Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At times Rfuilrez I have had a bit of ash on my briskets, especially on the ends of the meat next to the heat dispersion manifold inside.
    I have actually used my spritz spray (bottle) to rinse the ash off of that end of the meat.
    -
    The top poppet opening is the most likely "culprit" allowing ash to be introduced into the cooking chamber below.

To minimize ash on your smoked products you might consider some of these thoughts I have posted below...
    1) Always allow the draw fan to come to a complete stop before adding wood.
    Also the draw fan should be stopped before tamping down or adjusting wood in the firebox.
    You might also close the top poppet just before adding fresh wood.
    2) After wood has been added, with the draw fan still off, push or pry the freshly added wood towards the end of the firebox opposite to the poppets increasing the gap between the wood and the top poppet opening.
    3) With the firebox being just under 11" inside, cut your logs/splits shorter in length so that there is a greater gap between the end of the wood and the top poppet opening.
    This distances flaking/falling wood ash farther from the poppet opening through which heat and smoke move into the cooking chamber.
    4) Run with the top poppet completely closed during windy smokes/cooks.
    5) Position the meat closer to the door a with the larger gap between the meat and the manifold in the back.
    6) Keep the lid on during the periods of time between wood adds to help shield the wind from blowing ashes in through the top poppet opening.
    7) At times, the cooking chamber temperature may start dropping even though you have sufficient wood in the firebox.
    This is generally caused by clogged holes in the coal tray. When opening these holes, make sure the draw fan is stopped.
    8) Empty the ash from the bottom ash storage area after each cook/smoke and spray/rinse the firebox out with water before storing away.

I have a switch that I use to shut the power off to my KBQ's when needed.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 22, 2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      You are most welcome my friend!
      LUV these machines and LUV sharing whether it is a stupid mistake (Like blowing the KBQ door open) or a discovery (Like a set of COOL door handles).

Yeah I made my logs about this long and have been keeping them that way. I also noticed that I bumped the top poppet valve a couple times and knocked it open. Have a modification in mind for that.

Ive also been diligent about shutting the thermostat down when opening the door and messing with the wood and coals. There was some ash on the sausage I cooked first, but doesn’t look like much if any on the turkey breast I’m smoking right now. Click image for larger version

Name:	6A75B311-FC7B-4547-87C9-EA5AA95720B7.jpeg
Views:	588
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	569562
    Attached Files

Comment

There are several of us using Binder Clamps on the 1/4" bolts.
      They are used to hold the adjusted settings of the Poppets Rfuilrez.
      By using different configurations and sizes, settings can be held fairly well, from closed to various open positions including fully open.
      -
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_73664.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	569643Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_203821.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	569731

Name:	image_73663.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	569644Click image for larger version

Name:	Fully Open - 1.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	569732

The photos above show three configurations I have used.
      3/4", 1-1/4" and 2" Binder Clip sizes are shown, but 2 each of the 1-1/4" wide size will hold the arms of a 2" wide one securely and keep that poppet in most all positions quite nicely.
      -
      Smoke On!
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 22, 2018, 10:30 PM. Reason: Added two more photos and gave a better explanation of uses.

Comment

BBQ_Bill Im thinking to replace the screw with some all threaded screw and putting a nut (red) positioned so that it can can close all the way, a spring (blue) to push the nut and force it closed. And then a wing nut (green) to hold it open to whatever position I want.

Im also going to replace the handle on the lid with something I can get my hand around. That itty bitty eye bolt ain’t enough lol.

Name:	C992FC4D-BE04-415E-B4EF-65245434B9B4.jpeg
Views:	614
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	569658

Comment

I DO like the idea of replacing the eye bolt with something else Rfuilrez
          Currently, I use the fire tending tool, but the lid swings around too much when trying to put it back on the firebox.
          Gonna head to Home Depot and get something.
          THANKS!

Comment

Posted the fruits of my first day cooking on the KBQ in the show us what you’re cooking thread.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...666#post569666

Sausage, turkey breast, and tomahawk ribeye!!

Comment

BBQ_Bill This is what I ended up with. Less than $5 at Home Depot. Couple holes and done. A gloved hand fits nicely.

Name:	B18B0CAD-2503-415D-A83C-8174B039FB1C.jpeg
Views:	593
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	575693

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha. I designed one using the center hole.
              Will post a photo here when done.

• Ricardo
              Ricardo commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for sharing! Looks much user friendly.
              How’s the handleing of the lid... I assume much improved over the original? It must get pretty hot, so a special glove of sorts may be in order. What type or kind of glove are you using?

• Rfuilrez
              Rfuilrez commented
              Editing a comment
              Ricardo It is definitely much better than the original small eye bolt. I use the PBC Pitt mitts for most all of my outdoor cooking and this is no exception. Don’t feel any heat when lifting the lid. Though, I don’t handle it for very long. Just enough to get it off and set it down. I usually hang it from the side of the fire box, I’ll get a picture.

