Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh I love these threads.

I used to drink a ton of Scotch, and it's still my fav, but I'm having to tighten the purse strings a bit, especially as my BBQ addiction grows. lol

For Scotch, mainly I go with The Balvenie Doublewood and Glenmorangie Lasanta. Also the Macallan 10 and 12, if I am feeling spendy. I don't often do much other than those, after years of trying various ones, I've found those are the ones I like.

I have gotten MUCH more into bourbon lately. I've found some great values, mainly I like the Evan Williams Single Barrel as a great bargain whiskey, definitely superb for those on a budget. Elijah Craig is my next most common, probably. I got some Blanton's a few weeks back, and at that pricepoint, I'm pretty well rationing it out. Four Roses is good as well, especially the Single Barrel and Small Batch. Really like Larceny, too, for something with a bit more body. Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof is great, but also a bit more, like $50 for a 750mL, but it's more like 120 proof.

Buffalo Trace was ok, Eagle Rare is alright, as well. Doubt I'll ever have Pappy's, lol.

<edit> For Scotch, I should add The Balvenie Portwood as another particular favorite. All you can find now is the 20y version, which runs about $200. I haven't had that one, but I did happen to run across a few cases of the 1993 Portwood (12y). This was bottled in 1993, the same as the 20y, same batch and everything, but the 1993 version was released in 2005/2006 and has been sold out everywhere for years. I bought 3 cases, and I think there are a couple cases left if I want to get them, which I will eventually - but the problem is getting them back into the US, 2 bottles at a time! lol

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are two of my fav. Scotches too, the BDW and GL. I couldn't' get into the Evan Williams Single Barrel, too nutty for me, but Elijah Craig is def great stuff!

• wustl-duck
      wustl-duck commented
      Editing a comment
      As I’m sure you’ve already read other places, if you want Pappy juice without the insanity, just get the Weller.

Makers guy here too, and I lean to 46 as well but I love Cask Strength or regular red cap as well. Also a big fan of Evan Williams Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel (Rye mashbills).

Speyside drinker on scotch side. Glenrothes, Glenmorangie being favorites, particularly Astar

Comment

I can never seem to make up my mind ..... so I just order everything .....

Regardez George Thorogood - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - Bébépanda sur Dailymotion

Comment

Jim Beam Black makes a nice end to the day.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, it does, indeed!
          Great Stuff, I always keep it stocked, here...

So I run out of Blanton's (took me a while I just "sip" now-a-days) and went over to Total Wine to look for another bottle. Can't find it, what the heck? Ask the manager, "oh sorry sir we didn't get any on our last delivery". I mean like they must have 100,000 bottles of beer, wine, spirits hell even soda water and NO Blanton's? Well I'm about to leave to go over to Spec's to see if they have any when I turn and run into an old friend, The Glenlivet 15. I mean do you have a bottle of anything that when you see it you remember all the "times when", either good or bad? That's The Glenlivet 15 for me.

I realize there are so many good single malts out there but this one will do just fine for me, thank you very much. Cheers .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Glenlivet.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	500021

Comment

• MeatMonster
          MeatMonster commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmmmmmm. I am a fan of the 15.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Blanton's is always in short supply. Part of how they keep up its hype (and prices).

I’d have to say I like bid dog maple, and peach, but I’m cheap!

Comment

Bird*

Comment

bourbon wise im a double makers on the rocks guy. when it comes to scotch its really hard to pick one but if i had to then its lagavullan

Comment

in a few years nothing will be the same anyway

Comment

Love the smoky single malt: Lagavulin and Ardbeg Uigeidail are great. If I'm looking for a break from the smoke, I like Glenfiddich. Old Pulteney is a nice, easy drinker.

For bourbon, Woodford Reserve. Lately, Four Roses has found its way into my glass.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lagavulin.......man is that stuff good. The smell alone is worth the price of admission.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haven't gotten to those upper reaches (because I don't drink too much hard stuff in recent years). Laphroig has been a favorite since the mid-70s' though.

• IllinoisJim
                  IllinoisJim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Laphroig is excellent! I love how you get a square foot of land near the distillery with each bottle.

somebody just sent this to me
                What happens when a dozen-odd whiskey aficionados, led by one maniacally obsessed Southern chef and the reigning bourbon king, gather to test twenty-four years' worth of a legendary brand? Among other things, a hell of a good time

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was a delightful read, brother!
                  Many Thanks!

• Brewmaster
                  Brewmaster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  would have loved to have been there

Love me some Springbank 21... pricy, but amazing! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E3903.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	547742

Comment

Recently acquired Monkey Shoulder, I gotta say I think it's the Buffalo Trace of scotch- darn good middle of the road pour on the cheap (relatively speaking). Can't find anything wrong with it.

Name:	IMAG1508.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	547917

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like Monkey Shoulder a lot. Probably too much...

• bongo_52
                    bongo_52 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Monkey Shoulder is a solid pour. It's a "vatted malt" or "blended malt" - no grain alcohol component.

Nickname for Monkey Shoulder is "KGB" for the three William Grant & Sons scotch distilleries that provide the juice: Kininvie, Glenfiddich and Balvanie.

Name:	EBCAA392-C29F-48E2-8CFE-A6B9738B93C9.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	547762 Huskee. Try this. Should be available in your area. Cherry infused.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keiferr I'll admit I haven't tried it, but I'll be honest and say I'm leery. Two reasons, 1) I tried their regular bourbon and didn't care for it, 2) I've tried other cherry-infused bourbons and didn't care for them.

However, Grand Traverse Distillery is really good stuff if we're talking TC's home grown spirits!

Huskee - JW Blue Label on sale:

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What a deal! Lol. I joke because I think JWB is wayyyyy overpriced. I'm a fan, but I'm much more a fan of the Green label myself, better flavor:cost ratio IMO.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here