Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Costco today and refilled my nonexistent steak inventory and while I was there picked up some fresh catfish and shrimp. I decided to blacken the catfish and serve it with cold boiled shrimp and some okra stew from my ex lover, Patti Labelle. We’re still on good terms though and she keeps me supplied with her frozen okra stew. Dipped my shrimp in some of my homemade cocktail sauce, heavy on the horseradish.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 6, 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard she's got a new attitude.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      JCGrill 😂. Seriously though, people, if you haven’t tried her okra stew...get you some now! It’s excellent. It’s only sold at Walmart in the frozen food aisle. It’s better than anything I’ve tried at home. You won’t be disappointed.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      HEY!! I remember you now, you're the...the.. blankety blank that stole my Patti from me!

My wife’s birthday was yesterday and we ordered in because of the hectic work day she had. So last night I asked, what can I make for your dinner tomorrow - being the taco loving family we are......she smiles and says skirt steak and chimichurri! Ha! So who am I to deny Taco Tuesday on Saturday for a wonderful birthday dinner!

I recently made a Crowd Cow purchase - used about 1.25lbs of skirt for these, and my son is picking up on things. He asked where the skirt steak came from because it had different flavor and better texture. This pack was great - and was butchered well, nothing but the meat on this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8234F4D-F90A-4B79-92D3-DA4245FD83DD.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	985899

Name:	BC38CF46-2AF1-43A2-8D1D-EB99A9D32F13.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	985900

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a proper celebration meal.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Man she tee’d that one up for you. That was yours to screw up. Man I need a taco now.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      They look yummy!

Red Beans and Rice kit from back home. The beans were soaked for a few hours before cooking and then simmered a little over two hours with the included seasoning packet and my own pork sausage. I didn't use the little bit of popcorn rice that was in the bag, I have my own rice. They both taste the same, the popcorn stuff just gives a popcorn-like aroma during cooking, hence the name.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210206_201854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	767.4 KB ID:	985914Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210206_195526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	793.7 KB ID:	985913

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Surprisingly low sodium too.

So I was wandering through the store and saw this 3lb chuck

Name:	IMG_0575.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	985917

Nicely marbled, it called my name... so I dry brined it for 36 hours and seasoned it with coarse black pepper.

Midway through the cook, added a bit more wood to the coals:

Name:	IMG_0576.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	985918

And after it hit 170 (I was going for sliceable:

Name:	IMG_0578.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	985919

Looked good... tasted good:

Name:	IMG_0579.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	985920

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard to resist a chuckie that looks like that! I check the chuck roasts every time I’m at the grocery store and pick up any that look like that.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Red Man - this was over at Central Market in N Seattle... lots of nice stuff

Tom Brady has his night-before-a-game ritual...we have ours. And man does it involve a lot of prep work on pork 🐷
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it Atomic Buffalo T*rds?

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn It’s ok to spell out turds.

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn I believe we have a winner!

Flank steak, board sauce, air fryer potatoes.

Name:	C2918363-5F64-4F40-ABB1-BB37936A3C37.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	985945Click image for larger version

Name:	B424C7F3-B46B-4D19-A58E-34A9A85F3CEF.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	985946

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Board sauce, board sauce, board sauce!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      that flank looks incredible!

Grilled a couple of rib eyes (one bone-in, one boneless) on the Buckaroo over a live oak fire. Also grilled brocolli and served with sauteed oyster and enoki mushrooms.

Name:	PXL_20210207_024916022.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	986002

Name:	PXL_20210207_030601696.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	986003

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White I'd like to say it took hours... But it was pure coincidence.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I was being smarty pants. I could make that work. Im not sure anyone’s normal dinner plates really accommodates those steaks with ease. Paul Bunions perhaps. Some salmon and rice fit real well I bet.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey Paul Bunions? Is he that big guy with painful feet?
      (Bunyon). I’m being a smart ass.

Hot and Fast brisket on the PBC and 2-2-1 Ribs on the Grilla OG!
    Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d eat that!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that was a fast cook, Baltimorelger! Approximately how thick was the flat?

