Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, I am thinking about next weekend already. I have 3 racks of SLC's and 3 Lion backs in my freezer callin my name. I'm planning on scouting for my nephew and my deer hunt coming up. With my 15 year nephew staying with me I figured we can look fo deer, cut more wood for the smokers and have him learn his way around the smoker. I'm going to have him do the whole cook from start to finish. Gonna let him pick his rack that he wants and we are going to use Huskee's Rib Rub on them. I will do play by play on his cook next weekend.
    Last edited by Tally; August 10, 2014, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget to trim the skirt off the ribs so you got something to munch on halfway through the cook!

• Tally
      Tally commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that should ruin that kid for good. Between the skirt and the ribs he will probably be asking his Mom for a smoker for Christmas.

Cooked a tri tip, choice grade and a prime grade beef tenderloin medallion that I picked up from a local grocer today who incredibly is carrying prime grade cuts of beef. Nailed the prime cut and the tri tip to 130ish degrees, and ohhh myy gawd the prime cut was like butter compared to the tri tip. I know its a different cut of meat but I searched through the entire stock of tri tip on hand to find the most marbled cut they had. The prime grade tenderloin cut just blew it away!

Comment

Next weekend should be crazy for me... 'Helping' with Ribs and Chicken for 100+ people - my daughter's wedding. My brother-in-law who is a competition BBQer will be the pitmaster for this one. I undoubtedly will have pics to share!

Comment

My second whole packer is going on this weekend. Dry brining, Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub and hickory. Last time I used just S&P. Can't wait to see the difference it makes!

Comment

Family is playing lawn darts while I cook chicken.

Comment

I had the pleasure of taking my brand new Mak on her maiden voyage yesterday. I cooked baby backs (yea i know... I didn't have a lot of time). Next cook I'm definitely loading her up with a butt and some SPARE ribs. Set it and forget it, the Mak was worth every dime I spent on it. Everything went smooth and the ribs turned out perfect... Dreamer.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Great color, that right there is real Q

Way to go Steve. Congratulations. I LOVE me some baby backs.
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 16, 2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

What do you mean 'yeah i know'? Baby backs rock! If anyone gives you guff tell 'em where go. I cook mostly thick baby backs. Congrats on the new machine! Nothing like the thrill of a new smoker!

Comment

Thanks guys! Baby backs are great I would agree. In some people's minds they take a backseat to spare ribs, especially in competition. Plus I found this quote funny... "There is an old joke among some competition cooks about how to tell if the ribs are ready. Take one slab of spareribs and one slab of baby back ribs and put them both in the smoker. When the baby backs are dry, the spareribs are done."

Comment

Those ribs look beautiful. That pic of your Mak... Is smoke coming out of your pellet drawer? That shouldn't be happening.

Comment

Baby backs on Sunday.

Comment

Tri-tip on Saturday, chicken thighs tonight.

Comment

Big ole thick ribeye tonight. No idea what I'm doing tomorrow.

Comment

Tomorrow, 3 racks of baby backs and some chicken thighs for Dad's birthday.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                            Jon Solberg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            HAPPY B DAY DAD!

• Bill P
                            Bill P commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, Jon. Ribs, and the garden railroad in action always make Dad happy.

Here's tonight's cook... Angus Ribeye (1.4 lbs), Brussel Sprouts, and Fingerling Potatoes. In the first pic the steak is low and slow cooking on the Mak 2 Star at 225F while the B&B coals heat up in the PBC. The coals will go into the Hasty Bake once they're hot to do the sear. I took the steak off the Mak when it hit 115F then seared the steak on the HB for 4 minutes flipping every minute. It was at 127F when I took it off the heat. The veggies cooked on the Akorn at 450F for 30 minutes. The steak tasted like reversed sear heaven. Pics! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	10430
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4675.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	10426

Name:	IMG_4677.JPG
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	10427

Name:	IMG_4682.JPG
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	10429

Name:	IMG_4683.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	10428

Huskee should start grumbling about being at work any minute now

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I can't believe I missed this. Here's my grumble....

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here