Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 28, Winter 2022 - 2023

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked one of my 3 Secret Santa prime flanks today. I strongly debated this as I know flank should be seared and I'd hate to ruin such a beautiful piece of meat... but I have 3! The only straight smoke recipes I saw demanded a marinade, well I didn't wanna do that. Dry brined with salt, pepper, and garlic powder overnight.

Smoked at 200 for 1.5 hours until 129 IT. Let rest while I nuked some left over smashed taters. Served with a bit of chimichurri. It was dang good! The next one I plan on hot and fast on the PKGO, might marinade that one, but this one was perfect as is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221226_184626.jpg Views:	35 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	1351719
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221226_184806.jpg Views:	35 Size:	4.56 MB ID:	1351720
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_154401.jpg Views:	34 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1351717
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_171346.jpg Views:	34 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	1351716
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_172433.jpg Views:	35 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	1351718
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; December 27, 2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Man I really need to make one of those soon.

Ham and Cheese Sliders!

Assembled Hawaiian Sweet rolls with ham, Swiss cheese and a little mayo. Covered sliders with a mixture of melted butter, Dijon mustard, onion powder and a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce. Covered in foil and let set for about 10 min before placing it on the Grilla Grills Silverbac at 350°F. Cooked covered for about 15 min then uncovered until the sliders were browned and the cheese was melted the way I wanted (about another 15/20 min) Such an easy thing to do with leftover Christmas Ham! YUM!
    Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a fav in our house too

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      We like that one too. Easy to make as well. Also Malcom Reed has a bersion called “Tailgate cheesesteak” that I’ve made. Same basic method but with shaved beef. Also really good.

• TWBarbecue
      TWBarbecue commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin Heck yeah! Good stuff. Jfrosty27 Wow I just saw that video today! Looked delicious. I thought about trying that out also with chicken as a different version!

Back in the saddle with a beef broccoli stir fry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4278.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1351773

Name:	IMG_4281.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	1351772

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      How is the burner working out? Judging by that dish I'd say pretty darn good!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      You are doing great stuff with that wok!

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly thank you, Old Glory that burner is the bees knees. Since I've been down with a respiratory virus and it's nasty cold outside, I did this one inside on the stove top. It went well, but the heat just isn't there and it definitely makes a difference. With the burner, the beef gets a better Malliard reaction because the liquid from the marinade evaporates super fast.

tub wibs! 😁
    Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice set up, noob!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing beats the SV to heat up leftover smoked meat, especially if vac sealed... zero chance of any overcooking (unless you're an idiot like me, and set your temp to a 145 serving temp on a prime rib you painstakingly kept no more than 131...) and you get all the juices. Yum!

OK, I'll harass you with another quick cook on the Spirt. Hot sausage, Trader Joe's peppers and onions seasoned with salt, pepper, EVO and amped up with FlatIron Dark and Smokey. Onion rings, thank you Nathan's and crescent rolls from Mrs. Pillsbury.

PS: Top Round brining, New batch of O'Learys Cow Crust made. Anyone want a roast beef sandwich?

Name:	20221227_191752.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1351799

Comment

Sous vide ribs are magic. I bow before those of you that can cook baby back ribs traditionally on the smoker. Every recipe, technique, and method I’ve used has never resulted in the consistent, tender, lovely ribs I get from AR’s sous vide technique. My family thanks you!

Name:	1BDF652B-49F5-4F29-BA99-36089D2D8DEE.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	1351816

Name:	E728C47F-F382-4B78-974E-E64B914F157E.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	1351817

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I never knew there was a sous vide recipe for baby backs on the free side. If it works for you, no bowing necessary, lol. But there are a bunch of folks here who would love to solve that issue with you if you ever decide to tackle it again.

For Christmas Eve, I smoked some beef cheeks for tacos. My sister in law made enchiladas and we had all the various sides.

I ended up with the leftover bbq cheek meat and wanted to do something different with it. I also happened to come across a recipe for "Short Rib Stuffed Agnolotti del Plin" on Not Another Cooking Show" on youtube.

I decided to adapt for the bbq cheeks instead of braise and see how I can make out.

Made the filling: bbq cheek meat, parm., spinach, demiglace. Tried to fold into the correct shape. Failed. Test cooked a couple "flat" ones. Delicious.

Figured out how to fold them correctly. Pasta wheel I picked up at BB&B is a POS. Still come up with something resembling the proper shape. Need to work on my pasta folding skills.

Made 2 dozen for dinner. Served with sauteed broccolini and bread. Delicious. The cheeks have so much gelatin, the pasta is super-unctuous. The my sauce consistency was not right and didn't cling like it had for the test batch. Oh well, I have a couple points to refine but this was quite the delicious dish. Very rich, especially for a pasta. Broccolini didn't really go with the dish, but that's what we had and it needed to get eaten.

