Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAPPY FESTIVUS! (We now commence with the airing of the food-related grievances)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    - Walking away from the stove because of a phone call, leaving it to me to go stir or watch whatever is on the stove, then getting upset that I took over in the kitchen when you come back 15 minutes later, having forgotten you were browning ground beef or such.

- Locking the doors into and out of the house, or padlocking a gate while we are working in the yard and still need to go in or out of the backyard. This is my one son-in-law's thing. He is totally paranoid about theft and intrusion apparently.
    You've been watching my wife I see.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang.

I sleep with a 1911A1 under th pillow, right beside me, but haven't gone all kinda batshite crazy over no padlocks, jus yet.

Sheesh.

Makes my PTSD feel better...

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    I'll post a few of my pet peeves:

- Microwaving without covering the plate, leaving it to ME to clean the entire inside of the microwave at some future date.

- Loading (and overloading) the dishwasher with bowls, cups, etc, that are NOT upside down or facing the center of the dishwasher. I.e. turned to hold water or with the dirty side of the bowl up against the wall of the dishwasher. Or putting stuff on top of other stuff. And then COMPLAINING later how the fairly new dishwasher stinks and we should have bought a different model that cleans better.

- Rinsing browned ground meat under running water, loosing all the flavor from the fat! Seriously! I just saw this one happen this morning and had to bite my tongue and walk away. It was ground chicken, so probably no flavor to start with this time... supposedly getting rid of all that fat (and flavor) is good for us...

- Walking away from the stove because of a phone call, leaving it to me to go stir or watch whatever is on the stove, then getting upset that I took over in the kitchen when you come back 15 minutes later, having forgotten you were browning ground beef or such.

- Locking the doors into and out of the house, or padlocking a gate while we are working in the yard and still need to go in or out of the backyard. This is my one son-in-law's thing. He is totally paranoid about theft and intrusion apparently.
    Ok, this is weird, when I just look at jfmorris' post, I don't see the bit at the bottom about locking the doors, however, when I quote his post, it shows up. Anyone else see the same?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Typically when I take in the full length and breath of a jfmorris tome I make sure the room is empty, got my readers on, have a nice glass of port to sip on because I know I’m in for the long haul. 😂🤣

(Just at teasing Jimbo, we love you man !!! ❤️)

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I added the nit picking about the son in law after you had viewed the page, but it pulled it in when you quoted…

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh, the old caching issue. Makes sense!

So I was at Costco yesterday and noted the following prices, all choice grade: boneless ribeye roast $12.99 per pound; whole untrimmed ribeye (still in kryovac) 12.99/lb.; and bone-in rib roast, 12.99/lb. (they did give you ten cents off if you took a whole bone in loin). So basically, they are selling bones for the same price as the meat, and most people are too ignorant to even care??
    Last edited by Murdy; December 23, 2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t figure out why I didn’t get that $3 a lb discount on the cryo? They messed up my whole Christmas! I use the price break to get my wife to allow me the large roast for steaks. Nope, not this year. Bah humbug!

Minor grievances (because I've learned to live with them):

1) Recipes that call for "1 onion", "4 carrots" or whatever ingredient you choose that can come in a variety of sizes, with no accompanying measurement/weight.

2) Recipes on the internet with comments like "Great recipe! But when I made it I used this instead of that, added extra whatever, don't like you-name-it so I didn't use any and yadda, yadda, yadda. The whole family loved it!"

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 to the "Can't wait to try this - 5 stars!!"

Morons - stupidest comment ever.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Or they make changes, don't like it and give it a poor rating...

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this entire thread….one star 😜

"I always rinse and soak dirty dishes" says the person who NEVER rinses or soaks dirty dishes.

And the same issue as some of you with cramming the dishwasher AND laundry machine beyond capacity.

Update: Not 5 minutes after I posted this "She Who NEVER Rinses Or Soaks Dirty Dishes" just rinsed and soaked our dirty breakfast bowls. Confounding infernal woman must have a ghost account in The Pit!!!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; December 23, 2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh - I forgot about the washing machine! That's a common one in these parts too.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, the related: "I haven't washed that yet because it is SOAKING"
      After a while, it's not soaking, it's just procrastination.

Using the oven for storage.

Not washing the box grater IMMEDIATELY after using it.

Ordering a ribeye and cutting around the fat, leaving it on the plate (not talking gristle). Just order a sirloin or tenderloin instead. Also applies to strip steaks.

Too much soy sauce for your sushi; dunking the rice in it. Trying to start a fire with your bamboo chopsticks.

