Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite day-to-day bourbon is Bulleit, it's really grown on me over the past few months. If I feel like spending a little more, I'll go with Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek Single Barrel. Can't go wrong with either of those 2!

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Bulleit RAWKS! I like their Rye the best.

Someday Santa will bring one of these >> Glenmorangie The Quarter Century 25 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Click image for larger version

Name:	GLENMO25A-256x350.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	25598

Comment

Count me as another fan of Buffalo Trace Bourbon. As far as scotch goes, I love JW Blue Lable but settle for Black Label.

Comment

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	182
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	26585 I kinda like Mr Jack myself

Comment

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	182
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	26587 and some chaser

Comment

Now that the weather is turning, it's a great time to drink bourbon while BBQing. Here is one of my favorites when the air is nippy: 2 parts apple cider 2parts ginger beer (sub ginger ale if you have to) 1 part bourbon Serve over ice with a wedge of lemon. You can drink yourself silly without ever knowing it happened! Enjoy!

Comment

• Flavorsavor
              Flavorsavor commented
              Editing a comment
              I've tried this since I first saw this, made it as a punch for a birthday dinner at my place. It was a huge hit, went perfectly with the fall weather. Thanks for the post.

my favorite bourbons are (in no order): stagg jr ( i just picked up my bottle after being on the waiting list for 9 months), four roses, willett, parker's heritage, and eagle rare. my house mixer is good ol' jim beam. i drank a whole bottle of johnny walker when i was 18. i was in the navy & we had pulled into Portugal. i had to be carried back to the boat & haven't touched scotch since (i'm 41 now). that was a lesson i still haven't forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by rockytop View Post
              my favorite bourbons are (in no order): stagg jr ( i just picked up my bottle after being on the waiting list for 9 months), four roses, willett, parker's heritage, and eagle rare. my house mixer is good ol' jim beam. i drank a whole bottle of johnny walker when i was 18. i was in the navy & we had pulled into Portugal. i had to be carried back to the boat & haven't touched scotch since (i'm 41 now). that was a lesson i still haven't forgotten.
              I've had a lesson similar to that one. I imagine that's somewhat common around here. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
                I've had a lesson similar to that one. I imagine that's somewhat common around here. Lol.
                Peppermint schnapps for me. I was 18 or 19. Won't touch the stuff to this day.

Comment

A special occasion and budget pick for each. Scotch...Caol Isla 12 yr., White Horse Bourbon...Eagle Rare, Old Forester

Comment

High West makes a very nice 12 year old Rye thats a great pour for a reasonable price. They make a scotch, bourbon rye mix that intrigues me but that I haven't had the nerve to pick up yet. Enjoy Black Maple Hills bourbon when I can get my hands on it. Like to stare at my bottle of Pappy and reminisce on the days I used to be able to pick up a bottle. Highland Park 18 and laphroaig are my single malts of choice.

Comment

High West Prairie Reserve... my new fav!

Name:	highwestprairiereserve.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	30370

I should say though, that my favorite whiskey is the one that is set in front of me! LOL

Last edited by smarkley; November 9, 2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Basil Hayden is my bourbon of choice. Lagavulin is my favorite scotch. Laphroig is also a favorite.

Comment

• smarkley
                          smarkley commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Basil Hayden = Awesome!

I was never a Scotch drinker but a friend finally got me to try Glenmorangie last weekend and I really like it. Picked up this one for Christmas festivities.

Comment

• IrondeQuer
                          IrondeQuer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          smarkley, you are absolutely right! It was EXCELLENT and contributed to a wonderful Christmas Eve! Now I want to try the others too.

• IrondeQuer
                          IrondeQuer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          smarkley, I have since had the Lasanta and Quinta Ruban based on your recommendation. Wasn't too fond of the Quinta but have gone back for the Lasanta a couple of times now!! Thanks!!

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What a cool old post here! I don't remember reading this initially, but I've come to love Glenmorangie, especially the Lasanta (it's all I've tried of their sherried offerings)

I have been on a tasting fest of all kinds of American whiskies for several months now... it has been interesting. I have concluded a few things

- I have concluded that I am not real crazy about wheated whiskeys ( Makers Mark, Larceny, Old Fitzgerald, Wellers, etc) I remember my first bottle of Makers Mark... boring. I even got a 2nd bottle and TRIED to like, it! Then I tried some Larceny a couple months later... boring, same with Old Fitz, same with Weller. What worries me (THIS COULD BE VIEWED AS SACRILEGIOUS), is that when I finally get a chance to try Pappy Van Winkle, I may find it boring too.

- I have concluded that bourbons are great and Tennessee whiskey is just OK... Bourbon is THE current American whiskey, it is sweet, and good, and truly must be a nectar from the gods!

- Also, I have a soft spot for old styles... I like old style cocktails (Manhattans, Whiskey Sours, Old Fashions)... but more than that I like the FIRST American whiskey made mostly from RYE, and was used in these early old school cocktails. For me Rye is the quintessential American whiskey, and it is making a big comeback... I am on top of it, too LOL -- I have tried all the biggies (Templeton, Rittenhouse, Bulleit, Dickel) and lots of little guys are coming out with great Rye whiskeys too (Whistle Pig, High West, Dad's Hat, lots of others)... The Rye revival is fun and there is a really big playing field out there for Rye right now. When something like this increased variety and choices happens, the winners are the consumers!

-Yeah what about Canadian... well it does have a lot of Rye generally, but a lot of Canadian reminds me of brown vodka (*ducks*) I endeavor to find a Canadian whiskey that I can like, though... I do have my eyes on a couple little guys in Ontario and couple in the west who are trying to do it right though. So there may be hope yet for Canada

If any of you guys are tired of the same old safe choices... and maybe you want to broaden your *spirits* horizons a little, you should explore the new American Rye whiskeys.

Comment

• _John_
                          _John_ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I like Rye's fairly well, I usually drink Bulleit and like Manhattans as well. I am an odd duck, I mix things to get the flavors I like. Right now I have a bottle of rye Bulleit and I am mixing in a little Dewar's 12 year. This works well for me because I get the American style but also add some sweetness and peatiness from the scotch. I don't mind doing things i'm not 'supposed' to do, I am drinking because I enjoy the flavor not because some guy says it has to be a certain way.

Have you tried the Dickel 12? I was not a Dickel fan in general but a friend gifted me a bottle and it is quite different from the rest, unusually so.

As far as Canadian whiskey, i'm with you, I think i'd have better luck finding authentic Mexican food in North Dakota.

• smarkley
                          smarkley commented
                          Editing a comment
                          hahaha laughing @ Mexican food in North Dakota! Like it!

For Tennessee whiskey I do like the Dickel 12 the best... JD is an icon but definitely not a fav of mine.

I have to think about mixing totally different types of whiskey... that may be the new frontier!

Actually High West has an interesting blend, something like that called Camp Fire -- read this blurb from @caskers:
                          The whiskey is made from a secret blend of six-year old bourbon (made from a mash of 75% corn, 20% rye and 5% malted barley), five-year old rye (made from a mash of 95% rye and 5% barley) and lightly *peated* eight-year old Scotch (made from 100% malted barley). As a result, it has a unique flavor profile - the rich and sweet flavors of the bourbon are well-balanced by notes of spicy rye and complemented by a touch of smoke. "We got it exactly right," says Perkins (the owner) of the whiskey.

• _John_
                          _John_ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awesome, sounds exactly what I have been hooking up.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here