Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork ribs, pulled chuckie, Santa Maria pinquito beans, and a couple beef back ribs for a lunchtime snack. I used B&B char logs with B&B briquettes in the SnS. Held 225-250 for ten hours cook time and now it’s at 350 for a couple hours because I opened up the vents to burn everything off. Probably could’ve held temp for at least 14 hours without refueling with this set up!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	45ED03AB-1C61-420F-89D5-D9178AEEFED6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	1026366Click image for larger version  Name:	FED51771-21F9-4A53-AC1D-0907F0819C72.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.80 MB ID:	1026365Click image for larger version  Name:	58993BEB-9D45-4119-B6E3-3D87C71A57C3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.61 MB ID:	1026368Click image for larger version  Name:	BB834D65-ECEF-4ACF-A254-BC2E20C5F6E2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.71 MB ID:	1026367Click image for larger version  Name:	EC9588AD-CC1E-4E83-9A28-C4786845CE01.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	1026364Click image for larger version  Name:	2AD1CE2B-15BB-4EA5-AEA9-000D75D5319B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.96 MB ID:	1026363Click image for larger version  Name:	D8AD19D7-A682-478C-86B0-5AE73E0EA70F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	1026362
    Last edited by Red Man; May 2, 2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Well played Red Man

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice meat, nice set up.

Rib eye night on the SnS kamado. Just salt and pepper.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210502_193004.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	1026412Click image for larger version

Name:	20210502_193222.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	1026413Click image for larger version

Name:	20210502_193300.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	1026414

Comment

Finally got to barbacue something the other day. Made it simple with a couple of chickens, and overall they came out pretty good.
      Started with the basics.

Name:	OneofTwobirds.jpg.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1026422
      Buterflyed, seasoned, and placed in my smoker. And you're seeing my new SmokeX4 being used for the very first time

Name:	TimetoCook.jpg.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1026423
      Looking good right out of the smoker!

Name:	HotofftheGrill.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1026424
      And after a suitable rest (had to clean up), time to eat.

Name:	Dinnerisserved.jpg.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1026425

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! You got some really crispy skin on that chicken! Looks great!

• DesertRaider
        DesertRaider commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Actually, not as crispy as I wanted. They started partially frozen, so took longer, which made the skin a little tough, but chewable. Thanks though, and it was good

Triple bacon cheese

Name:	Resizer_16200075057830.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	1026438

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Mouthwatering!

• IdSmokeThat
        IdSmokeThat commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks ridiculously good. Homemade buns on that monster?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        IdSmokeThat They were store bought "Pub Style Buns" and I didn't love them but they were okay. Either me or my girlfriend really need to start making our own buns. Usually I make a double instead of a triple and then I split it with her. But I had an extra portion ready to go. Who was I to argue with fate?

Started smoking meat for the first time last summer. I learned a lot over the season. I made the best ribs I have ever had this spring! It took some practice but it was worth it!
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, after an unprecedented weekend of barely checking the Internet, including Amazing Ribs (sad but true!), I have time to post my weekend cooks. I also didn't have my phone in my pocket much, so have limited photos.

We had my 23 year old daughter and her husband and the 3 month old granddaughter spend the night with us Thursday and Friday, as they had their second Moderna vaccine on Thursday morning. They both were a little under the weather, and by staying here in her old bedroom, Gigi (Yvonne) and Grandpa (me, Jim) could help with the baby. Since we were almost 2 weeks out from our second vaccine, she is now letting us hold the baby without a mask!

Saturday morning I made breakfast, which was just bacon and eggs on the flat top. I tossed the eggs down in the bacon grease, which makes for some great fried eggs, but about that same moment I noticed that I totally forgot to install the grease cup, and I had a nice puddle of bacon grease on my freshly pressure washed concrete! So no more breakfast photos beyond the bacon cooking....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5010.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.76 MB ID:	1026519

Sunday we planned a get together with our kids, their spouses, and my parents, to celebrate their 58th wedding anniversary, which is tomorrow on May 4th. I did a Cinco de Mayo themed menu, using Troutman 's Tacos al Carbon recipe! That recipe is a keeper! I tried to do the four flank steaks on the SNS Kamado, but had issues with the fire taking too long to catch. The steaks got up to about 100F over on the kanado, but were not getting any char, so I ended up tossing them over to finish them on the flat top with the veggies and tortillas over there. The meal was rounded out with a variety of sides and condiments. I didn't have time to make the tomatillo salsa, so went with store bought this time around. I apologize in advance for not taking a single photo of the sliced meat or plated food.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5011.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	1026517

I finished off the steak using Henrik 's beef rub - went well I think with the flavors from Troutman 's marinade. Veggies just got a squirt of avocado oil and some seasoned salt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5012.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	1026515

And its so easy to heat up a big mess of tortillas on the FTG900. I did a couple of batches, and stacked them up on a pan, and covered in foil.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5013.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	1026518

Last but not least, while I was in the kitchen going after seconds (maybe it was thirds!) I snapped a pic out the kitchen window of everyone hanging out having a good time, without masks, for the first time in well over a year. We've been cautious around my parents and the baby until now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5014.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	1026516
        Last edited by jfmorris; May 3, 2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I see my chair is empty

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Man you did it up right !! I love those tacos, so versatile and so delicious !! They have been my favorites for years. Gotta tell you though, you gotta make the barbacoa next. OMG they are awesome !!!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman Thanks! I hated I couldn't finish the meat over charcoal, but I was on a schedule, and it came out pretty good over on the flat top. For barbacoa - your recipe looks great, but the trick will be figuring out where to source banana leaves. That's not something I think I've ever seen in North Alabama.
          Last edited by jfmorris; May 4, 2021, 07:51 AM.

