Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 25, Spring 2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally made a Tri-Tip cooked medium rare that I enjoyed. It only took Akaushi beef at Prime Ribeye prices to get a good one.
    Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that you know how simple it is, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      willxfmr LOL, I’ve cooked and carved these many times before the same way and always just been unimpressed. I just don’t understand the popularity of the cut, but the wife suggested it from the market in KC when I went to get the KBQ, so she got it. This one out of 10-12 I’ve tried before was excellent, but I still would have preferred a ribeye or strip. So far, Akaushi has been the best beef I’ve ever had.

Big shout out to DTro Thanks for your post recently with your shish kabobs and showing the skewers for hanging with the OJ Bronco. Ordered mine yesterday and got em today. Did me some shish kabobs tonight using them, damn was it tasty! I was looking for sirloin steak at the nearby HEB and they didn’t have any. I normally do kabobs using sirloin and I was forced to go with a……ribeye! 😱

Damn, using a ribeye brought these kabobs to another level! I’m spoiled now. Anywho, I made them with camperi tomatoes, mushrooms, green bell pepper, ribeye, red onion slices and a few jalapeño rounds. I paired it with yellow rice. I marinaded them with Good Seasons Italian Dressing for a few hours, sprinkled with Lawry’s Garlic Salt and fresh ground pepper.

Just an initial observation here, as this was my first time doing "hanging" shish kabobs….vs. laying them flat over coals. These were probably the best and juiciest kabobs I’ve ever done. In the past when I’ve laid them flat over the coals, all the juices, naturally, go straight down to the coals. They were good, but not as juicy. By hanging them, the juices run from top to bottom, constantly marinating the pieces below them. While the steak doesn’t get quite the char as from being directly over the coals, it was still enough of a sear that I prefer this method over my old ways. I can’t wait to hang a chicken or find other uses for these hanging skewers.

These skewers are a little larger in diameter than most. I used a little larger cut pieces than usual. A few of my smaller mushrooms split while inserting them onto the skewers. Used 2 hickory chunks for the cook and it turned out with great smoke flavor.

I started the cook over already hot coals. It took about 35-45 minutes total and my large pieces of ribeye came out a perfect mostly, medium rare. Left the vents wide open for the most part, although I did shut em to halfway for part of the cook.

BRONCO READY AND SMOKING
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8F51ED40-2311-4C1E-8B52-DEE0074B8535.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	1200277

Click image for larger version  Name:	0AAE12FC-0FA4-45D4-8198-1FA01323A9B3.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1200278

Click image for larger version  Name:	B71CFAA7-9F50-4FF4-BB3E-94D4E52EE985.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1200279

Click image for larger version  Name:	F27A9097-6B65-4836-BEE7-23D8ADE1DA86.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	1200280

Click image for larger version  Name:	5B7A0C96-426C-4145-8B79-E756C3BA401D.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1200281
    Last edited by Panhead John; April 3, 2022, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      You inspired me, by the way. I did shiska bobs tonight. I used lamb. They were not as good looking as yours but they were tasty. Thanks for posting this cook!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks tbob4 Appreciate that! Most of the people I inspire wind up in prison.

Reverse Seared T-Bone Steak with Whiskey Pepper Butter!
    Smoked a T-Bone at 225°on the Grilla Grills Silverbac until the IT reached 115° then seared using the cold-grate technique on the Weber Grills kettle & the SnS Grills SlowNSear! Pulled at 128° then rested for 10 min. SO GOOD!
    Attached Files

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My favorite steak, right there. Well done !!!

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Just gorgeous

This week I realized my PBC was getting a little lonely since I got the pellet grill in December, so I decided to do a nice long pork butt smoke.

The pork was nothing special, just the commodity Smithfield in the cryovac from HEB. I seasoned it with my go-to pork rub, which is Killer Hogs (Malcom Reed)'s The Hot Rub. I did just a little mustard binder, just to help me see what I am doing. (The rub and the meat are nearly the same color!)

I used two chunks each of cherry and hickory. Standard PBC lighting method. I did plug one of the holes as I knew my barrel tends to like to run hot. Kingsford KBB. Fat cap down towards the fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5515.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1200298

(Heh, you can see a wheel of the Weber on the left and the Chimp's wheel on the right.)

Name:	IMG-5516.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1200299

I let this thing run for five hours before touching it. PBC purred long at 250-275 F the entire time (clearly trying to make a case for itself over the pellet grill). At five hours in the butt was starting to stall out on me around 157 F internal. I got ready to wrap it; however, I was surprised to see that the bark wasn't quite where I wanted it to be and that the butt was still extremely moist (thank you, PBC).

If I hadn't gotten a two hour late start on this, I would not have wrapped (or at least wrapped when the bark was where I wanted it) and pushed through the stall. But, as I was running late, I wrapped it to hurry it along.

Here we are just prior to wrapping.

Name:	IMG-5519.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1200300

I hit 200 F and probe tender after another three hours, after which I took it off and let it rest in the foil covered in a towel and in a cooler for one hour.

