Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a hankerin' for a burger last night. Homemade dill pickles and Meathead's candied jalapenos included!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1014879

Comment

SWMBO has been complaining about a lack of energy, and feeling her iron levels were low. My answer? RED MEAT! So off to the store I went at 5pm for a couple of USDA choice NY strips. These were on the thinner side, so I seasoned with Hank's Signature Seasoning, got some artichokes steaming, and then just went hot and fast, flipping every 30 to 60 seconds until they were done - about medium with the thermapen. Served with steamed artichokes and a spinach based salad.

For this cook I went to the Performer, as it had a half basket of charcoal left over from Easter sitting in the SNS, so I just scooped it back into a chimney along with some fresh, and let the gas ignition do its thing, while I enjoyed a beer...

These steaks did not get the crust I would have liked, but tasted great, and were done in less than 10 minutes from the time I poured the chimney into the SNS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4858.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	1014899Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4859.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	1014900Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4862.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1014898
      Last edited by jfmorris; April 8, 2021, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking food to go with a great tasting beer.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Doctor JFMorris.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking steaks and tasty beer!

Reversed seared harissa lamb and lamb cutlets for Easter 🤤
      Attached Files

Comment

Chicken and "Dumplings". Evening hit a scheduling speed bump, so couldn’t grill like I planned. Instant Pot to the rescue. The dumplings are gnocchi. Recipe called for cream to finish, but I felt it was rich enough.

Click image for larger version  Name:	39FF0417-A656-4CD7-92A2-7F811C99606F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	259.7 KB ID:	1014949

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks real good. But come on add the cream...more is better! 😁

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          ofelles My chicken stock is so unctuous, cream is almost an insult. Don’t get me wrong, cream and butter are food groups in my house. But this dish hit the spot!

Late to post and I am a horrible photographer, but I cooked a 2 lb. pork loin roast for Easter using a modified recipe from the tested recipes. I dry brined it, and stuffed it with Pesto, pine nuts and raisins. Cooked indirect on a gas grill to temp and then served with asparagus and Sriracha Maple mashed sweet potatoes. Delicious and the pork was the most moist I have had. Wrapped up the leftover pork and 2 days later it was still moist and delicious. Thanks Meathead!
        Attached Files

Comment

Close to Katz Pastrami has been my side project this past week in the smokehouse.

Really pleased with the outcome, second or third time using the amazing ribs approach and recipie. The Pastrami rub is spot on.

If you're interested I vlogged progress on my IGTV channel (5 episodes, link below to no.1)

32 Likes, 4 Comments - Meat Monsters Smokehouse (@meat_monsters) on Instagram: "Wee side project, haven't done some in a while."

Name:	20210407_194545.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1015004

Name:	20210407_195109.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1015003

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh dayum!

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful

Spent most of my day doing things in the kitchen today. One of the results was tonight’s chili. My own version of a no bean Texas red.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06880248-A76F-4F2C-821A-A69C606FCD32.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	1015035
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 8, 2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            no bean and Texas Red is kinda redundant ...... also, looks good!

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for pointing it out... it was good.

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Ever since i discovered rancho gordo no bean chili has gone out the window. But that looks amazing.

Reverse seared Kasseler Smoked Frenched Loin Chop
          And creamy cheddar chipotle pasta🔥
          Attached Files

Comment

Quiche night!

Name:	2021-04-08 17.35.54-1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	1015053

Name:	2021-04-08 17.50.00 (2).jpg
Views:	383
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1015052

Comment

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes please!

When it gets slightly cloudy..... It's a perfect excuse for gumbo.

Name:	PXL_20210408_231714318.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	1015069

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John I'm moving out!!!!!

• PNWsmoke
              PNWsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              mee too

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t move north or you’re going to get reaaaaaaally sick of making gumbo on every cloudy day
              Last edited by Andrrr; April 8, 2021, 10:21 PM.

It was time for pastrami. Gotta have a pastrami Reuben sammie! Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar 21 Pastrami 1.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1015085Click image for larger version

Name:	March pastrami sammie.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1015086

Comment

• PNWsmoke
              PNWsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks grand
              , I just bought some rye and swiss. Already had some sauerkraut. frozen pastrami in freezer.
              For this weekend.