Grilled up some flank steak last night, which is a favorite. It always scratches the itch for steak when I don't feel like dropping money on a more expensive cut and the kids are being picky about their food and taking away my cooking attention span!.

I marinated it for about 2 hours (simple mixture of soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, mustard, chopped garlic and Cayenne pepper) and then cooked for about 4 minutes a side on my BGE at around 500, with the platter down near the flames (sitting on the top of the fire ring) to pick up the char.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect meat! Nicely done.

• RJW
          RJW commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fantastic - exactly how I like it! Bavette is a great substitute for flank if you are looking to mix it up next time.

One more pasta, Pasta alla Gricia, via Sasha Marx on Serious Eats. This is considered one of the four main Roman pasta dishes, originally for the poor working folks. The pork cheek used to be an inexpensive cut (not any more!).

This dish is very simple: first render lardons (¼" sticks) of guanciale until crispy and brown, then set aside. Then add lots of starchy pasta water, emulsify, and add the only barely cooked pasta noodles, and continue to stir the soupy mixture of rendered fat and starch water over heat another 8 min or so as the water/rendered guanciale fat finishes cooking the noodles & makes a silky, creamy sauce. (You cannot make this recipe with fresh pasta, nor with 5 minute tagliatelle; I used Penne rigate for this one.)

Fold in the crispy lardons, stir in some pecorino romano, and it's good to go! The grandkids love it, in spite of the slight funk of the cured pork cheeks. (I added the parsley for color.)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/11/...la-gricia.html

Oh, and then take your Lipitor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7226.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	344.9 KB ID:	1026591
        Last edited by Dr. Pepper; May 3, 2021, 12:23 PM. Reason: Clarification on pasta type, etc.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Handsome dish !!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Praise The Lard!

• ilooklikeelvis
          ilooklikeelvis commented
          Editing a comment
          That really looks awesome. I will have to find some guanciale ASAP!

Double batch of Meathead's Cowboy Candy.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          That stuff s addictive!

Name:	20210503_141752.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1026756

The local supermarket had a great deal on pork tenderloin so they have been hitting the grill and smoker for the past couple of weeks. Today they were direct grilled with Meatheads Memphis Dust. Making a pineapple mango salsa to go along with them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210503_145054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	1026754
        Just finished smoking jalapeno and Monterey Jack stuffed burgers in the pellet grill for supper and leftovers for the first half of the week.

Last edited by Whiskeyman53; May 3, 2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Siiiigh… moved to a new complex recently that DOESN’T ALLOW GRILLS. Had to give away my gasser and am looking into getting an electric Blackstone griddle, but making do with a Ninja Foodie Grill for now. Steak & egg and pork & egg! The full circle of life…. 😋
          Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            This too shall pass...

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to see you fighting the good fight. If I couldn't grill or smoke something I'd be going Postal for sure !!!

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            You moved there because why? 😜

Brekkie looks great!

Haven't had much time for grilling or posting lately because I've been so busy at work, but last night I smoked some salmon that was delicious. Asparagus on the side. Salmon was falling apart when I took it off the grill, making staging a photo a bit tough but it works
          Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Try doing them on some cooking mats, totally avoids sticking or removing your fish. Or another hack would be to place lemon or orange slices down under the fish. That's works equally as well. Regardless, love me some smoked salmon !!! Good work.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the good ideas, Troutman.

Homemade pesto, toasted pine nuts, mozarella, and prosciutto in a butterflied prime flank steak. Served with blue (purple) potatoes and steamed broccoli:

Name:	IMG-7058.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1026740

I cut the first one that way to check doneness. The better representation of the cross section:

Name:	IMG-7060.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1026742

Process:

Name:	IMG-7018.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1026741

Steak butterflied

Name:	IMG-7019.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1026747Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7021.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1026744

Kenji's recipe called for a ridiculous amount of pine nuts: 3/4 cup. I used 1/2 cup and it was still too many, in my opinion.

Name:	IMG-7022.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1026743

Name:	IMG-7028.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1026748

I could have done a better job squaring up the ends. Twine and wooden skewers are required to keep everything in place.

Name:	IMG-7032.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1026745

Name:	IMG-7039.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1026746Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7040.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1026749

The lumpy sides show that I left too much of a "hinge" when butterflying.

Here's the recipe I used from Serious Eats:

Article on the method:

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I love pinwheels. Yours seem to hold up well, mine sometimes fall apart. Nice cook !!!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look delicious, and out-of-the-ordinary! Nicely done.

1/4 lb smash burgers off the Blackstone with bacon!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd eat one of those !!!

Had a little leftover smoked chuck roast, so I made some quick pulled beef nachos.

Name:	2021-05-03 19.04.35.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1026835

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here