Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troutman's Texas Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troutman's Texas Red

Before I was the Troutman and just a wet behind the ears lad of 25, I moved to the great State of Texas not knowing what to expect. After coming here, there were two things I was quickly indoctrinated into; barbecue and chili (well Lone Star beer if you want to count that too).

If asked, I’m sure most folks would say that brisket is the national dish of Texas, but believe it or not its chili. In the days before I came down here, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo had as one of its events in the parking lot of the Astro Dome, a chili cook off in response to the popular Terlingua Chili Cook-off begun in 1967.

Terlingua Chili Cook-off

TERLINGUA (1967) In the late 1960s, with Texan LBJ in the office the President, anything Texan, including Chili, became a fascination with America. So it was when Dallas Morning News writer Frank X Tolbert and Holiday magazine writer H Allen Smith went toe to toe as to who knew more about Chili.

In August of 1967, the Chili war of words began to go three-alarm. It was decided to settle the only way grown men can, with a chili cookoff. Terlingua was chosen as the location, and judges were selected. Wick Fowler was selected to represent Texas, against Smith and his so called (by Tolbert) vegetable stew.

Then at high noon, October 21, 1967, the moment of truth arrived. Judge Hallie Stillwell voted for the Smith and judge Floyd Schneider voted for Fowler. It was all up to the final judge, Dave Witts. But when Witts took his first taste, he immediately went into gastric distress claiming he had been poisoned.

When he recovered, he claimed that his taste buds had been permanently damages and he could no longer judge. Referee Frank X Tolbert declared there to be no winner in Terlingua's first ever World's Championship Chili Cookoff.

Despite the popularity of the "chili wars", in 1974 Houston’s event officially became known as The Houston Rodeo BBQ Cook-off, one of the largest barbecue cook off events in the nation. However, it continued to be called the Chili Cook-off well into the ’80s long after it had become a huge barbecue event.

Like barbecue, most Texans will agree to disagree about how best to make their State dish. Generally speaking, (although not universally so), beans are not allowed, that much most of us can agree to. Other than that it’s a two-hour argument over what goes into the best pots of chili.

So now that the weather has turned chilly, it’s time to make a good pot of chili. I was inspired by a recent post on IG of a big old pot of the stuff by the guys up at Meat Church in Waxahachie, Texas. They posted their recipe on their website and the first thing I thought was they had raided my recipe box. Like them, mine is simple and straight to the point. Meat and some form of tomato sauce and spices, period (unless of course you also count adding that Lone Star beer !!).

Anyway, most of you have made it, it’s not difficult. I thought I’d share my simple recipe and encourage you all to do the same. I did this pot full over the holidays and the family gobbled it up so I guess it was pretty good.

So let’s make a pot of Texas Red!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Texas Red Chili 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.13 MB ID:	947840

Texas Style Chili

Course. Lunch or Dinner. Main Dish. Beef.
    Cuisine. American (Mexican influence).
    Makes. 4 to 6 servings
    Takes. 45 minutes prep and 5-6 hours cooking

Ingredients

2-pounds chopped chili or stew meat (I sourced wagyu sirloin)
    1-pound lean 90/10 ground beef (Again I sourced wagyu from Mishima Reserve)
    1-pound Italian sausage – hot
    1-large white onion chopped – reserve a portion for garnish
    1-whole garlic head finely chopped
    1-jalapeno pepper with seeds (optional) finely chopped
    1-7 ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped

1-28 ounce can Muir Glen crushed tomatoes
    1-14 ounce can Muir Glen chopped tomatoes
    1-14 ounce can Muir Glen tomato sauce

1/2-cup chicken stock
    1-bottle beer (preferably a good IPA)

2-tablespoons chili powder
    1-tablespoon cumin powder
    2-teaspoons cayenne pepper (adjust to desired heat level)
    1-teaspoon ancho chili powder
    1-tablespoon of Tony Chacheres seasoning

For Garnish:
    Reserved chopped white onions
    Mexican shredded cheese

Click image for larger version  Name:	Texas Red Chili 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.57 MB ID:	947839

Directions

Brown the meat in a large pan (preferably cast iron) to establish flavor and color. Season the meat with the Tony C’s. Drain the liquid and fat. Add to a large, minimum 5-quart cast iron pot. In the same pan add some cooking oil and sweat the onions, garlic and chilies until soft and translucent. Add and combine with the browned meat in the pot.

Add the cans of tomatoes, chicken stock and beer to the pot. Season the chili with the remaining seasonings adjusting the heat level to taste. Simmer on the stovetop until all ingredients are combined bringing to a low boil.

Fire up your smoker (optional) and arrange it for two zone cooking. Add a couple of chunks of apple, cherry, pecan or other fruit wood to the coals to smolder at 300*. Place your CI pot of chili on the cool side uncovered. Allow the smoke to kiss the chili for about 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Cover and place back on the stovetop on a low simmer for an additional 4-5 hours. Don't rush it, chili needs time to meld the flavors and fully render the chunky meat.

Serve

In bowls, garnishing with Mexican cheese and the chopped white onions. Serve with crusty bread or crackers and ice cold beer!!

Although not officially barbecue, its history will forever tie it to the best of Texas cuisine !! Now show me yours, let's have a AR Chili Cook-off !! Troutman is out, gotta get me a bowl of Texas Red !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Texas Red Chili 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	947838
    Last edited by Troutman; March 18, 2021, 07:45 AM.

Thank you. It looks delicious.

Comment

I'm making this this weekend!

Comment

Oh, boy. Just wait tilPanhead John finishes his Xbox game and crawls out of his moms basement...

