Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone describe the taste of Scitch to me? I am not trying to be funny but when I tried it in our room in Jamaica it didn't so good. I keep saying that I am going to goto a Scotch bar or somewhere and try a top shelf to see if there is any different taste. Maybe it just isn't for me idk tia

Comment

• Pork Lord
      Pork Lord commented
      Editing a comment
      Ain't no way in hell to do that. They all have their subtleties. I prefer a smokey peat waft to my scotch. Just don't but cheap stuff. You get what you pay for when it comes to Scotch.

Tried Laphroaig for the first time a few weeks ago. That's some good stuff, really smokey!!

Comment

Originally posted by livespive View Post
      Can someone describe the taste of Scitch to me? I am not trying to be funny but when I tried it in our room in Jamaica it didn't so good. I keep saying that I am going to goto a Scotch bar or somewhere and try a top shelf to see if there is any different taste. Maybe it just isn't for me idk tia
      For many of us Scotch is an acquired taste. I didn't really like or appreciate it until I was about 40. I also have a lot of Scot in my genes and now Scotch is my libation of choice whenever I can get it.

Comment

It's an acquired taste, scotch tastes better as I grow older.
        Come to think of it, Scotch is probably more about calming the nerves than actual taste.

Comment

Ok, I'm in my 40's now. I was younger when I tasted it, we will see how it goes. Thanks,

Comment

When I first drank it all I could taste was peat and alcohol, I thought all of the people who could taste chocolate and tobacco and stuff were full of it, it was closer to sipping gas than to anything very good. The more you drink it though the more you kind of get used to it and then one day you kind of start tasting the good stuff.
            To me it is a lot like starting to drink coffee, most people don't drink a strong pot black at first, they pull the bitterness out with sugar and creamer, then a little less until you don't use any.

I'm not a big wine guy but I worked with this guy for a bit, he is a Master of Wine of which there are 312 in the world, and 34 in the US. You could give him a bottle of anything and he could tell you what grapes, what year, which vineyard and unless they were sharing who produced it. Really amazing.

Comment

• livespive
              livespive commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, that makes alot of sense. I can taste the flavors in black coffee (I don't drink it that much) when at first it used to be bitter. I will have to try this again.

Hard to pin a favorite down for me. I currently have over a dozen bottles of true Kentucky Bourbon, and at least a dozen different scottish single malts. Some of my go tos for bourbon are Bookers, Blatans, Knob Creek, as well as some special bottlings of Jim Beam. While it is not really a bourbon, I also like Jacobs Ghost from Jim Beam. I just visited the American Stillhouse about a month ago (Jim Beam).

Single malts I like Macallan's or Balvenie Doublewood and Glenfiddich probably as my go tos. Two Gingers is a new found love for an Irish single malt.

As you can probably tell. I am a whisky fan. I also do have a small collection of various moonshines, some homemade ,several regional small batch commercial. My fav in those would be Redeye, found only in Illinois. I got my first bottle of that right across the street from Mike Mills' 17th Street BBQ in Marion.

Comment

I really like to drink Bourbon. Usually Maker's Mark or Buffalo trace are my regular brands. Last year, I got a bottle of 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle and thought that it lived up to its hype. The problem is that it's hard to find it.
              A few weeks ago I tasted this Bourbon named Pinhook that tasted similar to the Pappy. It was delicious! It cost about $54 per bottle and is worth every penny of it.

Comment

My 'daily' bourbon would be Makers Mark but my favorite is Basil Hayden's. As for my scotch, thanks to my ex-wife's father I am a big fan of Old Pultney

Comment

• Pork Lord
                  Pork Lord commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Old Pultney has a "Cask Strength" version that with a little cool filtered water is just mind blowing.

I have some WhistlePig coming this week... heh heh. We cant get it our state for some reason...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wp1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	22430

Comment

If you like smokey, the best 2 scotches are Lagavulin 16 year old and Arbeg Alligator. Alligator is a special edition and hard to find. If don't love them, I'll gladly take them off your hands!

Comment

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have had Lagavulin 16 ... excellent Scotch!

• archer2010
                    archer2010 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is only mildly snarky. I have had a few glasses of Lagavulin 16. Quite smokey, but the iodine taste is over the top for me. I do like Ardbeg; good smoke, wish the color were darker.

I have a connection here in Houston who makes a homemade Moonshine that is ultra smooth…well for moonshine that is. A slow burn and no sharp or "wang" to the taste as I would say. Better than any shelf bought stuff I have ever tried. I'm more of a bourbon man myself. I like Makers 46 (totally destroys Makers original in my book, worth every extra penny) My standby is W.L. Weller Reserve at 20$ it's the finest bourbon at that price with two cubes of ice in it. Also a big fan of Buffalo Trace.

Comment

• Flyway BBQ
                    Flyway BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    W.L. Welled is a great pour at a bargain price. It's always in my cabinet.

Has any one ever had Loche morch? Macallan sherry cask; cask strength has a nice finish a cheap single malt which is surprisingly good is Lismore. In burbon Bookers

Comment

Nope but that first one The cask strength aged in a sherry cask sounds delectable!

Comment

I recently tried these two, and I think they're worthy of honorable mention:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Woodford Reserve (had to d-load from their site, my pic was crappy)
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5504.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24613 Click image for larger version

Name:	woodford.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24614

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here