Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catalina36 View Post

If I had unsalted butter I would have taken you up on the recommendation. As it turned out, one was perfect and the other could have benefitted from the butter injection but wasn't bad. In any case, there were no leftovers which is a pretty good sign that everyone enjoyed it.
    I'm glad it worked out! Truss me though, the butter will really take it up a notch. Next turkey cook!

Comment

Did some chicken wings in the PBC. Pics to follow.

Comment

I have 4 briskets to cook Saturday. Will cook Friday afternoon if we have to work Sat., but almost 100% sure we will be working next Sat. and not this one. Course, in a chicken plant, no such thing as a 100%, ever.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Those chickens are fickle animals. Just can't never trust 'em....

Doin' a 6 lb butt for Sunday football!!! Which brings me to my next question... timing. Anyone who has cooked a butt of this size please let me hear about how long it took. I'm cooking on a Mak at 225. My guesstimate right now for cook time is about 14 hours? I'm gonna start the night before, but as we all have probably experienced the last thing I want is to cut it close. Any suggestions?

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I generally figure an hour and a half per pound, but I wrap at anywhere from 150 - 160 without waiting for the stall. I using a COS and usually keep the temp between 225 and 250.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a lot of variables at play, and many of us will give you different answers, btu someone is bound to be right. It's like asking how long it takes to drive to Florida...

I would guess 10 hrs. You may get it in 6 or 8, it may take 12. Always rest a pork butt, wrapped, in a faux cambro for 2-4 hrs to soften it after it hits your target temp. If it's done early there will be NO harm in resting it a long time until dinner. Just leave a probe in it and don't let it get below 150 or so. If it tries to, place it in your oven to bring it back up to 160-180ish to pull and serve. My two cents.

Ribs today, and who knows what will catch my eye at the store on Saturday. My wife spotted the ribs on sale for $2.56/lb yesterday so she got some for today.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Good price, nice score!

One time maybe a month ago I caught spares @ 1.99. I wasn't in the mood for ribs but who can pass up "cheap" ribs? Spur of the moment rib dinner.

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Aron, vacuum sealer.... They were made for meat sales and walleye fishing... just sayin
          (not a typo just going with the Jrod, Aron theme, hehehehe)
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 5, 2014, 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by boftx View Post
        Ribs today, ... My wife spotted the ribs on sale for $2.56/lb yesterday so she got some for today.
        Cant beat that with a stick.

I got the call for burgers.

Comment

It's my weekend, so:

Tonight, another Santa Maria tri tip-style beef round roast, 2.7lb. Dry brined 5hrs. Rubbed with a little corn oil and BBBR rub applied.

I chose to copy Marauderer and stick it in the freezer (except in my case only an hour or so before putting on the smoker).
          Currently both meat probes reading 32*. Pit temp 210 and climbing. Charcoal and oak staves, approx 5 staves @ 3"x4".

I'd post pics but it's essentially the same as I posted last week so I'm eliminating redundancy.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Tonight's cut wasn't nearly as good as last week's. Tough ol' cow tonight I guess. Looked great, just tougher.

For any of you trying this, if it's tough, try again!

Yea I figure I can keep it in the oven covered at 170 until kickoff

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree.

Tonight I split a porterhouse steak with my mother-in-law. DW is on a trip and MiL is here watching the kids. Served with brussel sprouts and fingerling potatoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4774.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	15778

Name:	IMG_4780.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	15776

Name:	IMG_4775.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	15775

Name:	IMG_4789.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	15777

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lucky MiL you have!

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Frickin' showoff.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Flaunt it if you got it! lol

Do I cover the meat with foil after I salt it for a 24 dry brine???

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Nope Steve, steer clear of foiling while wet or dry brining. Foil will react with the salt. You can wrap it in plastic wrap or place it in a tupperware type container if you have one big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Cover with foil? huh? No

I have a Mak 2 Star. I would start a 6 lb butt around 11 PM the night before if I want to eat at 5 PM. I cook it unfoiled until it hits 203F and then put it in a faux cambro to rest for whatever time is left. I really don't care if it rests 30 minutes or 3 hours... It tastes awesome right off the grill. Use this recipe verbatim: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...lled_pork.html

Comment

I did some grilled fish tacos last night. Tilapia filets in a marinade/wet rub of olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, lime juice & cilantro. With a lime-cilantro cole slaw/sauce: cabbage, sour cream, mayo, lime zest, lime juice & cliantro. First time I've done this and they were so good. (Have to say I'm really enjoying my Weber and cooking over coal instead of my gas grill.)

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                  I did some grilled fish tacos last night. Tilapia filets in a marinade/wet rub of olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, lime juice & cilantro. With a lime-cilantro cole slaw/sauce: cabbage, sour cream, mayo, lime zest, lime juice & cliantro. First time I've done this and they were so good. (Have to say I'm really enjoying my Weber and cooking over coal instead of my gas grill.)
                  Burn, would you mind sharing your recipe in the Seafood section? Much appreciated!
                  Fish tacos are one of my favorites. I never make them though. Not sure why... oh yeah I can't catch any fish all I do is ride in the boat and drink beer and get sunburned....

Comment

• The Burn
                    The Burn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's going to have to wait until I do it again. I was working off 2 different recipes, one of which was incomplete, and I was making rough extrapolations (1 was for 3/4 lb of fish, 1 was for 1 lb of fish & I had 3 1/2 lbs).

As for the catching, other than a deep sea fishing trip about 10 years, which truly was only about the beer & the sunburn, I haven't been fishing since I was a teenager and that was on the bayou in Louisiana. I am not a morning person...

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotcha, no probs. Thought maybe you had a secret you were holding onto.... which is ok too.

Look forward to it if you get it compiled!

I tried out my new RecTec yesterday and did two racks of St. Louis Ribs. I coated with HRR and left in fridge for 48 hrs, then froze on sheet pans. Put the frozen Rib directly on the RecTec set at 225*F

Name:	DSCF5961-M.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	15909

six hours later I took them off using the bark method to see they were done.

Name:	DSCF5966-M.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	15910

TOWMBO said they were excellent even though the HRR was a bit spicy to her.

Name:	DSCF5967-M.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	15911

Comment

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I may cut the cayenne in half and up the black pepper. The wife also suggested some garlic so we will see what develops. Huskee your rub is excellent and anything said is just being nit picking and personalizing for anothers taste.

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They had a very faint smokey flavor. Next time I will try the smoker tube and see it that helps. Hopefully next weekend.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    100% agree, no worries at all. That's why there's twelve million types of coffee, everyone's tastes are a personal thing Thank you for the nice words.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here