Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 25, Spring 2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s just another reason why AR is so great. If I hadn’t have joined this place, I realistically would never have owned a wok. Because of members here who have them, and post their cooks, I eventually wanted to try it out. As a lot of you know I bought one a few months back and have used it several times. Well, tonight I think I cooked my best meal on it so far.

I’d always been a little nervous about trying Asian stir frys, mainly because of unfamiliar ingredients and unpronounceable sauces. (Gochujang anyone?) The first thing I did which made it easy for me, is to just pick a meat and the vegetables I like. The hell with using specific vegetables I might not like, such as broccoli…I hate broccoli. Then just go from there. I’ve found myself getting a little more adventurous with each cook.

With great advice from many of you, I asked a while back, for recommendations on staples to keep on hand for Asian stir frys. Because I’m not familiar with what some sauces or pastes go well together, I googled it tonight. I wanted to concoct a sauce from things I’d bought for just this occasion….and I love what I found.

A mixture of 3 simple ingredients, soy sauce, sesame oil and corn starch. Wow, what a difference it made in the flavor of my cook. It turned an otherwise decent meal into a really good one. For anyone that might be on the fence about getting a wok, just do it, you’ll be glad you did! Tonight I did a chicken and vegetable stir fry with rice. Turned out awesome, especially with the addition of a little garlic chili sauce mixed in at the end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B304263D-5669-4B21-B2AC-DE2D5D2BF396.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	1195785

Click image for larger version  Name:	13E61400-F9F4-4AB9-9309-4F5835790D92.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1195786

PRE-COOKED THE CHICKEN STRIPS
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D1440127-B824-4352-B984-A6EFAABAC0C9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	1195787

VEGETABLES WERE BOK CHOY, ONIONS, RED AND GREEN BELL PEPPER, JALAPEÑO, GREEN ONIONS, MUSHROOMS AND GARLIC.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	07157D1F-F0EF-4BBE-81B3-E4A0BFC196D3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1195788

AFTER VEGETABLES WERE WILTED, ASIAN SAUCE WAS
    ADDED
    Click image for larger version  Name:	F603B62A-F305-4D43-B060-AB70A1EB97AA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.72 MB ID:	1195789

Click image for larger version  Name:	29A4DFB0-14B9-44D9-B163-886FE60ECCD5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	1195790
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 26, 2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      willxfmr Thanks for the link. I actually have all of those except for the Shaoxing rice wine. That’s next on my list.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      GochuJohn

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I am reading an loving Kenji's new book "Wok" https://amzn.to/3JKpvAf

Ribs and cheesy potatoes were on the menu tonight

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B45F2E-2602-4465-9DF7-4CDFDB614507.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	1195795

Name:	AB69AC20-D574-41EF-A6BF-5677B8B2E6E6.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	1195796

Name:	ECCC2486-F148-411A-AC51-41C29582A076.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1195797

Name:	52BB5A43-8B32-4C72-9A28-E8970CF07166.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1195794

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love ribs but I love, love cheese potatoes. My daughter and I cannot eat anything but French Fries (potato-wise) without a bit of cheese.

Troutman - this is your fault with all your Italian cooking flaunts. You were making me so darn hungry and jealous. I call this Hodgepodge-eroni. I looked in the pantry and fridge and said to myself "I want to cook like Troutman tonight." I proposed my idea to my wife. She rolled her eyes and took the dogs to the back acre to weed. It was a chore I was supposed to have done today. Of course, when the coals started going, the dogs gravitated to me. Hehehehehe. Anyhow, my wife and I agreed that it was the best I have ever done on the BBQ for an Italian dish. The kids would go for my paella (I know Spanish not Italian), but the wife won't eat fish.

