Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was my Daughter's 21st birthday. She asked for BBQ. Cooked up four racks of St. Louis Ribs and a Pork Butt. Gave her a bottle of Ace of Spades to celebrate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2831.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	1164948

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2835.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.28 MB ID:	1164949

Pulled Pork
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2832.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	1164946
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2834.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	1164947

Mac N' Cheese
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2833.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	1164945

The Birthday Girl
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2836.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	1164944

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook happy birthday and nice sweatshirt. My daughter and her husband are grads. Now that she's of age tell her to drop in at Stackers, next to Antonio's. My S.I.L is owner. And there is McMurphys too which he's a managing partner.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys and gals! My wife is the baker and she made that awesome cake.

Kathryn she spells her name the same way as you. No we don't even try to pretend she has never had a drink before...LOL.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations! It's always a treat to meet the family.

My dr has been on me about my eating habits so I tried something new this morning. Quinoa oatmeal. I hate the texture of real oatmeal, so when I saw this from Giada De Laurentiis I figured what the heck. I used raspberries, strawberries, pomegranate seeds, and pineapple with some chopped almonds. I even used the almond milk. And the real maple syrup. I will probably leave the almond off next time or use some shaved ones, the chopped almonds with the pomegranate seeds made it too crunchy. Maybe I will become a health nut… Nah

Click image for larger version

Name:	43A8B4F1-A1B8-4803-B4CB-D18C3204236B.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1165024

Name:	9431B3CF-0708-44F2-9A3D-15B5817E70DC.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1165025

Comment

Reverse sear sirloin. Thin piece on left for SWMBO. Served with grilled courgette, potato wedges and mushroom sauce.
    Slightly overcooked (more to medium side than rare)

Name:	IMG20220124121912.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1165080

Name:	IMG20220125183031.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	1165081

Our beef has very little marbling but still very tasty.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting looking beef. To me, the pink color is more like fresh pork than the red I usually see with beef, and its about the leanest I've seen. Must be due to a different diet for the cows down there on the bottom side of the world...

The real trick as always is cooking it to the satisfaction of SWMBO.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris my not to extensive research on our beef and why it differs from USA is mainly attributed to 3 main reasons (there are others). Natural grazing land, breed and slaughter age.

I give you a breakfast sandwich experiment. Cracker Barrel had something similar to this a ways back. This is a toasted English muffin, "buttered" with mayonnaise, topped with scrambled eggs, a slice of colby-jack cheese, and a tomato slice. It's really good.

I wanted this to be fast, so I experimented with microwaving the eggs. I was totally skeptical, but they turned out fantastic.....better than when I typically cook them in a pan! Light, fluffy, and creamy! I was utterly surprised. I scrambled two eggs with a tbl of milk, some salt and pepper, and placed the bowl in the microwave for 40 seconds. It was about 1/2 cooked. I swirled the uncooked eggs around and spooned them on top of the cooked part. I then did another 20 seconds and it was 90% there. I did a final 5 seconds and it was perfect.

I did encounter two structural problems. The bowel made the eggs a bit larger than I needed them, so they hung over the edge of the muffin by a significant amount. Also, mayo makes things very slippery, so it was really hard to keep the egg patty in the muffin! (The egg patty never fell apart itself.) I need to find a bowl with a smaller "base" and perhaps try only using one egg. Maybe only placing mayo on the top half -- not touching the egg -- would help.

That colby-jack cheese does melt so well, though. Yum.

Name:	IMG-5316.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1165085

Comment

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cooking eggs like this is one of the few reasons I keep a microwave in the house. We use the air fryer for most re-heating, but "scrambled" eggs in the microwave are very good. Pro tip - add one slice of american cheese "product" per two eggs. The splash of milk is also very important. I have found that when cooking one or two eggs, only cook for 15 seconds at a time and stir in between. If cooking more than two, cook at 30 seconds and stir in between.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      You could buy an egg ring ( https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=egg+rin...ref=nb_sb_noss )
      or a microwave egg cooker ( https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=microwa..._sb_ss_sc_1_13 )

They do come in different sizes though...

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      If the size of the eggs was the only problem caused by the bowel, you got off easy . Nice cook!

