Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgaretz
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • San Ramon, CA
    • Mark Garetz
      Rec Tec pellet grill
      Weber Genesis Gasser
      Maverick ET-732 and Thermapen and others

Yet another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with steamed spinach in butter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated12.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	669467

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close12.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	669466

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't work for Smithfield by any chance?

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      No, but I once had to be right next to one of their plants. My god did the air reek of hickory smoke flavor.
  • Nuke em
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Nj

Lol so I take it that ya don’t use hickory much for smokin

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a pellet that is a combo of maple, hickory and cherry.
  • ByTor
    Club Member
    • May 2019

Can these be done on a gas grill? And if so would you use Grill Grates? Amazn smoker tube (pellets)? Indirect heat? Direct low heat? Thanks, I'm a newb.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      ByTor Grillgrates are really intended for direct grilling - not indirect cooking. If you have a full set and want to cook indirect on gas, you will need to "break" the heat conductivity by separating the panels with a gap between the direct and indirect section of the gas grill. If you don't separate the panels, the heat conducts from one end of the grill surface to the other. I had this discussion with Grillgrates customer service when I first got them myself.
  • mgaretz
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • San Ramon, CA
    • Mark Garetz
      Rec Tec pellet grill
      Weber Genesis Gasser

Originally posted by ByTor View Post
    Can these be done on a gas grill? And if so would you use Grill Grates? Amazn smoker tube (pellets)? Indirect heat? Direct low heat? Thanks, I'm a newb.
    They can as long as you can keep the heat fairly constant at 225f. Definitely set up for two zone indirect heating. Plenty of info on that on the main AR site. For smoke you’d use a tube or wood chunks.
    Last edited by mgaretz; May 11th, 2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• ByTor
      Club Member
      • May 2019

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post

They can as long as you can keep the heat fairly constant at 225f. Definitely set up for two zone indirect heating. Plenty of info on that on the main AR site. For smoke you’d use a tub or chips.
      Thanks and sorry another question. I know a lot of people add water to the grill setup to mimic a smoker. Would you think that is necessary for this? Also, since some seem to prefer them just a little more tender have you considered using foil or butcher paper the last half?

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        No and no. That should be tube, not tub, and wood chunks not chips.
        Last edited by mgaretz; May 11th, 2019, 08:39 AM.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I smoke on my gasser frequently. I used to just use one of those metal boxes that you soak wood chips in and place them on the burner. I recently picked up an Amazn tube, and have been using that, actually, used both a couple times. Gas grills aren't airtight (for safety reasons), so you don't get a heavy smoke taste, but I find it pleasant enough. I have never used a water pan, but one of these days I'll get around to trying that too.
    • Eli
      Eli
      Club Member
      • May 2019

Tried these today, turned out very good. I made the Memphis dust today so maybe it was more potent since it was fresh, but I thought the rub overpowered the meat flavor a bit, before the rub I hit them with some kosher salt. Next time I would just put the rub on the meat side instead of all over, also I didn't have time to let it sit with rub for 6 hrs but obviously still did the trick. I had a bit of trouble keeping temp steady at 225 because of wind, ranged a bit higher at times, and I only threw one tin foil baggy of hickory chips on. Used sweet baby rays sweet and spicy sauce. Very happy with bite, not fall of the bone but easy to chew. Was a hit with family, I would make again for company.

Thanks for your idea
      Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe Meathead has a "show us your rib face". That one is a winner!!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking cook! Thank you for sharing it with us!
    • mgaretz
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • San Ramon, CA
      • Mark Garetz
        Rec Tec pellet grill
        Weber Genesis Gasser

Blasphemy ribs yet, yet again. Served with steamed spinach with butter and a glass of Lodi Zin for dessert.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated13.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	678845

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close13.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	678844

Comment

• fkrall
        Club Member
        • Jan 2017
        • Northern NJ

I'm going to blaspheme for my first shot at ribs using charcoal and a Weber 22, 2 baby back racks. Need advice on smoke. I'm planning on using pecan. Should I use chunk or chips and how many chunks or applications of chips? I don't want to over-smoke. Another wood better? Thanks.

Comment

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          I just did some up last night for dinner. I used peach (3 pieces about 2 x 2 inches). Cook took 3 hours from lighting charcoal to plate. Weber 22 and S&S. The only way I do ribs now.
      • mgaretz
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • San Ramon, CA
        • Mark Garetz
          Rec Tec pellet grill
          Weber Genesis Gasser

I have updated the first post in this thread with more detail on the recipe and procedures. So check it out!

Thanks to all of you that have tried this recipe and for all the positive comments! Keep up the Blasphemy!

Comment

• Anton32828
          Club Member
          • Jun 2018
          • Weber 22 inch kettle grill
            Slow-N-Sear
            Maverick ET-732 thermometer

You just gave me an excuse to buy grill pans!