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 - I know this is an old post, but I have a small Asteroids story. Back in 1980, when I was studying for the NY bar exam, at night when I was burned out from studying, my then wife and a couple of friends would go to our then favorite watering hole for a few beers and some Asteroids to unwind. I played a lot, but was never better than mediocre. Anyway, for the bat exam, they split me and my classmates up and scattered us to the 4 corners of NYC to take the test. After the second (last)
          Last edited by Dewesq55; October 2, 2021, 11:10 AM.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cont'd - day, we all meet up at a bar in Greenwich Village to commiserate, bemoan all of our certain failures, and kill a substantial number of brain cells. It turned out they had an Asteroids machine there. As soon as it was my turn I put my quarter in and started playing. Well, I'll tell you, my synapses were firing so hard and my focus was so hyper sharp my from 2 days of testing that I immediately racked up double my previously best score ever. I decided to quit while I was ahead and went
          Last edited by Dewesq55; October 2, 2021, 11:09 AM.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cont'd - back to killing brain cells. I never played Asteroids again and have never forgotten that one game.

Green growth on the cheese on the chili. The older I get the less I can take the heat.
        If I were in Texas I would order a Lone Star Cerveza, since I am not, PBR--American Larger is just fine.

Comment

Looks fantastic Troutman I have to ask, the wagyu isn’t too "delicate" for such a long cook? Maybe I am just used to wagyu being for fast and hot sears.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was going to ask a similar question, Troutman, I don't have access to Wagyu and my wife is the chili queen in the house. We typically use my smoked beef plus hamburger. Does the Wagyu add something?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 Not really, no appreciable difference. It’s just gone mainstay in my area (albeit a little more expensive), I just as I said, prefer the better fat content.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            I would never use A5 in anything except a seared slice as a taster. At my old job, we carried a wagyu straight outta Texas. I understand there are some ranchers that have cross bred their animals with wagyu. I used to call that wagyu a "gateway drug" to A5.

Yum Yum. Hope to try later this week.

I moved to Texas 2 months after turning 26, then went to the store and bought some of that 2-Alarm Chili.

Comment

That looks spectacular. On the list for sure.

Comment

"2-pounds chopped chili or stew meat (I sourced wagyu sirloin)"

Bite me.

That looks fabulous and I'm looking for soup/stew recipes. Thanks!

PS: "1-pound lean 90/10 ground beef (Again I sourced wagyu from Mishima Reserve)"

Again... Bit... oh never mind.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                30 years ago I was starting to do some estimating at work. I asked my boss for a calculator, he was an old school engineer. He handed me a slide rule!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea someone get a new roll of paper for Panhead John 's 10 key adder and I'll lend him a fresh ribbon for his typewriter

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                If I had my druthers Troutman I’d rather have some new film packs for my Polaroid.

What, no beans? In our household it's not chili without beans.....

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                I likes beans, too.

• Alabama Smoke
                Alabama Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, here in Alabama we usually do beans as well. I usually mix chili beans, red beans and sometimes pintos as well. I do love Lone Star Beer, but its usually not available here. Shiner Bock is pretty darn good with chili also (and made in Texas).

• ddmcwhirter
                ddmcwhirter commented
                Editing a comment
                Two bowls...one with Troutman's chili and one of pinto beans with ham hocks...they'll fight each other unless you separate with large cuts of buttered corn bread.

My wife made up a pot of chili last night (pretty standard chili with beans and the like) and I mentioned I need to make a good pot of Texas Red again some day. Looks like I just found the next recipe to try!

Comment

A most spectacular tutorial, Brother. I've made me some stabs at TX Red, over th decades, which I'll include here, fer posterity's sake....I'll be makin this soon, minus th Alfa Five wagyu
                Though I'll be back down there shortly, sadly, I am not a Native Texan.

Did live there, an cook there Professionally long enough to consider myself an Acolyte of TX Cookin...
                Here's a Quickie Weeknight TX Red I made: Cheatin every inch of th way, btw!
                https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-ne-texas-red

Nuther night, made this here:
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 30, 2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oak Smoke Well I was not born here, but as they say "I got here as fast as I could" !! I've been here 45 years, I think that qualifies me automatically since I've called this home longer than most Texans have been alive

• T-bone
                  T-bone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I married a Native Texan 34 years ago in Texas so my wife said I qualify as a Naturalized Texan. Good enough for me...I'll take it.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just read where HP is moving their headquarters from San Jose to Houston. Seems like the big guns in Cali are jumping ship !! Hell, it's about to get crowded down here, ya'll come on down soon, plenty of room !!

Great write up and history lesson. I'm still developing my ideal Texas chili. This week I'll be trying to make my own chili powder blend.

The main reason I don't like beans in chili is because I can make great beans as a stand alone dish and serve it along side the chili or BBQ that I'm eating.
                Last edited by 58limited; November 30, 2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

That is a post worthy of Texas chili.

Comment

Check it out, $7.20/#, better meat, monounsaturated fat content, sold everyday in my local HEB.....so there you doubting Thomases....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACCCE839-2318-4D8B-BC50-4E5401CE7546.jpeg
Views:	1251
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	947945

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Never once doubted yer veracity, or integrity, Brother! ; I'm jus a tightarse!

Ground Angus Chuck, an Odom's Tennessee Pride spicy breakfast sausage works out jus fine, fer me
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 1, 2020, 08:12 PM. Reason: missspelled Odom's :-o

• rickgregory
                      rickgregory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "sold everyday in my local HEB"

(weeps bitter tears of jealousy)

Although I can get SRF ground beef. Waaaiit a second...

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't tried the wagyu ground beef. Our local HEB has it, same price as their grass fed ground beef.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here