Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a couple door hinge pins for my KBQ at work today. It’s just a piece of 1/4 stainless rod with 2 snap ring grooves in it to go on either side of the door. (Don’t mind the dirty KBQ lol)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB488866-D071-44EA-93F6-B3CC803A340D.jpeg
Views:	625
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	593626

Name:	99C0FBC6-7575-4293-85E1-ADC93E69798F.jpeg
Views:	640
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	593625

Name:	3EF9FF42-D515-4EF7-908A-CF9761B6FCBC.jpeg
Views:	626
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	593624

Originally I made the stick out 1/8”, but it was too much. I knew it might be. I cut it down to about 1/16” and it fits nice now. Slightly bending the door, not enough to cause permanent deformation though, and it pops in and out. I’ll probably remake them out of larger stock to eliminate the outside snap ring and just put a shoulder on it. Also, it fits a little wobbly in the door holes. May or may not be a good thing. Gonna use it as is for a few cooks and cleanings and see what I think.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!
      So as long as the clips stay in place, they shouldn't get misplaced,
      Very cool idea!
      -
      Be sure and let us know if they continue to hold the door securely.
      I suppose if they don't, a slight tweak outwards on the door edges will put all back in the pink.
      Great idea Rfuilrez!

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      So to install or remove the door, I gather that one would...
      1) Simply open or hold the door horizontally.
      2) Grasp the door edges outside and next to the pivot holes.
      3) Slightly bow both sides inward together towards the middle.
      4) Lift to remove door.
      Or... press the door downward to locate the pins and install the door.
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 19, 2018, 10:31 PM.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      I made up a print from your description and was considering asking the CNC guys to run a few sets off. How incredible that we seem to be on the same "wavelength".

I have been using the "Quick Pins" and so far, other than being a bit wobbly they seem to work fine. I DO like the mod you just made though. I have access to several lathes and slitter/part-off tools that would work well to cut the grooves.
    -
    However, you COULD sell these sweet pins to the others here without full machine shop access.
    Here below is my imagined pin that your guys or mine could build on a CNC lathe.

Name:	Custom Door Pin - 2.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	595672

So Rfuilrez I will tell you that my guys "hate" single-pointing thread,
    but will do it if in a bind.
    -
    This second sketch shows threads versus the slot.
    A washer and a nut will lock it up nicely.
    I am thinking 300 series Stainless on all parts.
    -
    They would run this as a 3/8" diameter bar and extend it about 1/2" to a stop.
    Turn, single-point and then part off and use a tray to catch the parts as the conveyor takes them out.
    -
    I too am a manual mill, manual lathe guy, but I go thru, correct, and then sign-off on the instructions for CNC and all other machine production procedures daily.
    -
    What do you think sir?
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 20, 2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
      Rfuilrez commented
      Editing a comment
      Your model looks a whole lot better than my sketch on a piece of scrap paper! I think it will work real nice once we get some made to try out.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to it.
      As mentioned earlier, GREAT idea!

If you lose your coal bed in your KBQ firebox during a cook, that bed can be a royal pain to quickly build back up to size and cover those fire box grate holes.
    You seriously NEED all holes WELL covered with a THICK bed of coals to get your heat back up for your cook.

- - -

You may lose about 45 minutes to an hour, however...
    A chimney load of hot coals is really what is needed to rebuild that "dead" coal bed.
    Playing around trying to do this in the KBQ while meat is in there is a real drag.
    Trust me, I KNOW this from this weekends cook, as I was tired, it was 3:00 a.m. and I simply could not get my temperature up to 230°F for my rib cook after I slept thru my alarm and let the coal bed lapse.
    -
    My experience and advice is to not even try to add kindling and rebuild that bed.
    You will be fighting a battle that is incredibly hard to win.
    -
    I like these 10 steps to success.
    1) Shut off the power to the controller.
    2) I then add a few pieces of kindling to get some flames going if possible or use a torch to help add more heat to ignite the kindling.
    3) Being careful to not smother my "baby" flames, I add some larger wood.
    4) I then switch the power back on to the controller.
    5) Now I go and quickly fill a chimney with lump or charcoal.
    6) I place that chimney load of charcoal or lump on top of the KBQ fire box.
    (The coals will easily and quickly be lit with no need for paper)
    7) After awhile and it is going well, I turn off the power again to the controller.
    8) Then. use my fire tongs to remove the larger wood from the firebox.
    9) Close up both poppets and pour the hot and ready coals into the firebox.
    10) Finally I add the smoldering wood I removed, and restore power.
    -
    In less than one hour, all is well again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cropped Photo 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	505.0 KB ID:	594314

If you look closely, you can see that I scorched the handle.
    Just keep it back a ways from the flames and you will be okay.

