Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replay Wife keeps asking for ribs and Tri Tip

Attached Files

Comment

2 inch thick Berkshire pork chops. Dry-brined, then cooked sous vide at 140 F for 2.5 hours. Seared on the CI skillet on the Weber gasser, then basted with the pan sauce of garlic, rosemary, and butter. Served with blistered shishitos from the garden and a summer salad (tomatoes, red peppers, Persian cucumbers, red onion, cilantro, lemon juice and salt).

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210718_005850248.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1062150

Comment

I give you BBQ Health Food (as Steven Raichlen would say): chicken thighs marinated overnight in gochujang (hot Korean spice paste) and ginger, grilled over pecan, then placed on butter lettuce leaves with matchstick carrots, chopped scallions, and hot Korean BBQ sauce. (Is it still healthy if I ate three plates?)

(This was SOOOOO GOOOD. The recipe -- marinade, actually -- I adapted is here: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...orean-chicken/ The only change I made was to use low sodium soy sauce. I've done it both ways and marinating overnight with "full-strength" soy sauce is just too salty.)

Boneless chicken thighs ready to establish an intimate relationship with my Weber Kettle.

Name:	IMG-4878.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1062159

Blurry photo of the thighs getting happy. It took about 10-12 minutes to get to 180 F. I had a hot fire with B&B lump. Flipped every two minutes (lid on between flips). Moved them to the safe zone if they were getting too much char.

Name:	IMG-4879.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1062158

Anticipation.

Name:	IMG-4881.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1062161

Anticipation^2

Name:	IMG-4883.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1062160

Kinda impressed myself with how pretty this looks.

Name:	IMG-4884.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1062157

YUM.

Name:	IMG-4886.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1062156

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain’t mad at ya!

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmm... Korean tacos.

Tonight’s cook with my rub

Name:	9C80F1A2-F0DB-4AF6-9314-FF7CA590484A.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1062194

Comment

SnS Applewood Smoked Barbacoa Tacos:

Mexico City style Street Corn, (Elote), Slow Stewed Pinto Beans, Purple Cabbage Slaw in Lime Juice with Cucumber, Green Onion, Cilantro and Jalapeño from the Garden, Pickled Red Onions. Roasted Gaujillo Sauce served with lightly fried Tortillas. Enjoyed with Family and Friends.....Oh Yeah!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5826.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	1062219

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5791.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	1062220Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5804.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	1062218Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5813.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	1062221Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5793.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1062215Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5808.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1062214Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5806.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1062213Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5809.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	1062216Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5802.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	1062217Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5815.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	1062224Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	1062223Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5832.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	1062225Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5831.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	1062222
          Last edited by troymeister; July 18, 2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Delicious looking spread, well done!

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            This was a fun meal to make. Fairly labour intensive....But Fun none the less.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks great.

Was in my HEB buying some pre-sliced lunch meat at the deli counter when I looked in the bin and saw 3 half Boar's Head hams still in their cryo wrappings. Price wasn't too bad, had them on clearance for $3.00/pound. Asked the gal at the counter who she said they were due to expire and they didn't think they could get them sold as sliced so decided to sell them whole. Grabbed one, figured instead of paying their outrageous price per pound for slicing I'd just do it myself.

Anyway it's been in my freezer for about 2-3 months, saw it and decided to do something with it. I pre-sliced it down to about 1/2" from the bottom to open it up to seasoning and glaze. Rubbed it with mustard then hit it with Heath Riles' Honey Chipotle seasoning and topped that with Malcolm Reed's The BBQ Seasoning. Stuck it on a 275*F smoker with some apple wood and let her go until it reached 135*F IT. Made a pineapple habanero glaze and slathered it on the ham. I allowed that to tack up until it got to just over 140*F and pulled it to rest.

Been eating it as sandwich meat all weekend, dang good and a lot better then just a plain deli slice. I'm thinking of doing this more often, it's easy with deli sliced getting expensive and a bit dull. That way at least I can have it my way !!!

Name:	ham 01.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	1062374Click image for larger version

Name:	ham 03.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1062377Click image for larger version

Name:	ham 05.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1062376Click image for larger version

Name:	ham 06.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1062375

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice one Steve! I'm a big fan of those deli sliced sammies, might as well do it yourself and save a buck or two!

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            This looks fantastic!

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Mmmm. Looks great! I've not smoked a ham in a LONG time, and this looks like a good one.

Forgive me father.. i have sinned ..

Name:	16266335651533565003966926016078.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1062445

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            We’ve done a lot of takeout last couple weeks and sadly the Big Mac from Ronald’s drive thru was one of the better meals and that’s compared to a couple ‘real’ restaurants. French fries are definitely better dine in though, so yours looks kinda good.

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            It had bacon, no foul, carry on!

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh thank you smokenoob , i ordered extra bacon..

Perfect post to follow since my flat irons came out a little drier than I’d hoped they would .
          Attached Files
          Last edited by glitchy; July 18, 2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            So those are just grilled on the Mak? Or is that your new gas grill?

Dry indeed....
            Last edited by jfmorris; July 19, 2021, 07:42 AM.

