Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with steamed spinach in butter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated12.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	669467

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close12.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	669466

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't work for Smithfield by any chance?

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      No, but I once had to be right next to one of their plants. My god did the air reek of hickory smoke flavor.

Lol so I take it that ya don’t use hickory much for smokin

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a pellet that is a combo of maple, hickory and cherry.

Can these be done on a gas grill? And if so would you use Grill Grates? Amazn smoker tube (pellets)? Indirect heat? Direct low heat? Thanks, I'm a newb.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      ByTor Grillgrates are really intended for direct grilling - not indirect cooking. If you have a full set and want to cook indirect on gas, you will need to "break" the heat conductivity by separating the panels with a gap between the direct and indirect section of the gas grill. If you don't separate the panels, the heat conducts from one end of the grill surface to the other. I had this discussion with Grillgrates customer service when I first got them myself.

Originally posted by ByTor View Post
    Can these be done on a gas grill? And if so would you use Grill Grates? Amazn smoker tube (pellets)? Indirect heat? Direct low heat? Thanks, I'm a newb.
    They can as long as you can keep the heat fairly constant at 225f. Definitely set up for two zone indirect heating. Plenty of info on that on the main AR site. For smoke you’d use a tube or wood chunks.
    Last edited by mgaretz; May 11, 2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post

They can as long as you can keep the heat fairly constant at 225f. Definitely set up for two zone indirect heating. Plenty of info on that on the main AR site. For smoke you’d use a tub or chips.
      Thanks and sorry another question. I know a lot of people add water to the grill setup to mimic a smoker. Would you think that is necessary for this? Also, since some seem to prefer them just a little more tender have you considered using foil or butcher paper the last half?

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        No and no. That should be tube, not tub, and wood chunks not chips.
        Last edited by mgaretz; May 11, 2019, 08:39 AM.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I smoke on my gasser frequently. I used to just use one of those metal boxes that you soak wood chips in and place them on the burner. I recently picked up an Amazn tube, and have been using that, actually, used both a couple times. Gas grills aren't airtight (for safety reasons), so you don't get a heavy smoke taste, but I find it pleasant enough. I have never used a water pan, but one of these days I'll get around to trying that too.

Tried these today, turned out very good. I made the Memphis dust today so maybe it was more potent since it was fresh, but I thought the rub overpowered the meat flavor a bit, before the rub I hit them with some kosher salt. Next time I would just put the rub on the meat side instead of all over, also I didn't have time to let it sit with rub for 6 hrs but obviously still did the trick. I had a bit of trouble keeping temp steady at 225 because of wind, ranged a bit higher at times, and I only threw one tin foil baggy of hickory chips on. Used sweet baby rays sweet and spicy sauce. Very happy with bite, not fall of the bone but easy to chew. Was a hit with family, I would make again for company.

Thanks for your idea
      Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe Meathead has a "show us your rib face". That one is a winner!!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking cook! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Blasphemy ribs yet, yet again. Served with steamed spinach with butter and a glass of Lodi Zin for dessert.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated13.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	678845

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close13.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	678844

Comment

I'm going to blaspheme for my first shot at ribs using charcoal and a Weber 22, 2 baby back racks. Need advice on smoke. I'm planning on using pecan. Should I use chunk or chips and how many chunks or applications of chips? I don't want to over-smoke. Another wood better? Thanks.

Comment

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          I just did some up last night for dinner. I used peach (3 pieces about 2 x 2 inches). Cook took 3 hours from lighting charcoal to plate. Weber 22 and S&S. The only way I do ribs now.

I have updated the first post in this thread with more detail on the recipe and procedures. So check it out!

Thanks to all of you that have tried this recipe and for all the positive comments! Keep up the Blasphemy!

Comment

• RolfTaylor
          RolfTaylor commented
          Editing a comment
          The current post is nicely detailed and I appreciate the time you took to develop, tweak, and especially share this. Especially for ribs a fast approach makes a lot of sense. I did not run across it until a few hours after my most recent rib cook, wish I had discovered it just a bit sooner. Definitely will be trying soon.

You just gave me an excuse to buy grill pans!

