Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 25, Spring 2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different take on pork butt coppa / collar/ neck.

Got the recipe for this from the "2 guys and a cooler" youtube channel where Eric says this is a hidden 99 cent steak more delicious than ribeye.

Starts with a coppa liberated from the upper portion of a pork butt . . .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Coppa.jpg Views:	40 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	1196419

Sliced into steaks about 1½ inches thick and tied into roundish shape . . .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sliced.jpg Views:	39 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	1196420

Sprinkled liberally with a "rub" 4 parts pickling salt, 2 parts ground black pepper and 1 part garlic powder . . .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	rubbed.jpg Views:	40 Size:	152.2 KB ID:	1196421

Vacuum bagged and refrigerated 36 hours . . .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bagged.jpg Views:	39 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	1196422

Sous vide 135º for 12 hours, patted dry, sprayed with EVO and seared on grill grate . . .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	searing.jpg Views:	40 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	1196423

Sliced each into two steaks - very much medium rare . . .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	plated.jpg Views:	40 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	1196424

Turned out very good, ate with simple baked apple and salad.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tabled.jpg Views:	41 Size:	496.3 KB ID:	1196425

Was it as good (or better than) ribeye. Matter of opinion, both are good, but the 99 cents is high, the butt cost $0.99 per pound and each of these is less than a pound. The rest of the butt will be used for sausage, so the coppa is pretty close to $0.99 per pound.

I was a bit worried about the amount of salt, (a lot more than the dry brine 1/4 teaspoon per pound), but it was not too salty.

Here's a link to Eric's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKENBTnIdpM&t

Last edited by johnec00; March 27, 2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork collar/coppa is my jams! Love love love this cut. I’ve done it as steaks and as a roast. Love love love.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks delicious! My favorite piece of the butt as well. None of them has survived the pulling stage in the butts I've made, my lovely bride and I always just devour it on the spot, pretty much...

Giant Soft Tacos - fish. Trader Joe's Wild Alaskan Cod Pieces, battered with recipe linked below (except used Trader Joe's Umami as the seasoning salt), and deep fried in my T-Fal. DANG GOOD!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220324_202542.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1196457 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-26 204631.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1196458

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh huh huh huh... he said "codpiece"

First of 3 batches of wild game meatballs. Some for dinner tomorrow with marinara sauce a pasta, some to freeze for later use.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Uummmm meatballs in a muffin tin? Shut the front door! 🤯

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the close-up! Looks savory delicious.

Reverse-seared strip loin steaks on the new SnS grill. Roasted potatoes and sauteed asparagus.

Name:	PXL_20220327_033910926.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	1196472

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect.

I made Ragù alla Bolognese

Name:	image_171082.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	1196475

Name:	image_171087.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	1196480
    Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman yea, it ended up being a lot. Gotta make it worthwhile to clean the meat grinder, ya know? It was 3lbs each of brisket point, LoL, and pork shoulder and 1lb of pancetta... Gonna have cboss fine tune the flavors today and then package for gifts and the freezer.
      Last edited by gboss; March 27, 2022, 06:17 PM. Reason: called the cured pork thing by the wrong name.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      mmmMMMMmmmm!

Kathryn

Homemade butter chicken curry with a tomatoe base. Used a little too much passata so sauce was a bit runny but good kick of spices and flavour off it
    Attached Files

Comment

Another big smoke day!
      1. Brisket Point (got it for cheap) wrapped in butcher paper to finish seasoned in Bearded Butcher Original.
      2. Tri Tip same process as above. I like the smoke them like a brisket. (Flat)
      3. Pork Belly Burnt Ends seasoned in Bad Bryon Butt Rub. I also glazed in butter and topped with a little no sugar added Sweet Baby Ray's 4. Country Style Ribs in Bad Bryon Butt Rub and smoked until crispy.

Attached Files

Comment

Buttermilk biscuits, wild hog sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits with a side of Dewberry jam from last season.
        Attached Files

Comment

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Being from up north I had to look up what a dewberry was, but that looks so good

Weekend of steaks at the Troutman residence. First up is a magnificent tri-tip from Costco. I don't know where they get these but seem to have an endless supply. They almost look like wagyu they're so marbled. Cooked that bad boy SV at 130*F for 3 hours then seared over B&B lump. Made some air fryer potatoes and green beans almandine to accompany. Next up is picanha gaucho style !! Enjoy !!

Name:	tri-tip 01.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1196661 Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 02.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1196663 Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 03.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1196666 Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 05.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1196665 Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 04.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1196664 Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 06.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1196662

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve never seen tri-tip at our Costco, but I’m checking today. That is a beautiful hunk of beef!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous!

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm renewing my Costco membership right now. I've never seen a Tri-Tip marbled like that. Incredible.

Time to celebrate! I finally got the grill out after the move! Chicken thighs with some chili-lime seasoning and drizzled honey on it when I took it off the grill!

Name:	IMG_20220327_115026.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1196675

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow those look good!

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look amazing. Congrats on being back in the game!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Delicious.

SLC were on sale for $2.49/lb. Oakridge BBQ Dominator rib rub plus a little Meat Church Pecan rub and crushed red pepper. Going 225° on the WSM and will sauce with a concoction of open pit, sweet baby rays, molasses, honey and cayenne.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by awsop; March 28, 2022, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Macaroni and cheese with roasted jalapeños and a breadcrumb topping. Deviated from my normal approach of making a roux-based sauce and went for the 3-ingredient Mac and cheese (evaporated milk, cheese and pasta) as my daughter asked for a creamier/soupier version this time. Pretty tasty and a good change up

Name:	E45BEA10-7B3D-4F39-B59F-9EA0D1AABA3D.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	1196714

Then today, we had some fun with the leftovers. Mac and cheese grilled cheese and a mac and cheese waffle.

Name:	D641830F-F32E-4C0B-8142-0EBF1B941979.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1196715

Name:	62394742-85D0-4808-BD1C-A33489148DF6.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1196716

Name:	FAD8F4E0-28E7-4CC4-8EAD-6B4EAA1BC1C6.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1196717

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooh. How was the waffle?

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            JCBBQ - it was a fun twist. Nice and crispy but still tender in the middle. One thing I learned though. Need to add more cheese pre-waffling as it got lost a bit in the waffle

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff. Maple syrup?

Meatballs

Name:	IMG20220327184322.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1196741

Name:	IMG20220327184509.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1196742

Comment

• jgreen
            jgreen commented
            Editing a comment
            Love meatballs and those look great

Simple Grilled Chicken Tenderloins! Easy prep for weekday lunches! #twbarbecue
          Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday's picanha, with Rancho Gordo Ayocote Negro beans. The beans were a done with sausage, onions, Cumin and sofrito - a nod to Brazilian fejoada.

The picanha with chimichurri was pretty awesome, and you can find more info here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220326_192902.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	1196801 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220326_185404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1196802 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220326_192021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	1196800

Comment

• Caffeine88
              Caffeine88 commented
              Editing a comment
              theroc My wife got them for me, and they were advertised as hot dog / marshmallow sticks.... Uh huh, sure they are. That'd be a heckuva medieval hotdog! They're perfect for monster chunks of meat.

• DTro
              DTro commented
              Editing a comment
              Caffeine88 that is really a beautiful cook. I know it must have been delicious, but I don't even think it would have mattered to me what it tasted like. So good!

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here