Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 28, Winter 2022 - 2023

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just fun food. Meatloaf still cooking

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      “So get over it” hahahaha

MeatLoaf, and a bunch of sides

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4465.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1357182

Comment

Butter herb crusted salmon, with lemon herb whipped mascarpone that I made.

Name:	70A8725F-6693-41F5-B9AC-1055EBD9F76B.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1357240

Name:	E6DB2058-1257-4ACA-A5F4-0FB0F37F5FBC.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1357241

Comment

• Clawbear57
      Clawbear57 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just don't know what to say anymore. I'm running out of adjectives.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz I knew it! You've tapped into the culinary spiritual realm which is why all your cooks are so ethereal looking. Well, now you're the one inspiring others and I humbly and sincerely admit I'm a disciple.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Homemade mascarpone, well why not? I bet it was a tasty add to that salmon. Beautiful job as always. You should run your own food channel.

Kathryn

A simple dinner, two thick two bone-in Duroc honey brined pork chops. Brined for 36 hours.Then Sous Vide to 135 degrees for eight hours. Reversed seared on the grill with honey and molasses blend for a glaze. Added honey and adobe seasoning from Spiceology to the glaze for a little heat. My wife claims it is the best she has ever had. :-) That's a high bar to reach for me. My lovely personal critic. I cut almost thin, Yukon potatoes and double fried in batches at 350 degrees. Got brown and puffy, but still buttery and creamy in the middle. Some steamed broccoli to round out the plating. Oh, new stone-like dinnerware from Christmas.
    Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet those pork chops were as tender as could be with a good hot tub bath like that!

• Towering Inferno
      Towering Inferno commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks all for stopping by and looking. I could have gone longer on the Sous Vide. I think two or three more hours. It was dang tasty, tender. The sides weren't to bad either. Sous Vide feels like cheating ;-)

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice cook. SV pork chops are perfect every time. Tender, juicy and so flavorful. Love the sides, too. Great job!

Kathryn

Peach habanero glazed smoked chops, collards, field peas, cornbread.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Those chops are excellent...

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      That meal fulfills all my food fantasies

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Livin' off the land in its finest form. Great meal!

Kathryn

My SNS kettle just paid for itself many times over.

Name:	EA57E0D6-B10B-4976-BD7B-D5A01AA51632.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1357300
    What we have here is a prime NY Strip steak that was SV, from frozen for 2 1/4 hours, to an IT of 133 then flash chilled. But, that’s just the beginning of this beefy saga. After the flash chill, I debagged then doused it with Kosher salt and Montreal Steak seasoning followed by a stay to 40 F in the fridge.

Next, illustrious Pit members, I fired up the SNS kettle with 1/2 chimney of fully involved Kingsford charcoal and two chunks of hickory wood. The SNS settled in at around 350 F quickly and held temp like a true champion with the main bottom vent fully closed, the bottom side vent fully open and the top vent about 1/2 open.

Name:	5F9B4A9E-0C6D-47FC-ACF0-15759191BD02.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1357301
    At an IT of 125 F, off came the strip for a brief rest while the coals got back to 350+ F for a final sear. The steak was easily the star of this show while the asparagus and tomatoes were jealous, star-crossed lovers, never garnering the attention befitting their status. My wife agreed with this empirical assessment even though she was the architect of the veggies and reduction sauce.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Great cook, and love the poetic license

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Great food, good prose--I'm loving this writeup. Beautiful job, there.

Montreal Steak seasoning can be pretty salty. I would have been tempted to leave off the additional kosher salt. Sounds like you made the right call, though. Kudos!

K.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Thank you for the kind words. I thought the same thing previously and was skeptical about dry brining knowing it would be followed by Montreal. In my experience using both, I’ve never had a steak come out too salty, and I’m much more sensitive to salt than my wife. Maybe that’s why I have high blood pressure. 🤔🤣

Bowl of Texas red chili (made by a New Englander living in SoCal). Hit with the whole fam. Plus some skillet cornbread as a bonus.
    Attached Files

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I see that Darth Panhead John has converted you to the dark side. Regret this you shall one day.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing quite like a good bowl of Texas red. Tell me the cornbread didn't have sugar in it.

If it did, that's OK. We're broadminded around here. My New England born/raised husband insists on sugar in his cornbread. I make two batches, with/without.

Kathryn

• GreaseShirt
      GreaseShirt commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc full disclosure… it was northern style sugar and all. You can take the boy out of New Hampshire but… Truth be told I’ve always wanted to try making a “sugar free” one if you have a good recipe you feel like recommending.

