Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The KBQ's Poppet Adjustments can be difficult to know what settings are best and how to set them for various products.
    A new thread has been started, devoted to the KBQ Poppets and the smoke derived from popular settings.
    -
    Go HERE to read what other KBQ owners have said about this important subject.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 21, 2018, 08:21 PM. Reason: Add Link

Comment

So you are thinking of Using GREEN wood in your KBQ?
      Really BBQ Bill?

Howdy my fellow KBQ buddies!
      Hey, I just had a conversation with Mr. Karau where we discussed my thoughts regarding burning green wood in my KBQs.
      -
      My questions were...
      IF there is a good bed of coals in the coal tray, why couldn't you burn green, non-seasoned wood?
      My reasoning was...
      The basic point of the KBQ inverted flame and the well maintained coal bed it to burn large molecule smoke turning it into the highly desirable small molecule blue smoke, so if your fire is hot and well established, the possibly darker sooty smoke from a piece of green wood becomes light blue smoke as it is purified by the KBQ, right?
      -
      Well folks, I am happy to say that Mr. Karau agreed!
      I then said, wouldn't the green wood introduce more moisture into your cooking chamber? (ALSO a good thing)
      Again, there was an affirmation that the moisture level in the cooking chamber would rise from using green wood.
      Bill went on to mention that you would have to make the stack of wood in the firebox taller to dry the wood out as time passed.
      I'm thinking it might even increase the time interval in which we "feed" wood to our KBQs.
      Please post your thoughts on this as in time, I plan to do some experimenting and posting my results here as well.
      Right now I am processing a few cords of green Mesquite and too busy, but will try to find time to BBQ again.

Smoke On!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        My thought is: well run the experiments, Mr. Bill, and let us know how they turn out! Were you an engineer?

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        No, but I work with several every day bro.
        I think they are "rubbing" off on me!

Originally posted by BBQ_Bill View Post
      So you are thinking of Using [SIZE=16px][SIZE=20px]GREEN wood in your KBQ?

Smoke On! ​
      I don't see the wood being able to burn down well enough to make a solid, consistent coal bed. You might have a solid bed when you start out, but I could see it degrading as more green wood is added. My thoughts are that the wood might not have time to break down into coals as all that moisture must be burned off in order for the wood to coal up. I have placed wood in my KBQ that sizzled, because there was still too much moisture in the wood. I found that it did not coal up very well, and I removed it all from my cooking cache and moved it back to the drying rack. That being said, I am curious. And I love this idea. Not trying to rain on the parade here Bill, these are only my initial thoughts on the matter after some limited experience with most wood. I will be really curious to hear what your results are.

I also wonder what the flavor will be like. If you are using the fire to clean the smoke, as the KBQ is designed to do. I wonder how much moisture will actually get through the fire. Will it be noticeable? Will it have a more acrid flavor profile? Not sure, but I await your results, good sir! I love this!

Comment

Should be fun to experiment.
        Will go with chicken, as it is cheap if it is ruined.
        -
        H2o being possible in three states, liquid, solid and a gas, I am thinking all the liquid will be turned into gas, which will pass easily through the hot coals into the cooking chamber.
        Also, the bitter or acrid flavor is most likely creosote which is that heavy sooty smoke molecule.
        In Aaron Franklin's book, he goes into using green wood, and explains that in limited quantities it is fine as long as you keep your fire hot.
        I am hoping bro!

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ_Bill View Post
          Should be fun to experiment.
          Will go with chicken, as it is cheap if it is ruined.
          -
          H2o being possible in three states, liquid, solid and a gas, I am thinking all the liquid will be turned into gas, which will pass easily through the hot coals into the cooking chamber.
          Also, the bitter or acrid flavor is most likely creosote which is that heavy sooty smoke molecule.
          In Aaron Franklin's book, he goes into using green wood, and explains that in limited quantities it is fine as long as you keep your fire hot.
          I am hoping bro!
          On an episode of Man Fire Food Roger interviewed a pit master that said "if you do not use green hickory you might as well use oak". I can not remember the name of the BBQ place or the pit masters name but he seem to mean it.

Comment

Quick question for you KBQ owners. How much space is between each of the slots for the racks? Would it be possible to put 12 racks in, with a whole pork belly on each one and still have sufficient air flow? If not, how about every other one and 6 pork bellies?

I’m contemplating building a stick burner with these plans
            Smoker Plans and Smoker Blueprints show you how to easily build a smoker yourself without making costly mistakes and wasted materials. Choose from over 200 sets of DIY Smoker Plans and easy to understand Designs. Our Smoker Plans include email and phone support so you don't get stuck!

