Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Dinner Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! What diversity in meals! Ours will be more on the traditional side (at least I think it is traditional?). Our son received a smoked turkey from his employer for Thanksgiving, but it didn’t arrive in time for Thanksgiving. So, being raised "waste not want not" it is turkey, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cranberry sauce along with my wife’s cranberry-apple pie. Appetizers are still up in the air.

Comment

ecowper Your menu looks delicious. I wouldn’t change a thing.

What we’re doing is…

Xmas Eve
      Tamales
      Carne asada tacos

Xmas Day
      We’re heading to my wife’s parents, where the menu is likely to be…
      Roast beast
      Possibly ham
      Mashed potatoes
      green beans
      Whatever else my FiL cooks up.

Comment

Well, darn! COVIDhas shown it’s ugly head at our family’s home in Alexandria. See reply #16 above. Sure gonna miss my son in law’s crown toast of pork, but will mostly miss our kids. No alternate menu plan here yet, still too mad.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's a rough time for families who now cannot get together. Staying safe comes with a heckuva price nowadays.

Kathryn

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang it, Larry, I'm so sorry, all the way around.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          We do have family around here. It’ll be fine. Just not as we hoped.

I guess prime rib is on the menu now!

You may want to check your local Publix sales flier for this special, good until the 14th. The meat is "premium" USDA choice, but not Angus. Click image for larger version Name: 62FAA1DA-91BD-4558-B2E5-26E24C23B4CB.png Views: 0 Size: 272.9 KB ID: 1140748 (filedata/fetch?id=1140748&d=1639259971) I picked up a 9

Comment

I usually do prime rib. Looking at that price now, I am doing Pastitsio. Not that hard to make, nutmeg is good for the season, lots of flavor and comfort, and lots of leftovers that freeze well.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I checked out Pastitsio and it looks great. Kind of like moussaka without as much work. I hope you share your cook and recipe later.

Mark V Pastitsio!!!! Greek "lasagna"! Love it!

Comment

I have a Creekstone boneless rib roast thawing for Christmas Eve and a 12lb butterball thawing for Christmas Day. I haven’t decided anything for prep or sides yet. We’re staying pretty low key and if my daughter’s test for the unmentionable comes back negative, we’ll get to see our son both days and his girlfriend will join us on Christmas Day.

I won’t be spinning the bird this time, so will probably spatchcock it and cook it on the MAK. The Thanksgiving whirly bird was good, but just did it. Might even do a spicy bbq style rub and skip the stuffing and taters w/gravy. Wife went to Costco and bought a humongous apple pie and some kind of just toss in the oven scalloped or au gratin potatoes on her own. Holiday meals are when I usually like to try to make it all from scratch,

Comment

Im going the traditional Norwegian Christmas dinner. Bone-in porkbelly, christmas-sausages and meatballs. Potatoes and pickled cabbage (sauerkraut'ish) rendered ribfat and brown sauce on the side.. Christmasbeer and juleaquevit to drink.. Ricecream for dessert.

and due to work this xmas i've speeded up the Christmas and we do it today. 👌👍

Click image for larger version  Name:	16402668397812175760018845425250.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	1146903
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Elton's BBQ; December 23, 2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

There's 2 of us cooking. I'll do a 5" head of beef tenderloin, plus a couple of steaks for the medium well folks. Bring Change Your Life Red Wine Sauce (already in the freezer) and Secretariat Horsey Sauce. Got a request for turkey breast roll -- I deboned last night and made my stock for gravy. I'll salt this evening and tie it up. I'll tie up the beef too and season it. Usual dessert is ice cream cake roll up, iced to look like a Yule log cake. I've found a recipe for a cheesecake stuffed chocolate bundt cake. Already prepped the dry stuff, so it's partly done.

Nephew's girlfriend requested broccoli salad again -- with craisins and pecans. I'm making a massaged kale salad, mainly cause I've got a couple of bunches of kale! Rice to sop up gravy and Stuffing Balls to do the same.

Merry Christmas to ALL!

Comment

I have all kinds of things planned.

Tonight: Clam Chowder in Bread Bowls
                  Tomorrow: Rack of Lamb and sides
                  Saturday: French Onion Soup, Mini-Porchetta and sides

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mmmmmmmm, rack of lamb ….. I’m doing one for my wife and I on Sunday for our own private holiday dinner. She doesn’t know yet :-)

Picked up the 10 lb rib roast from our local butcher. The butcher shop was packed full and there were 7-8 people outside waiting to get in. Super happy I ordered my roast ahead of time and just had to show them my pickup tag.

I also have a 5 lb ham from a local farmer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C246BFFF-F652-41FC-88E0-C7071E7C6B8C.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1147263

Name:	99A5A6E5-E256-4C0B-B672-A760152A75E2.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1147262

Name:	7CE23FCD-2663-497F-A565-F16B0A53F29F.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	1147261

Name:	26BEFEF8-6505-4943-8252-FE36FCF5C02E.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1147260

Name:	B7D110D8-6806-463B-B5C7-4FAF39E3C45E.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1147259

Name:	FB750729-7B9B-4EF5-8A3D-C1E639503598.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	1147258 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh man. There’s going to be great eating at your house! Yum.
                    Ho! Ho! Ho!

Desert is ready..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bottom rack Snake River farms on the left and the butchers cut in the right. 12.5 lbs of Prime Rib dry brining now. I was up in Wisconsin on Tuesday and just had to pick up a pork belly for a nice burnt ends app. Coated with Holy Gospel rub I also purchased from the neighbor to the north.

Plan is to smoke it on the pellet smoker at 2:25 for I’m guessing about four hours.

Question though. I have butchers twine but the butcher said I didn’t need to use it since it is a boneless cut. I wonder if I should tie both of them. Thoughts?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by radiodome21; December 23, 2021, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What Red Man said. See my picture above of the tied roast

• SheilaAnn
                      SheilaAnn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I second what Red Man said. Even cooking, better presentation (if presentation is important).

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Plus, to get it round, you are going trim off a bunch of outside fat. That is fat that many people will cut off and throw away. But if you trim it now, you can turn it into tallow aka beef love.

I picked up a really nice looking Double R Ranch strip loin roast from my grocery store this year for Christmas dinner. I’ve been meaning to do a strip roast for a while now and they’re on sale for cheaper than rib roasts, so I figured I’d give it a try.

Comment

Short, sweet, and simple for us this year.
                      BoarsHead sandwiches and HyVee side salads.
                      I do miss the gathering but it will be nice to just relax and welcome Santa Clause.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                        SheilaAnn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Debra But think about how cool it will be next year in your new kitchen!! Happy Merry!

• Debra
                        Debra commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Happy Merry to you and Family SheilaAnn.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here