Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass-fed Flat Iron Steak, locally sourced. I made a quick board sauce and sliced against the grain. Very tasty and tender. Served with oven roasted potatoes and peppers and a glass of Cherry Russian mead that I made in 2014, last bottle. (It came out medium, pics don't show the pink very well)

Click image for larger version  Name:	flatiron1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.26 MB ID:	1049697
    Click image for larger version  Name:	flatiron2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.60 MB ID:	1049696
    Click image for larger version  Name:	flatiron3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.96 MB ID:	1049698
    Click image for larger version  Name:	flatiron4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.75 MB ID:	1049699

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work David but I missed my invitation somehow

Some more fun with sous vide tonight. Pork tenderloin, dry brined then vacuum sealed with a honey-garlic marinade & into the hot water bath. Seared on a cast iron to finish, simmered down the bag remains into a sauce. Also steamed some broccoli
    Attached Files

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I believe I saw on the news recently that broccoli is now one of the most popular veggies, and has made #1 on random lists in the last 3 or 4 years as Americas Favorite Veg

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Why are you hating on his veggies? I for one love seared broccoli and brussels with a little olive oil and a touch of garlic. I think this is a well rounded cook that I'd eat any day.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Wasn’t hating on his veggies, just overall.

Had a gun put to my head to repeat this dish.
    The ground beef "steak" has porcini powder and fish sauce mixed in. Sous vide the patty in 135 degrees hot tub time machine, finish in cast iron pan. Serve over chipotle mayo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210623_205619_798.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1049767

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoever pulled the gun did us a favor!

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      My heart may have skipped a beat there....

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Who's yo Umami???

Tomahawk steaks on the Braten. Reverse seared...did the initial warming partly high above fire but directly over, partly off to the side but lower and with lid closed. I'm still experimenting how best to do this..

Meat from VT Wagyu which has become one of my favorite sources. Oakridge Carne Crosta rub. Oak splits, started with Braseiro charcoal to get things going.

This was probably my best cook so far on the Braten in grill mode. Great medium-rare, great crust, and some smoke flavor.
    Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Show off! Great cook BTW.

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I call that the "vertical" reverse sear.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh daddy, come to poppa !!!!!!

Bavette reverse seared on the BGI

Grill Grates doing their job

Name:	IMG_1852.jpeg
Views:	396
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1049841

Nice Med Rare. Seasoned with Malcolm Reed's AP Rub.

Name:	IMG_1855.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1049842

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect!!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, oh, oh!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Daayummm!

Name:	2A44EEB4-C1BC-4F3C-8F31-30A1DAFAD6CB.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	1049887 Good ole beer brats on the kettle grill!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it! tough to beat a brat soup with some cast iron.

• KiloVolt89
      KiloVolt89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Brats over hot dogs all day!

Alrighty folks, I was looking for something to do with leftover pulled pork from Father's Day, and had an urge yesterday to go into the house around 3pm and whip up a batch of pizza dough. About 5pm I fired up some lump in the bottom of the SNS Deluxe Kamado, about 5:30pm I started making 2 pizzas using ingredients found in the house - pulled pork, the dough of course, a jar of Alfredo sauce in the pantry, and a can of mushrooms. I had a block of mozzarella cheese and some shredded Colby jack in the fridge as well. Sadly, no olives in the fridge or pantry, but all in all, VERY pleased with the results.

I let my Lodge 14" pizza pan pre-heat with the kamado, and when I went out with the pizza, flames were shooting out of the bottom of the SNSK, with the thermometer pegged over 700F! I shut the vents down some, settling in between 550F and 600F.

I built both pizzas on parchment paper, and used my "grate tool" as a large spatula to turn the pizzas, yanking the parchment paper out at the first quarter turn. All in all the pizzas took about 8 minutes to cook. Nice spotting on the bottom, and a perfect amount of browning and spotting to the bubbling cheese. I topped my pizza with Tabasco Sriracha, and Yvonne opted to dip her pizza in Sweet Baby Rays (it was BBQ pizza after all!).

The only negative is I may have used a little too much flour and semolina when flouring the parchment paper to try and keep the super sticky dough from sticking to it, and in a few spots, there was some white flour stuck to the bottom of the pizza after cooking.

The real take away is that the SNS Deluxe Kamado makes awesome pizza, and even with no wood, just B&B lump, it had a nice smoky wood-fired taste. We are having the second pizza for dinner tonight... and I also gotta remember to go collect my Lodge from the grill before it sits out there for days! The grill was still 400F at bed-time, so I left it uncovered overnight, and left the CI pan out there.

Also - if you don't have a pizza stone yet, I highly recommend the Lodge CI pans as an alternative.

Name:	IMG_5392.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	1050009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5404.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1050005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5398.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1050007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5397.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1050006Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5408.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1050011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5416.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1050010Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5417.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1050008

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great!

• Dtax
      Dtax commented
      Editing a comment
      Noting like kicking the tires on the undercarriage for the true test on anything, but especially pizza.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Having the pies suspended like that some inches above the deflector works wonders, true hot air cooking! Great photos!

This will be the last meal I cook inside the house for at least 5 days until this heat wave burns out. Big downside of a gas stove is how many BTU’s it puts into the air, raises the temp in the kitchen 10 degrees. Which ain’t good when it’s 105 and no air-conditioning.

