Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 20 grand and up depending on options

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      What is?

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      @ComfortabyNumb
      I think he is referring to the Kia Forte. But I could be wrong

KBQ'd Beef ribs! Can't beat it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.jpeg
Views:	647
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1114587

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmmm, beef ribs.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Can’t beat THOSE!

Two of the three slabs of Costco SLC’s I did on the KBQ today. As predicted, they were amazing, and definitely a big step up from my PBC and SnS ribs, although those qualify as ‘very good’. In addition to tasting great, they were noticeably moister and more tender than my usual results. At one point the little woman let out a spontaneous "I’m in love with these ribs!", and I can’t ask for any more than that.

Two racks had MMD on them, and one was just salt and pepper. We both thought the salt and pepper slab was excellent, but not quite as good as the MMD’s.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sid P; October 26, 2021, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SmokeyNate , it sure is!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Sid P both poppets wide open the entire cook? No wrapping?

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper Correct.

A sliced up beef rib off the KBQ is hard to beat. It is still my favorite smoker, after 6 years. It just kills it every time.

Name:	IMG_4040.jpeg
Views:	610
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1116321

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I cooked these for about 5-6 hours. I had the KBQ set at about 275 F average. I find that temp to be about perfect. I wrapped when I had the color I liked, about 180 F in the thickest part of the meat. I used Oak Ridge BBQ's Black Ops for the rub. Both poppets wide open the whole cook, like always. What else you turkeys wanna know? JCBBQ Dr. Pepper

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we're good, now, John. Oh, wait, there's more......What are the last 4 of your SS, the name of your first pet, and your mother's maiden name?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Torture....this is straight beef rib-boarding!!

As I'm a newbie here and also with the KBQ.
    I've been reading about using pecan wood in the KBQ, and would like to know-
    What the deal on using pecan wood in the KBQ ? will it damage it in someway ?
    I like using pecan wood on chicken. Also what a good to catch the grease ?
    And what the best and safest way to clean the KBQ ?
    I live in the Dallas, TX area and it been real windy here of late, so when that cease I'll start my journey.
    Wish me the best my fellow KBQ user. Thank's in advance.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same type of pan which Sid P linked to above. I line it with heavy duty Aluminum Foil, and usually put an inch of water in it, although that is not strictly necessary. And put it in the next to the bottom slot.
      For cleaning, it really helps to be able to remove the rod which the bottom door pivots on. BBQ Bill used to sell SS ferrule which you slipped over the rod after you cut it near the middle. Then remove the door, and easy to clean. I use paint scraper and paper towels.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      lostclusters - the pecan thing is mentioned in their owners manual :

"Mainstay species are hickory, oak, and mesquite, all of which have excellent coaling quality. Typical consumption is 2-4 lbs per hour. Pecan does not coal well and should be avoided."

Though that's not damage of course

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      And, I have been using up a cord of alder, which is sh*t for coaling. Pee Wee Rouk , woods that don't coal well simply burn quickly and then there is nothing left except ashes. It doesn't mean they won't offer a good smoke flavor. But, as an example, in my wood fired pizza oven the Alder has trouble bringing me up to proper temp. When I use fruit wood (apple, pear, cherry: I'm never certain as I pulled it off a burn pile in the orchards), the oven gets hot and stays hot.

Pee Wee Rouk A way the catch grease is using a pan and grate. The pan in the picture will fit in the grate holder of the KBQ. Foil the pan. Put PAM on both sides of the grate. When done with a wire pad take the big pieces off the grate and then put both of them in the dish washer on the pots and pans cycle.They will come out clean.

Name:	20200927_161321.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1117543

Comment

2 Quick BRISKET QUESTIONS

So, not my first brisket, but my first to try QVQ. This will be served for a Texas-style Hanukah in a month, so I will freeze after the SV stage. I am using Ernest guide, but came up with a few of my own questions:

1. I always put a foil lined pan near the bottom to ease clean up. Who puts water in their pan? Opinion? Ernest? Spinaker ? frigate ? Others
      2. I figured if I'm running the KBQ for 5-6 hours today, I might as well throw some St. Louis Rib racks on there. I mean, why waste the smoke! (I picked up the prime brisket and ribs today at Costco.) Would you put the brisket over the ribs, or under, or between? I was thinking the pork fat dripping on top of the brisket might be a nice touch? Although, the pork has more mixed spices, whereas, per Ernest, the brisket only has salt at this point, holding off on the pepper until the final Q the day of the meal.

I'm heating up my KBQ now, and prepping the meat, so y'all need to get on it, and raise your hands soon!