UPDATE:
    Below is a unit you can add to your Propane tank and hose for starting that chimney.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 20, 2018, 11:10 PM.

Comment

BBQ_Bill yep that’s exactly right. Flexing the door is enough to let them pop in or out. Im gonna ask the CNC guys what it would take to run off about 20-30 pairs of them on the CNC lathe once I get a design I’m happy with. I’m just a manual mill/lathe guy.

This is how I start coals for all my bbq needs. It’s also how I recover from letting my coal bed die out. 1-2minutes with the regulator at full rip and wood or charcoals are ready to use. For starting my cook at the beginning I put it on a lowish flame and let it burn for about 5minutes.

I just put wood in there. Never even bother with lump for the KBQ.
      It’s a $12 turkey frier burner from Amazon on a 0-20psi adjustable regulator hose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E961C932-DAAD-4405-99B7-8F75D82CF405.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.84 MB ID:	594361
      Last edited by Rfuilrez; November 18, 2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a Bayou BG-12 Burner?

• Rfuilrez
        Rfuilrez commented
        Editing a comment
        I can get you a drawing of how it’s currently made, and and updated, 2.0 version of you want.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely. LUV it!
        Bought it, and hope it comes in soon!
        ============================
        UPDATE:
        All items arrived, and this thing works great!
        Modified mine for "Quick" Disconnects".
        Using them to attach the burner like yours to get the lump and wood going, and then popping that off and attaching the big torch for searing as needed.
        VERY Sweet setup indeed!
        Quick and easy.
        Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 5, 2018, 09:52 PM. Reason: Items arrived, assembled, tested, did the happy dance, and reported success here.

I went to my local Home Depot and was looking for a hose for my Weed Burner.
      (Burned a small hole in the hose somehow - being stupid actually)
      So...
      I'm a step behind you, as I was holding the chimney up and "Roaring" this monster torch under the chimney.
      After a couple times, I thought... I need a burner to sit this thing on.
      So I started looking for a good one.
      Then, I simply started resting the chimney on my KBQ fire box to heat coals up for the next one, and so on and so forth.
      -
      So just wood huh?
      I kind of like that Rfuilrez

==============================
      Photos show it best.
      Charcoal on left, wood on right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Oh Yeah!!.jpg Views:	1 Size:	280.8 KB ID:	603204Click image for larger version  Name:	I Like!.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,013.4 KB ID:	603205

​​​​​​​I LIKE! (A lot)
      -
      UPDATE:
      Forgot to mention that I am using LP Gas "Quick-Connect/Disconnect" fittings so that I can quickly and easily change back and forth from the Weed-burner (Searing Torch) to the burner/wood and charcoal lighter as shown above.
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 14, 2018, 10:26 AM. Reason: Added some UPDATE info

Comment

• Rfuilrez
        Rfuilrez commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah just wood. I didn’t have any lump when I first got my KBQ and just used wood the first time. Figured it’s easier than making sure I have lump. I’ll always have wood for it though.

BBQ_Bill

Im sure any of them will work fine. The specific one I have is this

King Kooker WKAF2B Low Pressure Burner with Orifice https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047O3PSO

And this hose

KIBOW 0~20PSI High Pressure...
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHD9YKP

Comment

So I am looking at your photo, and am reading " BG-12 HOT"
        I searched a bit and am thinking it is just the burner, with no base, right?

Comment

• Rfuilrez
          Rfuilrez commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. I just set the burner on the ground and use 3 bricks to sit my chimney on. It may be easier if it’s a actual frier setup for some one who uses it a bunch, as you wouldn’t have to manually place the bricks and whatnot. But it works for me. And bricks are cheap compared to a frier base.

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely. The price for a burner, base, hose and regulator is way up there.