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris They were cooked fully on the Genesis. The gasser will probably be the MAK’s searing buddy for reverse sears too.
            Last edited by glitchy; July 19, 2021, 08:10 AM.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            glitchy I guess I missed where you ended up buying a Genesis. I was being somewhat sarcastic thinking you were still shopping for a gasser! Congrats! Hope you enjoy it!

Name:	8DAA7133-1563-4514-AEF8-9C57579D46AF.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1062464
          Last night’s lamb shoulder steak. Risotto with roasted mushrooms. Green Beans.

Has anyone done a shoulder steak before? I wasn’t that happy. I am thinking next time treat them like osso buco and braise.
          Last edited by SheilaAnn; July 18, 2021, 12:55 PM. Reason: Thought it would be good to actually add the picture. duh.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Well it looks spectacular. I need to convince the wife to try lamb so I can make some. I’ve only had it in Gyros, so cannot offer advice.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn I like lamb shoulder steak. My wife, not so much. It is definitely chewy, with connective tissue, but I am part dog, so there's that. Just like a pork shoulder, it's flavorful, and you can slow cook to melt the connective tissue, or grill like a steak, and chew and spit out what doesn't give.

today
          pork loin stuffed with breakfast sausage/ bacon /cheese/panko...idea from bar b que pit boys
          smoked cream cheese with candie jalapenos and apple crisp rub..home made
          beans..photo show ingredients
          and cucumber/vidila onion salad..marinated 3 days in fridge/mayo/ dill/salt/pepper/apple cider vingar
          Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            While it all looks amazing, I am in love with the cucumber salad most. One of my favorites!! Sometimes, I will do sour cream, not mayo.

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes!!

Yesterday morning I was feeding 3, and being about 11am, decided to just make a big breakfast and call it lunch. We had bacon, some sausage, hash browns and eggs, all courtesy of the Camp Chef flat top. I love cooking on that thing! As you can see, I could have done much much more!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5655.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1062579Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5652.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	1062578Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5659.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	981.2 KB ID:	1062577Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5662.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	1062581Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5671.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	1062580
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 18, 2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

For dinner last night, I marinated a flank steak using Troutman 's awesome Tacos al Carbon recipe, and made a spice mix up for some sliced up boneless skinless chicken thighs and veggies. Made for an awesome taco night for four last night, with leftovers for lunch and dinner today! This to me is flat top cooking at its finest. After warming tortillas, I put down corn first, then the chicken, then the veggies, then the steak, and it all finished at the same time. Served with quacamole and salsa verde. I had seconds. My son in law had thirds, and he's a picky eater, so I know it was good.

Warming up the tortillas...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5678.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	886.6 KB ID:	1062587

Mid cook glamour shot...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5701.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	794.0 KB ID:	1062588

Finished results, carted in on the trusty Drip 'N Griddle...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5707.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	1062589

Sliced flank - I promise it was pinker than it looks in the photos...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5712.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	1062590

And finally, my first helping...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5716.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	987.3 KB ID:	1062591
            Last edited by jfmorris; July 18, 2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I will also comment that I never cooked corn in the husk this way, but but found a Blackstone video showing it, and decided to give it a whirl. Perfect! I'll be grilling corn in the husk if it comes in one, from now on.

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris Did you soak the corn before putting on the grill? Remove some of the husks? Any prep? Thanks

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper no soaking needed. I opened the corn up to remove the silk, leaving the husk attached. I then brushed with olive oil and added salt and pepper - didn’t use butter as I have a daughter who is dairy free right now. You then fold all the husk leaves back in place and hit the grill. I turned 90 degrees every few minutes, probably hitting each side twice. The outside of the husk will blacken but that’s ok. Peel it back and snap the corn off at the base and eat.
              Last edited by jfmorris; July 19, 2021, 07:44 AM.

SV and seared sablefish. With alton browns browned butter and almond sauce.

Name:	CB510CFA-022C-4EE6-B971-F73A0CC74315.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	1062606

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sunday night leftovers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	1062617
            Sunday Night Leftovers:
            SV Chateaubriand rubbed with avocado oil and Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning before searing at 750° on my Grill Grates. Served with Kathryn's Queen Anne Potatoes, fresh Chimichurri, and a Butterhead lettuce tossed salad with the fixins fresh from the Farmer's Market delivery. And one happy husband (not pictured.) Also not pictured is the empty bottle of Tenshun wine.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 18, 2021, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              That chateaubriand looks magnificent, Kathryn!

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              It sure does! And I love homemade scalloped potatoes, those look delicious.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't exactly call them scalloped potatoes, Panhead John , because they're just heavily buttered potato slices (I melt the butter in a bowl and dump the sliced potatoes in it to get thoroughly coated before lining them up on a buttered baking sheet) , sprinkled with S&P and baked at 425° for 45 to 50 minutes. The crispy ones are the best, although all have a nice roasted crispy vibe about them.

K.

Achiote marinated chicken thighs and breasts on the mighty Kong.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Love achiote marinaded. Did you use bitter orange with it per chance?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here