Nice lunch. I went to the stupor market fer some red peppers & avacados. I don’t go much cuz my freezers are full so I need very little in the shopping Dept. Could not resist a trip by the budget bin & aye matey looket what we find but Mahi Mahi, argh! I paid under 8 dabloons fer juss under 1lb of fish. Got the old Griz out to handle em. Click image for larger version

Name:	26A8C0EA-1F2D-424C-88A3-DCAF0B1649EB.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1165143 Click image for larger version

Name:	2E66D8B4-2BA2-4C43-9F3A-164A00F8067F.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1165142 Click image for larger version

Name:	2A19F99B-52EA-4E86-81BB-853F4E20DC1F.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1165144 Click image for larger version

Name:	64574BB9-B778-485A-AC25-B5F2771E91E3.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1165141

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks delicious.

Chili Con Carne. I use Meathead Recipe for Chili Con Carne my base but I always add whatever I have left over in the fridge. Ya know, odds and ends. I smoke it the first day, then chill it out in the MN winter, then reheat the next day and then serve it on the third day after heating it up with coals down at the sauna. This is always a big hit after a few rounds in the sauna and cold dip in the spring.

As far as meat is concerned this time around I have.....

KBQ'd brisket, Pork Belly, Brats, Cajun Sausage and some beef rib bones. I always double this recipe cause I usually add about 4 X the amount of meat that the recipe calls for. I love adding some Wagyu tallow to this as well.

Name:	IMG_4842.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1165189

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! holehogg

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yumpin yimminy! Dang, a whole pot of 4X the meat. I’ve got to look up this con carne recipe. 👍

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Look at link above! (Red Text) FireMan

Country style spare ribs cooked Malcolm Reed style, smoked, braised, and seared. Photo taken just after smoking. Below some super messy jalapeño poppers.

Name:	IMG_8151.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	1165198

Name:	IMG_8160.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1165197

With the leftover rib meat, cooked up some red beans and rice using Meathead's recipe.

Name:	IMG_8170.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1165199

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Poppers look awesome.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Stick to yo bones!

when the 1/2 pork loin is not square, slice it up for Faux Shake and Bake Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	1165207

Comment

My rendition of Pequod's Pizza. A well known Chicago Deep Dish Pizza joint. They are known for having caramelized cheese around the crust. I couldn't show slices because as I was slicing, they disappeared. This was a sausage and mushroom pizza. Troutman and SheilaAnn are familiar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6478.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.85 MB ID:	1165211 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6477.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	1165212
      Last edited by troymeister; January 25, 2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper Yes. Roosevelt Rd. is certainly not what it used to be. My brother still lives there.

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        wowowowowowowow

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn, that looks amazing. I really need to make it over there.

Some Porcini Mushroom Ravioli, Homemade Meat Sauce, Grilled Romain Salad. Delish!

Name:	IMG_6495.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	1165215 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6485.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1165214

Comment

Last but not least. Homemade Chicken Mole Tacos...A bit time consuming and tedious, but worth the effort.

Name:	IMG_6483.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1165218

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Someone’s been busy!

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          This was over a few days. I was behind in posting...

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great, Troy.

Garlic parmesan shrimp, with sesame oil, oregano and thyme.

Name:	61F1B3A2-3A86-4CE7-B515-24C98ED1D604.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1165276

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Sesame oil with oregano and thyme? Interesting.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Michael_in_TX I’m fairly new to the world of trying different oils, I am pretty in love with sesame oil right now. I also just got a lb of really good dried oregano that is super aromatic right now, so I am using it everywhere. Lol! thyme, well I love it!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz looks good and an interesting combo. I love thyme as well. Died some on the dehydrate setting on the bougie toaster oven. Kitchen still smells great after 2 days!

Chicken stir-fry tonight. Who knew that you can treat rainbow chard just like bok choy? Turned out great and colorful!

Name:	2022-01-25 18.09.29.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1165329

Comment

There was precisely enough leftover chuckie from Saturday's smoke to make a mess o'nachos for two. Scoops filled with pulled chuck, shredded cheese, some some of our Hatch green chile stash (we get a box in the fall and roast 'em on the gasser), served with some salsa and sour cream. This was an Aussie grass-fed cut from Crowdcow, loaded with great beefy flavor. Nachos were *chef's kiss*

Name:	image_165547.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	1165332

Comment

Finally for tonight's meal: Korean Style Wings, Tempura Green Beans, Roasted Sweet Potato.

Name:	IMG_6520.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1165340 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6527.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1165341

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I'm talking about! I love me a good wing, and Korean style are among the best.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here