Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steakhouse with extended family Saturday -- hope it looks as good as Pit Boss's product, but I suspect it won't! -- and smoking chicken breasts on Sunday.

Comment

Did 3 Frenched racks of lamb tonight on the grill. Two with a standard French treatment (Dijon, herbs & breadcrumbs) & 1 without breadcrumbs for my Atkins diet (Dijon, garlic, rosemary & olive oil). Tomorrow I'm doing a pork shoulder roast, starting the brine on a pastrami & figuring out what to do with some flap steak I bought (my understanding is hot & fast). Gotta get some good cooking in this weekend, next week is the road trip to take a step-daughter to college down in Florida.

Comment

Looks like a Tri Tip weekend, since a pair of them appeared on the counter a few hours ago. I think it was a BIG hint.

Comment

• dprice
          dprice commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, I never see tri tips here in Baton Rouge. I'm jealous!

I'm going though PBC withdrawal, haven't cooked in awhile. Going to go to Costco soon to see if I can get a 5 lb flat to cook while I listen to the GB game this afternoon.

Comment

I've been brining a Turkey for 24 hrs and will smoke it tonight. I'll post some pics. Smoked turkey sandwiches are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by neile57 View Post
            I've been brining a Turkey for 24 hrs and will smoke it tonight. I'll post some pics. Smoked turkey sandwiches are awesome!

Did I hear pics? We want pics!

Comment

• dprice
              dprice commented
              Editing a comment
              I was right about the steakhouse not living up to your steaks. And that's at $46 for a cowboy ribeye, a la carte! It wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth the freight! Oh well.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              dprice I appreciate the kind words. The DW and I are on the road a lot and eat steak in many places, such as Meathead's favorite steakhouse in Chicago David Burke's Primehouse. Restaurants are great for a meal with friends, but the steaks you get there just can't compare to a steak you've lovingly prepped all day with salt then reverse seared for an hour. Meathead has set a standard we can achieve at home that can't be matched at a steakhouse. Gotta love it!

A chicken, in my PBC, following the video on the website, using the PBC all purpose rub. Still getting used to the new cooker.

Comment

I've got my 5 lb flat brining away in the fridge, which will eventually turn into a Close to Katz's Pastrami. Hopefully I'll remember to do photos along the way at the desalination, rubbing, smoking and steaming stages. Last one I did - first via MH's instructions - was New Year's Eve and was spot on. Sometimes I think we should call MH's instructions "BBQ for Dummies," it's that easy to follow.

Comment

Made my first Tri Tip on the PBC. Turned out awesome! Dry brined for about 20 hours and added BBBR about an hour before the cook. Used half of it for fajitas tonight and will use the leftovers for lunch. Also threw on 2 chickens and used the PBC all purpose rub.

Comment

• Timkatt
                  Timkatt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did tri tip for my first PBC cook, I didn't get nearly the crust yours seems to have. How long and what temp did it cook at?

• Matt Knight
                  Matt Knight commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, I failed to add that I did a quick sear on the Weber Genesis. I took it out of the PBC at internal temp of 125. It took about 40 minutes. And the temps hung around 290-300. I finished it at 137 internal temp. The wife doesn't like it too red.

Nice job. that looks GOOD!

Comment

Sunday's cook. Bought three bone-in, skin on chicken breasts, removed the skin and dry brined the breasts per the blessed Blonder formula of 1/2 teaspoon of kosher per pound, individually plastic wrapped and put in the fridge overnight. The skins went into the fridge in their own bag.

Started the charcoal, pulled out the skin and cut it into pieces. Instead of smoking up a cookie sheet, I arranged the pieces on the flat side of a couple of Grill Grates, and put them on with a little wood when the cooker got up to around 325. Narration continued with the pics.

Used very little wood -- about 4 ounces of pecan, for each of the two cooks.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Vey cool on the grill grate!

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lookin good!

Originally posted by Matt Knight View Post
                  Made my first Tri Tip on the PBC. Turned out awesome! Dry brined for about 20 hours and added BBBR about an hour before the cook. Used half of it for fajitas tonight and will use the leftovers for lunch. Also threw on 2 chickens and used the PBC all purpose rub.

NICE!

Comment

Well with 30 racks of Baby Backs coming on Saturday I'm thinkin its time to start consuming those.

Comment

I'm thinking it's time to do the Chicken Mojo Criollo recipe from the "Low & Slow" Wiviott book again. The family really likes that marinade and I haven't made it in a couple of years.

From 2012:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mojochicken_13q.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	11815

Comment

Originally posted by IrondeQuer View Post
                        I'm thinking it's time to do the Chicken Mojo Criollo recipe from the "Low & Slow" Wiviott book again. The family really likes that marinade and I haven't made it in a couple of years.

From 2012:

[ATTACH]n11815[/ATTACH]

WOW!!!

tonight I'm cooking some ribeyes my butcher was proud of and had marked down for clearance. They're "rancher" grade which means not quite as good as Angus, but he seemed to think they'd be good and I figured heck for that price I may as well try it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here