Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster stew- The secret ingredient is an extra pint of oysters!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8518.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1177925

Name:	IMG_8532.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1177924

Name:	IMG_8540.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1177926

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      +3

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman and holehogg Panhead John -Thanks fellows! This is my wife's favorite soup and a treat for us. I break tradition and cook it with some greens. I tell everybody it's seaweed but its not 😂

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic!

2.8 pound Tomahawk Ribeye purchased at the Beef Palace in Huntington Beach. Kosher salt brine, olive oil and Meathead's beef rub. 225F for 70 minutes at 225 pit on a Yoder YS480 pellet smoker until we hit 115F. 90 second gas grill sear per side. Spread straight butter on top. The wife says I need to make this again instead of going out to a nice restaurant
    Attached Files

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG

I did Chili Colorado last night. My preference is for traditional Texas chili, but I really, really like this. It is very similar, except Chili Colorado isn't trying to be spicy, but still have lots of flavor from the dried chiles used (I used a combination of dried hatch, ancho, and pasilla).

I also fully intended to smoke the chuck roast on my PBC, but the day got away from me and I ended up smoking it on my Chimp. This was an interesting experiment. As expected, the bark development was far less, less smoke ring, and less smoke flavor overall. Also interesting was that the surface of the chuck roast was far drier than when I do it in the PBC, which makes sense given the convection nature of a pellet grill. It was good for me to get a better handle on what I am "giving up" from the convenience of the pellet grill -- which, to be clear, I would much rather use than my oven!

Chuck roast after about an hour. I let it smoke for two hours at 225 F. Seasoned with just salt and pepper. Got to an internal temp of about 110 F. I let it cool for a bit, then cubed up for the chili.

Name:	IMG-5382.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1177958

Everyone in the pot! Beef, chiles, cumin, Mexican oregano, San Marzano tomatoes, onion, garlic, and beef broth. Simmer for 2.5 hours. (Meat got gorgeously tender at 2.5 hours.)

Name:	IMG-5383.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1177957

Cornbread out of a mix. A "Texas-style" brand that I had never used before. It was curiously more white than yellow. Very, very fluffy, though, almost like a cake. And, no, I have no idea why I didn't think to use cast iron here. (One benefit of a pellet grill is the instant-on time. I hadn't originally intended to use it to cook the cornbread, but then I thought, why not?

Name:	IMG-5385.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1177955

Everything all plated up and garnished. So, good.

Name:	IMG-5388.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1177956
    ​

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks really good!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent Michael….Good job!

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook! Thanks for sharing the PBC / Chimp comparison.

Trying a new recipe. Any guesses?

Hint: Several Pit members probably got the recipe in their inbox the other day. Not pictured is baking powder and baking soda.

Answer Below

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbellyfritters1.jpg Views:	6 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	1178042

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbellyfritters2.jpg Views:	6 Size:	5.25 MB ID:	1178043

OK, so this is a recipe that ThermoWorks sent out: Smoked Pork Belly Corn Fritters. Please don't tell my cardiologist...

https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/sm...elly-fritters/

The pork belly tastes great by itself but battering and deep frying took it to another level. I added some Hatch chilies to the batter. Smoked on the SnS Kamado.

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbellyfritters3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.77 MB ID:	1178129
    Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbellyfritters4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.80 MB ID:	1178128
    Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbellyfritters5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.72 MB ID:	1178127
    Last edited by 58limited; February 20, 2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Red Man it is good! Pork Fat Rules, and frying it is even better!
      Last edited by 58limited; February 20, 2022, 04:40 PM.

• Chris Williamson
      Chris Williamson commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll keep your secret. Unique and looks fantastic.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Those chunks look a little too tasty!

Nashville hot chicken
    Attached Files

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Pickles and fries look a good bit spicy too! One day, hopefully, Hatie B's for me, but meantime, can you suggest a recipe close to or as good as yours looks?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      DTro Prince's is so much better than Hatti B's

Today I made chick thighs following kenrobin YouTube video, and pulled Canada goose breast. I smoked them for a few hours then wrapped with just a little ACV & apple juice to braise. I got worried because they were tough at 200°, but finally tender another hour or more. Probed @ 210° ish More on the chicken later
    Attached Files

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      As someone who lives on a lake with a lot of Canadian geese around, I encourage all members to eat more goose!

• Mike-Sid
      Mike-Sid commented
      Editing a comment
      One goose I shot this year has a pellet from a pellet gun under his skin on his back side. The geese can make a mess on a yard or beach.

Here’s what for dinner and lunch for the rest of the week. Asparagus, tomatoes caprese, boudin, chicken, burgers and a tomahawk. A complex cook due to different cooking styles, temperatures and timing but nothing the Hasty Bake cannot handle. Gotta love the versatility of Hasty Bake.
    Attached Files

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. What a spread!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is beautiful

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, good thing I’m not there. Ther’d be no lunches.

