Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 25, Spring 2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke up at 1100. Wife and kids let me sleep in since I haven't gotten more than about 3 maybe four hours of sleep all week. Before I went to bed I had went ahead and started the sponge for sourdough waffles, so waffles for lunch.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope you can get some good Z's soon!

Galbi and banchan-
    It finally happened a few days ago. This was my 'bones for Bonesy cook'. I wanted it to be a learning experience because he always greeted new members with "Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!"

While shopping at Costco, my wife found sliced short ribs. We have never cooked them before and agreed that it was a good choice for this cook.

The first photos is my dinner prep of banchan. Clockwise from left, pickled onions, jalapeño relish, and roasted beets mixed with rice vinegar, sesame oil, and honey.
    The short ribs marinated overnight and went on the weber kettle directly over the flames for 3-4 minutes on each side. I kept turning them until they were fully cooked and tender. This was a fun experience and I learned something new as I taste-tested, all the way to the dinner table. Can't wait to cook this again!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	trozzo_220327_040-Edit.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	1200071

Name:	trozzo_220327_173-Edit.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	1200072

Name:	trozzo_220327_228-Edit.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	1200073

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah! Love this kind of food.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks sooooo good.

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks all !!!

Name:	95A08FD1-CB54-41EE-A974-401CE67C616B.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1200088

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	B47477B6-150D-47E9-B4DE-2A5A845DCA1C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.99 MB ID:	1200099 Click image for larger version  Name:	33F44DD8-8808-4E42-AB32-4C5FB2AFFAF1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.57 MB ID:	1200096 Click image for larger version  Name:	67CC81EA-6457-46C3-8A8F-B2A0BC39ED26.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1200094 Click image for larger version  Name:	FD16EE57-1D0D-4ADD-8F73-0B88835D56B2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.81 MB ID:	1200097 Click image for larger version  Name:	4ACE0F4F-699D-4828-B68C-EA08188E1A1B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.42 MB ID:	1200095

Friend gave us a pork loin from one of his hogs.
      What do you do with 2 feet of loin?
      Ive been hearing a lot of talk about country style ribs so I went to our friend Malcon Reed for a little help. I sliced them about 1.5” and rubbed sets of 6 with different rubs. I let them set overnight covered. I put the first six on the Weber with SnS using Kingsford Professional with cherry for smoke. Cooked indirect at 270* for just over an hour when they had nice color to them. I popped these in a foil pan with 1/2 cup pineapple juice and 3/4 cup bbq sauce, covered and into the oven at 270*. I loaded the Weber with the next 6 wibs and continued like that for all 3 sets. When the wibs in the oven were probe tender, I put them back on the Weber with the same bbq sauce. 5 minutes a side. Yum 🤤
      Last edited by HawkerXP; April 3, 2022, 07:00 AM. Reason: n

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved the Peabody and Sherman cartoons! Oh, and the pork loins look good, too!😜

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I dig that All Day IPA too. Nice work!!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        That was an ooopsie, SheilaAnn
        I used that in a Bronko post so everyone knows how that "smoker" / dust bin came into existence.

Trying something a little different today....

So it is Prom Day today - The Boy is going to be doing pictures with his g/f at 1715, and then off to dinner at a local steakhouse (one which has never impressed me, but we don't have anything to choose from, sadly). So I suggested to The Wife that we invite his g/f's parents to come over after we're all finished shooting prom pictures at the park. She's a senior and my son is a junior.

We've met her parents, but never had more than a couple minutes' conversation standing on their porch when we stopped over there to pick her up one day. So this will be our first kind of get to know each other experience.

I decided to do cheese steaks on the Blackstone so I have a bunch of thinly shaved rump roast (oh crap I I just realized I forgot to go get the right buns! And the butcher shop is closed!!!!), but I thought I would do some ribs as 'appetizers'. Picked up a rack of St. Louis this morning, salted 'em for a couple hours and then split 'em into 2 halves. One half is MMD+ (my own slightly amped up version of MMD) and the other is just plain SPG.

I have never done ribs with just SPG, but I did do it once with pork belly when I did trial of S&P (minus G), Asian chili and MMD+. Surprisingly, the S&P was really, really good, with the simple seasoning really allowing the flavor of the pork to shine. So I thought, why not try this with some ribs?

I'm debating about throwing a thin coat of sauce on them at the and and firing up the flamethrower. The Wife is not a fan of sauce on ribs. I'd really like to try the SPG alone, but also want to do the glaze. And I don't have enough with only a half rack to do both. I mean, there're essentially 6 bones on each half. I think the SPG one has 7, but it's also the thinner side.

What should I do??? Help me Pitmasters! What do I do? I want the SPG to shine AND I want to glaze some sauce AND I want to showcase the beauty of dry-rubbed ribs. I'm trying to make a good impression here, we could end up sharing a grandkid with these folks someday! Ok, not likely, like odds are heavily against it, but I do want to show off a bit. lol

What say you?