Or picking up a KBQ. The stick burner would give me a lot more versatility and space, but maybe more than I need at the moment. I do large batches of bacon, 6-7 bellies at a time. Currently this takes 3 or so batches in the PBC. If I could do it all at once in the KBQ that would be sweet and maybe I push the smoker build to next year.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              I would dearly LUV to be able to make Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
              I have purchased a large amount of bacon that came from a curly hair Mangalica/Mangalitsa pig.

• KBQ
              KBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              The slot pitch is 43mm and the shelves are about 8mm thick. So you have 35mm or about 1-3/8 in. of room.

• Rfuilrez
              Rfuilrez commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks guys.

Howdy Rfuilrez
            My KBQs have 12 slots in each machine, and they measure about 1-5/8" apart.
            Starting off, I was smoking 4 full packer briskets but the air/smoke flow and heat distribution was not sufficient and I was constantly rotating shelves and product to get even cooking/smoking.
            -
            I went to 3 briskets per machine and all is well.
            That is about 45 pounds of meat per KBQ.
            -
            I hope this helps...
            Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 11, 2018, 11:00 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
              Rfuilrez commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Bill it does. Think I’m going to go with the home built stick burner.

Well, I don’t want to deviate from the OP, but then it is intended to help newbies too, so with that said, I want to ask folks following this thread a few questions.

I’m trying to make up my mind about getting a Lone Star Grillz 24*40 or a KBQ-C60. I want to elevate my BBQ. It’s fun, relaxing and a challenge that I welcome with open arms. I don’t cook for a large group, just my wife and I, and for my daughter when she visits. My wife has taken some BBQ to work, her fellow co-workers enjoy it and that I find very inspiring and just wanting to keep at it. I share with a few neighbors, particularly during the winter time, South Florida winter that is, when folks open their windows to let cool air in and I have the impression that my smoke is potentially bothering them. No one has complained and I hope to keep it that way.

I started with a COS, learned the hard way. After reading a few books, including Meathead’s science of BBQ and grilling, consulting reviews on this website and reading posts made by fellow pit members, I ended up going with a CampChef woodwind pellet cooker. I think my CampChef is awesome, but I want to increase my cooking capacity some more. Not getting rid of the CampChef, just wanting to expand my repertoire like most of you have and continue to do.

1. In your estimation, does the KBQ release more smoke in the atmosphere as compared to a pellet cooker or a COS? Or is it about the same? I get that it depends on the wood, moisture content, fire management, and skills of the pit master, but in general... most of the time... would you say it’s more, equal or less?

2. Noise levels as compared to a pellet cooker. Is it more, equal or less?

Thank you,
            Ricardo

Comment

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              In my experience, it releases less than a big offset smoker. Ultimately because of how efficient the KBQ is, it uses less wood and therefore creates less smoke. That being said...it still does produce that beautiful aroma that we all love.

Noise level is about equal to the sound of my rectec rt680.

I was between EOS or KBQ...KBQ was an excellent decision.

• Ricardo
              Ricardo commented
              Editing a comment
              JakeT, Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated!!!
              I’m chomping at the bit and starting to lean towards KBQ.

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              It really is an awesome cooker. In the future when I have a lot more room I’ll probably end up with an EOS mostly to complete my bbq/smoking collection...but for producing amazing food with the true authenticity of burning sticks...can’t go wrong

Howdy Ricardo
            Smoke levels...
            In my experiences my Cheap Offset Smokers put out less smoke after I learned how to make them work.
            Here is why this is my case...
            I controlled my smoke and fire with the COS smokers by keeping a small but hot fire which produced less dense smoke.
            In order to get that sweet light blue smoke, and a steady temperature of around 250°F, I had to manage/hawk the fire.
            On the other hand...
            My KBQ's run with much more wood burning at any given time.
            This is my choice, and is due to NOT wanting to manage and hawk the fire nor worry about open holes in the coal grate.
            I pile it on until the lid barely closes, loading each KBQ up because I don't care how much wood they use. I have plenty.
            Right after a wood add, they pump out the smoke heavily, and produce barely anything after it has been burning for a bit.
            -
            My neighbors use to worry that their homes were on fire due to the smoke and smell of burning wood.
            Now, because I feed my neighbors delicious meats, they tell me that they love the smell, "Like a camp fire in the forest" one says.
            "It makes me hungry when I smell your smokers, because I know what is coming" says another with a grin.
            -
            Comparing Flavors...
            The pellet grills produce a good product.
            The flavor is good. I know this because I have a brother and a brother-in-law that smoke a lot of meat on them.
            My COS smoker produced a better tasting product according to several that have eaten both products.
            This INCLUDES the pellet grill owners who also openly stated that my smoked meats tasted better than theirs.
            When I switched over to my 1st KBQ smoker, it was unanimous that my products went to a higher level, a better flavor.
            -
            Noise level...
            With all three units running at the same time, we can carry on normal conversations near them with no problems hearing each other.
            -
            BTW... I bought my 1st KBQ in October of 2016 if memory serves me correctly.
            My COS was then retired immediately and is now being used to hold BBQ tools inside out of the weather.
            -
            Thank you for your questions!

