Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpatchCock

No post last night, we went out for my Birthday

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2413.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	1189106

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1189105

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy Birthday!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy belated

Finally had a chance to bust out the PBC for some baby back ribs. Did 3 racks plus some pit snacks (the random trimming/weird bone pieces).
    Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      You reminded me that ribs are one sale at my local store....need to pick some up for my PBC! It is spring break after all!!

Here is something that I kinda threw together and it turned out pretty good: chicken flautas. I took some shredded white meat (our local grocery store gets this from the in-store cooked rotisserie chickens that don't sell that day), mixed in some salsa verde, some minced chipotle chiles, and some shredded Mexican cheese.

I then rolled the mixture into some flour tortillas and smoked in the pellet grill at 425 F for 20 minutes.

This turned out tasty, especially for as little effort that was involved.

I will make two tweaks for next time.....first, I will use a smaller flour tortilla. I could only find these huge burrito size ones (what I get for shopping late on a Sunday). They were too big (and 200 calories each!). (I really wanted HEB's made-in-store tortillas, but their machine was broken today.)

Next, I let them go just a bit too long. They didn't burn, but the bottoms got a little overly crispy. (Filling was fine.) I pulled them at 25 minutes instead of my desired 20 as I was fighting to get the lid off the jar of queso so I could heat it up in the grill. Oops.

I think I will make this again. I also may see if they have shredded dark meat as well.

Here they are all plated up. You can see where it got a bit too brown on the ends. Also, each of these flautas are a tortilla cut in half. They were that big!

Name:	IMG-5449.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1189173

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Are they fried too, or just baked/smoked? Just curious, since I thought a flauta was basically a fried burrito type object... Looks good either way!

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris They are just baked/smoked. I learned this when I was prepping this dish....a flauta is such as thing made out of a tortilla (usually flour) with a filling and is baked; a taquito is a thing made out of a tortilla (usually corn) with a filling and fried. Apparently there is indeed a distinction!

Grilled Shrimp and Cast Iron seared Scallops with Chimichurri Sauce! Delicious!

Marinated large fresh NC shrimp and 16/20 dry sea scallops using Al Frugoni’s Chimichurri Dry Rub Mix for 30 minutes. Preheated a Cast Iron pan then seared scallops for about 5/6 min and grilled shrimp for about 4 min.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking shrimps 👍

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mods, can I somehow LIKE this again?

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome!

Name:	image_169455.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1189210

Lamb sirloins from Aldi, sugar snap peas, roasted fingerlings.

Name:	image_169454.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1189209 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_169453.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1189208

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lamb is looking good! I don't think I've seen lamb sirloin anytime recently. N

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Love lamb

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh, I'll take that! Nice simple plating. Good balance, and the lamb looks luscious.

Some pizza!

I'm working up a batch of pizza dough using tips from Richard Chrz . I'm using his method except for this batch I'm using up 250 grams of Caputo 00 Pizza flour and mixing it with 750 grams of Caputo 00 Chef's flour. When all is said and done, I'll try to make the pizzas in my Ooni Koda 16 gas fired pizza oven, rather than in my

Name:	20220302_175957.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1189244 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220228_192303.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1189245 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220227_193141.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1189246 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220228_192026.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1189247

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin' very good.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn I agree with you! The pie with pineapple is my wife's. No way I would do that!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Very appropriate early on Pi day...

An early St. Patrick's Day dinner, Guinness Pie. This was freaking amazing. Since trotters are hard to find here, I went with the cheddar option. This takes some time to put together and cook but this was so awesome! Highly recommended!
    https://web.archive.org/web/20220311...7-guinness-pie

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220313_170500.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1189260
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220313_170648.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	1189259
    Last edited by pkadare; March 14, 2022, 01:14 AM.

Comment

These four criminals were convicted of felonies so I had to "hang 'em" high this weekend !!

Name:	asado chicken 01.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	1189298
      Asado de Pollo Ahumado

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Innocent until proven delicious!

Or something like that...

Well, I've not cooked in over a week, and for some reason, I just really felt compelled to stay inside in the warmth and break in my new wok a little more yesterday. Sooo.... we have my take on:

- Boneless korean Fried chicken (bite sized morsels of thigh meat)
      - Teriyaki chicken - just stir fried and tossed with a little teriyaki sauce
      - Veggie stir fry (onion, garlic, ginger, zucchini and portobello mushrooms)
      - Rice

First - rather than deep fry, I did shallow fry of batches of the Korean chicken in a little oil in the bottom of the wok. All I had on hand was avocado oil and olive oil, and I couldn't fill up a dutch oven or the deep fryer... so about 1/2" of avocado oil did the trick, and I just made sure to turn and toss the chicken after the crust set.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8122.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	1189349

Finished product. That gochujang based sauce on the breaded chicken was to die for... I drizzled some Yum yum sauce and Hoisin sauce on the rest of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8132.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	1189348
      Last edited by jfmorris; March 14, 2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I would absolutely eat every bit of that.

Flank steak and snow peas.

Name:	uIIrlL0XoSMNJFukhP1V7dEoOnSHcXhs5vCQTUDyrTa65jjsBy6lR9j_Xb2M-l7OwihzKcWXtyR0zyTSc7apmpbRkn4qm_eSDCIPTaIOS6HpVQteoA-CPb_H-y5reastJouaAXzI2dmjKc_gQLfbgKAvF6CT_d06E6yWLNL6YUmVC--rp9ixWg7e_ndOPN9xNKLWxQq0cndywcMuYE4XmiKkRkPAIDQAOqCEx7DPhRS49MejZlCBgn2oOgPC6_o
Views:	233
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1189353

Comment

Deboned a leg of pork and cubed. Dry brine for 3 hours then 2 day tocino marinade.
        Indirect then grilled.

Name:	IMG20220314154858.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	1189396

Name:	IMG20220314175138.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1189397

Name:	IMG20220314180607.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	1189398

Name:	IMG20220314181605.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1189399

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim White I was wondering the same thing. A squash bowl?

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim White and SheilaAnn it's a South African thing that I don't ascribe to and honestly get's my goat. Why I did it, have no idea. Could say not enough room on the plate, but ... 🤦

Sunday's Brunch- Poached eggs over cheese and bacon on an english muffin, cremini mushrooms stuffed with cheese, breadcrumbs, and spices. Dipped 'till I dropped.

Name:	IMG_8841-Edit.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	1189471

Comment

Cherrywood on my kettle today. Smoked a flourless torte

Name:	66A29DD7-0CC6-46B3-B658-8070892DAC6D.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1189483

Name:	783F0611-CAF7-4160-AEDF-DEB924C84618.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1189484

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I so want to smoke/bake something like that on the grill one of these days... I've not taken my outdoor baking beyond pizza and no-knead bread in a dutch oven (which did not pick up smoke of course). I bet this was fabulous!

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoaaaa!

Cod in a tinfoil pack and butter on the coals, then shrimp on the grate over the tinfoil pack. Feels so good to be cooking all meals back on the cookers again!

Click image for larger version  Name:	A18E0DC7-10E7-4D15-B5E1-818A198F6084.jpeg Views:	11 Size:	362.2 KB ID:	1189551
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; March 14, 2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks fantastic. Learned to cook like that in boyscouts!

• Caffeine88
            Caffeine88 commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter So did I, but we ate venison burger and taters from the garden, not shrimp and cod!

That does look good!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Same, maybe the occasional squirrel or rabbit! Sweet taters, carrots, and onions too. Just made me think back to weeks in camp on lake Murvall.

Texas Red and cornbread
          Attached Files

Comment

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice bowl of chili and bread!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here