Thanks,

Daniel

btw, the ribs will be eaten today, distributed to the two daughters families and my wife and I. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9380.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	1117857 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9381.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	1117858

Name:	IMG_9382.jpeg
Views:	561
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1117906
      Last edited by Dr. Pepper; October 31, 2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• frigate
        frigate commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a separate water pan in the bottom of the KBQ that holds about 4 gal.. When the internal temp. of the meat is around 170 degrees F I add 2 gal. of hot water.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I always use a stainless hotel pan. It catches everything. Never cook with out it. It keeps the inside of the KBQ nice and clean.
        Here is what I use, my friend. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...p/4070029.html

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        When I cook multiple meats I load them according to how they’re spiced. Brisket only gets salt and pepper here, so it’s on the top. If I’m doing a butt or ribs those usually get MMD, and I don’t want all that dripping on my brisket, so it stays on the bottom.

I have another competition coming up next Saturday and I always have cooked my ribs on my KBQ best I ever placed was third. So I thought I need to try something new. Most winning comp cooks ive noticed in my area use barrels so today I did a test run with my barrel. They were good but I was missing the delicious oak smoke seasoning I get from my KBQ. So I decided to hell with the judges I still want to win but I'm not going to compete on anything but but my KBQ I'll change something else not the cooker. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        If they like that charcoal flavor, add a little to the KBQ box through out the cook. Nothing wrong with that. Just do not over load it. Might help?

So, I cleaned up my control box this weekend. I wish I had taken pictures of how bad it was when I started cleaning it. I took the fans and all the hardware off and sprayed them with HD oven cleaner.

Then I sprayed the whole body with the same and let it sit. I made sure to plug all the holes that go down into the control box to make sure nothing ran down inside the controller. Another thing to make sure you do to wrap the fan shafts so nothing runs down into the bearings.

I tell you what, that thing cleaned up like brand new. I had to use a brass brush to clean around the shafts and around the temp coil, but the controller looked like brand new. So nice to have stuff nice and shiny again. I need to remind myself to clean it more often. Next will be the cook box and shelve holders. I will gove that a good spray down with the oven cleaner and then hit it with the power washer.

Next time I will take pictures of the control box before I clean it. When I get home, I can post a pic of what it looks like after only one cook.

Maintenance is key folks!

Comment

• Bruceski44
        Bruceski44 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's probably obvious to most, but the cap nuts on the propeller shafts are reverse-threaded. Righty-loosey.

Also, there's been some discussion that a dirty coil spring thermometer may result in large temperature swings. I haven't verified this myself. That's for my next cook and my freezer's full.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, and those nuts are tough to find. I ordered some because I am afraid if I loose them I cant get them at the store. I could not find them at any of my hardware stores. Reverse/Fine Thread stainless, tough item to find. As for the coil, I do notice it runs tighter when the coil is clean, but not all that much so. Just my personal experience. Either way, it is always a good idea to keep things clean. @Bruseki44

Since Spinaker’s making me feel guilty 😫, how often do I need to clean the cook and control boxes? Thanks.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You can clean that as little or as much as you want, I guess. I use a hotel service pan to catch all the grease. So mine is usually pretty clean. But I take the door off and hose it out after every cook. I will spray the inside with oven cleaner every other cook or so. The cook box takes a lot less maintenance. I just like to see that clean, stainless. Sid P

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as you aren't smelling Oven Off on your ribs!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, make sure to give it a real good rinse.

I would pressure wash my cook box after each use, the day after a cook.

Comment

First beef ribs cook!

I wanted to post here as a way of showing my gratitude to this thread. There’s a lot of wisdom that only comes from experience, which I don’t have (new kbq owner). So after reading through all of 114 pages twice and taking the advice someone posted about organizing everything on my notes app I learned a lot before my first cook on this smoker:
        • how to best clean the KBQ
        • coal bed management
        • Log sizing
        • Different poppet set ups
        • Water pan set up with lava rocks
        • How to avoid bigger than normal temp swings and how to correctly get the smoker up to temp
        • Hot spots (bottom and closer to the manifold)
        • Recipes on pulled pork, beef ribs, brisket and chicken
        • Different techniques, QVQ, etc
        • Setting another probe to get a proper temp reading of inside cooking chamber
        • Importance of resting and holding and different ways of doing it
        • And many more stuff I can’t remember right now
        So, I wanted to give back by posting my first beef rib cook and maybe adding on stuff I’ve picked up from other places or myself. Special thanks to BBQ_Bill Ernest Spinaker frigate ComfortablyNumb for kindly sharing with us advice, recipes and insights on anything KBQ related! Excuse any typos, although I had the pleasure of living in the US as an international college student in New York, english is not my first language.