I am sold my friend.
        Just bought one like yours.
        Went HERE
        -
        Thanks for the info, as this will do a great job.
        (Oh, and I have lots of spare bricks)

Comment

Anyone that doesn't already have a lot of spare bricks or a spare regulator hose might want to get this one as it includes the burner/stand/regulator for just $30: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/out...ildCatid=27742

Comment

• Rfuilrez
            Rfuilrez commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a pretty good deal! Thanks for posting.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, when I saw their prices, I looked them up in scam reports and BBB.
            They have some good and some bad reports.
            I went ahead and bought the burner.
            Did not see the whole "enchilada" you found.
            Great price indeed!

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Academy is a legit store. They're a chain store with lots of physical locations. None in my area tho but I have ordered a few things from their website and have never had a problem.

Needing some advice from those who have smoked a whole turkey in their KBQ.
          Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Guess your first decision will be whether you can fit it in spatchcocked, as that will be the fastest cook.

Let me back up - first you need to find out the expectations of your audience regarding format.

BTW, I have not done one in the KBQ yet.

I spoke with KBQ
          He recommended 325°F to 350°F.
          -
          Don't try to put "Monster" birds in there he says if you are doing two at one time in each machine.
          -
          Basically reinforced the fact that it will cook quicker due to the machine being a Convection Oven.
          -
          Keep them towards the door...
          and higher in the machine as it is cooler at the top and hotter at the bottom.
          -
          Oil the surface.
          -
          Pull at about 160°F as carryover will take it to 165°F.
          -
          The legs and breast cook faster than the thigh?
          Hmmm... hopefully he will chime in and get all this corrected...
          -
          EIGHT smoked turkeys at one time would be a HOOT!
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 20, 2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Ricardo
            Ricardo commented
            Editing a comment
            Well... technically speaking, that would be a "rafter" 🤓
            Let us know how they turn out. I may give it a try too, but would have to be a small 🦃.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            UPDATE: My brother-in-law told me that he had a turkey in his smoker, so I took it easy and just ate this time instead of cooking.

Got my door pins version 2.0 done today. Haven’t had a chance to install them but I have high hopes they’ll work real nice.

Name:	645DA8BA-6633-4693-BD12-A4FDD2F2D9C6.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	595869

Comment

You Rock Rfuilrez!

Comment

BBQ_Bill

Thank you for starting and contributing to these discussions. I’ve got to tell you, I’m happy with the KBQ, still learning of course, but your posts and tangible way of sharing your experiences have added what I would call an accelerated appreciation for the KBQ, for these forums and the overall interest in participating in these discussions. I can tell you like to share your knowledge and I want you to know that we appreciate it big time.
              Thank you,
              Sincerely,
              Ricardo

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                So kind of you @Ricardo.
                Thank you and hope this Thanksgiving time off is one where you are able to enjoy special time with family and friends.
                You are most welcome in regards to the KBQ help, and yes, I am most happy when being able to share, whatever it may be.
                It is my fun time.
                Bill

BBQ_Bill

I got my door pins installed today. Bout to fire the KBQ up to do thanksgiving turkey. Was sick yesterday so we postponed it. I believe we got a winning design here.

Name:	C4A150D9-E605-4513-8EFC-B0BBF8DC3F7D.jpeg
Views:	585
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	596697

Name:	0860018A-B95E-4851-867A-4636D580661C.jpeg
Views:	581
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	596696

Name:	53A1744F-3441-446F-AC79-929D47B1F3BB.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	596698

I also made myself a kindling cracker. I like the idea but I wasn’t about to pay $80 or whatever for the small one. I had the wedge. Drilled and tapped a 1/2-13 hole in the bottom. Scrap plate of steel from work. It works for me!

Name:	E526EBBC-E0BF-4745-ABF0-36D46552AA85.jpeg
Views:	560
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	596699

Comment

• Rfuilrez
                Rfuilrez commented
                Editing a comment
                HawkerXP lock washers actually are useless. They actually provide no benefit.

If they end up working great (which after yesterday’s turkey cook, and so far today doing bacon seems like they’re going to do just fine) I will loctite them and probably forget about them lol.

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                to many years in aviation. it looks naked without washer and or locking nut.

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                If Loctite is used, I suggest number 272 red which will go up to 450°F before melting/changing. Most of the others are 300°F before they turn back into a semi-liquid that actually has a pretty good lubricity. Basically to break the bond of Loctite, heat is applied.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here