Calling something a Philly cheesesteak that isn't. Lots of "fine" steak sandwiches out there. Philly Cheesesteak is a specific thing. (Good general rule when ordering: if it's called a Philly Cheesesteak on the menu, it's probably not. Legit places just call them cheesesteaks)

edit: volumetric measurements for non-liquids.
    Last edited by gboss; December 23, 2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      "Not washing the box grater IMMEDIATELY after using it."

OMG - this is a 2 second task if done while still in your hand. A 5 minute ordeal when you let all the crap dry.

Same comment for colanders used to drain potatoes or pasta. Ten more seconds - just rinse it right then!!!!

"If we have 2 bags of brown sugar already in the cupboard, there’s no need to order a third when you finish the open bag."

”I didn’t know”

”Ok”

🤷‍♀️ 🤦‍♀️

Comment

Buying two of something we’ve never had because it was on sale. Then tossing the second item because she didn’t like it. - my wife

Also, not checking if we have an item and buying it again, and again…
    This why we have two or three of everything for our kitchen. - again my wife

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same complaint...........but it's me!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I went grocery shopping this morning and we now have 3 half gallons of milk! But, in my defense milk never gets erased from the grocery list!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Store=milk.bacon.cheese.bread.mebbe grd beef.

ice cream sold in packages smaller than a 1/2 gallon from brands/flavors that you like better than the available 1/2-gallon sized options in the grocery store.

those zip-top packages that are perfectly fine until someone else tries to open them, resulting in a ripped bag with ziptop still intact.

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you're talking about pints of ice cream? Not just brands and flavors, but also quality.

You made me think of the Grocery Shrink Ray in general.
      Nope, not a half gallon of ice cream anymore. Now it's 48-52oz of "frozen dairy dessert" and that is NOT the same. GTFO of here with that stuff.
      Last edited by gboss; December 23, 2021, 12:22 PM.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      So what's wrong with the 16 ounce, single serving size of ice cream?

After cooking 2 prime steaks and special sides to make a nice dinner for two only to hear my bride say " sweetheart, mom and my sisters are coming over. Do we have enough for them too?

Using clean dish towels as napkins

Laying dirty utensils on the counter I just cleaned when there's paper towels right there

Adding spices to something I just cooked without tasting it first

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I relate to the last one. My wife will automatically dump salt on everything before tasting it. Always.

Do NOT put my knives in the dishwasher ..... wash by hand
    What the hell did you do to those poor ribs (my neighbor does NOT know how to cook ribs)
    That is not a beer glass

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      In times of need, ANYTHING can be a beer glass.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Why bother with a glass at all? (unless it’s a frozen mug)

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have beer glasses. English pint style, German pilsner, etc. Don't be putting beer in a stupid plastic cup when I've got the good stuff. Or drink from the bottle like a heathen. :-)

Oh, and cross contaminating! Using the mayo knife to dip into the mustard jar or spooning salsa with the same spoon that just spooned some sour cream, especially when I've made the effort to head it off by placing enough utensils to avoid that.

Comment

• synodog
      synodog commented
      Editing a comment
      These!

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
    Oh, and cross contaminating!
    People who double-dip their chip in the communal salsa!

People who dip their chip into the communal salsa bowl, then hover their face over the bowl while they eat their freshly-dipped chip.

People who feel the need to reach all the way over the sneeze guard to point at the ingredients at the Subway sandwich shop.
    "I'd like some [REACHES AND POINTS] tomato, some [MOVES HAND AND ARM] green pepper, etc"

Hosts who don't put a serving utensil into the bowl of communal nuts. If we wanted your hands to touch our nuts, we'd ask. Use the spoon! USE THE SPOON!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      They’re nothing wrong with hands touching the nuts. Unless it’s some dude.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Originally posted by MarkN View Post
    Minor grievances (because I've learned to live with them):

1) Recipes that call for "1 onion", "4 carrots" or whatever ingredient you choose that can come in a variety of sizes, with no accompanying measurement
    Yes. That one.

also. "Salt to taste" …. Who’s taste? It also changes depending on what you’ve eaten. I rewrite important recipes to salt by mass. Getting the salt level wrong can really mess something up.

Comment

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike -- I didn't know that, I thought they were equal proportions. But then, I'm just happy I learned 'mise en place'. 👍

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right, but how much of the total MP do you use?

That’s another one, "a cup of carrots". Are they diced? What size dice?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      It is very useful to have such reference material close to hand, an, hopefully I'll commit it to what's left of my Memory...

Now, what would be th proper inclusion of liquid (water, stock, broth, etc.), and salt?

I jus cover stuff, some an salt to taste lol

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
    also. "Salt to taste" …. Who’s taste?
    On menus: "Cooked to perfection"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here