Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    I do... It is the greatest steak ever invented! If that steak were a girl I'd ask it to marry me.

If I'm off base here please advise.

EDIT:

So much so that I'm going to BREAK my beef boycott and go get my some ribeye tomorrow and GRILL IT! Salt and fire....
    No, you are not off base. I totally agree about it being the best of all steaks! You do know that Costco carries Prime Ribeye. They will not cut steaks to order but will cut the Ribeye roast to order and when you get home you can cut it to your favorite thickness. How do I know?? If you can't figure it out I am not telling you!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
      I loooove prime rib and the best steak I've ever eaten was a bone-in ribeye at Del Frisco's in Las Vegas - several years in a row on Super Bowl weekend.

I've been waiting on having time and watching a few more YouTube videos to get up some confidence before buying a whole ribeye from Costco and breaking it down - price is down to $7.89/lb (for Choice) and they're about 16-18 lbs. Maybe next weekend.
      And the Costco Choice is excellent. TB, that is the way to do it. I always get however many ribs there are bone in steaks. The spacing of the bones mean there will be a few bone out steaks also. I like mine to be 1.5" Awesome!!!

Comment

Well Costco is a long way from me... its sad that my little town don't have one...

But I know of a gas station close buy that sells Ribeye roast. I may just head over there in the am

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          sad part is it's the truth. hehehehehe

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          You are kinda out in the country up at the camp aren't you Jon. I know in the country the gas station is really a country store and I have stopped being surprised at what they have in those places. I remember one in Meadows of Dan, VA that had awesome steaks from a local farmer and they were inexpensive to.

When we were living out in Palmdale, CA we found a little butcher shop that had Prime ribeye. I paid dearly but maybe twice a month was ribeye for supper.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
          When we were living out in Palmdale, CA we found a little butcher shop that had Prime ribeye. I paid dearly but maybe twice a month was ribeye for supper.

Huskee definitely knows this, because he gives me grief for it all the time, but at the Pit Boss Manor we have ribeye pretty much every Friday night. If not ribeye, it's some other steak. Friday night steak night!

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

Huskee definitely knows this, because he gives me grief for it all the time, but at the Pit Boss Manor we have ribeye pretty much every Friday night. If not ribeye, it's some other steak. Friday night steak night!
            Palmdale was in 08-09 time frame and i had the same health issues then meaning I have to limit my red meat intake. Darn it!! When i was younger it was a steak a week. Proud of you Dave for picking up the ball and running with it.

Comment

...I heard my name and came running..... Ribeyes have long been my favorite too. Snake River Farms sells eye of ribeye, Wagyu. ($$$) Wow, can you imagine eating that? No fat band in the middle just pure eye goodness.

I haven't had a steak in a long time. PIT BOSS HAS though!~

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                ...I heard my name and came running..... Ribeyes have long been my favorite too. Snake River Farms sells eye of ribeye, Wagyu. ($$$) Wow, can you imagine eating that? No fat band in the middle just pure eye goodness.

I haven't had a steak in a long time. PIT BOSS HAS though!~
                I think that band of fat helps give the ribeye its unique flavor and it just wouldn't be a ribeye without it. That is just my not so humble assessment (after eating hundreds of pounds of steaks over multiple decades) of ribeye steaks.

Comment

Fat is flavor…but I'm a teacher so Wagu is a rarity. But I have enjoyed it's silky smooth tenderness and flavor. Ribeye, pound for pound is the best steak there is bar none. I like taking the left over bones and making it into demi glaceay or highly condensed beef broth. It actually becomes a gelatin after you cook it down long enough. Great in stews!

Comment

My pit is coming up to temperature for pork butt. I am hovering and watching the stokerlog software, fascinated by the updates and that I can see the fan is running and temp is coming up. Went to the wholesale club yesterday so I am going to also try a practice turkey tomorrow. I'll probably do a couple of them before thanksgiving so I know exactly what I am getting into.

-Alden

Comment

Originally posted by AldenMiller View Post
                      My pit is coming up to temperature for pork butt. I am hovering and watching the stokerlog software, fascinated by the updates and that I can see the fan is running and temp is coming up. Went to the wholesale club yesterday so I am going to also try a practice turkey tomorrow. I'll probably do a couple of them before thanksgiving so I know exactly what I am getting into.

-Alden
                      I am interested in your turkey. From rub to your cooking technique.

Comment

• AldenMiller
                        AldenMiller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You will be disappointed in my prep and smoking. No rub and 225 until it's done. I have been cooking chickens that way and really like the flavor. We'll see how it goes with the turkey, that's why it's called practice. -Alden

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                      I am interested in your turkey. From rub to your cooking technique.
                      Indeed, and it would be good to see the recipe info posted in this sub channel.

Comment

I think I understand and know what it feels like to love RIBEYE......... By only problem is I like buying the thick cuts and my wife is the "well done" kind and I'm medium rare. Waste of money.

Comment

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you gentlemen!

• The Burn
                          The Burn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Making my mouth water thinking about the ribeye I'm going to buy. Ernest - are those the Craycort cast iron grates you've got there? How do you like them? I was thinking about getting a set, maybe with a griddle insert.

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          TB, I love those grates, I use the frame on Big worm

Got the griddle inserts as well

Just cooked Meathead's "Sweet Georgia's Brown Smoked Yard Bird" using chicken quarters. I smoked the meat on the Hasty Bake at 325F (give or take) using Hasty Bake lump charcoal and pecan wood chunks. Served with black beans and fried polenta smothered in a tomato and olive ragout. Meal was gosh darn amazin! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4920.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	23290
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4924.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	23292

Comment

Pit Boss, this one's for you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	23299

Comment

• David Parrish
                            David Parrish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Awwww shucks. Thanks Huskee!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here