Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troutman's Country Chicken - Step by Step Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troutman's Country Chicken - Step by Step Recipe

Well back into the 1980’s before there was the Internet (yes kids there was life before the Interweb) and the Food Channel, there were cooking shows on Sunday morning like the Great Chef series and other notable chefs like Jacques Pepin, the Galloping Gourmet Graham Kerr and the indomitable Julia Child giving step by step demonstrations. One morning Ms. Child comes on and announces that she is going to cook coq au vin which is a fancy French name for chicken cooked in a pot with wine sauce. As fancy as it sounded it was really a rustic peasant dish that actually used an old wore out rooster instead of a hen, thus the need for a wine marinade for that tough old bird. Well the thought of eating chicken marinated and cooked in red wine was off putting, but the recipe stayed with me. One day while playing around, my wife and I decided to de-construct that classic and come up with the essence of that dish spun our own way. We eliminated marinating, much of the vegetables and aromatics and kept only those basic flavors we like, thus the birth of Troutman’s Country Chicken.

Instead of a rich, red Burgundy wine we changed to a white, crisp Sauvignon Blanc that we felt paired much better with poultry. Also changed for this edition, instead of a whole chicken cut into parts, dredged in flour and browned in a pan prior to starting the stew, we decided to try a partially cooked rotisserie chicken (the remaining cook to be achieved in the stew as not to dry it out). I wanted to see if either smoking or grilling would add to the character of the stew. Either method works well.

So here are the ingredients;

Whole Chicken cut into 10 pieces (browned, smoked or grilled (rotisserie). I also prefer air-chilled)
    2 - tbsp. of AP Fluor (for dredging or rue)
    1 – medium onion diced
    4-5 – cloves of garlic minced
    1 – tbsp. of fresh rosemary (or dried if fresh not available)
    8 -10 – ozs. of cremini or white cap mushrooms, sliced
    1 – 8 oz. can of Muir Glen Organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
    ½ - cup of Sauvignon Blanc wine (make sure it’s one you wouldn’t mind drinking!)
    ½ - cup of low sodium chicken stock
    2 – dried bay leaves broken in two
    Salt and Pepper
    1 – stick of real butter cut into 6 pats
    ½ - cup of a slurry of corn starch or arrowroot for thickening

And either some cooked jasmine rice or medium sized egg noodles to serve as a bed for the dish.

The day before the cook I had some time early that morning to shove a whole, trussed bird onto my gasser’s rotisserie and let it run long enough to get a good golden brown skin and cooked it to about half done (about 115* IT). I pulled it, let it cool a bit then put it into the refrigerator for the next day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cc01.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	477826

Day of the cook I cut the bird into 10 pieces and set them aside as I did my mison plas of onions, garlic, mushrooms and rosemary. Along with my canned tomatoes and liquids, I assembled the simple combination of ingredients next to my Dutch oven.

Name:	cc02.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	477827Click image for larger version

Name:	cc03.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	477828

Start by sweating the onions in about 3-4 counts of olive oil until softened. Add to that your garlic and about half your rosemary. Continue to cook down until onions have turned translucent, about 10 minutes or so.

Name:	cc04.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	477829

If you plan on using the rotisserie chicken (as we did here), add a couple of teaspoons of flour to the pot to form a sort of rue for thickening. If using dredged and browned chicken parts skip this, there is plenty of flour left on the chicken parts from the dredge. If your rue becomes too thick simply deglaze with a little wine and continue cooking.

Name:	cc05.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	477830

Next add your chicken stock and stir. To that add all of your mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste at this layer. Continue cooking until the mushrooms have completely hydrated and have shrunk in size, about 8-10 minutes.

Name:	cc06.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	477831

To this add the remainder of your rosemary, the bay leaves and the ½ cup of white wine. Stir and continue to simmer for 5 minutes or until all the ingredients are well combined.

Name:	cc07.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	477832Click image for larger version

Name:	cc08.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	477833

When the mixture gets right to the boiling point, lower your heat a bit and add in all of the chicken parts. Wiggle them down into the liquid to be sure that they become part of the cooking liquid. If need be you can add some additional chicken stock if you find you need some additional liquid to cover the chicken.

Name:	cc09.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	477834

Add in the can of tomatoes and your final seasoning with salt and pepper. Make sure to push most of the tomato pieces down in-between the chicken parts and into the liquid as much as possible, a few on top are just fine. Bring to a low boil while warming your oven or outdoor grill to 350*.

Name:	cc10.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	477835

Name:	cc11.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	477836

Bake the chicken in the oven for 30 minutes. When done, place the pot back on the burner and remove the chicken parts pushing most of the tomato and mushroom pieces that get stuck back into the pot. You now want to both thicken as well as enrich this remaining sauce.

Name:	cc12.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	477837Click image for larger version

Name:	cc13.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	477838

With the burner on medium high and the sauce beginning to bubble, add a whole stick of butter, 1-2 tbsps. at a time, along with about ½ cup of a slurry of corn starch or arrowroot . Wisk continuously until the sauce begins to thicken. Use more corn starch slurry if necessary to get it to a rich, thick consistency, like thick gravy. Reduce your heat and nestle the chicken parts back in to marry up with their sauce. You now have Country Chicken!!!

Name:	cc14.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	477839

Name:	cc15.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	477840

Plate in a bed of rice or as I have done here in a bed of medium egg noodles I cooked alongside the chicken. I’ve paired it with a nice Pinot Noir, but would also recommend a buttery Chardonnay or even a good Sauvignon Blanc like a 2016 Amici from Napa to match the wine you cooked with !!

Name:	cc16.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	477841

Name:	cc17.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	477842

Hope you enjoy!! We encourage you to try Troutman’s Country Chicken. It’s a simple and elegant way to dress up a chicken and the flavors are amazing !!!

That looks fantastic! I think I would be thoroughly deglazed by the time I finished that!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, will be giving it a try soon.

Comment

wow thats looks great are you kin to Jacques or Child's

Comment

Great recipe @Troutman.
            Will be tested.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the write up Troutman! This is great.

Comment

Looks delicious! I think it risks getting much less attention in the Dutch Oven channel than the Chicken channel though.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman You can repost it there, no need to delete if you think it's a great Dutch oven recipe too.

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm a "today's posts" man so where ever you put it I'll see it!

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    smokenoob. Right on man, you're easy to please! I'm just thinking for the future after it fades from today's posts, needs to be searchable where most will find it

That sounds great.

Comment

The whole plate looks fantastic, but that sauce is to die for.

Comment

Beautiful! Into my recipe file this goes! Will definitely be trying!!

Comment

Looks and sounds fantastic!

Comment

Excellent work Troutman. Wonder about doubling recipe to feed 8. The plates are to die for.

Comment

Sounds wonderful. Great write up and explanations.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here