Deaf Arty Looks delcious. See u r from Cheyenne. My great nephew is on air meteorologist for channel 5, Aaron Lowery. He occasionally posts cooks to FB. He's in an apartment so don't what limitations he has. Give him a shout out and tell him uncle richie says hi!

Comment

Sendai style gyutan (thick cut grilled beef tongue), Japanese oxtail soup, barley rice, and steamed broccoli (pickles are traditional, not broccoli. Haven't figured out how to make them yet):

Name:	IMG-6640.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1015139

Authentic Sendai gyutan is made with American tongue:

Name:	IMG-6616.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	1015143

Peel and trim the tongue:

Name:	IMG-6618.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1015150

The back of the tongue is well marbled. That's the section we can cut thick. The front of the tongue is very lean. It need to be sliced as thin as you can get it. In regular yakiniku bbq in Japan, you can get the back part of the tongue sliced thin. The thick cut is unique to Sendai. Look at that marbling!

Name:	IMG-6620.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1015146

The thin sliced front:

Name:	IMG-6621.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1015144

Ready for the grill, only salt:

Name:	IMG-6624.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1015145

Name:	IMG-6626.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1015147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6627.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1015149Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6631.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1015142

Results:

Name:	IMG-6629.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1015141Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6634.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1015148

The thick slices have to be cut a certain way to be tender. They are delicious and beefy, but if you don't cut them correctly, they are really tough. Thin slices or the special thick cut.

Used the tip and tail of the animal, Oxtail soup:

Name:	IMG-6636.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1015140

Comment

• Joetee
                Joetee commented
                Editing a comment
                My grandma years ago fixed tongue sandwiches. It was very good. I think she just steamed it on the stove for many hours. It was too long ago to remember. But I know I really liked it.

• gboss
                gboss commented
                Editing a comment
                Andrrr, I know the mental leap about the fact that it's tongue is something that is difficult, but the tongue is just a muscle like any other cut of beef!
                SheilaAnn, thanks for the compliment! You're right that this is good eats! The tongue was ~2.2lbs pre-trim
                Joetee, the tongue is very flavorful but tough so rightfully lots of recipes either braise or steam it. I like lengua tacos just fine, but I really love the charcoal taste and the med rare Japanese preparation!
                Cheers!

• gboss
                gboss commented
                Editing a comment
                The wikipedia page has a fairly good photo of the meal set I was going for along with some more information:

Did some chicken wings tonight with some Big Moe’s Chicken Rub and some Stubbs Sweet Heat on the legs. As some of your may already know, my favorite okra stew is from my ex wife Patti Labelle. We had a great ten years together, but alas, it wasn’t to be. She’s smiling in her picture on the box, but deep down she was devastated to lose me.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                I know it’s relatively new to you but do you always use the vortex wide side up? I never tried wings that way but it looks like it crisped them up plenty.

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John you can see the pain in her eyes.....

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Andrrr Normally I do it wide side down. I thought I’d try it this way to see if it made any difference in cook time and crispiness of the skin. It made no difference for me on this cook. The vortex is great either way!
                SheilaAnn Funny! 😂
                Last edited by Panhead John; April 9, 2021, 06:05 AM.

Lamb chops .... Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub ..... direct fire on the Hasty-Bake .... 3 min per side, then 1 min per side, came off at 125F internal with a nice crust. Served with tomato, cucumber, and red onion salad. And a nice chianti ..... only thing missing was the fava beans ;-)

Henrik tried out your Beef Rub on some lamb chops .... pretty good man, pretty good!

Name:	IMG_2649.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1015177

Name:	IMG_2650.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1015175

Name:	IMG_2651.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1015174

Name:	IMG_2652.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1015176

Name:	IMG_2653.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1015173

Name:	IMG_2654.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1015172

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                I never thought about using Hanks Beef Rub on lamb. I'm glad you did, now it won't be such a flier when I try it too.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Chianti and fava beans, now that's special ;-) Thanks for testing my rub on lamb, I haven't done that combo yet, must do that next. Great cook, as always!

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik actually having Canellini beans and Chiant tonight, pretty close :-) .... Lamb is a very big flavor profile and did really well with your beef rub. willxfmr go for it. I really liked the outcome.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here