I then started shredding it by hand. One thing that I did this time that I haven't before is to pay attention to the meat itself. There actually are a few slightly dissimilar muscles in a pork butt: the money muscle on the side, the "tubes" in the middle, and that thin layer that is right up against the fat cap. I think paying attention to this helped me get a better mix of the shredded meat.

Name:	IMG-5521.jpg
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	1200303

Name:	IMG-5522.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1200302

Name:	IMG-5524.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1200304

Standard pulled pork sandwich, with mustard potato salad. BBQ sauce is 50/50 mix of Malcom Reed's The BBQ Sauce and The Vinegar Sauce. (It's really good!)

Name:	IMG-5523.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1200301

This was great. Really tasty. As I knew, the bark wasn't quite where I wanted it. I tend to want more barky pork, especially as it is going to get a little soggy in the foil and when it is all mixed in. Next time I do this, I'm also going to do a little experiment. I'm going to layer on Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub and the Hot Rub. I love the flavor of the Hot Rub, but I always get more of that reddish color with the The BBQ Rub.

This turned out so well that I may actually try one of those more expensive heritage breed pork butts.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious. And, thanks for taking us along for the ride. I appreciate the process.

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook and write-up!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great write-up

Some smash burgers on the kettle. The buns were growing covid treatments so I went with sourdough.

Name:	20220402_201308.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	1200306 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_201342.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	1200307

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great. Made me laugh with the bun comment

Been a wild Few weeks.....

Got down to it and whipped up fresh pasta for lasagna and pappardelle for bolognese....
    I typically mix some porcine powder in my pasta dough

Name:	PXL_20220402_175759405.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	1200339 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220402_191049553~3.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	1200340 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220403_034310857.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1200341

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My word. I'm speechless.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      More winners!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is just so good.

Ribeye from the last click sale. This was a 3-finger cut. MH beef rub. Reverse seared-ish. Bleu cheese compound butter. Roasted veggies.

Name:	62A5D0A4-4F53-4580-A9CC-8280ADE1ADE3.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1200355

Name:	91C1FF9C-BE43-45FA-AABF-CCDC951073D3.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1200356

Name:	465AA8D3-7B16-4343-83B5-8B908D58D328.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1200359

Name:	F686E77D-9F60-4E34-87B8-CD4A78D851F9.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1200357

Name:	B02EDD47-166E-4CC8-A614-28CF134C5AE2.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1200358

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful cook Sheila Ann! I was wondering, did you use any kind of rub? 🥸

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John 🙃

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect

Name:	7765A63E-015A-4620-AB82-886A8B6A58AC.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1200446 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_171756.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1200435 It is not bbq, but lawdy sure is good!
    Dutch Baby made w/ free cream fr Dunkin.
    Last edited by Alan Brice; April 3, 2022, 09:01 AM. Reason: Plated

Comment

Lorne sausage and breakfast loaf
      Attached Files

Comment

Brisket that I put on last night. Been on for 16 hours. Only at 170 - 185. depending where you poke it!
        Attached Files

Comment

Sunday brunch. Now to drop a strip steak in a bath for dinner.

Name:	20220403_111756.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1200475

Comment

First cook on the performer this year.

Name:	oyGE_tvLriA0BbyFwtZREzzyDm5w0vcVbrsP-IaNcPjYRHlZKBMq7RpCgEkN2PiF4lHNkiqIexpF7XjTlNyQzBJSqrpOx7Zv3MyoDVZ_4_Jjh4RIKYwESIhM0UlFFiGvWCo6BtLPcJYWhHS3VNCf8Cx9lyI2RoCtyqxjqh6H2aKOKjYdGO6C2pFMnwbhcjj7eZxjrTZMbX4JA2nIh8GSAsoRYD9HIs48u08PHbXMTkhEWF74iQuK0myvXFIHM5Z
Views:	275
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1201028

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_180033~2.jpg Views:	34 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	1200512

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_185857~2.jpg Views:	34 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	1200511
            Last edited by Attjack; April 4, 2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
              MsTwiggy commented
              Editing a comment
              Springtime 💯

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing cook!

• DTro
              DTro commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, please!

Well these birds were supposed to be the first cook on the KBQ, but the weather just doesn’t want to cooperate when I’m not working, so they got halved and cooked on the ole faithful MAK.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good! Great looking skin. Lotta birds being done lately, I’m doing 1/2 one tonight.

I give you fusion food: leftover smoked pulled pork and broccoli stir-fry! This was incredibly good. The fatty pork does indeed add something here.

My stir-fry sauce is 1/4 cup chicken broth, 1 tbl soy sauce, 1 tbl soy paste, 1 tbl oyster sauce, 1 tbl corn starch, and about of 1/4 cup of rehydrated chiles de arbol, seeds removed. (May cut back on the chiles.....those things be spicy!) Noodles are egg noodles.

Name:	IMG-5527.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1200543

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I still got a batch of smoked ghost chilis if you wanna amp it up, lol. Careful though that stuff is addictive.

pizza tonight here in Sunny South Carolina

Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried to hit like but kept getting an error message.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Anchovies !!!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here