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. Of the three options, I would sacrifice glaze. That's also the one thing that could possibly go amiss, the others are going to happen automatically. My two penneth.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I vote for no glaze on the SPG. Just like your prior experience with the pork belly, you will let the flavor of the pork shine. Channel your inner Ernest ! S&P only.

• DTro
        DTro commented
        Editing a comment
        Late to the game hope all turned out. Just want to add there is some magic in simple SPG. I agree with the others.

I'm not a fan of saucing ribs. Enjoy the evening. Oh, they're not vegetarian, right?

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        If the girlfriend's parents are vegan, the prom date is called off. Deal breaker.

For a first meeting of these folks, I would stick with what you KNOW is good. Experiment on family or yourself.

Comment

OK, by vote of The Pit, I'll pass on the glazing for tonite. I can put sauce out in case they want to try some.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          And, you'll take photos, right? Not of the kids, of the meat! You can tell them that you belong to a cult.

Burger Night, Briville Smart Grill rocks on burgers.

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	1200184 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2586.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1200185

Comment

Taking Meathead’s pork and chicken rubs out for a test drive on a beautiful spring day in MA. Looking good so far!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            No sauce? Just the rubs? They look great!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great. What is the verdict?

Went to a pot luck picnic today
          8# boneless thighs and breast marinating in hatch green chiles with water and apple cider vinegar for 3 hours.

Name:	Hatch Chick Salad 1.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1200193

On the Klose grill with Kingsford and oak chunks.

Name:	Hatch Chick Salad 2.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	1200194

Then seared.

Name:	Hatch Chick Salad 3.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1200195

Stuff

Name:	Hatch Chick Salad 4.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	1200196

Ready to go.

Name:	Hatch Chick Salad 5.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1200197

Name:	Hatch Chick Salad 6.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1200198

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum!

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            All in on that!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

Easy steaks tonight, but damn were they good! I used Weber Savory Steak seasoning for the first time on them and loved the flavor. Hickory pellets in the Grill Grate channels for some smoke. I basted the steaks a couple times with Kerry Gold unsalted butter and the Weber seasoning. We were kinda going for a homemade Texas Roadhouse theme as my wife made green beans roughly based on theirs too (it’s a copy cat recipe). Gotta say, for a simple dinner it was VERY satisfying, especially after a bike ride this afternoon. Bike rides are fun and good calorie burners but they make me instantly hungry.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mark-B; April 2, 2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks fantastic!

• tamidw
            tamidw commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you make the rolls like theirs? I’ve made a copycat recipe of them and they’re delicious.

• Mark-B
            Mark-B commented
            Editing a comment
            @tami We have some done the copycat for the rolls, but this night it was frozen. Easy\lazy 😀

I had a 16.5lb whole packer brisket in the freezer and decided to cook it today. Trimmed out to 14ish lbs. covered in yellow mustard, rubbed with John Henry’s East Texas brisket rub and smoked at 250F until it reached an internal temp of 165F. Pulled, wrapped in pink butcher paper, and bumped up the heat on the smoker. Cooked to 205F, rested in a cooler for a couple of hours, then sliced. Despite not having much of a smoke ring it had plenty of smoke flavor and the overall flavor profile was excellent. Very happy with this cook.

Name:	BB64CD63-F6A6-4F8F-9FC6-54923AD2C852.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	1200217

Name:	8D11DB06-3C15-43B2-BD9B-55FF496FE127.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1200218

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks juicy. Forced to choose, I'll pick juicy over smoke ring any day.

• CLB3
            CLB3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks #Dr, Pepper! I agree. And it was very juicy.

Did a whole chicken spatchcocked & then chopped in two on the gas grill, 2 zone, indirect side at 375, and just let the chicken sit there. Scattered 100% hickory pellets in the GrillGrate channels on the hot side in waves to keep smoke rolling while the breasts got up to the high 150sF/70ishC. Came out fantastic! Extremely juicy and tender, our plates were awash in juices after a few minutes. Skin was nicely crisped, and not tough or rubbery. I've been iterating on a poultry rub, stealing ideas from all the best folks, and this was the final test flight, it's a keeper now. Served with salad, steamed zucchini, and some splendid cheesy biscuits whipped up by my lovely bride. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_163217.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	1200246
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_171226.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	1200248
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_172943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	1200245
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_172115.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	1200244
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_175129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1200247
          Last edited by DaveD; April 2, 2022, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Mark-B
            Mark-B commented
            Editing a comment
            GrillGrates rock for gassers! Do the same with mine all the time.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful chicken!

I checked out Flour Water Salt Yeast from the local library. It’s the first cook book I’ve actually read and not skipped to a recipe. Yeah, I did skip the first chapter where the author just talks about themself. 😀 The book is really educational giving the reader key fundamentals to grow on. I’m finding it lives up to the hype and look forward to the next loaf.

Name:	549B4D69-D1A1-4617-8F09-91A757117060.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	1200254

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a fantastic book! Nice loaf, chef!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here