Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday - Smoking 3 Slabs of Spares
    Saturday - Reverse Searing some thick Strip Steaks
    Sunday - Gilling Bone in Pork Chops

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good weekend right there.

Just returned from Costco and am recovering from meat "sticker shock." Prices increase weekly, etc. HOWEVER, finally (and I mean FINALLY) saw the chart for the reduced prices when buying a CASE of ribs, steak, etc. Very nice discount for large purchase. (Example: 40-50 lbs. of baby back ribs: $.65/lb. savings.) Gonna have several friends and family share a large quantity at the lower prices.

Comment

Have a rack of ribs on now and a brisket going on tomorrow AM. Going to be a fun weekend!

Comment

I just nailed a tri tip. Good start to the weekend!

Comment

I’m doing a Surf-n-Turf dinner for my mother. She's having hip replacement surgery Monday. Course 1 Starting with a caprese salad and a smoked Caesar salad with scratch made dressing. Course 2 Asian marinated cedar smoked salmon and herb butter glazed smoked cod. Course 3 Three 2 1/2" thick ribeyes reverse seared with grill roasted potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by bslogsdon View Post
            I’m doing a Surf-n-Turf dinner for my mother. She's having hip replacement surgery Monday. Course 1 Starting with a caprese salad and a smoked Caesar salad with scratch made dressing. Course 2 Asian marinated cedar smoked salmon and herb butter glazed smoked cod. Course 3 Three 2 1/2" thick ribeyes reverse seared with grill roasted potatoes.

You've got a lucky Mom! Surgery sucks, but after a month or two it'll seem like a distant memory (hopefully) and she'll feel much better.

Comment

Niiice! I'd skip the plank and toss that salmon filet either right on the racks or on some paper and do them lwo & slow until 140 IT. 2 1/2" thick steaks rock. I made some pHs that thick.

Comment

I'm going to smoke my FIRST pork butt this weekend - wish me luck!

It's 5.97lb, gonna start the weber around 6:00am, hope to eat pulled pork for dinner by 6 or 7 pm. :-)

I hope to keep the kettle temp between 225 and 250.

Butt is in the fridge, just salted with kosher salt a few minutes ago. I'm going to go with MeatHead's "Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe". I'm going to apply the rub before I go to bed.

Weather is going to be rainy tomorrow, so I will probably be fighting temp.

Fuel will be either Kingsford blue bag or Royal Oak with hickory chunks.

Any Tips?

Comment

Originally posted by wjHunter View Post
                  I'm going to smoke my FIRST pork butt this weekend - wish me luck!

It's 5.97lb, gonna start the weber around 6:00am, hope to eat pulled pork for dinner by 6 or 7 pm. :-)

I hope to keep the kettle temp between 225 and 250.

Butt is in the fridge, just salted with kosher salt a few minutes ago. I'm going to go with MeatHead's "Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe". I'm going to apply the rub before I go to bed.

Weather is going to be rainy tomorrow, so I will probably be fighting temp.

Fuel will be either Kingsford blue bag or Royal Oak with hickory chunks.

Any Tips?

Let her go at 225F for a few hours. Once she hits the stall, which could happen as early as 150F but probably closer to 160F, check the clock. If you have less than 5 hours till your meal, CRANK UP THE HEAT to 275F. This isn't textbook per the recipe but it will make sure you eat pork for dinner and not a midnight snack. Keep us posted tomorrow on how things are going. Start a thread in the "Recipes and Techniques" channel under pork.

Comment

Sorry for the terrible pics, I'm not much of a photographer. My menu got amended last night because apparently we had already drank the Malbec and eaten the sweet potatoes, but we had some deeeelicous Italian wine and roasted broccoli. Before and after the sear I hit it with rendered beef fat I had simmered rosemary sage and garlic in. My sear wasn't as deep as I would have preferred because of flareups over the hot coals, I had to keep shifting it off to let the flames die down, which overcooked it a bit. Overall though, an amazing steak. Any tips for dealing with flareups? Get grill grates? I've thought about just setting my cast iron skillet over the hot zone and using that forthe sear. Anyway, here are pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	2541 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	2542 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	2539 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2540 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2544
                    Attached Files

Comment

• charchamp
                      charchamp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      terrible pics, huh; you cant have a steak like that and wine and call it a bad pic.

That's a good looking steak FlavorSavor. What was the internal temp of the meat when you took it off the low and slow? What was your final internal temp?

Comment

Thanks. I took off low and slow at 215, grill temp was 230. The final sear temp was about 238, 240. I wanted it lower but I was trying to get a nice sear while having to pull off of the flames. Temp on the hot side was about 475.

Comment

As it turns out, I'm doing a pork loin roast today, and my step-son is doing bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks tomorrow. I'm going pretty simple, whereas he like to marinade with Italian dressing. My turn on chicken will come later in the week or next weekend.

Comment

This is how it's done folks. 2" Angus 1.84 lb Ribeye reverse seared. Low and slow on the Mak 2 Star till it hit 115F then seared on the Hasty Bake until it was mid 120s. It was close to a 2 hour cook but SO worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4469.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	2858

Name:	IMG_4479.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2861

Name:	IMG_4486.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2862
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Do I see a ribeye reverse seared, caprese salad, and wine? 3 of my personal favorite things! The only thing I fault you for is a white wine instead of a cabernet or at least merlot

• boftx
                            boftx commented
                            Editing a comment
                            At least give him some points for serving spinach.

• David Parrish
                            David Parrish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The DW is a very big fan of white wine. It it were up to me I'd have cracked open a bottle of White Rock Cabernet Sauvignon.=)

Alright folks what's on tap (for cookin and imbibing) this weekend? Tell us what you'll be making now, then come back after the cook with bragging pics. Then, if you have time, post all the details of your cook in the Recipes channel.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here