those places anymore they sure served a greater purpose for us then. My daughter and I would go for not much money. Sad but I think you are right about that.

Green lipped mussels with bacon, gochujang, leeks, and white wine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_025217676.jpg Views:	41 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	989400
    Last edited by theroc; February 14, 2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly Green lipped mussles are from New Zealand, although they may be farmed elsewhere now. The flavor is similar to other mussels. The big difference, and why we love then so much, is that they are much meatier and succulent than other varieties.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      theroc Whew! Glad to hear your explanation about green lipped mussels. For a moment, I thought they were what happened if you leave a bucket of mussels in the Altadena heat for a few days. 🤢

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I'd eat that.

Came off the smoker at 3:00 am with 0F ambient temp! Gonna reheat and slice for lunch today.
    Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa yes!!

• USMCCrashCrew89
      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
      Editing a comment
      And now I nap!

Name:	20210213_120303.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	989435
    Sweet potato hash with pulled pork, onion, red pepper, and jalapenos, scrambled eggs on the side and a little fruit. Cold weather lunch yesterday.

Comment

Great job so far on all the wonderful pictures this month, folks! Really amazing! Thank you all for sharing!

Comment

Made some more Chicken Kathi rolls including homemade paratha (the bread)... they were bomb diggity Click image for larger version

Name:	180B666A-561C-474F-8A39-A4567B44C2FD.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	989534

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like! Launch a few of those suckas to your Great Lakes brethren to the west!

She's still baking her way through the Paul Hollywood book she got. Here we have Cheddar and Scallion Biscuits.

Name:	Resizer_16133285011140.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	989616

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would be cranking an egg over that SOB, for sure.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some bacon and an egg with one of their names on it.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Disclaimer: by SOB......I meant Son of a Biscuit. LOL

Greetings from cold and rainy NC. Making Italian meatballs on the meat ferris wheel for subs for dinner. First time using this contraption and it’s total overkill but kinda fun.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          awsop I’ve got a rotisserie as well for my 22” kettle. Can you give me your thoughts on it when you’re done? I bought the shiskabob skewer wheel for mine, but it limits what you can put on the skewers. I’d like to try that Ferris wheel thing a ma jig.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohhhhhhhh, the RIB-O-LATOR is back!!!! I love that thing. IDC what people say about it. I also think "Meat Ferris Wheel" Is a way better name, my friend.
          Adding the Rib-o-lator to the rotisserie on your grill allows you to cook multiple racks of ribs perfectly. There is a rod that connects to your rotisserie motor. Turn on your motor and round and round they go like a food Ferris wheel. That said, it can only handle narrow slabs that can be confined within the shelves.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          It sure looks like fun.

Panhead John The ferris wheel is from bbq guys. I had read some of the stories of the ribolator and trays/food falling out. The bbqguys version is cheaper and they claimed to solve those shortcomings. With the cajun bandit rotisserie thing everything fits perfectly on the weber 22. You just have to make sure the lid vent is not directly over the spit or the tray will hit the hook on the underside of the lid. The only downside is that you have to loosen the thumb screws up when inserting and removing the contraption to get the spit in/out of the motor. But that only is a pain if you preload the trays and then try to put the spit in the grill like I did today. Doh!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          awsop Thanks for your very informative reply! So...to remove the spit when done cooking, you have to loosen the "hot" thumbscrews in order to remove it from the grill and motor? I’m assuming you’re removing the food from each tray first, when done cooking? I have the Weber rotisserie kit and not the Cajun Bandit. Not sure if there’s any difference between the two.

Pretending it’s warm with fish tacos and margaritas
        Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! Love fish tacos and those look good. Perfect companion...the margarita.

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John it’s starting to feel warmer after a coupla those

With todays weather i decided on chili. Figured it was time to try Troutman 's Texas Red https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...an-s-texas-red Click image for larger version

Name:	20210214_123128.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	989790Click image for larger version

Name:	20210214_165602.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	989791 I believe this is my new favorite Chili

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! Do I see beans in there? And you have excellent taste in beer.

• jharner
          jharner commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I am a bean guy with Chili ( and my wife )( sorry Troutman ) and love my Coors light and Coors Banquet but am out of Banquet
          Last edited by jharner; February 14, 2021, 07:47 PM.

Prime NY strip, S&P, sous vide at 133, seared in ghee. Shiitake mushrooms sauteed with onions,garlic, S&P.
        Carrots with a butter, honey, vanilla, and salt sauce.

Name:	20210214_173638.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	989794

Comment

USDA Prime filet. Sous vide 137. Cold shock. Seared with beef love and char crust. 😍
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here