So, used some of the Pacific Cod in my last Sitka Salmon Shares box, some pasta, artichoke hearts, Sicilian olives, capers, pasta water, white wine, and butter and made a fish pasta thing ….. it was pretty damn good per my wife. :-)

Name:	70ABF7AA-B057-434B-94BC-3BF987413A10.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1050397

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn I made ceviche from the cod a couple weeks ago. Was excellent, no fishy taste or smell at all.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking pasta dish, ecowper

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Even with A/C, in the summer using the stove and oven heat the kitchen and den up more than I like. I run the exhaust hood on turbo mode when cooking in the summer, to pull as much heat out of the kitchen as possible.

Hatch chili beer brats from my local butcher on a King Hawaiian bun and purple cauliflower-potato salad.

Name:	Resizer_16245956029450.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	1050401

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty, as usual Attjack

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Brat yes. Cauliflower NO.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      The cauliflower elevates the potato salad by lightening the dish, adding a new layer of texture (crunch), and by adding color.
      Last edited by Attjack; June 26, 2021, 08:54 PM.

Did a Porchetta (rolled up pork belly) yesterday. I gotta say: I love pork belly, have cooked a ton of 'em, but a classic Italian porchetta is a big hit!!

I do mine with the skin off. I want max bark, and cook the skin separately (another day).

Trim the belly and remove the rib tips (bones) if there are any. Cut it with a brisket sword so you can fold it open like a book.

Brush with sweet mustard, then apply tarragon (dried) and sage (fresh). Roll it up tight, truss it, and apply a good rub on the outside. I wanted to go very herbacious on this one, so I used my "Hank's Fish Bait rub" on this one.

Smoked it on the kettle at 130° C / 265° F for 3.5 hours, until inner temp was 95° C / 203° F. I dropped in a few chunks of cherry wood for that lovely smoke flavor. Let it rest 30 minutes, loosely tented with alu foil, then serve. Boom!

And since it is Midsummer's Eve today in Sweden (a traditional Viking celebration), I hope you all have a happy Midsummer's Eve!!

Belly sliced, getting a load of herbs

Name:	porchetta-herbs.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1050445

Trussed and rubbed, ready for some o' dat smoke

Name:	porchetta-trussed.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1050446

The finished result. Love that bark!

Name:	porchetta.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1050447

Fancy a slice?

Name:	porchetta-sliced.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1050448

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Brilliant

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! No Troutman, I'm a big fan of fennel, but wanted to take it in a (slightly) new direction. Sage and tarragon worked wonders.

• Dtax
      Dtax commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Looks beautiful!

Smoked brats, I also baked two loaves this morning,

Click image for larger version  Name:	C5AD5A33-32C6-4D27-8B9F-2D7633A634F7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	571.5 KB ID:	1050629

Name:	2D7E023D-D86D-4259-9AC8-D2065BA31472.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	1050633
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 25, 2021, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Nothing spectacular to look at, but the brisket might be the best hunk of meat I've ever thrown in a smoker. A Costco prime that I wet aged for about 60 days. When I took it out of the bag it smelled wonderful and was all bendy and wobbly. I trimmed out the deckle and left about a 1/2 inch of fat cap. DB'd for 24, slapped on some Hank's Bonafide and a little extra pepper and popped it into the LSG. Gonna do the QVQ for a Monday Texas-style BBQ dinner for friends and family. Getting some local-made jalapeno-cheddar brats and polish sausages that'll get smoked on Monday as well. I'll make Crack-n-cheese and a friend will make some Texas-style beans. Trying to decide if I'm going to make kolaches as well, I'm pretty sure how David 58limited would vote on that one! The St Louies and skirt are for dinner tonight. Now, if I only had Brett's tater tot casserole recipe......

Name:	Big cook.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	1050700

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!! That’s the way to roll 🔥👊

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        For some reason, just noticed your location. What part of Great state of Jefferson are you in? Sadly, I’m over on the not so nice side of our state. Meat looks great too!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        tamidw we live near Mt Shasta, right next door to the fire right now. We're completely safe where we are, but sure sucks to see what's happening.

Been folding sox all day and watching Panhead John fridge defrost so only had time for an easy marinated chicken grill
      Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! I’m surprised you were able to pull yourself away from my defrost video long enough to cook. Word I’m hearing is of many burned cooks from members who were so enthralled with my live stream, they forgot about their food on the grill.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John Jedi Pit Masters use the force, I’m just ADD, I think it’s the same thing……

Smoked a chuckie for pulled beef sandwiches with grilled onions and horseradish sauce.

Sides of grilled Brussel sprouts and slaw.

brined the roast over night and then seasoned with pepper, onion powder, and garlic granules and then smoked for 2 hours.

then finished in the Dutch over with beef broth and a stick of butter for another 2.5 hours.

very comforting.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dtax; June 25, 2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        YUM!!!

Fried chikin.

Name:	PXL_20210625_221209108.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	1050828

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike HAHAHAHA

• Dtax
        Dtax commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome! You do a wet batter dredge or otherwise? Been into cast iron lately as a beginner and would appreciate any tips. Recognizing the fry may not have been via cast iron. None the less love the education.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here