BBQ_Bill This is what I came up with for the poppet valves. I got some long stainless steel bolts and threaded them most of the way up at work (we didn’t have all threaded ones) and added a spring as such.
            McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Name:	DD970A66-46A1-4494-83DB-0684F0D39D24.jpeg
Views:	619
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	577648

Name:	164C62BD-88E7-4608-BCF1-9D17B655B5F1.jpeg
Views:	615
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	577647

You need to use conical springs so they will compress flat. It puts enough tension on the poppet valve to keep it close, or at whatever position I set the wing nut.

Comment

Very cool.
              This should hold the 1/8" open position on the Top Poppet quite nicely.
              I have recently discovered a setting procedure that I really like a lot Rfuilrez
              -
              You can read about it here in the thread named KBQ - The "POPPETS"
              The details of very latest discovery can be found HERE

Comment

Just a note...
                I have stopped using the pivot rods and couplings to hold my KBQ doors in place.
                -
                I am now using two hex bolts, without nuts.
                (Just slide them in to hold the door, and out to remove the door)
                Am finding that it not only works and stays in place long enough for a single smoke, but it is way easier.
                -
                To install, I slide the door into the frame. (In the open position)
                Next, I visually align the 1st door hole with the frame hole.
                Then, I insert the 1st bolt until it bottoms out.
                Finally, I align the 2nd hole and insert the 2nd bolt.
                -
                Bottom Line:
                Quicker, easier, no worries about a "stuck" coupling from dried liquids, and...
                most all hardware stores carry plenty of them in stock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181024_201624.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	583535Click image for larger version  Name:	20181024_201615.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	583536

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This post as seen above was originally in a private message/chat with another member of the KBQ Family. Thought others might be interested as well, so I posted it here for all to view. OH... and again, NO tools needed (Except for your best two. (Your hands)

BBQ_Bill Something like this might work real nice for that

Name:	25FC3655-68B2-4688-AA78-412745AEB193.jpeg
Views:	592
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	583554

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL!
                  (Great minds think alike... OR, pea-brains are usually in the same pod)

If you want something "Fancy" I will be selling these shortly at my cost. (After prototype Testing is completed)

Name:	idea.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	583556

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Timcee
                  You got it my friend.
                  They are 316 Stainless Steel, so they are pretty rust resistant and should work, but we will see how WELL they work. Most of the ones I found were too long (in my opinion) so I am going with the shorter ones.

• Timcee
                  Timcee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BBQ_Bill I tried the bolts and they were too long but I love the idea of this vs the bolts anyway.. Can't wait! Taking the bolts off today was a real trial.. ended up splitting fingers (2). So I'm def highly anticipating these!

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang man.
                  I don't know how you were hurt but that sux bigtime!
                  Sorry to hear this for sure.
                  -
                  I use bolts in all of mine, no nuts... just slide them in and close the door.
                  When done, pull them out and throw the door in the tub to soak.

@Rfuilrez
                I already have some of these stainless steel pins on order, and thought I would try them out before offering them as a good fastener for the doors.
                As it is, I am pretty satisfied with the $.05 bolts.

Comment

Rfuilrez
                  Was just now thinking... (I know, it could be dangerous for me to do such)
                  However, I do have several other KBQ projects.
                  They are mostly sitting on "Back Burners" due to the priorities in my life at this time.
                  You are the "inventor type" from what I have seen, no?
                  Maybe we can "collaborate" and get some of these KBQ mods available for the KBQ Family?
                  Am thinking there are quite a few members that have announced their ownership of KBQ's in the ComfortablyNumb Roll Call thread at this time...
                  -
                  It might be good to have another KBQ owner working on these.
                  What do you think?
                  -
                  Basically, NO machine that I have come into contact with is perfect.
                  Even the "mighty KBQ" has several shortcomings and flaws.
                  To list them here in this thread might stir up ideas from several members of the KBQ community.
                  1) Ashes and coals fall out when tamping the firebox and adding wood.
                  These coals and ashes fall on the topside of the machine, as well as some coals falling on the ground/deck/floor/grass (whatever)
                  My "Smoking Shoes" have plenty of melted spots on the soles from stepping on hot coals.
                  -
                  2) An auto-feeder, whether it be wood, chunks, or smaller pieces of hardwood is something many have thought about and ideas abound.
                  -
                  3) A hinge grill top and a hinge lid, one on each side of the firebox is another idea.
                  They slide into the sides and slide out, but are available to use quickly when needed.
                  -
                  4) The KBQ's lid eye-bolt when lifted by the stainless steel fire prod/tool is not stable and rotates when attempting to replace the lid.
                  I have a prototype with a piece of angle welded inside that works, but have also found that a certain tong set works very well with NO mod to the original KBQ lid.
                  -
                  I have to get ready for work... but the list I could type here goes on and on...
                  L8tr!
                  Last edited by BBQ_Bill; October 25, 2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
                    Rfuilrez commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah man. I’m a machine builder (high speed automation) by trade and a perpetual tinkerer. If you got ideas, we can roll through them.

I’m new to the KBQ and don’t seem to use it nearly as much as some of you guys so I’m sure you’ve seen more ideas than I have.

• BBQ_Bill
                    BBQ_Bill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sweet! I do gotta run but WILL get back with you on this. THANKS!

Wow!
                  I think up, draw and design prototype machinery for a manufacturer.
                  Then I build, test and put them into production where I work.
                  Too cool that we do similar things for a living!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here