Kathryn

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      I am afraid I didn't measure it! It wasn't super thick (maybe 3 fingers?)

Some Pan Seared New York Strip Seasoned with Espelette Pepper...Lobster Risotto made with homemade Lobster Stock..It was darn good..

Name:	IMG_5487.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	986126

Comment

A little hash for breakfast with some various leftover smoked meat.

Name:	20210207_091139.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	986178

Comment

Cooked these bad boys last week, and everyone wants these again for the Big Game
        Attached Files

Comment

• Old_Bikes
          Old_Bikes commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look great! Not surprised they would be in demand.

I grew up in a rural winegrape growing region in Northern California. There are a lot of Italian families there and my best friends growing up, and to this day, is one of those families. Many Italian families feature ravioli with their Christmastime meals and the Lucchettis are no exception. When we were kids it was always a fun day when family and friends would gather to make literally hundreds, if not thousands, of homemade ravioli. There is nothing like them!

Fast forward to last December when one of the now-adult grandchildren purchased her great grandma's house that hosted so many of those memorable ravioli making parties. I casually mentioned that to Kendall one day and that was all it took for her to get the ball rolling with her mom and grandma! She got the whole family together and we spent the day making "Grandma Annie's Homemade Ravioli", drinking bloody Marys and celebrating a lifetime of friendship, memories, and love.

Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to share that family recipe for it's not my place to do so, but it did inspire my wife and I to try our hand at lobster ravioli. I gleaned this recipe from the net: Lobster Ravioli | Just A Pinch Recipes and tweaked it to our tastes. I also grabbed this recipe for the peppercorn sauce for the filets: Beef Tenderloin Steak With Peppercorn Cream. We used Annie's basic dough recipe for the ravioli, but that is a pretty standard recipe. This was a very easy cook and I will say it might be one of the best things to come out of our kitchen. It was as rich and decadent as anything you could get in a restaurant. The biggest challenge was timing, especially with the 2 sauces, but it all came together nicely.

We are taking an RV trip to Coos Bay with some of our Lucchetti clan next month and this will be our meal to share with them as a thank you for sharing their family recipe with us.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lobrav.1.jpg Views:	23 Size:	412.1 KB ID:	986227
        Click image for larger version  Name:	lobrav.2.jpg Views:	22 Size:	312.5 KB ID:	986228
        Click image for larger version  Name:	lobrav.3.jpg Views:	22 Size:	388.8 KB ID:	986229

​
        ​
        ​
        Last edited by CaptainMike; February 7, 2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn He’s not deaf. No need for all the sign language. 😂
          Last edited by Panhead John; February 7, 2021, 04:13 PM.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent work my friend. Coos Bay. I used to stop at the Sizzler in Coos bay 2-4 times per year. It’s been a long while though.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey we really like the Coos Bay area. Part tourist town, mostly working town. Lots of great little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and great "coasting".
          Last edited by CaptainMike; February 8, 2021, 01:19 PM.

Made this the other night: Toad in a Hole served with onion gravy. A British dish of sausages cooked in Yorkshire pudding. I used a bit much pudding batter, the sausages are supposed to be visible. I used my Serrano and Cheddar Venison sausage. I'm Texan born and raised but mom was from New England. I grew up on roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and gravy, I like it almost better than mashed potatoes and gravy.

Based on this recipe from former royal chef Darren McGrady: https://youtu.be/az6wAd6RIZ8

Name:	toad1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	986222

Name:	toad2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	986221

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with Yorkshire's served with roast beef.
          Wife makes Yorkies here all the time

Time to fry.

Name:	3EFA6754-9755-4AC8-A9BB-7AC53B454F2C.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	986318Click image for larger version

Name:	9571E5C9-A8FD-43DF-A026-8BAED74DA112.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	986319

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! What is in the empanadas?

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks....really.....good!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Shazam!!

I posted this on the super bowl thread, but at the end of the day, we probably will not watch the game. We did have a starter for today with the main course on its way shortly. This is a smoked queso dip.
        Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I am rummaging through the cheese drawer to see if I can pull this off today! Looks mighty fine!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here