Smoke On!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Bill, I enjoy reading your posts. I received my KBQ about one month ago. Question: do you put the lid on while the KBQ is fired up? I thought the lid was just a rain protection device for when you are done. Thanks Daniel

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I enjoy this web site as well. I use the lid for every smoke. Per Mr. Karau, more smoke is available for induction into the cooking chamber.

My fellow KBQ owners... what have you done in hot weather to get more smoke on the product?
            Basically, the colder it is outside, the better AND quicker I get great bark without drying out my brisket.
            So... anyone used an evaporative cooler, or a misting system to cool the cook box?

Comment

I have a newbie question for the KBQ Pit members. I understand Oak is ideal as a heat source, and lots of folks use it with their KBQs. I enjoy cherrywood and when using the COS with lump, I add a few chips or a chunk of cherrywood to help impart its characteristic red smoke ring and mild flavor, particularly early in the cooking process.

How do you accomplish this or something like this? By adding a chunk of cherrywood with the Oak splits early on, every so often?

Thank you,

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                No reason you can't just use cherry for the whole cook.

• Ricardo
                Ricardo commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s true, I failed to mention that it’s looking like it’s not as easy to find cherrywood near my location in South Florida. I’m still looking for it though.

Oak is readily available or easy to source in these parts.

I am still experimenting, but so far there are other KBQ owners that are discovering the same as I... that with thin blue smoke, the wood type loses its distinct flavor and is very hard to distinguish. It seems to take heavier smoke to taste differences.
              There are also others that believe as I, in that the dominate flavor when smoking meats is the smoke itself.
              The type of wood, be it Mesquite or Mulberry, will impart subtle notes of flavor, especially if no (Mr. Hyde" type) of creosote is heavily involved in the cook/smoke.
              Please go to this video HERE and you will find a fellow talk about Mesquite smoked meats using the commercial version of our smokers which is the model KBQ-400.
              Pay attention to about 7:49 into the video where this fellow tells about the meats he has eaten from the KBQ machine that were Mesquite smoked.
              It is very revealing.
              -
              Our KBQ smokers are the ONLY commonly available smokers that can purify and reduce the size of the smoke molecule by drawing it through hot coals.
              No other smoker that I have found for sale does this, period.
              This in my opinion, is the reason why the smoky flavor of the meats produced by our machines is somewhat subtle but as we owners know, is absolutely delicious.
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; January 19, 2019, 09:16 PM. Reason: Added the TYPE of creosote as there IS a difference. ;)

Comment

I noticed while watching "Man, Fire, Food" yesterday, an episode called Cajun Cookouts, at a restaurant called "T-Boys Slaughterhouse". The setup of his smoker is like a larger room sized version of a KBQ. With a fire outside and a fan system that draws the heat and smoke off the fire. Though it’s not through the bottom of the fire

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The simple off-set smoker uses the principle of heat rising to move the smoke across the meat and out through the smoke stack. Using a fan, for convection is actually becoming a more common cooking as well as smoking method.
                  Karau's patented method of actually purifying the smoke, by burning it more completely, is the genius of the KBQ design.

How well does the KBQ do in the wind and cold? I live in Chicagoland and generally smoke food through the winter (though not as often obviously).

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've used it in Feb in NJ a few times - no issues.

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The fact that the KBQ thermostat "asking" for heat means you get smoke as well, bark is WAY better in Winter months.
                  Better flavorful bark is what we all "howl" for!
                  -
                  Wind can cause ash to be blown into the top poppet and onto the meat at times.

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The lid will help keep the firebox better protected from wind, AND gives me better bark. I always put it on right after wood adds and only remove it to make an add, then right back on it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50EC9551-DECE-4814-80D8-38C81BF63AEB.jpeg
Views:	525
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	569484

We have fire!!!

But, when I went to add some meat for a maiden cook, I noticed some ash floating around in the cook chamber. Is this normal? It’s a little windy here. Not steady but random gusts 5-10mph or so. I turned the KBQ so the door was facing into the wind (and then it changed direction) to see if maybe that would help.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good idea. Also shut the thermostat down when you're inspecting the food chamber, then turn it back up when you're done.

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have some thoughts that are too many characters to post in a comment. Please go to page 5 of this topic to read my post regarding ash moving into the cooking chamber of our KBQ's.

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When the door is opened it really shouldn't matter if the exhaust fan is running. With the door opened very little (if any) air is going to be sucked thru the poppets. Like water, air flow follows the path of least resistance and the control fan is just going to suck air from the opened door.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here