Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't tell my Mother (she still thinks after all these years that I don't drink), but I love Angel's Envy bourbon aged in port wine barrels, Laphroaig scotch (mmmMMMMmmm peaty!) or a martini made with Stoli Jalapeno flavored vodka. Simple pleasures indeed.

When I'm not drinking those on special occasions, I'm always on the lookout for a good wine, white or red. Or beer. Scotch ales are way up there.

Makers Mark, Huskee? Best mint juleps ever!

Kathryn

Comment

• jonarcher17
      jonarcher17 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just got back from vacation in Wisconsin where I had the opportunity to try Central Waters scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels. I highly recommend if you can find it!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, jonarcher17 . I'll look for it. I love scotch ales.

• SMO
      SMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Just tried Angels Envy at a local hangout. Outstanding! The first sip was quite a shocker!

Bourbon: Angel's Envy is my current favorite, with Blanton's taking a close second

Scotch: Macallan 15, 18, and 21, Glenlivet 15 and 18, Lagavulin 16, Balvenie 21, Talisker 10, Glenmorangie 18. No particular order. Depends on my mood, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      Don't tell my Mother (she still thinks after all these years that I don't drink)
      As long as she doesn't join the club your secret's safe with us!

Comment

Woodford Reserve nice distinct flavor - WL Weller is affordable and VERY smooth - Wild Turkey 101 - A new micro distillery in Waco, Tx produces Balcones Brimstone, "Texas Scrub Oak Smoked Corn Whiskey" made iwth 100% Blue Corn. The truth be told it packs a bold straightforward shot of whiskey for an initial punch, then breaks down to subtlety deliver many of the virtues described on the label such as - "a whiskey full of fresh youthful corn and light fruit notes married with a bold smokiness". OK I cannot really tell if the taste of the youthful corn is early teens, mid teens or of legal age. But this glass of spirits, presently sippin' some, is worth the special order placed at my local spirits dealer, aprox. $45 for the 750ml.

Single Malts - Lagavulin 16, Highland Park, Balvenie Double Wood, Glenfarclas - I never met a single malt that I didn't like. Most of my single malt days were enjoyed during the 90's and early 2000's, back in my traveling salesman and expense account days. I still love these nectar of the gods, but as I have come to learn not all distilleries produce precise replicas each and every year, similar to good years and bad years for wines. So as I may have been drinking some rather special spirits back in the day, and very many different brands too, these single malts may have a bit different composure nowadays. I still like product from the four brands stated as I have ponied up my own hard earned cash to have recent associations with each one.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Had the privilege of trying Woodford Reserve recently, VERY nice bourbon. Smooth!

Laphroig and Lagavulin are my favorite scotches after years of drinking around the highlands and the isles. Never went for lowland scotch. Drank 18 yr Macallan for years until I got tired of the heavy sherry taste. Talisker is another nice scotch, Oban and Ardbeg are too, and so is Highland Park and ..... I like Maker's Mark for bourbon. Always take scotch and bourbon neat.
        Last edited by Bill P; July 28, 2014, 04:47 PM. Reason: My original post was erased when I edited it. Doh!

Comment

Whooooo boy talk about starting a religious war .... getting people to tell you what their favorite bourbon, scotch, etc are is dangerous business! The only good thing is that if we get busy sampling each other's favorites we will probably forget all about defending our holy bottle!

Here you go --

Single Malt - Lagavulin 16 Distiller's Edition, which my wife got me for Christmas this year. Finest Islay single malt I've yet had.
          Blended scotch - Johnnie Walker Blue Label. Got a fifth of that as a Christmas present a few years back. Also a truly fine whiskey.
          Bourbon - Four Roses Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon
          Honorable mention - Suntori Yamazaki single malt ... I must admit the Japanese know what they are doing with a single malt!

Now, what about favorite cigar to go with your bourbon or scotch?

Comment

Kathryn said:
            I love Angel's Envy bourbon aged in port wine barrels
            I like Angel's Envy a lot ... but I think Four Roses might edge it out. Have you tried?

Also, for all who like Laphroaig .... I think a 16 year old Lagavulin might make you very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post

Now, what about favorite cigar to go with your bourbon or scotch?
              I like these. Don't judge.

Comment

Originally posted by thevoog View Post
                knob creek is doing some great stuff with bourbons and whiskeys Glenmorangie and Lagavullin are great scotches. I am partial to centennial 15-25 year reserve rye whiskey.
                OMG. exactly what I was going to post. Weird! I love knob Creek Reserve, Laglavulin 16 is nice and smokey and peaty. Great stuff, I I generally just really enjoy anything Glenmorangie. Been lucky enough to have a couple bottles of the 18. Always loved the Lasanta! Jim

Comment

Pitmaster wrote:
                  I like these. Don't judge.
                  I'm trying really hard to still like you .... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                    Pitmaster wrote:

I'm trying really hard to still like you .... ;-)
                    No judging! They really are good, cheap, and plentiful... kinda like Kingsford Blue Bag.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No doubt competition is great for heat, but I find it burns out quicker. Jerod Broussard has recently turned me onto B&B Charcoal. Here in Charlotte NC I can find it at Academy. It burns hot and the coals are large/dense so they last quite a while. Might be worth trying in your situation.

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I might give those a shot. I've tried several different types of cigars. I really do like the backwoods. They're very mild. I've had Nicaraguans, Dominicans, Cubans (legally while stationed in the middle east)... and a few others. I'm not a total cheapo when it comes to stogies.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In my line of work as a respiratory therapist I caution people against smoking (other than meat), since your lungs aren't designed for smoke. They're designed for air. When you use something against what it's designed for you ruin it. But I wont preach since I get job security from setting up oxygen, breathing treatments and ventilators (big lol)

I like knob creek for bourbon, Redbreast 12 or 15 for whiskey, and for scotch I like Balvenie.
                    I drink cheaper stuff from time to time but I go to a lot of charity events where wine is the primary beverage so I drank half a hundred bottles to see what I liked. I quickly realized that for a good wine, which I could drink in a sitting, I was spending as much on that as on a good whiskey that would last a while, so now I drink beer, then bourbon, then whiskey, then scotch, and finally wine.

Comment

• Waster
                      Waster commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 for Redbreast, it is elixir !

Originally posted by John View Post
                    ... so now I drink beer, then bourbon, then whiskey, then scotch, and finally wine.
                    You gotta do what it takes to push through. It's a hard job... but somebody has to do it.

Comment

Wow, lot's of feedback! A good Glenfiddich is good..., but I'll take a Canadian Whiskey any day.... Crown Reserve is wonderful.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just not Canadian Mist. It's a great mixer though.

MacAllan, Jameson, Evan Williams

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here