Pasta boiled and then mixed with cream of mushroom soup. Sautéed onions (1/2) , garlic (3 cloves), basil (1 Tbs) and oregano (1 tsp) in butter. Added 1 cup of Wine (Merlot) - reduced and added whole jar of marinara sauce. Reduced again and added 1/2 cup of 1/2 and 1/2. Added noodles and sliced chicken. Sprinkled with 1 cup Asiago and 1/2 cup Parmesan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7092.jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	1195819 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7094.jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1195817 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7095.jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	1195818 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7096.JPG Views:	12 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	1195824 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7099.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.89 MB ID:	1195821 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7101.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1195823 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7102.jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	1195820 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7110.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.18 MB ID:	1195822 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7117.JPG Views:	12 Size:	4.09 MB ID:	1195825
    Last edited by tbob4; March 26, 2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe you should get a phone?

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      All I can say is...Yes to Hodgepodge-eroni!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I love the look of hodgepodge a roni. 👍

Ok, got around to doing the chicago thin crust aka tavern style pizza. I defer to my pit brothers from Chicago for advice/critique. Found a recipe from WTTW (channel 2 if I recall). Halved it and here we go. The dough was so wet. A 12” round ended up looking like the state of Indiana after I got it from the peel to stone. 🤣 you can see the seams/creases from me trying to smooth it out. Epic fail.
    in my haste and distraction, realized too late I should not have used coarse polenta. I flossed twice 🤣

overall, I was pretty happy! I am a fan of Rao’s Pizza Sauce when I don’t make my own. Hack: add ground toasted fennel to the sauce! It was a game changer for us.

Name:	ED7008A8-33A1-435A-B137-B92D24B9C82E.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1195891

Name:	80B9390D-CE65-4CF6-90B3-596443F4DB1C.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1195890

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Draznnl a Steve Goodman song is my ringtone from about mid March until early October.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn Don't tell me, let me guess. Is it my second favorite Steve Goodman Cubs song, "Go Cubs Go'?

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Draznnl yessir

Wild hog pig in a blankets. I cheated and used a can of crescent rolls instead of making biscuit dough.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! willxfmr

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet they would be great made with pie dough too.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB I make my pie crust with bacon grease...I bet it would!

Ribs and beer seemed like a great pairing with watching elite eight games. So, I smoked a couple of racks of loin-back pork ribs. I am currently indulging in them along with Sugar Creek Brewing Company’s (Charlotte, NC) Blood Orange IPA while watching the Houston vs Villanova game. I am a very happy boy right now!

Name:	0EF831AA-D9DD-431D-AE99-DAD119F6D2BE.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1196248

Name:	D0906D31-161E-4091-9D22-A4C58DF62D12.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1196249

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Those ribs look spectacular!

• CLB3
      CLB3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks willxfmr! They were delicious!

Slow cooked some Prime boneless short rib today with Meathead's Red Meat Rub. That stuff is amazing, and so was the meat!
    Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking cook. Thanks for sharing!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Another shot with Meathead in the background. Great job

Smoked meatloaf, loosely followed a combination of SNS’s version and cooking with Ry’s (YouTube) recipes. Used the Smokefire tonight with the latest firmware and performed like a champ. When I was done with the meatloaf I cranked it up to 600 degrees and grilled a burger for my son which is not a huge fan of meatloaf. Turned out great!
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic meatloaf!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Meatloaf for the win! Looks Delicious.

Started doing stir fry, today, I prepped two 1 pound packages of sirloin, 8 hours at 155, should leave them just right for stir fry.

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1196298

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	1196299

Comment

Tried something new. Sous Vide boneless skinless chicken thighs for 3 hours then coated with Stubbs BBQ Sauce and crisped over direct heat lump charcoal. Was very very tasty though the thighs were a touch dry. Sweet potato home fries and steamed broccolini.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3147.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1196316
      Last edited by Old Glory; March 26, 2022, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you think made them dry? SV temp or time on the grill?