Comment

• new2smoking
            Club Member
            • Aug 2018
            • Seattle, WA

@mgaretz: first, thanks for developing this recipe and keeping us all informed.
            I plan on blaspheming 3 Costco baby back racks on my KBQ for the family tomorrow. Question: have you or anyone tried cutting into two rib pieces? This would let them sit bone down, and you could coat three sides. Plus less ‘sticking’ to the pan. If so, did the time change?
            Thanks
            Daniel

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting idea
          • ccorson97
            Charter Member
            • Jul 2015

I've done these Blasphemy Ribs three times now. I waited to post until I feel I got it perfected from my family's standpoint.

First of all, a HUGE thanks to mgaretz for turning me on to this process. I would have never tried it on my own, and I will be honest, I was a skeptic.

I'll start posting pictures with my next cook, the last one was for my son's graduation party and they went quickly!

I always use Baby Backs for this recipe.

(1) Cut the ribs into individual rib pieces and sprinkle them with Killer Hogs AP Rub and Eat BBQ Zero-To-Hero rub. I usually don't even let them sit in the fridge. I do this while the smoker is heating to 235.

(2) I smoke one side for 1 hour, 15 minutes and then turn and smoke the other side for 1 hour, 15 minutes.

(3) I get two big sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. I do two "packs" of wrapped rib pieces, each with 1/2 cup of Stubb's Moppin Sauce. I double wrap each "pack" tight, insuring no tears, etc. I put them back on the smoker for an hour.

(4) I then pull them from the packs, drain the liquid, and mix them in a bowl to coat in BBQ sauce and put them back on the smoker for 30 minutes, flipping halfway thru.

I know this totals up to 4.5 hours, but when I did for less time I just couldn't get them to a clean bite tenderness. The family LOVES this way and they've said don't go back to the traditional method. I've been smoking meats for a long time, and I prefer these ribs to any other method. I know - hard to believe.

Comment

• Rod
              Rod
              Club Member
              • Dec 2015
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • Weber Genesis S330 with GrillGrates
                Weber Performer with SnS, DnG and Pit Viper mod
                Weber 26" kettle with SnS and Pit Viper mod
                PBC
                Blackstone 36" SS griddle

Fireboard
                Thermoworks Smoke
                Thermoworks MK4
                Maverick ET-732

Accessories ranging from a Vortex to bear claws.

The last two times I've done these, they tend to be a little drier than all my other previous cooks. The only difference is I did them on my Weber 22" kettle with the SnS. All other previous cooks were done on my Rec Tec. Should I maybe add water to the SnS reservoir? I know there is varied opinions on the effects/benefits of water pans and the like.

Comment

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d just keep doing them on the Rec Tec.

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                I've moved on from pellet grills.

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                If they are too dry then your temperature may be too high, or the timing has run too long. If you are sure you’re at 225f then maybe try a shorter time. It took me many tries to get the timing right.
            • Hugh
              Club Member
              • Jun 2017
              • My setup:
                Gas Grill - Weber Genesis II 310
                GrillGrates (2 flipped over for searing)
                Anova Sous Vide
                22" Kettle with SnS and Drip/Griddle
                Thermapen Mk4
                iGrill2 with 4 probes

I like doing my ribs on my PBC. Not being able to hang them introduces some choices (I don't have any accessory that allows me to hold the individual ribs from a hanger).

Has anyone cooked these on the grill of the PBC? I have no ideas what the timing would be. If I cook baby backs with a lot of loin meat could I just cook with a therm to 203?

How many racks of ribs can you put on a 14" grill when done as individuals?

I do have my 22" kettle with SnS, but it just seems wrong not to use that PBC for ribs. I'm guessing you could get two racks worth of ribs on the indirect side of the kettle?

Comment

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                Hugh The first several times I used this method was on a pellet grill. Turned out perfect every time. I've since gotten rid of the pellet grill in favor of kettles with fan controls. So the last 2 cooks on the kettle came out a bit dry. Perfectly edible, just not as moist. So the next time I'll try it with water in the reservoir. If that doesn't help, I'll try shortening the time. I think there is more moist air in the cook chamber with pellet grills versus charcoal cookers.

• Hugh
                Hugh commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not 100% certain about this, but it seems to me the PBC has alot more moisture in it than the Kettle with SnS. I cooked up some beef ribs on both a couple of nights ago and my glasses fogged up when I lifted the lid of the PBC. Totally different than lifting the lid on the kettle. It wasn't a fair comparison because of the ribs on the kettle had been frozen, but it seems to me that the barrel is a very moist environment

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                Hugh I think the PBC provides more moisture to the food as you are cooking right over the coals. The drippings hit the coals and then creates a flavor fog that ascends back up to the food creating sort of a moisture blanket.
            • HawkerXP
              Club Member
              • Jul 2016
              • Northern Virginia
              • 3 Weber kettles, and a PBC
                Thermopop
                Dot w two probes
                Slo n Sear
                Cold beer

Click image for larger version  Name:	47EEF687-69AA-4633-B87C-9F9FFB20FB17.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	710639Click image for larger version  Name:	FE553E1A-54D2-4998-8CDD-3781AD3C61FB.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.32 MB ID:	710638 I think this is a great method for people who don’t have a PBC or just want to do one rack. Here are 3 babybacks done in 3 hours on my PBC. I don’t sauce my wibs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
              See more
              See less
              Working...
              X
              Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
              Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
              This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order