Fried some sage leaves to garnish.

Name:	IMG-7780.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1351826 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7781.jpg
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1351821 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7784.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1351823 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7795.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1351825 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7797.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1351824 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7807.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1351820 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7766.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1351827

Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes that's beautiful!

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome....I made Agnolotti for the first time recently. Your dish looks totally delicious!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang! Outstanding 👏👏😘

The kiddos - well, not necessarily kiddos considering the are now 21 and 18 made dinner for the wife and I tonight. Part of our Christmas gift from the two of them, along with dessert and a movie after dishes are done. I should be helping with those dishes….but doctors order to keep the thumb dry ha!

Fettuccine Alfredo with chile rubbed chicken and broccoli

Click image for larger version  Name:	2EF6321B-8FDB-42D2-A5B0-660DABE22678.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	1351848

My daughter was head chef, son was sous and said he learned a few things from his sister.

All i know is this was a great dinner and I’ll have to see if I can talk them into cooking a bit more before she goes back to school!

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great evening. Sounds like someone raised them well!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrrr ha, that made me chuckle. And thank you hoovarmin

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        In all seriousness though, I wish you a speedy recovery

Dinner was a slow simmered (7-9 hours) red sauce, set a 3 meat Italian American meatball in the center and topped with grated parm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3B5E44C4-C3B4-4C6A-BFD9-665FD80C5C23.jpg Views:	16 Size:	4.87 MB ID:	1351857
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 27, 2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        So much meaning and storytelling bound up in one short sentence.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I can taste that from here.

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        How can make one meat ball and sauce look so good. Thanks.

Today I smoked up a pair of SLC ribs that were just one part of my wonderful box of Duroc pork my Secret Santa Skip generously gifted me, coming out of Compart Family Farms. Dry brined them overnight and gave them a generous dousing with Jenni In A Bottle Rib Rub, a gift from my good friend Jenni in Austin, TX. Check out this thread for the background.

Started them on the SnS kettle with B&B charcoal and some apple chunks, then about four hours in moved them to the vertical pellet smoker, foil-boated them, and let them finish. (Did this to get all the wood smoke I wanted while the kettle's temp was rock steady, then shifted it over as soon as vent fiddling became necessary - hands free all the way, the optimum with 6 and 9 year old grandchildren tearing around the place.)

These were the best pork ribs I have yet made. Between the superior starting material and Jenni's wonderful rub, they were just amazing. We ate up one of the two racks, and the other I cleft in twain and vac-sealed up for two more delicious leftover rib dinners for my lovely bride and myself. Dig the color on these babies! I did not get any plated pictures, because RIBS.

My six-year-old granddaughter took her first bite, and let out an involuntary "WHOA...!!" Watching the play of expression on her little face while those flavors registered for the first time was a simply sublime experience. "Ten out of ten!" she declared. You said it, kid... you said it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221225_132202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	1351867
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_112857.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	1351864
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_141643.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	1351865
      2.5 hours in. The wan and weak but warmly colored rays of the westering December sun complement the rich color Jenni's rub gives these ribs.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_152523.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	1351869
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_152530.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	1351862
      Transferred to the p-smoker in a foil boat built for two.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_162356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	1351870
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_173551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	1351863
      Pulled 'em, rested ten minutes, slice 'em up.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_181911.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	1351866
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221227_182326.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	1351868
      Sides were some steamed asparagus plus some potato pancakes my lovely bride whipped up. However, there are no pictures of those, so apparently, they did not happen.

Comment

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Man those are some nice looking ribs.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Clawbear57 Right?? Me too, that color is amazing. Of course, two new variables at once, the Duroc pork and the Jenni rub, so I can't be sure which had the bigger contribution to the color. Heritage breed pork is known to have much deeper color in general than the basic commodity pigmeat. I have experiments planned to isolate each effect...

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        "Cleft in Twain"? What a beautiful turn of phrase 😎👍👏👏!

I decided to try my hand today at making Chicago Deep Dish pizza. I followed Brian Lagerstrom's (who grew up in Chicago) video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89RYM6k0tKA His aim is to try to get all of the good elements from the various Chicago deep-dish styles and also allow you to cook it in a home oven.

Wow, this thing is the most ridiculous pizza I have ever made and certainly the most indulgent. It doesn't really hit you what you've done until you are staring at 8 lbs of pizza looking back at you!

The dough comes together rather easily. For one 10" pizza, you have about half of a stick of butter in it, which is not something I am used to doing with pizza dough. The crust comes out with a fried pie-crust taste, which is unique.

Here are my dough balls (I only made one of these for one pizza) right before their second rise in the fridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6573.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	1351887

You make a cooked pizza sauce for this and Brian's recipe is fantastic. Grated red onion, garlic, salt, tomato paste, basil, oregano and....and entire 28 oz can of crusted tomatoes!! (I used Muir Glen fire-roasted as they are my favorite.)

