Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Ribeye filet, tag team effort by McNapper and Rhodey. Rhodey was sporting inverted GrillGrates for the sear.
    Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of ribeye filet, looks great!

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      @smokernoob Snake River Farms sells them. It was a way to try their American Wagyu without selling another child to afford it.

Did a quick za'atar chicken. This was a bottled spice mix labeled "spicy". It's not as good as what I get at my local Lebanese falafel spot, but I was out of theirs and forgot that I didn't have any. Chicken was cooked in the oven because my Kamado is already set up for an overnight brisket cook for another #BBQDriveBy tomorrow.

The side salad is inspired by Yasmin Khan's Salad Shirazi, but I took liberties. It has no red onion and I subbed parsley for the mint. I also added a serrano pepper and some cilantro, so it's more like her Bandar Salad. I also added some feta. Definitely like these flavors and will use the onion and mint next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-11 19.35.44.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1030369

Comment

More like, "Show us what yer reheating" tonight: Leftovers!!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here tonight. Looks good.

Not worthy of a picture. Boxed Organic Mac & Cheese and a chunk of baguette actually pretty dang good. A good part of the day laying mulch so that's all I could muster up. Took out leftover Leg O' Lamb for tommorow.

Comment

Halal cart chicken with Tumeric rice and parsley tabouleh.

Name:	A98C9854-F273-4E59-972A-37854ED1CA27_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1030433

Name:	8E2489E8-F41E-4B84-BDA5-38E0B1167475_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1030434

Name:	84C2C210-CAB0-4A16-9A83-4E064CA3C356_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	1030435

This might actually be better on GriddleBot than cooking the chicken on a grill. I'm also digging on the Chinese cleaver. Pretty sure I'm going to end up getting a better one, but for $18 I like this Winco just fine.

Comment

I planned on making grilled chix tacos tonight, but only had burrito sized tortillas, so I made tacorritos.

Name:	20210511_180721[1].jpg
Views:	345
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1030452

Name:	20210511_181616[1].jpg
Views:	329
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1030453

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! At my house, the catch-all dish is "tachodilla". It’s some form of Tex-mex-Latin influenced protein with what ever salsa and cheese and whatever form of tortilla is in-house at the moment (chips, flour tortilla, corn tortilla, etc). Always served with homemade guacamole.

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! We did exactly the same thing, with the same size tortillas. Same-ers!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I can work with that ;-)

Sunday night was rib roast night. With a baked potato, and mushrooms and onions.

Name:	20210509_192307.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1030455

Name:	20210509_192849.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1030456

Name:	20210509_193435.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1030457

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Stylin'! Looks good!!

Fish Tacos, cooked the fish on the griddle.

Name:	20210502_194843.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1030459

Comment

My sister included some lamb with the pig this year. Lamb, kalamata tapenade, tomato-feta salad, and rosemary potatoes.

Name:	Resizer_16207934226090.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1030477

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            That plate looks delicious! What cut of lamb? It looks salty and crusty and perfect!
            (Can meat 'look' salty? Is that a thing? Translation: I can taste that lamb by just looking at your photo.)
            Last edited by Dr. Pepper; May 12, 2021, 09:05 AM.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper it was a lamb chop. I also have a lamb shoulder and it will be the first one I've cooked. I'm going to have to figure out when to bust that out and what to serve with it.

Personal first: Cured 2 pork sides, one wet cured per MeatHead, one dry cured per Ruhlman. This is the wet cured, with maple syrup. Was delicious. Had the family over (11 of us, from 2 ½ to me, 11 days shy of 70.) BLTs. Well, actually BLTAs, as there is avocado hiding under there somewhere.

(I smoked the dry cured pork side today, will slice that tomorrow. Each side weighed approx 6 lbs pre-cure, and about 4.5 lbs after smoking.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7246.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	462.6 KB ID:	1030479Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7252.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	657.2 KB ID:	1030480
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7280.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	904.4 KB ID:	1030486
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7317.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	441.1 KB ID:	1030481

What could possibly go wrong with an electric slicer, a boning knife, and red wine?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7329.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	461.0 KB ID:	1030483Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7319.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	442.4 KB ID:	1030482Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7341.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	630.0 KB ID:	1030485

The bacon is not burned, but I think the maple syrup sugars blackens quickly.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7342.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	520.2 KB ID:	1030484
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; May 11, 2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Tomaron The bacon you see in these photos, using the recipe/calculator/tips from MeatHead and Dr. Blonder and the SNS recipe, was smoked in a Weber kettle, with cherry (or pear?) chunks over lump. I used the SNS with the water reservoir, ran at 250 F to 150 internal. The dry brined pork side (which required 7 days in the bag) I rinsed yesterday and smoked in my KBQ, with cherry, also 250 to IT of 150-160.