I tossed a small chuck roast on the Recteq early this morning. Only 2.75 pounds. Dry brined it overnight with Meatheads red meat rub. Smoked it for four hours at 240 to an IT of 155. Then pulled it to a pan with beef broth and covered tightly with foil. Into the kitchen oven at 300 to an IT of 205. Then I just turned the oven off and let it rest. Great smokey flavor and smoke ring and the rub was perfect. Click image for larger version

Name:	93A05475-0033-4B56-BB90-0FF79FA1A0A6.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1178162 But it wasn’t as tender as I hoped. A little chewy in fact. I guess it needed more braising time? It was my first smoked whole chuckie and I learned a few things I guess.

Anyway I only have a photo from when I put it on the cooker. I got a bit flustered at service and forgot to take more pics. Sorry.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I won’t pull beef till it probes the way I want it to. You hear the "room temperature butter" comparison a lot. Point being 205 may not have been enough for this particular hunk of meat. How long was the rest?
      I know it’s more $ per pound but I really like smoking chucks. More uniform shape and it’s not a huge investment, at least relative to a whole packer. Nice work and here’s to improving on the next one!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Andrr The rest was 3 hours. IT was still 140 at service. It probed like butter in the parts I tested. The finished product was tender in spots, not in others.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 Well it sounds like you checked all the boxes!

KC style ribs and smoked green beans with wild hog ham.
    Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I also move to a wire rack over sheet pan at the 300° stage and move to top of cabinet as the heat pools there, think a smoke broiler, the pan protects the bottom from burning since heat comes from below.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect little bone handles stickin out of those ribs... very nice! And those green beans - I'd love those!

• Chris Williamson
      Editing a comment
      Boy oh boy, those are some great looking green beans (and the ribs look mighty good as well).

When the rascals ask for chik fil a on a Sunday...... Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220219_205014620~2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1178182

Comment

• painter
      painter commented
      Editing a comment
      Like The Rascals sang, "Groovin on a Sunday Afternoon"

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks darn good Ernest

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      You've got some spoiled rascals! Food looks good.

Name:	268C2D50-E998-485B-9D69-A3D9E3AC90E3.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1178197 Click image for larger version

Name:	301DFB9D-6BB5-48F1-9238-4F9BBCDA64E6.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1178196 Click image for larger version

Name:	103FB9BC-1A96-4CD1-AC6D-34D20F36FE9B.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1178195

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Steak looks perfect, and we love the plate with the balance! Who got to eat the baby?

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, it's been way too long since I had King Cake.

• Chris Williamson
      Editing a comment
      Happy Mardi Gras season!!

This was an experiment, but it turned out phenomenal! I give you Smoked Texas Gulf Shrimp!

I took some Texas Gulf Shrimp, arranged them in a dish, seasoned them with Old Bay, and poured an entire stick of melted salted butter mixed with three minced garlic cloves over them. I then laid on two rosemary stalks and splashed some lemon juice in. Into the Chimp it went for 20 minutes at 275 F. (Looking for a shrimp temp of about 125 F.)

Incredibly good. The shrimp were done perfectly. The garlic-butter-lemon, kissed with rosemary and a hint of wood smoke was divine. Served with steamed broccoli with some extra sauce spooned on top.

Here's everything in the bath.

Name:	IMG-5389.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1178216

Ready to come off the Chimp. This dish is ready in less time that it takes for me to get my charcoal smokers up and running!

Name:	IMG-5390.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1178214

Plated.

Name:	IMG-5391.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1178215

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmm... those shrimp look delicious!

• Chris Williamson
      Editing a comment
      Wow, looks restaurant quality. I can't wait to try this myself and use the shrimp to top some redfish or perhaps a steak.

Yesterday afternoon I spent at least 30 minutes just separating it and then cleaning all the silver skin and extra fat from this baby wondering if it was really going to be worth it. It was.
    Attached Files

Comment

Been on a leftover binge. Got to get rid of some stuff. I could eat a good couple of weeks of leftovers, I won't.
      Tonight did Poor Mans Burnt Ends and Beef Country Style Ribs. Combined in pan with some grape seed oil. Drizzled on Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. Did a twice baked pbakeo.
      ​
      Last edited by RichieB; February 20, 2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

First cook on my new Pitts and Spitts pellet cooker. The fam chose ribs and wings. One rack with MMD and the other orange soy glaze. The wings were lemon pepper and classic Buffalo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E2B334CF-9A8E-4559-B5F2-A08AC7B6D61C.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	1178243 Click image for larger version  Name:	67168949-1FC2-49D4-A401-7323632DF409.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	4.89 MB ID:	1178244 ​ ​​​​​​​
        Last edited by KarchyBBQ; February 20, 2022, 08:28 PM. Reason: Typo plus added detail

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t believe you cooked all that great lookin food on that rig, nope, don’t believe it. 🕶

• KarchyBBQ
          KarchyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan with lots o room to spare!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here