Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse seared some bone-in poke chops last night, with some Big Mo’s Pork Rub… good stuff! I also made a pot of pinto’s which turned out as one of my best ever pot of beans. I’ve been using Tasso lately instead of bacon, ham, sausage or hamburger meat in my beans. Tasso really adds another dimension to the beans. If you’re not familiar with Tasso, it’s a fatty cut of meat from the hog’s shoulder. It’s smoked, spiced and cured. It’s most popular in Louisiana where it’s used to add flavor to dishes that can benefit from a more intense flavor. It’s kinda a Southern thang.

The pork chops….regular store bought, nothing fancy…..turned out excellent as well. The reverse sear was able to add a good smoke flavor, without overcooking them. Used mesquite instead of my usual hickory. The brand of Tasso I used is Savoie’s. I’ve found it at some Walmart’s and HEB’s here in Texas. My seasonings for the beans was chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic, oregano, beef and chicken bouillon cubes and Bay leaves.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 16, 2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Let me tell you, his chicken rub is the best I’ve ever had, and his pork rub ain’t far behind. They’re sold online and in the stores, Academy is the only place I know that sells it. He also makes a brisket rub and steak rub, to me, they’re just ok. If you can find his chicken and pork rubs though, you won’t be disappointed.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good brother! Now, if you only had some actual beer to go with those pork chops

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, those chops looks great! Nailed it, PJ.

Chicken kebobs on the Weber. Happy Friday!
    Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the way to do kabobs!

Pastrami. The usual way. This is the point and I have the flat as well and some pastrami ribs.
    Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210716_190557.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1061620 Tonight's my last outdoor cooking for awhile effing rain. Pork Chop dry brined. Memphis Dust. On Gasser. Grilled red potato.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork chops on the grill in some Memphis dust are dang good!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      The west coast could use some of your effing rain. Effing truly.

Years ago, several of my close colleagues and I all taught on the same night. After our classes wrapped up at 8 pm, we'd all drive out to the Ninfa's restaurant (the one that used to be on Kirby Drive, for those in the Houston area). Without fail, we'd always order the same appetizer every time: Queso Flameado.

This is chorizo mixed with Mexican melting cheeses. It is then doused with a bit of Everclear or Tequila and brought table-side where the alcohol is ignited. After the flames dissipate, the server mixes up the dish and portions it out onto some waiting flour tortillas and rolls them up. It is like eating happiness. I once remarked it was the savory equivilent of eating a Krispy Kreme donut.

So I decided to recreate it at home. I got close, but I am not there yet. Most recipes on the internet are roughly the same....chorizo, cheeses, and usually smoked poblanos. (I left out the poblanos as Ninfa's does not use them.) Even after diligent research, I could not find out what cheeses and their ratio Ninfa's actually uses.

(Maddeningly, Ninfa's does have a YouTube video in which they describe cooking the dish -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_G0WQuTGGY but they do not tell you the exact cheeses, but the video suggests they use 100% Monterey Jack. You do learn they do the dish in the oven, though.)

So, here's my first attempt: I browned up six ounces of chorizo and grated one cup of Monterey Jack cheese and three cups of Oaxaca (also known as Asadero) cheese.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-4871.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	1061629

Into a baking dish they went into a 350 F oven for 15 minutes. Bubbly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-4872.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1061630

This is where I realized it wasn't quite right. I think I used twice as much chorizo as I should have and I certainly could have drained the chorizo much, much better. There is way too much orange fat/grease in here. Also, the cheese is significantly stringy, but the dish at Ninfa's is uniformly gooey. I think this means that the cheese in my dish "separated out" if you will, perhaps from too much heat or too long of heat. The cheese also "seized up" and became very hard to work with as it cooled even a little bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-4873.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1061632

Ugh....so much chorizo grease.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-4874.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	1061631

Thankfully the tortillas hide that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-4875.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1061628

I did find a single video on the internet that shows exactly what I was going for, but unfortunately it is on Facebook. If you're comfortable going there, the nineteen-second video is at https://fb.watch/6NXioXbjvb/

It shows the Ninfa's server portioning out the Queso. Note how uniformly gooey and not at all stringy the cheese is and that you almost wouldn't know it had chorizo in it.
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; July 16, 2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep us posted. This post is a fun read. THX.

K.

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd still do it in the oven, the radiant heat is going to be kinder to it than the direct heat from the stove, plus there's no risk of burning it. Just start checking it earlier. If you can find them either queso Chiuhauha or queso quesadilla would work great here. Might have to hit a Mexican market to find good quality, though I'd be surprised if HEB doesn't at least have the Cacique brand, which is decent.
      Last edited by mnavarre; July 18, 2021, 02:47 PM.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      gboss might be on to something with the sodium citrate. That stuff is amazing for making cheese sauces.

I am also lookin' forward to the final recipe.

Comment

I love this place. I asked what to do with Top Round cut as a "London Broil" and in 30 minutes I had a great bunch of answers. More answers than I actually had meat for cooking. I started off with a recommendation from Jim White to try the London Broil recipe Meathead has on the public side.
      I gotta say, this was a great recommendation and a great idea. THis is nothing like the dry, tough London Broil I remember my mom cooking when I was a kid.

To go with it, I made a green salad and my wife made Mac n Cheese using WSU Cougar Gold … which is just possibly the greatest cheese in a can you can ever buy.

Marinated for a couple hours

Name:	3743B3E8-CC25-4012-930F-58938AA2DB49.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1061665
      On the Hasty-Bake, indirect is running at 250F

Name:	6C8A0E12-4A18-4C15-805C-0DDEAECF0516.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1061666
      On to the grill grates, getting a great crust and Maillard reaction

Name:	15F19452-76A9-41C2-AF17-4AF37DC15367.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1061670
      Flames, grill, beef … what’s not to like?