Comment

@mgaretz: first, thanks for developing this recipe and keeping us all informed.
          I plan on blaspheming 3 Costco baby back racks on my KBQ for the family tomorrow. Question: have you or anyone tried cutting into two rib pieces? This would let them sit bone down, and you could coat three sides. Plus less ‘sticking’ to the pan. If so, did the time change?
          Thanks
          Daniel

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting idea

I've done these Blasphemy Ribs three times now. I waited to post until I feel I got it perfected from my family's standpoint.

First of all, a HUGE thanks to mgaretz for turning me on to this process. I would have never tried it on my own, and I will be honest, I was a skeptic.

I'll start posting pictures with my next cook, the last one was for my son's graduation party and they went quickly!

I always use Baby Backs for this recipe.

(1) Cut the ribs into individual rib pieces and sprinkle them with Killer Hogs AP Rub and Eat BBQ Zero-To-Hero rub. I usually don't even let them sit in the fridge. I do this while the smoker is heating to 235.

(2) I smoke one side for 1 hour, 15 minutes and then turn and smoke the other side for 1 hour, 15 minutes.

(3) I get two big sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. I do two "packs" of wrapped rib pieces, each with 1/2 cup of Stubb's Moppin Sauce. I double wrap each "pack" tight, insuring no tears, etc. I put them back on the smoker for an hour.

(4) I then pull them from the packs, drain the liquid, and mix them in a bowl to coat in BBQ sauce and put them back on the smoker for 30 minutes, flipping halfway thru.

I know this totals up to 4.5 hours, but when I did for less time I just couldn't get them to a clean bite tenderness. The family LOVES this way and they've said don't go back to the traditional method. I've been smoking meats for a long time, and I prefer these ribs to any other method. I know - hard to believe.

Comment

The last two times I've done these, they tend to be a little drier than all my other previous cooks. The only difference is I did them on my Weber 22" kettle with the SnS. All other previous cooks were done on my Rec Tec. Should I maybe add water to the SnS reservoir? I know there is varied opinions on the effects/benefits of water pans and the like.

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              I've moved on from pellet grills.

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              If they are too dry then your temperature may be too high, or the timing has run too long. If you are sure you’re at 225f then maybe try a shorter time. It took me many tries to get the timing right.

• RolfTaylor
              RolfTaylor commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep in mind, the well proven 225 degrees in mgaretz's recipe might be something else on your cooker. I would probably try 10 degrees cooler next time. It is fairly well documented that temperatures don't translate well (and thermometers are not always accurate) for that is where I would experiment.

I like doing my ribs on my PBC. Not being able to hang them introduces some choices (I don't have any accessory that allows me to hold the individual ribs from a hanger).

Has anyone cooked these on the grill of the PBC? I have no ideas what the timing would be. If I cook baby backs with a lot of loin meat could I just cook with a therm to 203?

How many racks of ribs can you put on a 14" grill when done as individuals?

I do have my 22" kettle with SnS, but it just seems wrong not to use that PBC for ribs. I'm guessing you could get two racks worth of ribs on the indirect side of the kettle?

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Hugh The first several times I used this method was on a pellet grill. Turned out perfect every time. I've since gotten rid of the pellet grill in favor of kettles with fan controls. So the last 2 cooks on the kettle came out a bit dry. Perfectly edible, just not as moist. So the next time I'll try it with water in the reservoir. If that doesn't help, I'll try shortening the time. I think there is more moist air in the cook chamber with pellet grills versus charcoal cookers.

• Hugh
              Hugh commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not 100% certain about this, but it seems to me the PBC has alot more moisture in it than the Kettle with SnS. I cooked up some beef ribs on both a couple of nights ago and my glasses fogged up when I lifted the lid of the PBC. Totally different than lifting the lid on the kettle. It wasn't a fair comparison because of the ribs on the kettle had been frozen, but it seems to me that the barrel is a very moist environment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Hugh I think the PBC provides more moisture to the food as you are cooking right over the coals. The drippings hit the coals and then creates a flavor fog that ascends back up to the food creating sort of a moisture blanket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	47EEF687-69AA-4633-B87C-9F9FFB20FB17.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	710639Click image for larger version  Name:	FE553E1A-54D2-4998-8CDD-3781AD3C61FB.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.32 MB ID:	710638 I think this is a great method for people who don’t have a PBC or just want to do one rack. Here are 3 babybacks done in 3 hours on my PBC. I don’t sauce my wibs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here