Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give you blackened steelhead trout! This is the first time that I am aware of that I have ever had trout. It's really good....I think I actually may prefer it to salmon. A little firmer and perhaps a tad sweeter.

Really tasty and I am so, so close to nailing my blackening procedure. This was a cast iron pan heated to 400 F and then the trout seared for three minutes then flipped. Finished in a 350 F oven for ten minutes. Thickest parts of the fish temped at 140 F. Perfect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4834.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1052306

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great

Simple cook for a Sunday night yesterday. Chicken thighs cooked hot indirect on the Summit Charcoal. Different prep for everyone: Shallot pepper for the missus, Byron's Butt Rub for me, and Malcom's AP rub sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's for the kids. Paired it with chopped summer veggies and corn in the husk on the Genesis gasser. Delish!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking cook new guy, welcome !!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Secret rule in Pitmaster … .the FNG has to gift his first cook to all the old timers :-)

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I can be up there in a couple hours…

Seared tuna steak using the afterburner method tonight. Also sous vide corn + compound butter (finished on cast iron)

Wife took the pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW that tuna.....drooling

After Day 2 of 110 degrees (well 108 yesterday, 110 today) we settled for cold, grilled chicken on a Caesar salad.

Name:	0A265E2D-DF4A-4EE6-9B40-0461D96B103E.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1052401

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      BradNorthGA I lived near Savannah for four years and I would currently swap the worst day there for this, hands down.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      With those kinda temps you don't even need a fire in that Hasty-Bake, at least for salmon or jerky.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I sure used a lot less charcoal than normal.

Smoked spaghetti squash and meatballs.

Name:	Resizer_16249354276550.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	1052408

Comment

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      I *love* spaghetti squash. Got a recipe for that?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      BradNorthGA Me too, I tossed this together with stuff from the store. I had a jar of bruschetta I tasted and thought it tasted like a decent spaghetti sauce. So I picked up a squash and meatballs from the store. I cooked the squash in my Primo yesterday morning. Today I heated everything in the microwave because it's too hot to cook. The smoke was a nice touch.

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with corn, steamed in the husk.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated22.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1052542

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close22b.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1052541

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close22.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1052540

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Blasphemy!!!

Last night's and tonight's cooks.

Last night was asparagus and chicken stir fry. It turned out very tasty, and my wife was pleased.

Name:	20210627_181810[1].jpg
Views:	321
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1052663

Tonight was a Berkshire loin chop with a salad and Yukon Gold baked potatoes. I ate my salad while the chop was coming up to temp. This was my first Berkshire pork, and I was not impressed. It was not tender and the flavor was meh. I front seared and pulled it at 138°. The chop was 2.2 lbs before I trimmed the fat cap off the edge, and wound up about 1.6 lbs.

Name:	20210629_172139[1].jpg
Views:	264
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1052666

Name:	20210629_173004[1].jpg
Views:	278
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1052664

Name:	20210629_174627[1].jpg
Views:	261
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1052665

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have enjoyed Berkshire chops many times. I get the porterhouse cut though. Always tender and flavorful. I have never seen a chop cut like yours. Have no idea why yours was disappointing I’m aftaid. 🤷‍♂️

Did a Rib Eye , 18 oz. B4 trim. Figure 14 oz. Was going to grill, weather changed that to Q'Ved 2 hours at 133. Traditional baked potato. Reverse seared in C.I. pan with bacon press leaned on to help with sear. All good.

Name:	20210629_154440.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1052723Click image for larger version

Name:	20210629_194147.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1052724

​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20210629_195743.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1052725

Name:	20210629_195901.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1052726 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! Nice wine choice too!! Soghesio does not disappoint!

Sunday was seafood night. I boiled some shrimp with Tony Chachere’s and did blackened catfish on the grill in my CI pan. Also sautéed some scallops on the stove with butter and fresh garlic. Everything came out good, especially the blackened catfish. It’s my favorite way to do fish, using Louisiana Brand Blackened Seasoning. I like it better than Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Seasoning myself.
    Attached Files

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking meal there. But why the near beer?

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      RustyHaines I was out of O’doul’s.

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair enough comparison.

I grilled some chicken to make lettuce cups with rice vermicelli, carrot, jalapeno, cilantro, cashews, a tasty sauce, and a cucumber side salad.

Name:	Resizer_16250196593810.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	1052744

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty plate of fresh, real food.....as per usual!

Maxed out the pellet pooper with 56 pounds of Pectoral muscles. Took it a little easier on the next cook.

Name:	IMG_20210519_134044.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1052772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210614_030403.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1052773

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Luv to see a stuffed cooker!

I’m thinking smoked bear tonight…..
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you take the pic? What’s the story?

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John That pic is from a neighbor a few docks down. We seem to have lottsa bears this year. I went out in my boat this morning and found two bears playing in the water by Dead Mans Island, about 100 yards from my house. Added those pics
      Last edited by smokenoob; June 30, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Last night we had a bunch of summer squash to use up (both yellow and zucchini) that my dad gave me last week, and Yvonne saw a recipe she thought looked good in Southern Living, so I obliged and used my trusty Lodge 12" to make "Summer Squash Gratin" (recipe here: https://www.southernliving.com/recip...-squash-gratin). Recipe is a keeper and saved in Paprika for future use. I had no parmesan so used shredded Colby jack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5436.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	1052850

I also thawed a 3 pound bag of Purdue chicken wings and made grilled buffalo wings on the Weber Genesis II.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5434.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.51 MB ID:	1052852

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5437.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	1052854

Everything came together nicely. Sorta an odd mix of squash and buffalo wings, but both were super good and we both had seconds!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5435.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	1052853Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5439.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	1052851
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 30, 2021, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wings look tasty !!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman yes indeed they were! I just did a simple mix of 1 cup Frank's Red-hot to one stick of butter. I thought we might have a little left over with 3 pounds of wings, but with the wife having 2nds and me having 3rds, they were all consumed. The Purdue wings were small, and not those monster ones you sometimes see. I like the smaller ones better.

Right now this is one of the very few things I actually use my gas grill for.

We’ve been out camping for a week now along Washington coast. Made reservations last year sometime, little did I know it would be the perfect time to be camping at the beach with the temps we were getting at home in NW Oregon (110-115°!). Brought my little Davie Crocket smoker with us and was trying to come up with something to do with chicken breasts. Found the Bacon Wrapped Chicken Burnt Ends posting in the poultry section and tried those. They ended up delicious and everyone raved over them.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really good! How’d you keep the bacon in place without toothpicks?

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John just wrapped it tight and put seams down. I left the pieces on that little grate and put straight onto smoker. Once the bacon was set, I was able to flip them over.

Traded my friend babyback ribs for gutter cleaning. No sauce. First photo is 5 hour mark, the rest are a sneak at the final product.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD282C23-4669-433A-9EFC-CC63913C55F3.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	5.38 MB ID:	1053032

Click image for larger version  Name:	764D1A10-1936-4A29-9567-A1A1AD68D8F7.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	905.2 KB ID:	1053031
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4C110EB2-2CC5-4A57-903C-6A2803AE1D4B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	957.2 KB ID:	1053095
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 30, 2021, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      @threroc , I call it bite coin.. lol

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look tremendous.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummy! And, great photos, Richard.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here