Name:	4B19A73B-6A01-4D8B-9A46-BD00AA7F2E27.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1061664
      Man, that’s looking good. My mom’s London Broil was nothing like this

Name:	DBA0CB4D-5E3C-4760-9AE4-DB888986B6C5.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1061663
      Came out at the top of medium rare, tender and flavorful

Name:	20291494-2316-4B2F-93B0-BD2B4CA35612.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1061669
      All plated, ready to eat!

Name:	4638AEDC-2B39-45E8-8A8B-6C916C5027AA.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1061668
      These hounds of ours

Name:	15C72755-AF97-4A49-8D5A-3C034831E611.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1061667

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks great! Gonna have to do another one here soon.

I do hope those poor mistreated hounds got a scrap or two.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White can’t you just tell how mistreated and abused they are? Poor things.

It was really good, awesome suggestion. Like I said, I was kinda concerned … Mom’s London Broil made Army chow hall food look good.

End results.
      Attached Files

Comment

Jambalaya

Name:	Resizer_16264989249620~2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1061709

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I officially give up on ever getting a photo in Hot from The Pit. Looks delicious, haven’t had good Jambalaya in 30 years.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Love Jambalaya!

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a challenge you should accept glitchy

Dry-brined and reverse-seared two Te Mana lamb racks on the Weber gasser. Served with grilled corn and salad.

Name:	PXL_20210717_032647624.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1061715

Name:	PXL_20210717_033914792.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	1061716

Name:	PXL_20210717_034445097.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1061717

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          theroc I wish you wouldn’t have told me that…. The site looks way cool! (My wallet just went to go hide) 🤣🤣🤑

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn - resistance is futile. Seriously, the quality of their fish and meats is outstanding. We're making some of their Berkshire pork chops tonight.

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          Heaven!

The corn tortillas I used for the street taco experiment were so good that I decided to use them for some egg breakfast tacos, for which I've always used flour.

I think my hesitancy to use corn tortillas over the years has been I never used them right. It looks like one must steam them in some way and, often, double them up. (I put six in an open ziplock back with some damp paper towels on top for 30 seconds in the microwave and they came out perfect.)

I chopped up some onion, poblano, and random-red-chilis from the garden (I think they were Thai Birds Eye or similar). I sautéed those for a moment or two in some olive oil. Then I scrambled two eggs in the mixture. Portioned that among the three waiting tacos and topped with Tapatio hot sauce, pico, and Mexican cheese. Very filling.

The corn tortillas did go well with the egg. I think I still may prefer flour, but not by much. Corn has this.....almost earthy taste that I'm learning to really like.

Name:	IMG-4876.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1061913

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Me gusta mucho los tacos hecho de maíz! Mi preferencia.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          ¡Yo tambien!

Beef pastrami short rib with beer battered fried cheese curds and poutine (smoked French fries, gravy, cheese curds)
        Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh good lord. Calories and cholesterol. But that looks so doggone yummy.

K.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          The cheese curds are definitely a once a year type thing but addictive.

Reverse seared Dry aged ribeye, grilled carrots with cilantro pesto, grilled shrimp and scallops with garlic herb butter
        Attached Files

Comment

• smarks112
          smarks112 commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn they are super easy and very good… Blanch them 4 mins, then give them a good char all around, toss in pesto when done

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice meal! Perfect meat, delectable shrimp and carrots, and as SheilaAnn says, intriguing carrots.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I have so many carrots from csa, that I am looking for new dishes.

We are chillin’ tonight! Royal Red shrimp boiled 2 minutes (they are delicate and only require short heat to be tender) and thrown on ice. Dipped in cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish), sided with spinach/basil/tomato, avo salad, Silver Queen sweet corn, and some awesome craft focaccia bread! Cool night in the Pit!
        Attached Files

Comment

Did this tonight. You like McRib Sammi? You don't have to wait for Ronald.

Didn't have a bun large enough so sub roll it is. Worked out. I'm not a pickle person so Cowboy Candy. I like my onion raw and crunchy. My goto BBQ sauce Stubbs Hickory Bourbon.

I pulled this from Paprika App. It's scaled to 1 Sammi. The link at the bottom of the recipe will take you to the original.

AmazingRibs.com Rib Sandwich Recipe: The Ultimate McRib
          ★★★★
          Smoked
          Prep Time: 20 minutes if you goof off during the process | Servings: Makes. 1 sandwich

Description:

McRib Sandwhich

Ingredients:

1/3 slab leftover cooked baby back ribs
          1/3 large onion, sliced or chopped
          2 sandwiches pickle slices
          1 quality buns

Directions:

1) You have a choice. You can chop the onion and serve it raw on the sandwich, or you can cook it. You can just lightly cook it in some butter in a pan or grill it, or you can slowly caramelize it. Caramelizing it makes the onion into a sweet relish that obviates the need for sauce.
          2) Slice the rib slab into individual bones, and carefully run a sharp knife along the bones to remove the meat trying not to hack off any cartilage. Then chop the meat into 1/2" chunks. Reheat the meat in a pan with a little barbecue sauce, or, my preference, in the microwave, without sauce.
          3) Toast the bun under the broiler to make it crunchy. I think this is an important step.
          4) Assemble the sandwich with a heaping scoop of chopped meat and 1 or 2 tablespoons of sauce on top if you must. Then mount the onions and pickles. Serve with Sweet Potato Steak Fries and slaw.

Source: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ultimate-mcrib

Name:	20210717_192623.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1062097Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_192644.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1062098

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here