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 I think it was temp and time in Sous Vide bath. They were really good. Next time I will try 155 for 3hours. Time on grill was super short just caramelizing sugars in the BBQ Sauce.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Hard to imagine that a 3 hour sous vide would dry out chicken thighs. I'll keep that in mind, though. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Kathryn

Venison meatloaf, garlic parmesean mashed taters, green beans
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Winner

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Restaurant photo

Hot sausage with pepper and onion on a pretzel roll. I baked the rolls today. Not enough room on roll for whole sausage. Each roll 75 grams. 1st time with this recipe from Pioneer Woman. Soft pretzel texture. Wanted roll crispy. In toaster a couple of minutes. Recipe called for 1/3 cup brown sugar. Really a unique taste with the sugar. Have done other recipes. Most sugar was teaspoon. I liked the taste.

Name:	20220326_190104.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1196368 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220326_140312.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1196369 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220326_143018.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1196370

Comment

Cheese burger. I made 45 lbs of venison beef hamburger meat today. I added the lean trim from the two ribeye roasts that I dry aged last month. Turned out awesome!

Name:	burger1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1196385

Name:	burger2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1196384

Comment

In Honour of our Ukrainian Sisters and Brothers. Some Chicken Kyiv tonight.

It is a dish I have worked hard at to make well.

But obviously tonight, it is very bitter sweet. My heart goes to all those who are suffering. May this mayhem end soon!

Name:	IMG_6697.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1196388 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6699.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1196387

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful cook.. and words, I agree 100%.

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice!!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the cous cous !!

I am actually surprised I managed to keep this dish edible. Wow, so many things tried to go sideways.

Let's start with the meat. Back in early January, in a momentary lapse of reason, I had instacart pick up some beef shanks for me. Clearly, my instacarter has no idea what beef shanks were supposed to look like, so I got these three that were thin cut and mostly bone. Annoyed, but not wanting to waste meat, I vacuum-sealed them and put them in the freezer.

Needing room in the freezer, I decided to smoke and braise the things this afternoon. I didn't realize it when I had vacuum sealed them, but there really was a lot of bone. One piece barely had any meat. (I wonder if these were intended just for stock?)

Still I seasoned them up with Meat Church (Matt Pittman)'s Holy Cow Rub (a Texas-style beef rub) and smoked them on my Chimp at 250 F until they hit 150 F internal.

I then whipped up some mushroom gravy thingy: 1/2 cup of butter with equal amounts of flour....shallots.....garlic....Worcestershire.... .and mushrooms. I placed the shanks in a foil pain, covered them in the mushroom gravy, and added enough beef broth to cover. I then covered that with foil. That went into a 275 F oven until they reached 205 F and/or were tender.

While that neared 205 F, I did some in-a-box scalloped potatoes. For whatever reason, tonight my Chimp really struggled to stay at 450 F. (If I had realized the potatoes needed that high of a temp, I probably would have used the oven for that and not the Chimp) so they took far longer than I wanted and didn't brown up well.

The beef did shred a bit and was very tender; however, the total amount of meat I got on this was less than what you'd put in two tacos! After three-four hours of cooking, I want more than two tacos!

I will do this again, but with shanks that look like shanks and a more traditional osso bucco recipe.

And UH lost so bleh on that, too!

Here are the shanks about to be pulled off the Chimp. Look at the one on the right. That is nearly all bone except for this thin ring of meat around it. The middle one is mostly bone with just two small lobes of meat on either side. The one on the far left is more what I was expecting, just this little wedge of bone.

Name:	IMG-5485.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1196403

Totally didn't get any photos of the braising part, but here are the potatoes cooking.

Name:	IMG-5488.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1196400

Plated up before the sauce. I did get a nice smoke ring, so there is at least that. And the meat did at least taste smoked!

Name:	IMG-5490.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1196402

With the mushroom-butter-garlic sauce.

Name:	IMG-5489.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1196401

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, sounds like you got "soup bones" instead. But way to turn the cook around!

• Towering Inferno
            Towering Inferno commented
            Editing a comment
            Food with a great story to go with it makes it the best food.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here