Spray:
        • Half water
        • Half apple cider vinegar
        • And I eyeballed a little bit of Worcestershire sauce
        Rub:
        I add my rub in three layers because if I mix everything up on the same shaker It’s difficult to sprinkle all ingredients accordingly.
        • I used Diamond Krystal Kosher salt. I salt separately (by weight or thickness) and in this cook I dry brined for 24hrs. According to Joe Yim, Morton’s is better for brisket, beef ribs (the big ones) and pork shoulder and Diamon Krystal for thinner cuts.
        • Black pepper 16 mesh I also add separately. This I buy from Amazon or grind a fresh batch myself to about the same size.
        The rest of the rub I mix in one shaker (this yields enough for 1 cook, u can see if you like it):
        • 3 parts/3TBSP lawry’s seasoned salt
        • 1 part/1TBSP granulated garlic
        • 1/3 parts/1TSP Ajinomoto this is umami seasoning monosodium glutamate (you can find it on Amazon or Chinese market)
        • 1 part/1TBSP premium quality paprika
        • 1 part/1TBSP dehydrated granulated beef rib stock (Amazon or South American market) brands: Maggie’s or Rancheros
        Don’t add too much seasoning (I’m talking about the rest of the ingredients besides salt and pepper) it’s unnecessary and it might prevent some smoke penetration. If you use clean smoke and cool the ribs on the freezer you’ll get a beautiful bark and a smoke ring.

Game plan:
        1. Smoked them with white oak (20-25% moisture content) and "little orange" wood (10-12%) at 215-240F (temp swing range). After 1.5hrs I closed the top poppet and kept bottom opened.
        2. Started spritzing at 150F internal temp every 45 min until 175F then every 20min until 190F.
        3. I wrap with smoked beef lard and a little spray until they hit 200F internal or probe tender.
        I rest them wrapped for ~35min at ambient temp and then placed them in a pre warmed cooler with towels (still wrapped) for 2hrs before I couldn’t wait to dig in. They were incredible! I mean it’s not like a have a point of reference lol first time cooking these and haven’t tried beef ribs at all before. So, I’m guessing they can probably be A LOT better if I keep practicing. Can’t wait to visit LaBarbecue and Franklin bbq so I’ll know how much better I need to get. Any extra advices would be appreciated. I can only find "choice" beef ribs here (Ecuador) and they are not as thick as the ones I would like to smoke. I fly to Miami a couple times a year so I’ll make sure to bring back a bag full of briskets and beef ribs.

In retrospect, I could’ve taken better pictures lol no after effects or anything lime that though, just an iPhone 12’s camera.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by bbqFRVA1992; November 13, 2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          ¡Bienvenida! To this amazing community, and to the KBQ owners.
          Your ribs look incredible: Moist, great bark, smoke ring.
          And, your fogón (?quincho?) is beautiful. The KBQ looks right at home.
          Glad to have you here.
          Daniel

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on your successful first cook! Great pics and write up!

• RayBecue
          RayBecue commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqFRVA1992 great post and pics. Im a new kbq owner. Looked through the thread but couldnt find a couple of the tips you mentioned. Would you mind sharing the tips for How to avoid bigger than normal temp swings and how to correctly get the smoker up to temp. Thx.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate the kind words. Yeah! Thanks it’s for direct heat grilling. I use it for large cooks only and prefer a 22” Weber for smaller meals. Having a lid, let’s you concentrated a little more of the charcoal flavor on whatever you are grilling.

Comment

Great write up!!!!! Glad the first beef rib cook went well! The only beef ribs I have made have been choice, so I think you are good there. (Although I do have some beef ribs that are prime for the day after Thanksgiving.)

White oak is my favorite wood to smoke with when it comes to beef. Hands down.

I also like that play with the spritz. I usually go equal parts, Liquid Aminos, Water and Champagne Vinegar. I will have to put some Worstishire in for my next cook, great call.

Comment

I spent a whole year checking out reviews for a backyard smoker and finally settled on the PBC. I have had no complaints about anything that has come out of that drum for the last 3 years, but the stories and pictures that all of you KBQ owners have posted here has got me itching. The problem is...if I get one more piece of equipment for the back patio, my wife may just murder me. So as time goes by, if you don't see any further posts from me, you know what I did. Please call 911 and tell them to look under the 9 foot garden box in the back yard.
            ​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here