We use amazigribs.com recipe for curing and smoking maple bacon here to show you just how easy it is!
            Last edited by Dr. Pepper; May 12, 2021, 12:20 PM.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            If I could I'd like that twice

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the same issue. Any of my cures with sugar gets awfully dark.

I am having my first go at reverse searing Tri-tip this weekend (if the weather holds up).

Name:	PXL_20210508_210348006.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1030496
          My friend got a few of them special order from a butcher at a Garden Center (I haven't asked my butcher if he can do them for me yet). I'm planning on smoking it to about 110 and then throwing it over the fire to sear the outside and get it up to the target temp. The cut seems great because I like my meat to still be moo-ing while most of my friends will prefer more towards medium so I am hoping I can have the widest part and serve the narrower bit to the friends who likes their steak less rare.
          The weather better be alright because I am really looking forward to it!
          Any advice, tips and tricks etc. greatly appreciated.

Comment

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            My only advice is to not over-do the seasoning, just season with salt and black pepper. You are going to have a great meal!

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            excellent! watch the grain when you cut it, TT have a tricky grain and cut to 90 degrees for awesome texture

• Tomaron
            Tomaron commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. I think my little one will be having some so I definitely will avoid over-seasoning/salting.
            Yeah, the slicing against the grain is what I think I might struggle with. I was going to watch some videos if I can find any.

I made 3 racks of baby backs. My father in law brought them pre-rubbed and cut up (found it weird to cut them up but okay!). They came off amazing, thanks to the fact I changed up my charcoal lighting method on the BGE and got it dialed in right at 225 for the whole cook.

the whole family was pleased, my father in law called them competition grade. Even the mother in law was crushing them… Happy Mother’s Day Click image for larger version

Name:	38CF14B3-75C5-42B1-AB61-E67CE251DFFD.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	1030537

Comment

PK Grillin' and Chillin'

Well, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, and I'm off for the weekend (bank holiday, only worked Mon-Wed this week) so why not celebrate with some easy-going grilling? Said and done, fired up my trusted PK TX. Gotta love that little grill!

I tried a new charcoal, locally produced up north in Sweden, called Birchotan. It's a play with words on the Japanese Binchotan, this one is made of...you guessed it...Birch! It's expensive as heroin, but by golly, that was the purest charcoal I've used in a long time. Got it glowing in record time, squeaky clean, no odd flavors, and a ton of heat. I was given a bag, but might just purchase a box next time. It was that good.

Name:	Birchotan.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1030676
            Do you see the Birch bark pattern on the charcoal right there? Cool!

Name:	IMG_9137.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1030677

Hot hot hot!

Name:	IMG_9138.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	1030681

So, I purchased some flap meat (one of my fave cuts of beef) last week, "Johan Jureskog selection" (a famous chef in Sweden). It's from milk cows at least 3 years old. I had some broccolini and egg plants together with some bearnaise sauce. That pretty much makes a dinner if you ask me :-)

Getting the grill started, spread out the charcoal after I had a good glowing coal bed

Name:	IMG_9139.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1030680

I cut the egg plant in three lengthwise, trying to make each slice equally thick. Soaked them in liberal amounts of EVOO, then I direct grilled everything on the PK. It took max 10 minutes, and then dinner was served. So simple, so tasty!!

Name:	IMG_9140.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1030679

Name:	IMG_9141.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1030678

I think this was the simplest and quickest dinner I've done on the grill in a long while, but definitely not the last. Top notch flavors and a red wine to boot. Alright folks, I'm gonna spread out in the sofa, y'all enjoy your evenings!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 ^

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, that’s what I’m afraid of…

• Tomaron
              Tomaron commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice looking food. If its expensive in Sweden I am assuming it won't even be available over here in the UK. Maybe that's a good thing!

Got some fresh basil and oregano from a friend. Made up some pasta with a Italian sausage cream sauce.

Name:	Cream Sauce with Sausage.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1030788

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	01FCC393-A7C8-4513-B49F-9D36812942D6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.50 MB ID:	1030794Click image for larger version  Name:	92141937-D0D3-469F-B135-7286DE00441C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	1030793Click image for larger version  Name:	04E55C3F-FDD5-4685-85C2-8C8C7C30EB17.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1030792

Scallops and shrimp. Weber with a little Old Bay and peach smoke.

Last edited by HawkerXP; May 12, 2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here