Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon.

One full 9 lb belly, fat cap cut off and cut into 3 slabs. Two became Meathead's Maple recipe, and one Simple (regular). I did a test to check wood smoke flavors. One of the Maples and the Simple were both cooked on the SnS with cherry wood. The other Maple was cooked on the other SnS with hickory. Taste testing them hot off the smoker, my son & I like the cherry wood better. But that doesn't at all mean the hickory isn't good, it IS!! Hickory is just far stronger by comparison. Of course hot off the smoker isn't the best representation of it. The test will continue after refrigerating & re-cooking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1104.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.46 MB ID:	267547

And even not being a big bacon guy, I can tell already this is WORLDS better than the best storebought bacon I've had.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1101_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.21 MB ID:	267548

I sliced these more like brisket, kinda forgot what I was doing...but I like thick bacon when I have bacon, which isn't often.

If all goes according to plan, tonight will be homemade bacon cheeseburgers. I feel like I coming down with the crud, so who knows what the near future holds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1105.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.67 MB ID:	267549

Comment

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Thicker cut slices grill up really well.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic lookin' bacon, Huskee !!! Scottish, Irish, welsh, n' German, here, so no love of great food or alcohol!;-) There's bin' some talk o' some Anglish also bein' involved, but that always ends in a bloody row! 8-0

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Atalanta I need to re-visit skilletless eggs & bacon. Lay several slices of bacon down on the grates, slightly overlapping to form a fairly liquid resistant base, then crack a few eggs right on the bacon. Since this is precooked and doesn't overcook easily, it would be perfect...in theory

More bacon. I had a 'gonna die early' breakfast of just 7 slices of bacon. This was the maple.
    What I appreciate about this recipe of Meathead's is the salt level. I like a good amount of salt on my food, yet most storebought bacon to me is so ridiculously salty I almost can't stand it. This recipe is perfect- you don't notice the salt. I didn't think 'this needs more salt' nor 'this is too salty'. To me that's a sign of success, when you only notice positives.

Fried up of course it's even better than hot off the smoker.

This is cold out of fridge

Click image for larger version

Name:	hc_1485444428689.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	267772

And this was breakfast. I had a couple thin bacon-like slices and a couple thick ham steak slices. Yummo.

Name:	bacon 1-26-17.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	267773
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's 08:30 where I am and all I have in the fridge is Costco bacon. I know we are not to get into health issues but it really healthy for me to be this jealous of you this early in the morning?

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      My address is....

Great looking bacon! I'm with you on the salt levels, and one of these days I might have to try bacon. Ya think it'll work on the PBC?

Comment

Brisket, it's what's for dinner! Cooked on my BGE at ~235 average temp for about 15 hours. I did not inject or crutch.

Two hours before coming off the smoker. My first peek at it.

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	268220

Out of a two hour faux cambro.

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	268219

A few slices to get me started. Yeah I know, no smoke ring

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	268221

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I was surprised that the bark got that dark in the last 2 hours, but nonetheless it was tasty and the meat was moist. You may be right on the smoke ring color.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy Ya nivver said in yer OP, but my best' guess is it had to do with smoker wood type, an' quantity...please, elaborate, at yer convenience, Good Sir.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones What I think happened was I didn't get the Fruita cherry chunks over the burning lump (a little to the left) and the lump burn pattern was to the right away from the wood.

I have a nice chuckie going right now. I am using the KJ Jr. I wanted to see how she does with a long low and slow cook. So far so good, I've got that clear smoke rolling! Holding strong at about 250 F. She is looking good so far! Believe it or not, this is the first chuckie I have cooked in recent memory. Doing a smoked poblano pepper too.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1894.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.96 MB ID:	268503

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	268508

Name:	IMG_0372.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	268509

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never smoked a poblano. Sorry I'm no help.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, me either. fuzzydaddy

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cook the peppers hot until the outside chars. Take the outer layer off - it will crinkle off. Let it cool. Cut the top off and very gently scrape the insides out - I use a potato/veggie peeler. Stuff and then smoke!

Darn, I've got a wait a week for the best. That's why I made 2 batches of the Cowboy Candy (1 for sampling during the next week). First time to make these.

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	268521

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	268522

Comment

Whats cooking;

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Real cool pic!! Looks delicious!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      The shot was taken with a Nikon D800 with a sigma 50mm f1.4 Art.. Great combo..
      Thanks for the comments!

Great lookin' ribs!

Comment

Sous vide and pan seared beef tenderloin

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170128_182706.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	268593

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170128_182727.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.28 MB ID:	268594 ​​​​​

Comment

• lschweig
        lschweig commented
        Editing a comment
        OMG I just did a face plant into my Monitor.

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks perfect!

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	268634Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0937.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	268631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	268632Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	268635

I did chuckies on my PBC today. The first one was a bone in roast from a side of beef we had gotten, the second was from the local butcher choice grade.

i rubbed them down with the PBC beef rub, kosher salt, and olive oil last night

started the coals at 830am this morning and had the meat on by 9am

using my Maverick to monitor temps, I put the probe in the bigger of the two

PBC temp was averaging 240F, I cracked the lid at one point when it dropped down to 230F and brought it up to 290F pretty fast

Crutched them at 150F with some porter beer and put them back on till 208F and took them off at 3p

drained the liquid from the foil and used that for a gravy (awesome!)

the bigger roast was was the best, not sure if it was just better meat or better since that was the one I was monitoring the temp in, both were great

Attached Files

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks really good!

Fantastic lookin' Chuckie, Wando52 !!! I'm fixin' t' try my hand at a nice one tomorrow....wish me luck!

Comment

• Wando52
        Wando52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck, I'm sure it will be fantastic, be sure to share some pics!

The Mrs Birthday. She loves baked potato and seafood. So I decided to put those two together........crab and mascarpone cheese stuffed twice baked potato topped with shrimp and lemon butter sauce.

And she loves chocolate.... So, Ya know.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        TheCountofQ I have had exactly zero culinary training!! I'm hack like you. HAHAHA, I wing everything, can't be bothered to follow recipes.

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Either way, I'm impressed with most everything I see you photograph and post here. There are a few others around the site that I suspect have some training. They probably wouldn't admit it either!! :-D

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahaha, unreal man!!! You are the KING!!!!!!!! Ascend your throne.

Ernest those look fan-freakin'-tastic!!!! WOW!!!
      Give my best regards t' th' Mrs, Happy Birthday, an' such...

Comment

Oh my does that look good! Ernest

Comment

Ernest - Another post where I wish I could "like" it more than one time...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here