For whatever reason, my sauce was wanting to splatter everywhere, so I cooked it on lower heat than Brian did and I don't think I reduced it enough. I should have done longer. At the end, it wasn't thick enough. (If you look closely you can see the fire-roasted black specs in the sauce.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6572.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	1351886

The dough is extremely pliable and rolling it out is actually very easy, given all of the butter in it. It was the easiest dough I've ever rolled. Here is the dough in the cast iron, along with about 10 ounces of diced full-fat whole milk mozzarella sticks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6574.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	1351884

On top of that you add in a copious amount of Italian sausage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6575.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	1351885

On to of that goes all of that sauce, along with a good dusting of pecerino-romano cheese and a dusting of red chili flakes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6576.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.88 MB ID:	1351889

Into a 425 F oven it goes for 30-35 minutes. Careful! This thing is heavily and you probably are rethinking your life's choices right about now.

Out it comes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6578.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1351888

I let it cool for about 10 minutes.

There is a bit of an art to getting slices out this. And my way-too-thin sauce was not helping. I really did need to let that sauce reduce a bit more. Here is my first attempt at getting a slice on a plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6579.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	1351890

I guess it is a slice. I promise there is crust under there.

Here is attempt two, which I did a little better. It is at least roughly-triangular looking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6580.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1351891

As far as flavors go, this is good. The sauce is very, very good....and, I do generally like a saucy pizza, but this is way too much lol. As you can imagine, I ate my slices with a fork and knife. The Italian sausage is fantastic and the way I did it is almost like having little round sausage meatballs in there.

I like the crust....the fried pie crust thing is nice, just not my preference.

But the sauce, this is just over the top with sauce. It is almost like eating pizza stew!

EDIT:

Heh, if you wait for the pizza to cool down, it becomes much, much easier to slice! Here's an instagram-worthy shot. That is some saucy pizza!

Name:	IMG-6582.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1351916
      Last edited by Michael_in_TX; December 27, 2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn I let it rest for only 10 minutes. I probably could gone another 10....the pizza was sitting in cast iron, after all.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Michael_in_TX I am either going to Lou’s or Gino’s this weekend!

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks pretty darned good, but imagine how good it will be when you make it right! 😉

Christmas roast. I'm pretty sure this is the best roast I've ever cooked at my mom's house.

Name:	F763DD75-46CF-4487-966E-47CC48A32722_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1351973

Name:	C57F5DEF-BC53-4657-BBDB-5E97105D8AFD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1351972

Pretty happy with that even though carry over took it up to 137-ish while OH MY GOD COULD YOU PEOPLE GET TO WORK ON THE DAMN TATERS was going on. I'm definitely not using the oven probe anymore, I trust my SnS thermometer over that thing any day.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks amazing! Great job!!

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks fabulous. I get super frustrated when others join me in making a meal and don't follow the timeline to finish in time to serve the meat at the proper moment. I'm with you on those oven probes. Not to be trusted.

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Prime you can make mine the slice in the post. Where's the horseradish?

Doing a brisket today, from a new (to me) supplier: Fribois/1953 from South America. Anything you've heard of Ahumadora?

Trimmed it, dry brined overnight and then hit it with black pepper only (16 mesh). Smoking it with cherry wood on my PK 300.

Initial observations: pretty lean meat, not much marbling. The butcher seems to have been drunk, as there is a flat, but the point doesn't look complete. Also there's a big pocket right across the point (or what should be the point). Never seen this before. Could be a challenge slicing this up.

Smoking with cherry wood chunks, and the FireBoard 2 + Pit Viper is doing the temp monitoring for me. Rock steady.

Raw brisket. Looks like the flat "folds up and over" on the left hand side...

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	1351991

With black pepper applied. See the gap running top to bottom in the picture?

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	351.4 KB ID:	1351992

Brisket on the smoker. Where it belongs :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.5 KB ID:	1351990

Fireboard keeping temps rock steady at 120° C. Will probably bump it up later, but need to leave the house for a while, so not running crazy hot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fireboard2drive.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	1351989

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik I have heard of ahumadora and I can’t recall why right now….

Looking forward to the final presentation!

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn He's a member here who lived in Argentina and now New Zealand..........
        unless you where kidding.
        Last edited by ofelles; December 29, 2022, 11:02 AM.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Par for the course being a South American brisket. Pretty much all like that with giant gashes all over them.

So, here's the end result. Taste: ok. But way too lean, seems like 80% flat and 20% point. I'll stick with my "standard" brisket suppliers. The cook went well, though, and exactly to plan. 5.5 hours smoke, 2.5 hour faux cambro.

Name:	brisket.jpg
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1352256

Comment

Smoked a chuckle today. Caramelized onions, on an onion roll with horseradish mayo.
        Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that combo!

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fantastic!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here