Name:	36761D6B-CDA2-40B7-B592-43C9E9C48C8D.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	1357428
    CI pizza (again). Made the dough yesterday. Parsley and cheese Italian sausage from our local deli. Sounds odd, but it’s delicious! Mushrooms, pepperoni and red bell. Fresh shredded mozzarella.

Name:	FBFD3109-0E1A-4E25-9C17-0980548818D9.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1357427
    Last edited by SheilaAnn; January 7, 2023, 12:15 AM. Reason: Hit the wrong button and had to go back and did the pictures.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Bogy do you mean this place? https://marrispizzalongbeach.com/about

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn Thanks for sharing. I like that the total time can be ~11 hours; sometimes I'd like to start in the morning for pizza dinner. I have a well seasoned 10" CI pan, and I don't have any qualms about doing in my oven, even though I have Ooni.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      How pretty is that!

K.

Been on my own this week while my lovely bride went to visit her ailing parents. But she's at the airport for her flight home as I type...!! Yay.

Needed to replenish my stock of vac-sealed pulled pig leftovers, so smoked up a regular ol' grocery store pork butt using what is rapidly becoming my SOP for long cooks: start out on the SnS kettle with charcoal and wood chunks for the first 5-6 hours while temps are extremely stable, then shift over to the Pit Boss vertical p-smoker for the rest of the way. That's about when increased fiddling levels become required to hold temp on the kettle, and in many cases I foil boat the cut at transfer. That's how this one went after dry brining overnight and dousing heavily with Jenni In A Bottle rub, from my namesake pal in Austin, shortly before Go Time.

For my meal, I lopped off the money muscle end and sliced it up, and pulled the rest. Plated with corn on the cob and summer squash.

Trimmed off much of the fat cap during prep.

Name:	20230106_074928.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1357496

Name:	20230106_102730.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1357495
    Beautiful color from the Jenni In A Bottle Rub.

Name:	20230106_144329.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	1357501
    If I had a boat, I'd go out on the ocean...

Name:	20230106_152717.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1357503
    Slicin, servin, pullin.

Name:	20230106_180655.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1357500

Name:	20230106_180937.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1357497

Name:	20230106_180952.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1357499
    They call me Mellow Yellow... quite rightly.

Name:	20230106_181426.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1357498

Name:	20230106_184225.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1357502

Super tasty, probed like buttah by the end, wonderful flavor from the apple wood and the rub, and probably the best bark I've put on a butt to date.

Comment

• Clawbear57
      Clawbear57 commented
      Editing a comment
      You should send your sweetheart away more often if you cook like when she's gone. Beautiful cook love the bark.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, I cook like this when she's home, too, so no way do I want her to leave again!

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Carnivores delight!

Stock for my soup tomorrow, breakfast for my Wife and marinading tonight’s pork loin roast.

Name:	AE5BACB8-DDDE-45BA-AA10-1433A23336F4.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1357594 Click image for larger version

Name:	FA90BB14-DC69-46A7-B2C8-E2483622FB2A.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1357593 Click image for larger version

Name:	ADA1C841-5743-4A46-85E7-29F757632864.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	1357595

Comment

Pork butt… again. I put some in mac n chz for a coworker who just had a baby and vacu-bagged the left overs so the new parents have easy food available when they aren’t sleeping.

Name:	023E47EB-A286-4665-A9DB-A17D8EA5FA85.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1357600

Name:	D4CBA3F5-F0EA-45D9-8FBD-E16834268F1D.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1357601

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Pulled pork mac n cheese is awesome. I know the new parents will think so too.

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great neighbor you are. Send me some.

Bacon, eggs, cathead biscuits and peach habanero preserves.
      Attached Files

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Whew... glad it's a benign explanation!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Cathead is the best way to make biscuits, IMO. Love the crunchy pokie-outy bits.

Kathryn

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I love that pokie - outy bits is truly understood! 💕

Pizza!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230106_191905.jpg Views:	2 Size:	788.5 KB ID:	1357668 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230106_190425.jpg Views:	3 Size:	692.1 KB ID:	1357669

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like a cheese/pepperoni blanket on that beautiful crust!

Burgers and warmed meatloaf,

it's the season for Blackstone Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4481.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1357770

Comment

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm looking at griddle now .The only thing about the Pit is i see so many things that I want without the money and space.

Name:	20230107_153608_HDR.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1357789 See...

I did actually cook some ribeye hot and fast on the gassier.
      Bribed overnight ($20 each).
      Just s&p and garlic powder...

They were almost rare. Fork cuts...

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Way to go Allon! 🙌

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        For the win!

K.

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks everyone...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here